Cronichemp's First Indoor DWC 60 Day Wonder & NYCD

Re: cronichemp's first indoor dwc 60 day wonder and nycd

argh
checked on the 60 day wonder and the damn stem tore even more
removed the tie down taped her up hope she heals
looks pretty bad tho dont know if itll heal
and i think air mighta got into the stem at that point also
ill give it a few days see if the top still grows and if she heals then ill remove the tape if not ill just chop it on the node below it and itll at least give me about 8 branches and theyre all about even in height so im hoping theylly take over as the top if the top doesnt recover........:(

il know better about trying to pull it down so hard so fast next time.

Believe it or not, tape that sucker up. It will heal. Even a strip of duct tape will work. :high-five:

yea once i noticed the tear i shouldnt have waited i should have just taken the tie down off and taped it
live and learn, well see how it goes now that it is taped a little late but well see

:helpsmilie:just out of curiousity whats people input on clipping fan leaves to give light to the growing branches? i keep reading its not good to remove fan leaves but i see alot of peoples grows and they do "haircuts" and remove alot of those fan leaves to give light to the growing branches.....

Hi Chronic! Figured I'd sub to this journal of yours, too. :)

Clipping fan leaves and trimming are a nice idea as far as getting more light to the budsites as OMM suggested. However, I wouldn't advise you trim/top/defoliate auto-flowers such as the 60 day wonder, as they are on a tight, fixed schedule (essentially they are in flower from day one - or at least that's a good way to think of it). So, the goal with autos is to not take any of their energy away or slow them down, as you won't get that back in the end. This mostly applies to topping, but you'd be wise to be judicious with any pruning or defoliating on an autoflower, in my opinion. A typical Sativa or Indica can be trained, topped and chopped more in the "veg" cycle, but there isn't a "veg" cycle per se' with autos. What I did with mine, was constantly tucked my leaves out of the way when they covered a budsite - worked great!

I do what OMM suggests as far as 21 and 45 days bloom when it comes to my indica/sativas. Works well. I also just pluck them here or there if they are egregiously blocking a budsite. Like I said, on the autoflower I tried to stick to tucking leaves.

Be careful with the copper wire. Copper is kryptonite to plants. It can kill them with direct prolonged contact. You're probably okay with it covered/insulated, but be careful. An interesting side note, some products for hydroponics contain small amounts of copper that aren't enough to harm the plant, but will kill other algaes, etc. Direct contact or large doses of copper though would be very harmful.

Your 60 day wonder would benefit from more than 12 hours of light a day, but sometimes that's not an option - specifically if you want to keep it with your other plants. Auto-flowers are often better run on their own as they can really benefit from more light than 12 hours a day in flower. Not sure how much yield you will give away if you put it in a 12 hour light cycle. I believe I did 20/4 on my autoflower.

DWC is a great way to grow plants. The best advice I could give would be to make sure you keep your nutrient solution cool. 68f or less is ideal. Dutch Master "Zone" is a great product to help prevent root problems if you are on the border with your nutrient temps. It helps fend off root rot issues and can be used as a "insurance policy" (nothing will be magic though if your nutrients are too warm) or as an emergency treatment if you get root issues. Root rot is the big big challenge with DWC, usually do to nutrient water temps. Temps are 90% of this battle, aeration is about 10%. You don't need much aeration if you have good temps with your nute solution. A lot of aeration won't help much if those temps aren't in line, but it may help some. Does that make sense?

As far as power outages, there are other good hydro options. Ebb N Gro style buckets and Coco Coir drain to waste are very good options as the plants can go a day or two (or more) without being watered, and wouldn't be immersed in nutrients (potentially drowning them) during the outage. But, DWC rocks too, and it's pretty easy to manufacture your own DWC setup. Just wanted to give you some more to consider - I've done/do all 3 styles, so let me know if I can ever answer any questions.

You're doing great so far, and you are wise to keep your lights close like that.

Good luck brother - looking great! :cheer:

Hi Chronic! Figured I'd sub to this journal of yours, too. :)

Clipping fan leaves and trimming are a nice idea as far as getting more light to the budsites as OMM suggested. However, I wouldn't advise you trim/top/defoliate auto-flowers such as the 60 day wonder, as they are on a tight, fixed schedule (essentially they are in flower from day one - or at least that's a good way to think of it). So, the goal with autos is to not take any of their energy away or slow them down, as you won't get that back in the end. This mostly applies to topping, but you'd be wise to be judicious with any pruning or defoliating on an autoflower, in my opinion. A typical Sativa or Indica can be trained, topped and chopped more in the "veg" cycle, but there isn't a "veg" cycle per se' with autos. What I did with mine, was constantly tucked my leaves out of the way when they covered a budsite - worked great!

I do what OMM suggests as far as 21 and 45 days bloom when it comes to my indica/sativas. Works well. I also just pluck them here or there if they are egregiously blocking a budsite. Like I said, on the autoflower I tried to stick to tucking leaves.

Be careful with the copper wire. Copper is kryptonite to plants. It can kill them with direct prolonged contact. You're probably okay with it covered/insulated, but be careful. An interesting side note, some products for hydroponics contain small amounts of copper that aren't enough to harm the plant, but will kill other algaes, etc. Direct contact or large doses of copper though would be very harmful.

Your 60 day wonder would benefit from more than 12 hours of light a day, but sometimes that's not an option - specifically if you want to keep it with your other plants. Auto-flowers are often better run on their own as they can really benefit from more light than 12 hours a day in flower. Not sure how much yield you will give away if you put it in a 12 hour light cycle. I believe I did 20/4 on my autoflower.

DWC is a great way to grow plants. The best advice I could give would be to make sure you keep your nutrient solution cool. 68f or less is ideal. Dutch Master "Zone" is a great product to help prevent root problems if you are on the border with your nutrient temps. It helps fend off root rot issues and can be used as a "insurance policy" (nothing will be magic though if your nutrients are too warm) or as an emergency treatment if you get root issues. Root rot is the big big challenge with DWC, usually do to nutrient water temps. Temps are 90% of this battle, aeration is about 10%. You don't need much aeration if you have good temps with your nute solution. A lot of aeration won't help much if those temps aren't in line, but it may help some. Does that make sense?

As far as power outages, there are other good hydro options. Ebb N Gro style buckets and Coco Coir drain to waste are very good options as the plants can go a day or two (or more) without being watered, and wouldn't be immersed in nutrients (potentially drowning them) during the outage. But, DWC rocks too, and it's pretty easy to manufacture your own DWC setup. Just wanted to give you some more to consider - I've done/do all 3 styles, so let me know if I can ever answer any questions.

You're doing great so far, and you are wise to keep your lights close like that.

Good luck brother - looking great! :cheer:

actually the leaf cutting question is for the nycd the 60 day wonder im not messing with as far as pruning is concerned
thanks for the advise and the input :thanks:

so the fan leaf closest to the tear looks like it croaked
everything else still looks ok
well see what happens next on that one
also debating topping the nycd so i can leave the 18/6 until the 60 day is done
any thoughts?

ok today was a hot day damn room with the tent was way too hot today about 86f
ran out to sears tonight bought an ac for the room so i can keep a good temp
as its coming close to summer its gonna be a sweatbox in there if i dont control the temps, my bedroom has an ac and its comfortably in the low 70's with a 5200 btu ac
small bedrooms lol.
ill be happy if i can keep the room with the tent about 72-75 deg at least that way i know the water is gonna be a couple degrees lower than the room
on another note what i didnt mention when i started this journal is that last thursday i took a couple of the lowest branches off the nycd for clones gonna use one for a mother
used rockwool for one, that one isnt showing roots yet, but i used the sunleaves starter plugs for the other one, that one that is in the starter plug is showing roots now, and this is my first attempt ever trying to make clones, used clonex rooting gel for the rooting, one other thing is the one in the starter plug was a bit larger to start with the one in rockwool was a bit smaller so hopefully itll start showing some roots soon, bought the thing with the starter plugs as a kit thing so it came with the dome thing. :thumb:

still trying to debate if i should put the mother in a pot with some kinda organic soil or the 4pot dwc container basically my veg container.....

:helpsmilie:just out of curiousity whats people input on clipping fan leaves to give light to the growing branches? i keep reading its not good to remove fan leaves but i see alot of peoples grows and they do "haircuts" and remove alot of those fan leaves to give light to the growing branches.....

I know, I'm a noob, but my room mate did a grow and as an experiment, he cut off the fan leaf from one side of a budsite that had a mirror site on the other side... the bud on the trimmed leaf side was about 2/3 the size of the non-cut one.

I know, I'm a noob, but my room mate did a grow and as an experiment, he cut off the fan leaf from one side of a budsite that had a mirror site on the other side... the bud on the trimmed leaf side was about 2/3 the size of the non-cut one.

yea omm suggested and said that alot of people talk about trimming those at day 21 and 45 of flowering
im gonna try it and see most of these guys been doing it for a long time so they must be on to something:thumb:

damn fridays gonna suck i have to move the tent to have space to work on installing the ac stupid things in the way
not gonna be fun trying manipulate everything so i can move the tent :(

damn fridays gonna suck i have to move the tent to have space to work on installing the ac stupid things in the way
not gonna be fun trying manipulate everything so i can move the tent :(

Man, good luck on the move. Congrats on the AC. HECO is going to love you! :circle-of-love:

Man, good luck on the move. Congrats on the AC. HECO is going to love you! :circle-of-love:

lol yea seriously
but the good thing is its a small ac 5200 btu
and an energy saver running about 4.5 amps so it wont be too bad
i was gonna get a portable but its a hassle need to hook up a vent hose and the smallest one runs at about 7+ amps
worried mainly about the amps cause of the outlet going to the breaker and the breakers are 15 amp breakers.

I think it's all about experimentation using the knowledge of those who have gone before us. Most of my grow is based on others knowledge + my own take on it.
I'll probably also trim on day 21 and 45, but maybe just 1/2 the plants sitting in similar light areas...

I think it's all about experimentation using the knowledge of those who have gone before us. Most of my grow is based on others knowledge + my own take on it.
I'll probably also trim on day 21 and 45, but maybe just 1/2 the plants sitting in similar light areas...

yea you gotta find whats right for your circumstances but it doesnt help to learn from other peoples triumphs and mistakes

ok update time for the 60 day wonder and the nycd
got the new ac unit in the room, its nice and cool in there now
gonna switch the lights to 12/12 tomorrow so the nycd can go into flower, feel bad about the 60 day wonder on that short light cycle tho hope it dont hurt the yield on the 60 day by doing that.
gonna go with the straight pro bloom for the 60 day wonder, according to the amount shown on the sheet, been working pretty good on the pro gro so im gonna stick with that.
had a question about lollipopin the 60 day wonder, what you all think about me chopping them lower nodes since its starting to flower i dont want the energy to be wasted on those lower nodes, maybe might be better served to give the upper half the energy to bloom? and how far down would you cut the lower nodes off?

so the nycd im gonna let it transition into the bloom nutes by going half of the veg nutes and half of the bloom nutes this week before i go with the full bloom nutes next week.

also a pic of the 2 cuttings i took off the nycd one for mother one to flower but im not sure if im gonna get 2 out of them only one seems to be showing roots so far, which will be the one im gonna use for a mother.

pictures!!
pictures!!!

clones, yea the cloning container looks empty lol but im staying within the state laws for mmj
1333096281915.jpg

heres the 60 day wonder one showing the tips maybe ill start using a real camera instead of the camera on the phone so everyone can see it better
1333180483354.jpg

1333168050252.jpg

heres the ncyd still looks about the same its getting taller but been a little slower than the 60 day wonder, hopefully when i put it on 12/12 to flower itll start to stretch out a bit.
1333096312377.jpg

the diesel always seems to look saggy a couple hrs before light out and perks up in the am, so yea i took this just a few minutes ago lights going out soon......

oh yea another thing i noticed since i switched to the 5 gallon buckets last week the plants both sucked up a gallon of water each in 6 days so i added the gallon back, ph'd but no nutes because im gonna do a res change in the buckets tomorrow or today depends where u r lol.
funny thing is when i had both of them in the 6 gallon tub together it didnt seem to go down any, i think that kinda strange lol, but now im gonna check at least midweek to see if the water dropped, I actually put in a inspection hole today too so i dont have to try to lift the lid, so i got the caps, drilled the holes since i had to take them out of the water buckets and hang em in empty buckets for a few minutes to move the tent for the ac and i do weekly changes on the res so i dont think adding more nutes would be a big deal would it?

That was quick! On the AC. Can't resist "Cool". :high-five:

I really don't know about messing with the auto. Seems like I remember THsea taking a few bottom leaves off tho. :surf:

yea you gotta find whats right for your circumstances but it doesnt help to learn from other peoples triumphs and mistakes

oops its suppose to be does help lol
damn typos

ok little update went to 12/12 today like i was saying earlier this is to put the nycd into flowering mode but i hope it doesnt hurt the 60 day wonder yield
rooms staying nice and cool now so its nice

pics to follow if i can get the damn thing to upload

Back
Top Bottom