Bruce Banner Marries A Watermelon - SIP Grow

Day 48 and day 10 of flower:

Most certainly making progress slowly but surely. With that said I have knocked their nutes back down to 5gr/gal this afternoon.

They all seem to be doing just fine after the trim job they got yesterday and seem to be appreciating the lights a little higher and not as intense. Lesson learned in this department, I think :lot-o-toke:

I have started the slurry test. 1 cup of unused ProMix from the same batch I’m using and 2 cups of distilled water. Initial reading is 6.0 on the nose. Will record and report back the rest of the test once it is done.

Thanks again for all of the input on this :)

Got some righteous stretch going on in there!
I have started the slurry test. 1 cup of unused ProMix from the same batch I’m using and 2 cups of distilled water. Initial reading is 6.0 on the nose. Will record and report back the rest of the test once it is done.
Interesting that it's 6.0 right out of the bag. Normally it would be lower because it takes a few days of being wet for the lime to activate and raise the pH from peat (low) to the 5.6-5.8 they're aiming for at the factory. I'm curious what the soil i the SIPs will show.

Got some righteous stretch going on in there!
I know the watermelon and the banner got a little leggy, oohhh la la hahaha
Interesting that it's 6.0 right out of the bag. Normally it would be lower because it takes a few days of being wet for the lime to activate and raise the pH from peat (low) to the 5.6-5.8 they're aiming for at the factory. I'm curious what the soil i the SIPs will show.
I will try and slurry the SIP media tonight.

30 mins into the slurry and it’s dropped 0.1 point to 5.9. Let’s see what the next 30 mins does.

Day 49 and day 11 of flower

Well feeling good about this grow again. Swinging in the right direction for now :headbanger:

They are stretching that’s for sure! DLI is at 35.08 on average so I should probably raise the lights another 2-3” to knock that down a tad as it’s right on the edge of too much.

VPD over the last averaged at 1.21. Might be a bit on the low side according to the charts as I think I want to be right around 1.3

I did a slurry test of the Wedding Gelato and it came in at 6.3. So pretty much in line with when I probed it. So I am going to have to do something about that and get them all back to 6.0.

They are definitely looking sooo much better than before!

Looking great in there now!
and get them all back to 6.0.
Lower than that. From Premier Tech's website:

"Growing media are packaged with relatively low moisture, so the limestone does not activate for some time; therefore, freshly packaged growing media may have a pH of 4.5-4.9 (saturated media extract test method or S.M.E.). Over time, the limited moisture within the package of an unused growing medium slowly dissolves the limestone, resulting in an older, unused growing medium having a higher pH than when it was first manufactured. This change in the pH will occur a little faster if the moisture content of the growing medium is higher. Typically the pH of an unused PRO-MIX product that is 4-9 months old is 5.2-5.8 (S.M.E. method), depending on the product and the moisture content. A growing medium should be used within nine to twelve months of its manufacturing date to ensure that the pH of the unused growing medium is not too high. However, the starter fertilizer charge and wetting agent degrade over time, which often dictates the best time to use the growing medium."

Looking great in there now!

Lower than that. From Premiere Tech's website:

"Growing media are packaged with relatively low moisture, so the limestone does not activate for some time; therefore, freshly packaged growing media may have a pH of 4.5-4.9 (saturated media extract test method or S.M.E.). Over time, the limited moisture within the package of an unused growing medium slowly dissolves the limestone, resulting in an older, unused growing medium having a higher pH than when it was first manufactured. This change in the pH will occur a little faster if the moisture content of the growing medium is higher. Typically the pH of an unused PRO-MIX product that is 4-9 months old is 5.2-5.8 (S.M.E. method), depending on the product and the moisture content. A growing medium should be used within nine to twelve months of its manufacturing date to ensure that the pH of the unused growing medium is not too high. However, the starter fertilizer charge and wetting agent degrade over time, which often dictates the best time to use the growing medium."
It's better to run soilless at pH 6.0-6.5 IMO.

Cheers!

So I guess you have to choose between the company that makes ProMix and Wastei!
I really think it's better to let the plants do the talking? Numbers only mean something to humans. Plants are all individuals and blindly following set standards will work against your own understanding about plant nutrition.

ProMix is a substrate that's not solely marketed for Cannabis production and is used for many different crops. I run into problem with a pH lower than 5.5 in the medium in soilless and I've kept logs for years. I'm no expert but I do talk from own experience.

Cheers!

I really think it's better to let the plants do the talking? Numbers only mean something to humans. Plants are all individuals and blindly following set standards will work against your own understanding about plant nutrition.

ProMix is a substrate that's not solely marketed for Cannabis production and is used for many different crops. I run into problem with a pH lower than 5.5 in the medium in soilless and I've kept logs for years. I'm no expert but I do talk from own experience.

Cheers!
I speak from experience as well, having run cannabis in pots of ProMix HP for at least 3-4 years. I highly recommend not letting the media rise above the 6.2 mark I mentioned earlier (per the manufacturer as well), and getting it under 6.0 for sure.

If you haven't seen this, it explains why peat-based products are pH'd lower than soil:

I speak from experience as well, having run cannabis in pots of ProMix HP for at least 3-4 years. I highly recommend not letting the media rise above the 6.2 mark I mentioned earlier (per the manufacturer as well), and getting it under 6.0 for sure.

If you haven't seen this, it explains why peat-based products are pH'd lower than soil:

I've covered this many times on this site. Peat is naturally acidic, that is established and well known. That most plants benefit from that pH range is also true(5.2-5.8). I've just haven't found it to be true with growing my own Cannabis and Tomatoes and many old timers will tell you the same story.

If you search for the ideal pH range for growing Cannabis and Tomatoes in soil/peat you will find a range of 6.0-7.0 and not below that.

All generalizations are false. ;)

Like I said to Ke0ncp earlier, he can choose between the options with all the information on hand.
Plants don't lie, humans do. When my plants and logs starts showing findings up to your standards I'll let you know! Lol!

Cheers and all the best of luck and happy growing!

Plants don't lie, humans do.
But I'm guessing you're a human!

Plants tell you when the pH is too high (or low), and then when you test the medium and find that it is, it confirms what the plant is telling you. Most folks don't test the pH of their substrate unless there is an issue with the plant.

Also, what's in it for the manufacturer to lie about the best pH range for their product? Don't they want folks to have success with it?

Back
Top Bottom