Great Pictures Bro. :cheer:

yea from what i understand it takes about 70 days to fully mature

Re: cronichemp's first indoor dwc 60 day wonder and nycd

its funny and wierd
i look at the picture of a 60 day wonder of dna genetics site
who makes 60 day wonder and my plant looks nothing like it
but i do think it will finish in 60-70 days
alot of people say go to 70 for the 60 day wonder

Got a newbie question for ya bro... Why is it that one of your plants looks very short and bushy while another seems very tall and stretched out? Did you trim one differently, or use a different method on each one? Probably a stupid question, but maybe you can clear it up for me a bit. Thanks.

Got a newbie question for ya bro... Why is it that one of your plants looks very short and bushy while another seems very tall and stretched out? Did you trim one differently, or use a different method on each one? Probably a stupid question, but maybe you can clear it up for me a bit. Thanks.

the shorter bushier one is a nyc diesel from soma, i actually expected that one to be taller. but i just threw into 12/12 last week so its still gonna stretch and probably end up taller but the other one wont be around long enough to worry about it, since its a auto flower plant and the nycd isnt.
the stretchy one is a 60 day wonder from dna genetics, which i expected to be shorter and more like a christmas tree, right now the 60 day wonder is about 2' tall lol.
they were both grown the same way in the same size buckets using dwc bubbler type grow cheap, easy, simple.
havent trimmed the 60 day plant except the lowest nodes which wasnt close enough to the lights for the flowers. the nycd gets trimmed very little once in awhile only where i cant get sufficient light to the growing branches.
so i would say its just because of genetics seeing they arent the same strains.

the shorter bushier one is a nyc diesel from soma, i actually expected that one to be taller. but i just threw into 12/12 last week so its still gonna stretch and probably end up taller but the other one wont be around long enough to worry about it, since its a auto flower plant and the nycd isnt.
the stretchy one is a 60 day wonder from dna genetics, which i expected to be shorter and more like a christmas tree, right now the 60 day wonder is about 2' tall lol.
they were both grown the same way in the same size buckets using dwc bubbler type grow cheap, easy, simple.
havent trimmed the 60 day plant except the lowest nodes which wasnt close enough to the lights for the flowers. the nycd gets trimmed very little once in awhile only where i cant get sufficient light to the growing branches.
so i would say its just because of genetics seeing they arent the same strains.

i hope that made sense

Yeah, think I got it... I am growing an auto strain as well which you may remember since u have been following my journal, but my auto so far has been relatively short a bushy. Almost too short because the leaves are so low to the medium that the tips often rub up agaisnt it and seem to be doing a little bit of damage. The tips also are about as wide as the drip ring now and they sometimes get wet which I don't like... Any ideas on how I could get it to stretch just a couple more inches, or should I just let it slide? This particular plant grew much faster than the other seedlings and had a lot of stretch to it at first (actually too much). So, when I transplanted her into the hydro unit, I buried the rapid rooter and most of the stem deep down into the medium to kind of counteract the early stretching... Since then she hasn't stretched hardly at all and is simply growing taller slowly due only to the large new growth on the top of the plant. None of my other seedlings stretched nearly as much, but I almost killed them all off by early overwatering, this may explain why the others didn't stretch much at all.

i dont know much about this myself atm but i think someone else following this might help along also

as far as the two of mine the nycd also is slowly growing and bushy
but both of my plants had big fan leaves coming off the main stem and at least the first 2 sets has been on the outside edge of the bucket i guess it was so big and heavy it kinda sagged down and rested on the top of the bucket.
what i have noticed was that as soon as the 60 day wonder went into flower mode it started stretching, and that one is the autoflowering plant. also the leaves coming off the side branches look alot thinner like a sativa go figure. so hopefully once your plant goes into flowering mode itll start stretching out a bit as most plants still stretch out 2-3 times the height in flower mode. and my 60 day wonder stretched out alot in flowering and still is growing by the day. i have to raise my lights a couple inches every couple days. making me boost up my bucket for the nycd to keep it close to the light.
the nycd hopefully will start stretching as i put it into 12/12 a week ago, which from what i heard it probably will hurt the yield of my autoflowering 60 day i hope it doesnt hurt it too much
next time im gonna start 2-3 autoflower at the same time so i can keep them all under 18/6 throughout the growing cycle.
hope that helps and maybe someone else can add thier input on here or on your journal...

My autoflower is the same way as the NYCD, the third set of true leaves is sagging I believe due to weight and I am having a hard time keeping them from just resting on the edge of the waterfarm unit and the drip ring... I hope it is simply a weight issue cause this is the only plant that is truely thriving and I really don't want any problems with it. It is a little over 3 inches tall at the moment and is about 8-9 inches wide from leaf tip to leaf tip. Is it common for the leaves that come in after the fan leaves to sag at the tips a bit more than the fan leaves, which simply extend straight out, or am I dealing with something else now? Was going to take a nice long nap, but now I'm too worried about the only good plant I have... I'm afraid if I fall asleep, that the plant will get a lot worse while I'm sleeping and be half dead by the time I wake up! Probably won't happen, but still got me hella nervous!

Also did you top the 60 day at one or two points? Just kinda looks like it may have been topped because of it's stem structure.... But I really don't have a grasp on that quite yet so I may be wrong. If not, then how did you get it to branch out like that, and do you think it is going to help the yield or hurt it? Same thing with the stretching, good for yield or bad? I know I'm not growing the exact same strain of auto that you are, but I;m trying to get a feel for how mine will react to different methods so i can maximize my yield potential (450g per sq. meter). What is the yield supposed to be like with the 60 day wonder? Do you expect it to do better or worse than the creators estimates? I got a shit to of questions for you! haha
What about your lights? From what I could tell in the pics it appears you are using CFL's primarily. Is that correct? Is that due to the height of the space you are growing in, or just a personal preference? I have a friends two T5's sitting in my closet at the moment and I am thinking of taking him up on his offer to let me use them while he stores them here... Think the amount of light the 600 watt HPS is giving off may be a little too much for a couple of my smaller seedlings, but I really have no basis for comparison so it is all just a bunch of speculation at this point. I'm sure just like everything else so far, that I will have to learn the hard way.

My autoflower is the same way as the NYCD, the third set of true leaves is sagging I believe due to weight and I am having a hard time keeping them from just resting on the edge of the waterfarm unit and the drip ring... I hope it is simply a weight issue cause this is the only plant that is truely thriving and I really don't want any problems with it. It is a little over 3 inches tall at the moment and is about 8-9 inches wide from leaf tip to leaf tip. Is it common for the leaves that come in after the fan leaves to sag at the tips a bit more than the fan leaves, which simply extend straight out, or am I dealing with something else now? Was going to take a nice long nap, but now I'm too worried about the only good plant I have... I'm afraid if I fall asleep, that the plant will get a lot worse while I'm sleeping and be half dead by the time I wake up! Probably won't happen, but still got me hella nervous!

im not sure why your top leaves sag more than you existing fan leaves mine usually are perky up top reaching for the light and a little more saggy towards the bottom
maybe someone else reading this post can answer that one for you..

So is the NYCD in a DWC like the 60 day wonder?

yes they are in identical 5 gallon buckets only difference is the nycd has 2 airstones in it the 60 day plant only has one
go figure.....
they also have been using the same nutes
they are now on a slightly different schedule on the nutes but the nutes are the same as far as brand/type
also i did some fan leaf trimming on the nycd and i havent done too much of that on the 60 day plant
only last weekend i trimmed off the 2 lowest fan leaves and 2 lowest branches on the 60 day cause the branches with the flowers on top was way behind the rest of the plant so i didnt want wasted energy on those and the 2 fan leaves well i just wanted them off the bucket lid already

im gonna try and upload some photos to try and answer your last question

yes they are in identical 5 gallon buckets only difference is the nycd has 2 airstones in it the 60 day plant only has one
go figure.....
they also have been using the same nutes
they are now on a slightly different schedule on the nutes but the nutes are the same as far as brand/type
also i did some fan leaf trimming on the nycd and i havent done too much of that on the 60 day plant
only last weekend i trimmed off the 2 lowest fan leaves and 2 lowest branches on the 60 day cause the branches with the flowers on top was way behind the rest of the plant so i didnt want wasted energy on those and the 2 fan leaves well i just wanted them off the bucket lid already

Interesting! Are you using all CFL's? Which brand of nutes?

Also did you top the 60 day at one or two points? Just kinda looks like it may have been topped because of it's stem structure.... But I really don't have a grasp on that quite yet so I may be wrong. If not, then how did you get it to branch out like that, and do you think it is going to help the yield or hurt it? Same thing with the stretching, good for yield or bad? I know I'm not growing the exact same strain of auto that you are, but I;m trying to get a feel for how mine will react to different methods so i can maximize my yield potential (450g per sq. meter). What is the yield supposed to be like with the 60 day wonder? Do you expect it to do better or worse than the creators estimates? I got a shit to of questions for you! haha
What about your lights? From what I could tell in the pics it appears you are using CFL's primarily. Is that correct? Is that due to the height of the space you are growing in, or just a personal preference? I have a friends two T5's sitting in my closet at the moment and I am thinking of taking him up on his offer to let me use them while he stores them here... Think the amount of light the 600 watt HPS is giving off may be a little too much for a couple of my smaller seedlings, but I really have no basis for comparison so it is all just a bunch of speculation at this point. I'm sure just like everything else so far, that I will have to learn the hard way.

ok i did not top the 60 day wonder
i dont know why its stretching so much as i keep the lights very close to the tops, followed the same schedule as the nycd throughout, im hoping it doesnt hurt the yield but one never knows. the plant suppose to be 12-17 inches tall im at 21 now, it suppose to yield about 28+ grams or an ounce give or take some people get more some people have gotten less. and the side branches was close to the top even before i tried to bend the top down a little but when i did do that the damn stem broke on me and i taped her up then i guess the side branches really caught up thinking it was gonna be the main stem. the main branch is almost fully healed now and is thicker where it broke, on a side note the main stem broke it was showing about 3/4 what i mean by that is it ripped about that far through the main stem. so if anyone breaks thier stem even if theres a slight brown around the edge i say tape that sucker up first and give it a few day and see if it heals up.
also the main stem kept growing even while it was healing and still is healing, i estimated it about 2 inches every 2 days earlier but i have to correct myself its growing about an inch every 2 days, i just notice how much i been lifting my light on that end every 2 days. also im not using cfl's they are tubes
cfl's are compact flourescents the ones with the spiral, mine are flourescent tubes, litro grow lights and are t-8's right now 6 tubes on top and 2 tubes on the side so 3 fixtures top 1 fixture side. from what i read for seedling flourescents are the best to use as mh are to strong for the little buggers.
and im using those lights because they are cooler and cheaper to run and i was told these particular lights are good from beggining to end, but was also advised to try and do a scrog, but since this is my first indoor and first grow in many moons, im just letting the first couple do thier thing so i dont stress them and screw it up like when i tried to tie over the 60 day main branch and broke it lol. i guess im learning also but learning the hard way is going into it with no info and winging it. i tried to read and get as much info as i could before i started, i mean i bought a few seeds in the beggining and screwed the pooch on some of those but mainly due to impatients, but once i gained a little patients and figured out how to start it fairly well now things seem to work out great, at least to start the plants out, still working on how to flower them properly.
so heres a bunch of pics ill try to put a little note on top of each so you can follow with what im trying to show you

60 day full body shot hard to see the branching
DSC014033.JPG

heres another full body using a flash maybe you can notice how its branched now
DSC014043.JPG

heres some closeups of the branching and the one with the tape around the stem is the main stem on the broken area and as i said no topping involved

DSC014051.JPG

DSC014062.JPG

DSC014076.JPG

DSC014083.JPG

the top and more branching
DSC014092.JPG

notice the main stem in the middle of this pic no topping but branches are just as tall
DSC014102.JPG

forgot to rotate this one but you can see the tape on the main stem in this one also
DSC014102.JPG

node spacing bottom then top of the nycd you can see the difference in how close it is on the bottom vs the top
DSC014121.JPG

DSC014133.JPG

heres a couple full body of the nycd
notice it the fan leaves sag more on the bottom and more perky up top
DSC014142.JPG

DSC014153.JPG

heres a couple of each plant with a tape measure showing the tip and the measurement
the taller of the 2 is the 60 day wonder
and i have no help holding the tape so it has to stand on its own from the floor
DSC014165.JPG

DSC014172.JPG

DSC014183.JPG

DSC014193.JPG

hope i helped answer some of your questions first-tymer:morenutes:

I think you covered most of it for now. It's kinda cool that the plant responded the way it did when the main stem broke (kinda like topping in the sense that the lower growth then stretches to catch up). May not help the yield since it is an auto and you can't control the length of veg like you could a non-auto. But that is just a theory of mine. What size was it when it broke? I wonder if it would have turned out more like a xmas tree shaped plant like it was described had it not broken? Can't wait to see the final results!

it was actually kind of tall already when it broke
its why i tried to tie it over to let the branches catch up a bit even tho they werent that far below maybe about 3-4 inches lower at the time
also i noticed its been stretching alot in flower mode lol...
i grew a 90 day wonder when i was young and it was nothing like this
although it was in soil and a 5 gallon pot grew about a foot and looked like a little christmas tree, and the smell was penetrating lol
i had the sucker outside in the backyard i was in the 2nd story bedroom closest to it and i could smell the little sucker, i hope this one comes out as good but it definitely isnt gonna look like a christmas tree, looks like theres gonna be nugs all over, hope it becomes nice and dense heavy nugs

Back
Top Bottom