GDB: Old Dog -- New Tricks

Hello all.

It's Day 34 for the 4 New Trick girls and I'm 75% pleased with what's going on!

The Cosmic Lights accounts for the remaining 25% of my feelings. She's on Grow Dots and continues her struggling ways. I'll be removing her from the group soon, as the rest will be getting flipped shortly and she ain't ready. I can put her in the 2x2 and go about trying to save her. But if my efforts don't result in some immediate, noticeable improvement, I may do something completely out of character and toss her in the trash. It's up to her.

The Blue Cindy (the other Grow Dotted plant) continues to show signs of recovery from whatever was ailing her. She's to the point where I'd have no misgivings about flipping her.

The Lemon Bubble & Hash Lover look decent. They seem to like the Strive nutrients, the environment and, now, even the light.

NT 3-26-24 D34 tent.jpg

Back: CL then BC
Front: LB then HL

-------------------------------------

I'm dropping the seeds for Phase II today. They're in shot glasses now and will be placed in Rapid Rooters tomorrow, tap roots or not.

I had another minor COP (Change of Plans) regarding Phase II, and the Chemdog #4 got bumped out of the mix. I decided instead to go with the Cap Junky and 3 more seeds from among all the freebies I have on hand. (That's another COP. I had said Phase II would be 2 plants in 5 gallon pots, now it'll be four if all goes well. (Pot sizes TBD.)

I had a lot of freebies from which to choose. Too many! :straightface:
Freebies.jpg

I ended up going with Godberry, Candy Dawg and (maybe) Fat Kids Cake. I'll say more about the strains if/when I have seedlings alive.

BTW, I say "maybe" Fat Kids Cake because I'm hoping that's what it is. A few years back, I lost track of the FKC seeds. They had come out of their package. At the time I just blew it off and picked another seed to grow. But a few months later I spotted two loose seeds in my stash bag. I grabbed, bagged and labeled them at that time. I'm thinking/hoping they're the Cakes.

---------------------------------

I've gotta' say, aside from the learning curve with the new light and the Swicks and the coco, the doubts about my light meter, the odd growth of the Dotted plants and the unexpected travails of daily pHing and monitoring pH drift, this grow has been pretty smooth! (How ya' like my rose-colored glasses! :))

Right now I'm thinking that if you ever again see me handling some coco, I'll be making a cup of hot chocolate. :straightface:
I would not trade this experience, nor would I repeat it.

Thanks for stopping by.

PEACE

rose glasses.jpg
plants are looking good hopefully the CL shapes up, nice seed collection, Lol! nice shades, phase II sounds interesting

Your plants look good, GDB but regarding the Cosmic Lights, maybe you could switch her to the Strive nutes? The plants with the Strive nutes look good. After all, this is the plant you have no more of and can't get seeds anymore either. I'd hate for you to toss her.

Highya GDB,

It was mentioned before, but I'd take the CL out of the Grow Dots, remove most soil, and put her in an uppot with strive nutrients, if she was mine. I think that's the best chance for her to survive. Happy Smokin'

Good morning all and Happy Sunday!

Day 32.

There's not much going on at the moment other than me doing a bunch of head-scratching. The Cosmic Lights & Blue Cindy are both fussing about something. Their new leaves are coming in looking crinkled, like kale leaves. The CL's condition is worse than BC's, but they're both afflicted.

Since they've also both been negatively affected by too much light, I'm not sure if the crinkled leaves are related to that problem or present a whole new problem on their own.

One possible culprit could be the Grow Dots. If I remember correctly, this is the first time I've fed plants the Dots at the "heavy rate." I gave them each 3 teaspoons of Dots per gallon of soil, whereas I typically only use 2 tsps per gallon. It seems that 3 tsps might be a bit more than the BC can handle and a lot more than the CL can handle. Based on her size, I nearly certain that the CL has the most immature root structure. The heavy load of Dots may be overwhelming her.

Anyway, the BC seems to be recovering and drifting towards normality. The CL seems to be getting worse. I have not idea what to do about either. I don't believe flushing a Dotted plant would have much effect. The Dots are mixed into the soil and cannot be "removed" via flushing. Still, for lack of another solution, I may try a flush. :straightface:

CL:
CL 3-24-24 D32 crinkles.jpg

The Lemon Bubble & Hash Lover both seem content and healthy. Here, the Strive nutrients are once again showing their worth. Plants seem to love them!

NT 3-24-24 D32 tent.jpg

Front: LB then HL
Rear: CL then CB

I'd like to flip these on or before day 40. However, I see nothing good coming from flipping the CL in her current state. So I may remove her from the group for further nurturing. I'm banking on her improving once she gets a healthier set of roots and the Dots begin to diminish. So when I flip the others I may move the CL into th 2x2 tent for a bit. Hell, I may even up-pot her if I think it will help her pull through.

-------------------------

As always, thanks for taking the time to visit and have yourselves a wonderful Sunday!

PEACE
You could flush GDB imo even with the dots try to start off 10% and give a few days, looks like the nitrate might be a little overpowering but just a suggestion my friend,options, RIGHT ON ✌️

Hello all.

Day 35.

All the girls (except the Cosmic Lights) got their pre-flip haircuts this evening. I'm aiming to flip the 3 flippables by Monday, April 1.

NT 3-27-24 D35 tent.jpg

I had to go easy on the Blue Cindy (back right). She's still semi-recovering.

---------------------------------

plants are looking good hopefully the CL shapes up, nice seed collection, Lol! nice shades, phase II sounds interesting

Your plants look good, GDB but regarding the Cosmic Lights, maybe you could switch her to the Strive nutes? The plants with the Strive nutes look good. After all, this is the plant you have no more of and can't get seeds anymore either. I'd hate for you to toss her.

It was mentioned before, but I'd take the CL out of the Grow Dots, remove most soil, and put her in an uppot with strive nutrients, if she was mine. I think that's the best chance for her to survive. Happy Smokin'

You could flush GDB imo even with the dots try to start off 10% and give a few days, looks like the nitrate might be a little overpowering but just a suggestion my friend,options, RIGHT ON✌️
Thanks to you all for the encouraging words and suggestions! I'll be getting to her soon and I'll take everyone's ideas into consideration. :thanks:

------------------------------

As always, thanks for your interest.

PEACE

Nice GDB looking good 💪 although a few bumps in the road do you feel it has slowed you down comparing it to your soil grows?

Probably a better way of wording that lol nice work on the training too 👌

I've gotta' say, aside from the learning curve with the new light and the Swicks and the coco, the doubts about my light meter, the odd growth of the Dotted plants and the unexpected travails of daily pHing and monitoring pH drift, this grow has been pretty smooth! (How ya' like my rose-colored glasses! :))

Right now I'm thinking that if you ever again see me handling some coco, I'll be making a cup of hot chocolate. :straightface:
I would not trade this experience, nor would I repeat it.

Love the glasses. Everyone needs a pair! :ganjamon:

As an outsider it looked like something was wrong with the nutrition light strength blending. So much light for X amount of food. I would think it hard to measure the strength of dots until dissolved.

Nice GDB looking good 💪 although a few bumps in the road do you feel it has slowed you down comparing it to your soil grows?

Probably a better way of wording that lol nice work on the training too 👌
Thanks GV!

Please don't get me started on comparing this to a soil grow! I'm geared toward doing as little work as possible to grow a decent plant, so to me the coco is kind of "busy." The plants seem to like it though, even if I don't. That's the important part. :Rasta:

I'm rooting for the cosmic to wake up-- stretch-- an surprise the hell outta ya. 💚
And kudos on trying a new grow method from what you're used too. That takes balls
Thanks Jiggi!

I'm rooting for her too!

A lot of times trying new ways helps one better appreciate the old ways! :Rasta:

Love the glasses. Everyone needs a pair! :ganjamon:

As an outsider it looked like something was wrong with the nutrition light strength blending. So much light for X amount of food. I would think it hard to measure the strength of dots until dissolved.
I agree Stinker. Way too much light initially and likely too much nutrition, waylaid the CL. :straightface:

Happy Thursday man!! (Or should we call it Friday eve?) Everything is looking lush!! Can't wait to see them blow up!! Now here homie.... Hit this vape while we hurry up and wait!! 😎✌️

New leaves that turn yellow - for me it's usually an iron deficiency.
I get deficiencies all the time from the crazy stuff I put in my dirt, a good 3 day foliar routine usually does the trick. Feed em thru the leaves till the roots bounce back I say! :ganjamon: In your case, I'd drop a rusty nail in a spray bottle of water with a splash of cal/mag and a couple drops of peroxide. Gently wet em up 2 times a day, top and bottom of leaves.

Hello all.

Day 36.

I checked out the Blue Cindy (back right) this morning and she seemed okay from yesterday's somewhat mild trim job. So I went at her some more!

Now I've got the flippables set up and ready to go!

NT 3-28-24 D36 tent.jpg

You may notice that the Cosmic Lights has been moved to nearly out of the frame. I'm trying to keep her out of the oh-so-bright light! I'm trying to get seedlings going in the 2x2 at the moment, so I can't move her in there yet. She'll have to sit in here with the others for a few days longer. I haven't given up on her but I'm thinking about the best way help her out while stressing her the least. I'll talk more about my plan for her in the next few days.

-------------------------

The Phase II seeds are wasting no time! I soaked them on Tuesday, buried them in rapid rooters yesterday evening and, about 24 hours later, I've got movement in each pod!

Believe me, they're all starting to emerge, even the ones you can't see. :)

NT PhaseII 3-28-24 pod movement LABELS.jpg

[There are tiny labels at the bottom of the pic.]

--------------------------

Happy Thursday man!! (Or should we call it Friday eve?) Everything is looking lush!! Can't wait to see them blow up!! Now here homie.... Hit this vape while we hurry up and wait!! 😎✌️
You call it Scottay! I'm going to try and catch up with you. :ganjamon:

New leaves that turn yellow - for me it's usually an iron deficiency.
I get deficiencies all the time from the crazy stuff I put in my dirt, a good 3 day foliar routine usually does the trick. Feed em thru the leaves till the roots bounce back I say! :ganjamon: In your case, I'd drop a rusty nail in a spray bottle of water with a splash of cal/mag and a couple drops of peroxide. Gently wet em up 2 times a day, top and bottom of leaves.
I hadn't considered a foliar spray Rhino. Thanks for that! :thanks:

A rusty nail? :oops:

Nice plants now I'm stoned so they look like they just got their curlers out and have a perm. :lot-o-toke: 🍋
Thanks so much Keith!

I think stoned is the best way to watch my shenanigans! :ganjamon:

--------------------------------

As you know, thank you for caring!

PEACE

Back
Top Bottom