Colesdad - Popping My Cherry 2.0 - Growing In Dirt - No Nutes!

Good to see you are back at it. I wish you the best and don't forget to water only when needed.....
Yes..... Only when needed! It's like my dad always said, " do as I say, not as I do".

I'm doing better fighting off the newbie-overwater-syndrome!

I'll second the comment, let them know a second order will be sent their way. I haven't settled on a grow medium provider yet, because they were willing to help you with this grow, I will be sure to give them an order and a test grow of my own.

Their formula looked pretty good. Once I order some, I will post a confirmation here.

Subbed man, I'm interested in your grow along with that soil :)
Good to have you along

Congratulations on the sponsorship, super cool! I like the packaging too, very professional looking stuff.

I'm looking forward to following along. Good luck on the grow!
A pleasure to have you Antics

I'll second the comment, let them know a second order will be sent their way. I haven't settled on a grow medium provider yet, because they were willing to help you with this grow, I will be sure to give them an order and a test grow of my own.

Their formula looked pretty good. Once I order some, I will post a confirmation here.
Not sure how it is going to work for me, we'll see! I know it has done Shadow man well. At least I can promise you'll love the deep earthy smell :cheesygrinsmiley:

i am trying that soil out now also Northern lights sex unknown
IMG_215910.JPG

Update

Well, I emailed Ideal this morning because I thought I had an issue. I had some growth pop above the soil and it never changed its appearance over a few days. Wierd. My first thought was "soil too rich in nutrients, may have burned my plant. Bummer."

BUT, it didn't look as if it ever had the cotyledon. I wiggled it around to look closely, and, the crazy plant was growing upside down! What I was seeing was the root, because the other end has nice and pretty baby leaves (of course they were dirty).

So, I flipped her around and heavily watered the area with bottle water.

So, in a few days I guess we will see if she recovers.

If you want a guide to germinate, here's a link to my method: Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

KingJohnC uses a similar method, but he uses (I believe 300 grit) sandpaper in a matchbox, places the seeds inside and gives them a little shake around. My method accomplishes the same thing, but requires a little more care not to damage the seed.

When I germinate seeds I use a matchbox lined with about 320 sandpaper to shake the seeds in for a minute, it scrapes the sides of the seeds to aid in moisture penetrating the seeds shell.

Pink_Parvat_Grow_Journal_08-01-2013_-_001.JPG

Pink_Parvat_Grow_Journal_08-01-2013_-_003.JPG

After having germination issue with Jiffy peat moss pucks and soil I switched to Rapid Rooters and have had much higher germination rates. Rapid Rooters seem to provide the seed with the perfect amount of air and moisture. I soak my seeds in pH adjusted water for 30-36 hours or until i see tap roots. I cut the Rapid Rooter mat into individual squares then I soak the Rapid Rooter squares in pH adjusted water for 15 minutes before use. Then I place the seeds tap root down into the Rapid Rooter square then place them underneath a light with 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness. I do not use a humidity dome. I hand water with a syringe each day to keep the Rapid Rooter square moist. when I see roots emerge from the Rapid Rooter square I transplant to 5" pots in a mixture of peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae.

https://generalhydroponics.com Rapid Rooter

https://www.perfectgardens.com gh rapid rooter mat 98

Holy Smoke, Colesdad! You got DIRT! And here I thought you were going to be a hempy guy. Good on you,dad. I'm going to have to go all the way back now to see if you left a link to their site. Congrats man! (Easy on the water).

I didn't see anywhere on their site or their bag if this was re-useable. As dirt, I assume it is somewhat re-cyclable, but did they give you any indication how many times you could use it? Or if there was a "booster kit" available?

too old, good to see you man! stupid me, I forgot to put links in the introductory post! I cant go back and edit, im going to ask a mod to help me, I think it should be in the first couple of post. here are some...

Ideal 420 Soil
How to Use
Money back Guarantee!

Holy Smoke, Colesdad! You got DIRT! And here I thought you were going to be a hempy guy. Good on you,dad. I'm going to have to go all the way back now to see if you left a link to their site. Congrats man! (Easy on the water).

I didn't see anywhere on their site or their bag if this was re-useable. As dirt, I assume it is somewhat re-cyclable, but did they give you any indication how many times you could use it? Or if there was a "booster kit" available?

Yup, I done went dirt! I'm not giving up on hempy, may try it again sometime. There is no mention of "recharging" the soil, so I don't think so. They do mention how long the soil provides nutrients fora growing plant, can't remember right now. I'll email them and ask about all these things though.

Edit: recommended growth time of 22 weeks. No recharge available

Update

She is out of critical condition, and has improved to serious, yet stable, condition.

She first popped above ground on the 27th, I was very pleased. After watching nothing happen for 3 days, I pulled her out. She s growing upside down! The root tip was brown, I assume from light and air exposure. However, at the top of the plant there had been growth. The cotyledon had formed, but was hard and brown. I saw a little "green" within, so I trimmed back the cotyledon and put here back in the soil(root down of course).

Two days later and here is our little one, fighting for her life. The cotyledon has spread open and two teeny-weeny leaves are trying to grow. The tips are yellow, but with leaves this small it would be silly to guess at the plants health based on leave color. BUT, simply by having new growth is a sign that there is something going on in the little plant.

A closer picture of the little root tip growing upward, out of the soil
2014-12-02_18_28_44.jpg

This is two days after I removed her from the soil and trimmed the crusty cotyledon off. It has spread open and two little leaves are trying so hard to soak up some LED!
2014-12-02_18_30_19.jpg
CAM006942.jpg

it looks like she'll be ok. let her soil dry out for a couple days and you should notice growth. what distance from the light are you going to keep her?

Back
Top Bottom