KanaGirl's Living Coco & GeoFlora Grow

Veg - day 19

I'm happy to report the girls continue to thrive and are growing very fast. They have regained much of their beautiful green color and I believe they are now able to access at least some of the nutes that are in the amended coco.

They are currently on a 3-ish day wet/dry cycle, they will get a full watering tomorrow.

I am going to continue watering with the compost teas and cal/mag until next Friday, when they will get their first topdress with Geoflora. I am confident by then, they will be fully accessing the nutrients without help from compost tea.
I've also made a note in my journal that I think it would be better to cook my substrate for at least a couple weeks prior to transplant, so that the nutrients are readily available. The plants were doing really well in the solo cups and right after transplant, they seemed to not be able to access any food (however, that may have also been due to a PH lockout). Either way, I don't think it would hurt to get the substrate going a couple weeks early.

Anyhoo, here are the girls today:

244206726_1016423182535950_6672362684785882699_n.jpg

243918861_914715925804819_7302400960158728294_n.jpg

243506767_265392312117832_6346681854072535722_n.jpg

243564418_957232421527268_6858045020655200012_n.jpg
They look lovely!

Veg - day 21

The lovely emerald green color has returned to the garden. These girls are really moving now. I had to RE-TOP one of the Blueberry (back left) down to the 4th node because over night she stretched 3 inches and was towering over the other 4. I want to keep the canopy as level as possible, so down a node it went. It did not stop her at all, and since last night she is spreading out and working hard on that 4th node. I will have to watch that girl closely, because she is definitely a taller genetic than the rest.

Lights are now approximately 34k lux in the center, about 31k lux on the outer plants.

Somehow I have fungus gnats. Not sure where they came in, and I haven't had to deal with any pests on any of my previous grows with coco. I did add EWC this time, so maybe that's how they got in? Overnight Saturday a generation must have hatched and when I woke up on Sunday, there were a bunch of flies stuck to my sticky traps. At least now I know what they look like - LOL!

I coated the surface of the pots with DE, and this morning noticed just a few on new traps I set out last night. I will watch the tent closely this week and will do a foliar treatment with Mammoth Canncontrol if neccessary.

Here's a few pics of the girls today:

20211004_141116-01.jpeg
20211004_141150-01.jpeg
20211004_141153-01.jpeg
20211004_141156-01.jpeg

Veg - day 26

Not much to report. The girls are doing great, and continue to grow rapidly. They are on a 3-4 day watering cycle and yesterday they received their first top dress of Geoflora and a full watering. Fungus gnats are declining, but still present. There aren't many left, nothing even moving when I jostle the plants. The DE is quite effective; however, I am going to do a root drench on their next watering with Mammoth Canncontrol just to help with future prevention.

Plants were topped a 2nd time for 4 mains. I am hoping to flip these girls in 2-3 weeks, so for now I will just let them grow as they like and top any secondary nodes that rise up to the top.

The girls are really starting to spread out, and some of their leaves on the outside edges were slightly in shadow, so I have moved up the light and turned it up to full power to get a little more coverage (40k lux center; 36k lux outer; approx. 26 inches from top of canopy).

Within the next week or so, I will most likely fire up my other light (ChilLED) and spread these girls out in the tent.

Here are the girls today :yummy:

244465604_565576054749817_390180763022173529_n.jpg
244184605_1286733101775256_2972099489479859431_n.jpg
244281043_1046075096159896_4575110122878831605_n.jpg

Hi there! Just stumbled upon your grow and like what you have going on with coco and GeoFlora. Emilya helped me out with my first organic grow using GF and I'm about 43 days into my current grow. I'm interested in your use of coco. I haven't studied on it but got the impression it dried out very quickly, and I'm wondering if that's the case how the whole thing is working out? Looks like you're watering every 3-4 days, which is in line with what I'm doing in soil. Using coco as the primary medium with GF nutes sounds like a win-win. I'm using Coast of Maine soil that's pretty expensive though I love it, but it's soil and it's heavy and lighter is better in my book. And fungus gnats are guaranteed with rich soil, thought I baked them out but not looking that way!

Thanks for letting me crash your page, I'm onboard with your grow the rest of the way!

Hi there! Just stumbled upon your grow and like what you have going on with coco and GeoFlora. Emilya helped me out with my first organic grow using GF and I'm about 43 days into my current grow. I'm interested in your use of coco. I haven't studied on it but got the impression it dried out very quickly, and I'm wondering if that's the case how the whole thing is working out? Looks like you're watering every 3-4 days, which is in line with what I'm doing in soil. Using coco as the primary medium with GF nutes sounds like a win-win. I'm using Coast of Maine soil that's pretty expensive though I love it, but it's soil and it's heavy and lighter is better in my book. And fungus gnats are guaranteed with rich soil, thought I baked them out but not looking that way!

Thanks for letting me crash your page, I'm onboard with your grow the rest of the way!
Hi Meffa, glad to have you along for the ride!

I absolutely ADORE using coco!! The main reasons are that its very light, offers excellent oxygenation, and is not as pest prone as soil. That said, I am using it the same way you would soil - feed the soil, not the roots. So, I have amended it with EWC (which did come with fungus gnats), a mineral kit, and the Geoflora nutes.

Using a mineral kit from build-a-soil, specifically for coco, I was hoping that there would be no deficiencies like I experienced on my first coco grow with dry amendments. However, I have still had to tweak a little and add some readily available cal/mag to a couple of the genetics that seems to need more. I think that it takes time for the microbes to start breaking down those minerals, and coco is a cal/mag hog!!

I am trying to keep this grow as simple as possible - a lazy lady grow so to speak :laughtwo: I don't want to be a slave to the garden. I want it to be a fun hobby and I want it to be enjoyable, not a full time job!

Coco does dry out much quicker than soil, but since I am treating it more like a soil grow, I am giving the coco wet/dry cycles, which you would not do if using it as a strictly hydroponic media (which I did my last grow).

I try to let it dry out, but not to the point where there is no moisture, more like 1/3 of fully saturated media. I test this daily using a soil moisture meter, and I also lift the pots to judge how light they are.

So far, I am LOVING this grow! It has been very simple and hardly any work at all. I've just been enjoying watching them grow and thrive.

Another thing I've decided to do this grow is to not spend so much time training. I've done scrog, mainline, and manifold training my last 3 grows, and this time I just want to let the plants grow more naturally, not stress them too much and see how they perform. They are doing wonderfully! The only training I'm doing is topping and a little light bending and tucking here and there so that all of the nodes will be even at the canopy.

OH, and BTW, my fungus gnat problem is now GONE!! It didn't take too long. Using DE and a root drench with some mosquito bit tea solved the problem. I haven't seen any in several days. IF there is still a generation hiding somewhere beneath the coco, I'm confident I will be able to eradicate them very quickly :yahoo:

Veg - day 29

The girls are doing well today. Yesterday they got a full watering to runoff, they are currently on a 3 day wet/dry cycle.

I also fired up my other light (ChilLED), because the girls are really spreading out and I was not getting enough coverage throughout the tent. Each of my lights has a slightly different spectrum. My ES300 is more yellow, and my ChilLED leans a bit more white/blue. I do think there are benefits to both these spectrums, the girls love the ChilLED during veg, and during flower, my ES300 definitely outperforms the ChilLED.

What I plan on doing throughout the grow - unless it becomes difficult to move the plants, is to rotate them between the 2 lights so they can get the benefits of both of the spectrums. Obviously, there is some overlap anyway, but I know the plants directly under the ES300 will do better in flower than the ones under the ChilLED.

My fungus gnats are now gone - hallelujah!! And though I'm still cautious that they are gone for good, I know that whatever lies beneath the coco can quickly be dealt with if need be.

I noticed a little deficiency happening to one of the girls - my Alien Rock Candy (bottom right). It appears that it may be a cal/mag deficiency, though not 100% sure. This girl has MASSIVE fan leaves, and I keep thinking I'm going to prune them off so the lower nodes can get some light, but I really want to see if leaving my fan leaves and not constantly plucking them results in a better harvest. So I haven't pulled them yet, and instead have been tucking and bending so that the lower nodes get more light and rise up to the top before flip in less than 2 weeks.

Since I watered yesterday, I decided to make up a little spray bottle with some cal/mag and just foliar feed under the leaves of that one plant - we'll see if that helps.

Here are the girls today. Would love your opinion on pulling those big fan leaves? What would YOU do??

Oct_12_2021.jpg

Oct_12_2021_2.jpg

Hi Kana! Sorry I haven't been around in a few days! Look at those girls! I appreciate your lazy girl philosophy as I know that at no point are you lazy. So meticulous in your tent and dialogue. I dig that! :high-five::passitleft:

Would love your opinion on pulling those big fan leaves? What would YOU do??
I would try to tuck them instead of removing them. Even if they aren’t photosynthesizing at 100%, they will still be available should the plants need backup mobile nutrients later.

I would not pull the fan leaves just yet because they are generating a huge amount of energy for the plant. Later on, after the plant has stretched out a bit there will be plenty of time to remove large leaves that are in the way of buds getting light, but right now, keep those massive photosynthesis factories going so the plant can continue to rapidly grow during veg. Those leaves are not hurting a thing at this point.

I would not pull the fan leaves just yet because they are generating a huge amount of energy for the plant. Later on, after the plant has stretched out a bit there will be plenty of time to remove large leaves that are in the way of buds getting light, but right now, keep those massive photosynthesis factories going so the plant can continue to rapidly grow during veg. Those leaves are not hurting a thing at this point.
Thanks for stopping in @Emilya
That is what I was thinking too, but wasn't 100% sure. I appreciate the advice and I will do just that :thanks:

I would try to tuck them instead of removing them. Even if they aren’t photosynthesizing at 100%, they will still be available should the plants need backup mobile nutrients later.
Thank you @FelipeBlu
I'm on the same page - tucking/bending it will be! I typically have pulled big leaves like that in the past, but this grow I really want to see how these ladies do without all the high stress training.

Appreciate you stopping by :thanks:

Hi there ladybird :)

Sorry I’m a bit late for your first 420 grow!

I love not only your sense of order, but the fact you garden with gloves, coz me too! I HATE dirty anything!

Your plants are beautiful and I can’t wait to see what flowers await.

#girlpower

Back
Top Bottom