First Ever Closet Grow Using a 300 Watt CFL - a Bit of Skill and a Lot of Luck!

Re: First ever closet grow using a 300 watt CFL, a bit of skill and a lot of luck!

Hey guys, I don't know if I've done a crazy thing but I've just spent the last half hour hacking fuck out of my plants

When I say hacking fuck what I really mean is I have chopped off every single "top" on all 3 plants at the same time. Now I'm gonna get twice as many bud sites, is this right?

I'll keep you posted :)

Re: First ever closet grow using a 300 watt CFL, a bit of skill and a lot of luck!

Hey guys, I don't know if I've done a crazy thing but I've just spent the last half hour hacking fuck out of my plants

When I say hacking fuck what I really mean is I have chopped off every single "top" on all 3 plants at the same time. Now I'm gonna get twice as many bud sites, is this right?

I'll keep you posted :)

Yeah nothing wrong with topping the plants, like you say more heads! Dont worry about using lime especially if you want to keep it organic, just use a Tbsp per pot and put it 1 inch under the soil and water it in. it wont harm, its a soil improvel and will give a natural supply of cal mag and keep ph in check. But like fish said " If it aint broke dont fix it, dont worry , they fine.

Hey dude, I hope you are well.
I may add some lime but I don't really have experience with it and I guess once it's been added you can't really take it away.
I'm wondering if I adjust the pH of the water to around 6.0 then water; surely the run off will read less than the 7.5-7.9 readings I've been getting? Is this what mcloadie meant by "pH the soil"? Peace bro.

To Ph a soil, you can soak a small amount of soil in ph neutral water then check it. If you're organic, you can just adjust the water. Get your water to a neutral Ph and you've eliminated ever wondering if that's it or not. your plants just look like they got burned a little early on, they're over it and want to grow like crazy. Bro, if your plants are healthy they can withstand alot of mechanical damage. I mean the plant sees topping as damage, and we take advantage of the results, just don't take more than the plant can recover from very quickly. BTW, I don't even check Ph anymore.

To Ph a soil, you can soak a small amount of soil in ph neutral water then check it. If you're organic, you can just adjust the water. Get your water to a neutral Ph and you've eliminated ever wondering if that's it or not. your plants just look like they got burned a little early on, they're over it and want to grow like crazy. Bro, if your plants are healthy they can withstand alot of mechanical damage. I mean the plant sees topping as damage, and we take advantage of the results, just don't take more than the plant can recover from very quickly. BTW, I don't even check Ph anymore.

Hey man call me stupid but I still don't understand. I mean how does that work? Does the soil change the pH of the water and what change should I be looking for, as in what number should the water be after the soil has been in it?
Many thanks for your patience.

They look fine newbie, just give them water when needed. is that your final pot or do you have a bigger one before flower?

They look fine newbie, just give them water when needed. is that your final pot or do you have a bigger one before flower?

Hi JCB, the smallest one is in its final pot (12 litre bucket!) however if the soil that its in becomes solid and compact like it did in the previous pot then I will have no choice but to re-pot. I'm hoping this doesn't happen; but because I had no choice but to use potting soil when i re-potted them then I'm thinking that the problem will come back as I believe the potting soil to be full of sand, heavy stuff and little nutes so I may be forced to re-pot.
I was wondering if I just topped up the bucket with fresh flowering soil when needed will this be ok if I feed them when needed from that point.
What do you think mate?

Yeah you can always mix up the soil with a compost or something. Try adding some perlite to the mix to stop compacting. I have a journal below with some good organic minerals and such to add to soil for an organic slow release feed.

Also, bottom feeding reduces compacting.

Yeah you can always mix up the soil with a compost or something. Try adding some perlite to the mix to stop compacting. I have a journal below with some good organic minerals and such to add to soil for an organic slow release feed.

Also, bottom feeding reduces compacting.

Hi guys, thanks to the LOVELY PEOPLE AT HM REVENUE & CUSTOMS; I have been awarded some much needed dollar!

I've ordered 3 x 5 Gallon Smart pots from a reputable, (jungle sounding :)) online shopping site,
pot25.JPG

along with 60 litres of John Innes Number 3.
When they arrive my bitches are all getting transplanted IMMEDIATELY whether they like it or not!!!

Man these ladies drink some water. They need it again already and it's only been 5 days :(
IMAG012821.jpg
IMAG012716.jpg

I found hairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys a couple of pics for you to examine. This is the baby one which is unfortunately in John Innes Seed soil (only thing I had to hand, plus I had no money :()
I'm guessing it's showing a deficiency in something.
IMAG012922.jpg
IMAG013017.jpg
IMAG013115.jpg
IMAG013216.jpg
IMAG013314.jpg

Kinda looks like either nute burn or PH issues

Did you fertilize doob?

Hi mcloadie, no I haven't used any fert up until today.

The leaves have gotten worse and is now showing on all three plants, just didn't have time to photograph every single leaf!

I used some fert on the baby one today, watered them all at pH 6.8, run-off was 7.0, dunno if this is ok.

The second biggest one has had the same thing that happened to the baby one which is it that the soil has become solid and compact, when I watered earlier I had to wait like an hour and still there was water coming out and floating around on the top of the pot :(

Can only hope when I transplant them (A.S.A.P!!!) that things may settle down, I really hope these "Smart" pots are worth the bloody money I spent on them!!!

Kinda looks like either nute burn or PH issues

Hi mountaingoat,thanks for the advice, I can't understand it being pH issues as I pH the water every time.

I'm not sure it will be nute burn as I haven't added any, and the symptoms have only gotten worse in the last week.

Unless it has nute lockout due to the compacted soil?

I'll be transplanting as soon as the postman appears :)

Hi mcloadie, no I haven't used any fert up until today.

The leaves have gotten worse and is now showing on all three plants, just didn't have time to photograph every single leaf!

I used some fert on the baby one today, watered them all at pH 6.8, run-off was 7.0, dunno if this is ok.

The second biggest one has had the same thing that happened to the baby one which is it that the soil has become solid and compact, when I watered earlier I had to wait like an hour and still there was water coming out and floating around on the top of the pot :(

Can only hope when I transplant them (A.S.A.P!!!) that things may settle down, I really hope these "Smart" pots are worth the bloody money I spent on them!!!

Yep, drainage, transplant is good, I use 25% perlite. 7.0 Ph is good. It sucks that your original soil dosen't drain well, But, once those roots get out of it into your new aerated soil things should improve.

Yep, drainage, transplant is good, I use 25% perlite. 7.0 Ph is good. It sucks that your original soil dosen't drain well, But, once those roots get out of it into your new aerated soil things should improve.

Wow am I pleased to hear that, I was thinking I would be stuck with the problem forever!

So let's say I use 3.5 gallons of soil; would I use 1.5 of perlite?

Glad about the pH too.

Thanks for your support mate :)

Hi mountaingoat,thanks for the advice, I can't understand it being pH issues as I pH the water every time.

I'm not sure it will be nute burn as I haven't added any, and the symptoms have only gotten worse in the last week.

Unless it has nute lockout due to the compacted soil?

I'll be transplanting as soon as the postman appears :)

Hey doobie, are you using tap water?, and if you are is it chlorinated?, and if it is you need to let it sit open to the air for 4 or 5 hours to let the chlorine evaporate. Tryin ta think of everything, but the compacted non draining soil is the most obvious.

Hey doobie, are you using tap water?, and if you are is it chlorinated?, and if it is you need to let it sit open to the air for 4 or 5 hours to let the chlorine evaporate. Tryin ta think of everything, but the compacted non draining soil is the most obvious.

Hey dude, I use filtered tap water with pH of 7.0 which I adjust to 6.8. I don't let it sit because I'm hoping the chlorine gets filtered out. Does it?

Back
Top Bottom