Dataudio's Indoor Blue Dream, 5x5 SCROG, 2 x 600W HID

Thanks JBooze, great to have ya! Nice setup you have as well my friend.

The ladies look great and was not a big issue on the water miss the other day. It truly is a lush sea of green and hope everything stays on track.

So I'm wondering about defoliating underneath the net after letting it go into flower only about a week ago. Is that okay? I'd like to completely clean it up and pull the stuff that's not going to make the team but not sure if that is a nono for this early into flowering? What could happen and should I wait? Would like to do this soon. Thanks! Pics below.

Hey Dat,

Looking good man. I read another good article from thecapn about defoliation. Check it out

Here is an excerpt:

Lower Growth: It IS a good idea to remove, or "prune" the tiny lower "clone" size little branches, that we are sure will never reach the canopy. These little guys use energy from the plant and rarely result in anything but a tiny, whispy, bud that never fully ripens. We can do this at any time during vegetative growth and during flower. Very little auxins exist in these, so removing them doesn't disturb flowering or slow down the plant. Start at the very bottom and take a few of these every few days in the last 2-3 weeks of veg and all the way through flower.

I think it has the answers your looking for!

-JBooze

Nice JBooze, thanks brotha. That is the sort of info I'm after and have much respect for TheCapn, read through the link and found a couple interesting points. I still have an hour or two for the lights to come back on and will continue to read up but this is the exact sort of info I needed.

A point he touches on that I was most curious about is in he doesn't remove any leaves until after the first two weeks of flower. Because plants are still stretching and does not want to slow their growth. With the water miss less than a week ago I don't think these ladies need anymore stress at the moment. He does also state to remove unused branches anytime flower or veg as needed in the same article.

I'm going to keep reading but do plan on pulling a few unused branches here and there over the next week. I understand this is preferred when explicitly trying to avoid any impacts to growth, few and deliberate cuts. Any other thoughts are welcome and will be sure to share any information/experiance I get.

Another interesting item he discusses is to keep fan leaves much lower on the plant even when their not getting sunlight and removing accompanying branching. As lower fan leaves could be used to store extra carbs and sugars for when the plant is ready to use them in flowering.

Hey Dat, those branches you cut off cause they're not used, try and get clones out of them. That way you get plenty more free weed to flower right after harvest.

So you think just cut out what I want now all at once and not do a little here and there over a few days? It's not that much really but again main focus is to not slow any growth as much as possible. Thanks.

EDIT: Started removing a few branches, just went ahead and ended up pulling everything. I'm seeing this is suggested and don't feel like dragging it out anyways. Plus, there really wasn't that much and don't think it will stunt anything based off of what I've removed before (that was veg tho). I'll keep an eye on the growth but right now, it's growing like a beast. Thanks for the input on this aspect.

Also I read several other articles on keeping lower fan leaves under the canopy/light for extra carbs/sugar and found that to make quite a bit of sense as witnessed on harvests. I kept any fan leaves that were near the top when I removed branches. Will post pics when lights on at 6PM tonight.
:hookah:

Hey dat, I just scanned your journal. I like how well you have this documented. Great pictures, great explanation, great grow overall. You are well on your way to a couple lbs of bud I think.

>>>Because plants are still stretching and does not want to slow their growth.

The other reason I don't take off fan leaves in the first two weeks, is because I want the lower branches to stretch up to reach the scrog net. Tops stretch to reach light. If they don't reach it after two weeks, they get cut off. The first two weeks of flower the plant is literally in over drive. Using up more water than any other stage of growth, (which you witnessed while you were gone).

In the first two weeks of flower, if I see stuff that I KNOW will never reach the net, I go ahead and cut it off. No sense in it taking up energy.

>>>It's blue dream and known to fall under it's own weight

I just finished a Grand daddy purple dream (blue dream X GDP) and it was basically a blue dream pheno. Yeah... any cola that was not yoyo'ed up, just fell over and laid on the top of the screen. PITA. Are you going to be able to have a place to hang yoyo's and then a place to stand and tie up colas? What seed company is your purple dream from?

Really really liking this grow. Can't wait to see it progress.

Right on Capn!! Stoked you checked out the grow and thanks for your blessings. Used info from your referenced posting in my trim yesterday.

Much appreciated on the added details around your take on fan leaves. I'm going to have a much better strategy for trimming next grow and think I'll create a sort of trimming schedule or something based off the information I can absorb by then.

I was thinking I could tie up strings from the top of the tent to hold up colas but hadn't really focused on that much up to this point. Those lights are going to get in the way. There really isn't anywhere to stick bamboo in the pots but could figure something out. The canopy is already turning into a dense forest and I'm not sure a bunch of sticks can be ran through it though? Looks like I need to start putting some thought into this soon. I've have considered taking the extra trellis netting I have and zip tying it to the four corners of the tent. Maybe in layers.....will have to look into this more for sure. Thanks!

Also the plants grew from clones I got from "The Clone Store" in Lakewood Colorado. I have no idea what the mother plant was seeded from and what sort of shape she was in. All future grows will be from seed which the next for me will be Purple God Bud and have some details on that in the journal index.

Right on Capn!! Stoked you checked out the grow and thanks for your blessings. Used info from your referenced posting in my trim yesterday.

Much appreciated on the added details around your take on fan leaves. I'm going to have a much better strategy for trimming next grow and think I'll create a sort of trimming schedule or something based off the information I can absorb by then.

I was thinking I could tie up strings from the top of the tent to hold up colas but hadn't really focused on that much up to this point. Those lights are going to get in the way. There really isn't anywhere to stick bamboo in the pots but could figure something out. The canopy is already turning into a dense forest and I'm not sure a bunch of sticks can be ran through it though? Looks like I need to start putting some thought into this soon. I've have considered taking the extra trellis netting I have and zip tying it to the four corners of the tent. Maybe in layers.....will have to look into this more for sure. Thanks!

Also the plants grew from clones I got from "The Clone Store" in Lakewood Colorado. I have no idea what the mother plant was seeded from and what sort of shape she was in. All future grows will be from seed which the next for me will be Purple God Bud and have some details on that in the journal index.

YOu should call them and find out what brand of clones they are. People here might want to start from seed with the same strain.

For the yoyos, you can tie a string around the perimeter of your light, and then hang yoyos from the string. I'm think you're going to need it with the blue dream!

I'm amazed at your will power man! Such commitment to doing a higher quality set-up deserves a bow.

Those dry plant days must have been stressful to you Dataudio, just by seeing them droopy I would panic. Great that they are back up!
I'm actually on planning phase of my incoming 1st 4x4 400MH and 600HPS hydro grow with at least 2 Blue Dream Ladies. I'm also trying to find the perfect 2nd strain to work with. (total 4 ladies)

2x600w is a blast!, and your LED VEG tent makes me wanna invest after my 1st or 2nd grow into a LED for lower temperature and quality vegging.

That Scrog is looking so beautiful. Did you get to train with topping and so on from clones?

And last but not the least, that cozy chilling table you got next to your sofa is wicked! It sure looks like a comfortable spot to stand by watching your ladies whiling burning some up :volcano-smiley:

Good luck and subbed.

Id like to start with a big :420: :welcome:

Now id like to comment on your setup!
Looks absolutely fantastic Dataudio! I haven't seen too many people actually using the airpots with soil. Seen a few hydro setups using them though lol!

I actually have a Blue Widow outdoors and so does my dad, Blue Dream by White Widow...Hope she produces as good as Blue Dream does! It apparently won like 9 awards in my state....
I love how you have security cameras in there like that. Great idea but does the little extra heat they put out effect them at all?

Another concern of mine is if you use some more of that PVC netting you have to hold the buds up and prevent them from breaking the stalks...what happens if the screen grows into the mesh? that would be a painstaking removal if you ask me! Not that it wouldn't work but my mind thinks like that. I would recommend bamboo stakes but someone has beat me to that and you think it may be too little too late to do that...If it is then I guess that is a lesson learned, and something to think of in the future. Now An idea that I have done when I have had massive colas bending and breaking my limbs is to use some of that rubber coated floral wire lightly wrapped around the stalk as close to the bud as possible and tied to a string, ran at an angle attached to a net well above my canopy but just below my light so that the bud still leaned slightly and tension stayed on the string but it never broke my limbs anymore. Just a thought though. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of that....

Im trying to convince my pops to do ScRoG and I think I might finally have him convinced! He has a 3 x 3 Flood system...I run soil and will be going over to the ScRoG method with the set of 6 I just started...

I wish ya the best of luck for the remainder of this Journal and hope you yield some seriously phat sticky dense buds!

So did you ever find out if those were cali connection or hso blue dream? There's quite a price difference in seeds, so I wanna get what you got.

Called this morning and they were going to get back to me this afternoon but figured I'd called again after you posted. She couldn't find any more info so directed me to their main grow facility (which is DenverDam MMJ) talked an individual there who didn't know either but had him ask around. After talking with his co-workers he directed me to a grower that had been there for a few years. He stated that they got this plant as a clone several years ago from an affiliated dispensary and would be tough to hunt down what seed they came from. They backcross their plants and produce seeds as well.

Will have to see how that plays out for my grow, If I could go back in time I'd likely pick up seeds from Humboldt. Clones are $10-15 a pop anyways so it's more expensive than HSO. Bummed actually that I don't know more specifics.....I buy BD every time anyone has it in stock somewhere for comparison....without a doubt that the genetics vary tremendously as one will be purple to the point of almost not believing its BD, one an amazing orange and another thats just green.

I will say that these plants have been stinky and been able to see crystals (or what looks like to me) from just a few weeks in veg so I hope thats' a good sign of the genetics. Wish I knew more.

That Scrog is looking so beautiful. Did you get to train with topping and so on from clones?

And last but not the least, that cozy chilling table you got next to your sofa is wicked!

Thanks GB, actually now that you mention it I have not stated this anywhere in my journal but I did top all 6 of these plants! Twice! Sort of an important piece of info left out. So 24 tops and really only been training since they hit the 5x5 net.

Also good eye on the table - My wife made if for me a few years back and is the best part of the room. It's made out of broken glass from random bottles.

Thanks Devilish, have not noticed heat coming from the camera and in fact it's really cold up there compared to below the lights...AC air drops from above. I did have to shut off the red LED lights that the camera puts off at night since going into flower as it is the cheaper type of camera and plants could sense this wavelength.

Sucks they couldn't go back far enough to find original source. I've got an hso blue dream on my list to order tonight. Gonna do it for the BID memorial grow in spring. Gonna be another long veg plant like my pineapple chunk, but even longer and bigger. Can't wait to see how yours comes out

the genetics vary tremendously as one will be purple to the point of almost not believing its BD, one an amazing orange and another thats just green.

Well this is because numerous people that are breeding in different locals will cross breed 2 differant strains and call it the same thing...Take for instance Blue Dream seeds themselves. There are 2 crossings with the same name. One is Blueberry x Super Silver Haze and the other is Blueberry x O.G. Kush. But those are done by the larger well known breeders. And who knows what the local breeders might Have came up with. Same goes for my Blue Widow. If you research it, there are two cross breeds of this. One is Blueberry x White Widow and the other is Blueberry x Aloha White Widow. But Mine is from a local breeder who Crossed Blue Dream x White Widow....so it can actually be very very confusing sometimes given the phenotypes and crosses involved! I think that is why you have had such a variety of tastes in your Blue Dream tests. And Color could just simply be that someone is lowering their temps in the lights off cycle to achieve those colors where as another grower was not.

There are some strains that will change color based on the Ph of the soil/res. Then again back to the point here...Even if you took 2 clones form one Blueberry Mother and 2 clones from say a Super Silver Haze and you made one of each male. So you had I Male Blueberry and 1 Male SSH. you would have 2 entirely different crossing because of 2 different crossings even thought they were from the same mothers...Another explanation would be that someone didn't back cross the strain well enough and it isn't stable. meaning that regardless of how many seeds you grow of that strain, they do not grow uniformly and the phenotypes are varied extensively.

If I am wrong with any of that info, PLEASE someone step in and enlighten all of us!

I've got an hso blue dream on my list to order tonight. Gonna do it for the BID memorial grow in spring. Gonna be another long veg plant like my pineapple chunk, but even longer and bigger

I see all the great work BID left behind - cool thought on a memorial grow. I'll be tuned in....I've seen a lot of people online get that BD HSO nice and purp without trying too hard. Wish we could compare apples to apples....hope I get half as much color as this HSO BD grow.

Back
Top Bottom