Emmie's 6 Plant, True Living Organic, LED Grow Journal

Highya Emmie,

2.56 oz in a 3 gal pot. That's pretty impressive. Nice work. Cheers

We are just about at the end of this journal and there are just a couple of pieces of old business still on the table. One remaining bit was the Wappa plant that was first harvested and then put back in the room for the lower buds to develop and hopefully go to seed. She lasted for almost 4 more weeks and then she spectacularly died.
I have left her in the room to dry on the vine all of this time. Tonight, seeing the eminent delivery of my new Magic Butter Machine, I stripped all of the dried buds into a bowl and hand pulverized them all, searching for seeds. This shake will be some of the first product to go into the butter machine, but I am sad to report that no seeds were developed in this experiment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Thinking about it, the plants that I have seen go to seed like this were always stressed somehow in mid flower, and not at the end like this one. Oh well, nothing lost by trying.
~~~Emmers

We are just about at the end of this journal and there are just a couple of pieces of old business still on the table. One remaining bit was the Wappa plant that was first harvested and then put back in the room for the lower buds to develop and hopefully go to seed. She lasted for almost 4 more weeks and then she spectacularly died.
I have left her in the room to dry on the vine all of this time. Tonight, seeing the eminent delivery of my new Magic Butter Machine, I stripped all of the dried buds into a bowl and hand pulverized them all, searching for seeds. This shake will be some of the first product to go into the butter machine, but I am sad to report that no seeds were developed in this experiment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Thinking about it, the plants that I have seen go to seed like this were always stressed somehow in mid flower, and not at the end like this one. Oh well, nothing lost by trying.
~~~Emmers
Magic butter machine is one of my best purchases for a while. Takes hours of work out of the equation and edibles are far more potent now. You will love it!

Always getting good info from your grow Emilya, I saw some cheap small humidity meters but was planning on using paper humidity tests. Now I know I'll stick with the paper tests. While a digital readout is nice, accuracy is important too.

Great journal. Thanks for teaching us all so much. And thank you for helping to get me off on the right foot. Your time has not been wasted.
Always getting good info from your grow Emilya, I saw some cheap small humidity meters but was planning on using paper humidity tests. Now I know I'll stick with the paper tests. While a digital readout is nice, accuracy is important too.

Thank you guys, I am very happy that we all learned something from this journal. I would like to think that as I continue on this journey along with the rest of you, that I will continue to experiment and learn new things with each grow. It is very enjoyable to be able to share these experiences with all of you, well at least most of the time. Tonight we are going to learn a little bit more.
:passitleft:

It is time to come clean and finish my report of this grow with our last long running plant, NYC Diesel. NYCD has died.
:rip:

DSCF7064.JPG

It has been my task over the last few days to figure out why this happened. It was sudden and dramatic and despite my best efforts to save her, in her 11th week she suddenly developed severe macro nutrient deficiency symptoms.
I had made the problem worse by not understanding my cheap multicolored lights and how powerful they really are. I hurt both the Jack and NYCD by moving them way too close to the light around week 8. Jack recovered well from the abuse but NYCD bleached out 3-5 of the buds at the top, and the problems seemed to get worse from then on. I believe now that even here at the end, the light was a bit closer than she wanted it to be and I was pushing her way too hard.
:cool:
There was a larger problem going on that had my attention and I saw my first signs of it in Jack going into the 10th week in these 3 gallon containers. They were running out of some of the nutrients and I was having to supplement K and P to knock back the symptoms. Without @AngryBird's banana juice, she would have died sooner than she did. I realized too late that I should have gone with at least a 5 gallon container to run this long because all of the short running plants had done fine, excellent as a matter of fact, but here was NYCD who was expected to go 12-13 weeks. She didn't have a chance.
:rolleyes:
The soil suddenly lost its balance and went dramatically acidic. The mineral spike areas were death zones with a measured base pH of 4.6. This low of a pH can not support life and suddenly on the last watering the myco fungi died and a majority of the beneficial microbes also were not able to survive. The water/nutrient cycle stopped.
The soil actually went flat and lost the ability that makes it soil, the ability to clump... I have never seen this so dramatically in a container. The level of the soil fell an inch and a half or more! The soil compacted, and could no longer hold oxygen. This container is a now a death zone.
DSCF7065.JPG

What did I do wrong?
Too small of a container for a long running plant. Duh. I knew better, but did it anyway.
And, I did it in old soil that had not been amended for a while... Duh.
RIP dear NYCD... we will meet again. She got far enough to have some trichomes before the top died... some of her will go into the butter machine.
Don't do what I did. Sometimes I can be a real dunce. :lot-o-toke:

So this is basically the end of this journal. I am glad that you all enjoyed it and I hope you catch my next one when I decide to start. I need to take a little pause at this time while I deal with the new emerging laws in this state, and I have some decisions to make. I will be back soon though and will have plenty to journal about... I have 6 months supply here now at best and am already thinking about how I would run a SCROG under my new light to maximize yields with a legal plant count.
:ganjamon:

Be well everyone and I hope your gardens go well! I am still here on the forum doing my thing, even without a garden in the background. Thank you all for your support, all the references given to new people linking to my work, and your choice to make me the March MOTM. This journal has been a joy to present to you and I have learned a lot! Another completed journal is in the books. ~~ Emmie
:circle-of-love:

Thank you guys, I am very happy that we all learned something from this journal. I would like to think that as I continue on this journey along with the rest of you, that I will continue to experiment and learn new things with each grow. It is very enjoyable to be able to share these experiences with all of you, well at least most of the time. Tonight we are going to learn a little bit more.
:passitleft:

It is time to come clean and finish my report of this grow with our last long running plant, NYC Diesel. NYCD has died.
:rip:

DSCF7064.JPG

It has been my task over the last few days to figure out why this happened. It was sudden and dramatic and despite my best efforts to save her, in her 11th week she suddenly developed severe macro nutrient deficiency symptoms.
I had made the problem worse by not understanding my cheap multicolored lights and how powerful they really are. I hurt both the Jack and NYCD by moving them way too close to the light around week 8. Jack recovered well from the abuse but NYCD bleached out 3-5 of the buds at the top, and the problems seemed to get worse from then on. I believe now that even here at the end, the light was a bit closer than she wanted it to be and I was pushing her way too hard.
:cool:
There was a larger problem going on that had my attention and I saw my first signs of it in Jack going into the 10th week in these 3 gallon containers. They were running out of some of the nutrients and I was having to supplement K and P to knock back the symptoms. Without @AngryBird's banana juice, she would have died sooner than she did. I realized too late that I should have gone with at least a 5 gallon container to run this long because all of the short running plants had done fine, excellent as a matter of fact, but here was NYCD who was expected to go 12-13 weeks. She didn't have a chance.
:rolleyes:
The soil suddenly lost its balance and went dramatically acidic. The mineral spike areas were death zones with a measured base pH of 4.6. This low of a pH can not support life and suddenly on the last watering the myco fungi died and a majority of the beneficial microbes also were not able to survive. The water/nutrient cycle stopped.
The soil actually went flat and lost the ability that makes it soil, the ability to clump... I have never seen this so dramatically in a container. The level of the soil fell an inch and a half or more! The soil compacted, and could no longer hold oxygen. This container is a now a death zone.
DSCF7065.JPG

What did I do wrong?
Too small of a container for a long running plant. Duh. I knew better, but did it anyway.
And, I did it in old soil that had not been amended for a while... Duh.
RIP dear NYCD... we will meet again. She got far enough to have some trichomes before the top died... some of her will go into the butter machine.
Don't do what I did. Sometimes I can be a real dunce. :lot-o-toke:

So this is basically the end of this journal. I am glad that you all enjoyed it and I hope you catch my next one when I decide to start. I need to take a little pause at this time while I deal with the new emerging laws in this state, and I have some decisions to make. I will be back soon though and will have plenty to journal about... I have 6 months supply here now at best and am already thinking about how I would run a SCROG under my new light to maximize yields with a legal plant count.
:ganjamon:

Be well everyone and I hope your gardens go well! I am still here on the forum doing my thing, even without a garden in the background. Thank you all for your support, all the references given to new people linking to my work, and your choice to make me the March MOTM. This journal has been a joy to present to you and I have learned a lot! Another completed journal is in the books. ~~ Emmie
:circle-of-love:
Too bad about the nycd but thanks for the spirit of experimentation! I picked up lots here during your grow Em, enjoyed it very much thanks. Enjoy your harvested weed.

Thank you, Emmie. I enjoyed your journal very much. I also learned a lot. All natural ingredients and nutes fascinate me. Already looking forward to your next one. Cheers

Wow Emilya. That was a pretty thorough breakdown. Unfortunate about the quick death. I’m sure the lessons learned here will help others. Including myself.
Thanks UA, I too was shocked how sudden it was. Now I know what can happen though, and will be much more aware of this possibility in the future. I wonder just how many times you will ever see me finish out in a 3 gal hard sided container again? :) Lesson learned.

Thanks for the adventure, great grow, Happy trails
Thanks Dynamo!
Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.
Happy trails to you,
Until we meet again.
Happy trails to you,
Keep smiling until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song, and bring the sunny weather.
Happy trails to you,
Until we meet again.
---Dale Evans

RIP NYCD Harsh event but it sounds like you’re taking it in stride like a champ yourself
Thanks for the great journal! I’ll be looking forward to your next adventure for sure and be seeing you around the boards in the meantime!
Thanks Amy! The test buds from Jack that are just now drying out are helping a lot with the pain. LOL Jack will be a good substitute, because I was craving that hard heavy sativa head high that NYCD was going to give me... and Jack is pretty good at that too. Now I have more time to better keep up with your adventure and those gorgeous pictures that you take. Thank you for all you do too!

:peace: Thank you, Amilya, for this journal. I have learned so much along the way. Look forward to seeing what you will do next. Until then, peace.
Peace and Love to you too Bluenoserjoe, I loved having you along on this journey! I will be back soon with another journal, but I am thinking seriously of selling the place and finding a place a little more secluded where I can have an outdoor garden like Amy has... or at least a Missouri version of it.

Too bad about the nycd but thanks for the spirit of experimentation! I picked up lots here during your grow Em, enjoyed it very much thanks. Enjoy your harvested weed.
I enjoyed having you here too SO, you and Mrs. Otter too! I am very pleased that you enjoyed what I was trying to accomplish here, and it was very nice to see you following along. Thank you!

Thank you, Emmie. I enjoyed your journal very much. I also learned a lot. All natural ingredients and nutes fascinate me. Already looking forward to your next one. Cheers
Thanks Bode, it was great seeing you here and seeing the conversations that developed around the work I was doing. I am happy that we all were able to learn a bit together... that is exactly why I do it. Next one is soon... maybe I should work on that book while I have some time? :)

Thank you everyone! I love you all! :peace::love:

I went through the last bit of the journey now. and read some earlier pages..
Thanks @Emilya . Great journal
Thank you Strain... much appreciated. :)

Since they haven't moved this over to the completed journals yet, I figured I would add another comment.
I see a lot of new journalists lament than no one comments on their journals and that there is not a lot of activity in them.
Look what I just did here.
I have you once again reading my old journal. :)

The secret to a successful and active journal is for you yourself to be active. I would try to post something at least every day or so, sometimes even more often, while this journal was going strong. Each posting, even if it is just a pretty picture... you get a new chance to draw in readers. Keep this up for 4 months, and you can gather a crowd. If people aren't coming to your journal, make more noise!

That's all I got. I am enjoying the product as it continues to cure. Still just contemplating the next grow.
Be well everyone! :peace::love:

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

I seem to have built up a lot of readers on this thread, so I will use this as a quick and easy way to announce that I will be starting a new grow journal very soon with some very special seeds on my first totally legal Missouri grow! I haven't found a new place yet, but that is ok... if I have to, I have moved plants before. :)
Today I have been working on one of my bins of supersoil, adding quite a few amendments to it for this landmark grow. I have added some partially used bags of stuff laying around here, some earthworm castings, old forest humus, a half a bag of perlite... and then I went for the good stuff and added back in to this well used soil a goodly amount of azomite, oyster shell flour, dolomite, epsom salt, bone meal, RealGrower's Recharge, Happy Frog 5-5-5 organic, rock phosphate, humic acid... and the result of all this mixing is a sweet smelling soil that smells just like the forest floor.
I realized when I smelled it that this soil is just fine and very rich, and I have put off my plan B of buying one of the commercial supersoils... my 7 year old soil is just fine. The majority of this mix will cook for the next 2 months and will be used as a base layer in final 10 gallon GeoPots and I will start up this weekend germinating and moving to solo cups. I will sneak a bit of this newly amended soil into the bottoms of all of the containers as we successively uppot so that some of this mineralized soil will be at every layer for the roots to eventually find.
I will be growing out a special gift that came just for me from @santero, the well known German breeder, called Berry D-licious ... a cross between Shishkaberry x Sour Diesel. Thanks San!
My goal will be to bloom 2 large plants under a 2x4' SCROG maximizing my new COB lights while also producing a couple of carefully fertilized buds for seeds in the process. I will be starting 7 of my 10 seeds with this goal in mind. I will have great soil, new lights and amazing genetics, plenty of spare LEDs... this should be epic. I hope that several of you will follow along when you see the new grow highlighted in my signature and on my links page... it won't be long!

Back
Top Bottom