Doozy's 2300W LED - 5x5 - Dinafem Seeds - 1st Grow

I use clean, sharp scissors & I'm not too fussy where I cut but I aim for A.:)
If you're scared of doing it just look at what my Purp did in a week & keep your eye on my updates on phase 2.

I read in I believe doc buds journal that after defoliating his brix levels dropped from 17 to 11. That's the science side of things anyway.

From the little i know about brix levels, isn't that a bad thing?

I use clean, sharp scissors & I'm not too fussy where I cut but I aim for A.:)
If you're scared of doing it just look at what my Purp did in a week & keep your eye on my updates on phase 2.

Any chance you can give me the specific page/post i'm looking for as it's pretty hard to find stuff on your journal these-days, haha. Thanks mate. :)

You could always try defol only 1 of the plants and see the difference between defoliated and untouched.

Tbh the entire grow is fairly uniform so if i decided to do it it would be to all of them, but that's a good suggestion, it's just my personal choice to keep everything as constant as possible with as few variables as i can with this first grow

Thanks all :)

Here you go buddy :)

Phase 1
IMG_0017131.JPG

one week later
IMG_004657.JPG
IMG_004757.JPG

Phase 2 started yesterday
IMG_0006213.JPG

Doozy, Defoliation for me is removing fan leaves that are not getting any light. From your picture personally i wouldnt remove that fan leaf and remove the lower one thats under not really getting any light. I dont start my defoliation until my plants get about twice the size of yours and then I will pinch off with my fingers a few of the bottom leaves. Its really according on what you are wanting to do with your plant. Personally i would never cut my plant like skunnymonster has but im sure he has a reason or method that hes doing. Take advice that you get and read and try different things so you can gain the experience and see what works. Im a newbie by all means and im just telling you personal opinions! Your plant is looking good! Keep up the good work.

What skunny is doing is removing the largest fan leaves at an early point in the plats life to allow the branches to stretch up and get more light. Works. I have done it. Makes the side branches shoot towards the light far quicker than if you didn't remove the few fan leaves covering them...I only do this at 5-8 nodes and only the once. I don't defol again until I'm in flower to allow light to lower bud sights. I follow The defol in flower based on Mr. Krips Grow Manager.

I have a much different understanding of defoliation applied at the proper time line to enhance vegetative growth and flowering. You can see examples of how I defoliate and train my plants in my Grow Journals and Reviews. I would defoliate in vegetative growth 7-10 days before flowering to remove excess fan leaves and open more light to branches and nodes that become bud sites and colas. I defoliate in vegetative growth by removing any fan leaves that are excessively shading the branches and nodes to encourage the nodes to grow larger and produce more colas. I use Low Stress Training to tie the branches of my plants to the outer edge of the rim of the pots and each branch becomes its own bud site and cola. When I defoliate in preparation for flower I leave no more then 4 fan leaves at each growing top and remove the majority of the fan leaves, any fan leaf that shades a top and lower growth, this is a perfect time to select cuttings to root as clones from the plants you are about to place into flower. I defoliate in flower at days 21-25 of flower when the stretch phase has ended by removing lower growth that will not produce anything except for popcorn bud and any fan leaf that shades a bud site and again if required at day 45.

KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal

KingJohnC's Brainstorm Haze Soil Indoor Grow Journal

KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal & Review

There is a good example of how I defoliate in this Grow Journal and Review

KingJohnC's Twilight Groups LED 432W Spider COB Seed Cabinet Grow Journal & Review

Thanks for the info KingJohnC, i have been thinking about it and i have decided that i will defoliate, and i think it's much more likely that i will do it in the method you have suggested. Do you think this plan below could work?

A) 1 week before scrog screen is put up - defoliate

B) 1 week after scrog screen is put up - flip to flower

C) Potentially defoliate in flower around day 45.

This is what i've been contemplating in order to fill the screen and get as many bud sites as possible....i've already been topping and LSTing where i can, but the plant is so short and stocky i can only really tie leaves out of the way, and even this is becoming really difficult.

Any further advice would be great, i'm a little confused as to how to move forward at present.

Should i get some more pics up from above the plants maybe?

Thanks loads :)

You will also need to defoliate your ScrOG screen at day 21-25 of flower and remove any lower growth below your ScrOG screen and remove any fan leaf shading a bud site. Yes please post some current photographs of your plants.

Yes you should defoliate and remove any fan leaf shading a bud site. Defoliating will open up the bud sites to the light and allow greater development of secondary growth sites.

I've just taken a few more pics with the lights off to give you a clearer idea of the current situation. :)

Plant 1

P1150522.JPG

P1150528.JPG

Plant 2

P1150523.JPG

P1150530.JPG

Plant 3

P1150524.JPG

P1150532.JPG

Plant 4

P1150526.JPG

P1150533.JPG

I suppose my real question is what exactly should i do to them? I'm a bit worried because they do seem very happy, but conversely, they are a bit too bushy and i can see why they may need to be thinned out, i'm just a bit confused where to start!

Thanks again :)

you will never get a 100% answer,some say its the shit,some say its shit,I prefer to take some everyday rather than a scalping all at once
and I never prune a couple of weeks before flip,I do remove some in the 3rd week and late 6th week of 12/12

the girls are looking great.

There you have it Doozy, the world of cannabis cultivation is full of many styles, ideas & methods. Over time you'll find what fits best with yourself, there's no right or wrong way to grow so just do what you feel is right & see how you go :)

Back
Top Bottom