GDB: Old Dog -- New Tricks

Highya GDB,

For all that you have done, the ladies look very happy! You'll feel better if they look happy, then if you can't get them into the "happy" zone. Hopefully, you can tolerate a little extra "work", and take the batteries out of your lazy-meter. That will stop the chirping, lol! Happy Smokin'

My Lazy-Meter started chirping as soon as I started this process. By the end it was at full fire-alarm volume.

Me and my bright ideas. New Tricks my ass. New Tricked. I'm now a grumpy old man.
🤣🤣 Sorry this made me chuckle 🤭 it can still be a lazy grow. I found my organic bottle nutes would always drift up then my Coco nutes would drift down 🙄 but found a stable mix finally.

I tested the half bucket and overnight the water had gone from 5.8 to 6.1.
What happens after a second pH? How long untill drift? Or if you pH to 5.5 then feed the next day after it rises a bit? Once you get your water stable it will be very light work.

🤣🤣 Sorry this made me chuckle 🤭 it can still be a lazy grow. I found my organic nutes would always drift up then my Coco nutes would drift down 🙄 but found a stable mix finally.

What happens after a second pH? How long untill drift? Or if you pH to 5.5 then feed the next day after it rises a bit? Once you get your water stable it will be very light work.
GV, are you saying that some drift is inevitable but that once it occurs and is adjusted for it becomes stable and will drift no further?

GV, are you saying that some drift is inevitable but that once it occurs and is adjusted for it becomes stable and will drift no further?
Possibly, some tap water will drift on its own over time. Do you let your water stand before using it?
What it's buffered with and it's alkalinity will affect overall stability.
Interested to know your pH and TDs out the tap then again after a day.

Possibly, some tap water will drift on its own over time. Do you let your water stand before using it?
What it's buffered with and it's alkalinity will affect overall stability.
Interested to know your pH and TDs out the tap then again after a day.
My water sits for at least 48 hours before use. My tap water comes out right around 7.0. I'll need to measure the ppm again. Used to know it years ago but I've forgotten.

And the next time I fill a fresh bucket I'll measure the Ph 24 hours later.

Thanks GV. :thanks:

I have a history with this strain Tra. I can't afford to be selective. It's was/is my last seed/chance since the strain has been discontinued. I want clones. :Rasta:
Oh I didn’t realise that.

In that case, clone that mofo!

Sorry I’m late! But with this title, I feel like I should have been notified in advance… lol
Seriously though, can’t wait to watch how a pro does a grow!

Hello all.

Day 29.

So I spent some of the day continuing the work required to attain my PhDuh. :straightface:

First I checked the Ph of each base since I had gotten them all back to 5.8 last night. They had all drifted to about 6.0 or 6.1. Still in range, so I left 3 of the plants as they were. The Hash Lover, however, had slurped a bunch of her water overnight. That was a pleasant surprise! Since I still had about 1/2 gallon of her water (with calmag) left from last night I poured it into her res and reset her Ph to 5.8.

Next I wanted to find out what'll happen if a Ph'ed nutrient mix is allowed to sit overnight. I mix a 2 gallon dose of Strive and Ph the solution to 5.8. I'll see what is says at the same time tomorrow.

Finally, I filled a 2 gallon bucket with aged tap water (Ph 7.0) and adjusted it to 5.8. I'll also see what is says at the same time tomorrow.

If I can get a feel for how much drift will occur in each case, I'll be better able to work smarter and not harder.

--------------------------

I did a little more training on the Lemon Bubble and Blue Cindy tonight. I took some leaves, some baby bud sites and tied down a few branches. Flip time is approaching, gotta' do something!

BC:
BC 3-21-24 D29 trning.jpg

LB:
LB 3-21-24 D29 trning.jpg

---------------------------

Thanks for your time.

PEACE

Where's that damn duck! I'm also going to have to check the Ph of the base water everyday, whether I put anything in there or not! :straightface:

My Lazy-Meter started chirping as soon as I started this process. By the end it was at full fire-alarm volume.

Me and my bright ideas. New Tricks my ass. New Tricked. I'm now a grumpy old man.

But I shall persevere.:Rasta:
It does sound like a bad swing to the right on the lazy-o-meter, but can you/will you just flip them earlier to hasten the next round and reset the approach?

Do you add silica to your brew? It raises the ph of my juice so I don't need a ton of ph-up. Might help to stabilize your nutrients too? Just a guess.

I will say this. In my own personal experience with ingesting cannabis through the gut ..... It seems that it becomes even more effective the less that I vape/smoke out. Might just be me but it seems like it's just increased in strength and time even though it's the same dose. Happy Tuesday to you!! 😎✌️
I can update that recipe a little too. 2 drops is no good for a dose. A person with low tolerance will have trouble with that I'm sure. Since then I cut it x 4 and think it's a better place to be. 8 drop doses now. Might still need another X 2, we'll see. I'm using it full on.
Since I started "dropping" my lungs feel a bunch better! On occasion I do a puff and it puts me over the edge nicely.
Question for the masses: Will a cut from a plant that is not entirely healthy produce a clone that is not entirely healthy?
Depends on the reason I think. You can nurse a plant back to good health but only to its best level of that. If the plants a dog, you going to be happy?

Hello gang.

Day 28.

Let me get the "not so good" news out of the way first.

I fully expected this swick/coco thing would be a great way to grow for a low-energy guy like me.

I could not have been more wrong. :straightface:

Several commenters led me to realize the possibility of Ph drift in my reservoirs if the plants don't use the feed soon enough. So this morning I decided to check. I had Ph'ed a 4 gallon bucket last night and only used half of it to feed the plants. I tested the half bucket and overnight the water had gone from 5.8 to 6.1.

"Uh oh" won't do.

Fuck a Duck! Unless I use it immediately, I'm going to have to Ph any water being given to my plants even if I've already set it to the desired Ph. If it sits overnight, I'll need to check it again. :straightface:

I haven't let my reservoirs go empty, so there's been plenty of time for whatever fluid is in there to drift.

So I begin the arduous task of checking the water in each base. I have to move the plants up front in order to get to the ones in the rear. Then move the rear one's forward where I can work on them from my chair. All these moves must be done gently so as not to splosh water from the bases all over the tent floor. Once in place at the front of the tent, remove the plant from the base and set it in a plant saucer. Then remove the cover from the base so that I can get to the water with my Ph pen. Correct the Ph (more about that shortly), replace the cover and the put the plant back in its original position. Repeat three more times.

The plants on Strive (rear) had drifted to 7.0 and 7.1. The forward plants on Grow Dots were at 6.3 and 6.5.

Where's that damn duck! I'm also going to have to check the Ph of the base water everyday, whether I put anything in there or not! :straightface:

But I shall persevere.:Rasta:

(BTW, I beheaded the Cosmic Lights and the Hash Lover this afternoon. More about that at another time.)

NT girls 3-20-24 D28 tent.jpg

PEACE
Good looking plants

I can update that recipe a little too. 2 drops is no good for a dose. A person with low tolerance will have trouble with that I'm sure. Since then I cut it x 4 and think it's a better place to be. 8 drop doses now. Might still need another X 2, we'll see. I'm using it full on.
Since I started "dropping" my lungs feel a bunch better! On occasion I do a puff and it puts me over the edge nicely.
I'm feeling the same way on that Otter. I love the instant lift of vaping but my lungs these days are finding ingesting it rather than vaping it to be a lot kinder.

Hello growers!

Day 31.

I've been resolute in maintaining the pH in the bases despite the protests of you-know-who.

Moving the plants around and checking daily is not a bad as I made it sound in a recent post. It's just something that needs to be done. It is what it is. This method is more labor-intensive than a soil grow, not less. So now I know! :)

Light stress/damage is more of an issue now.

Turning the light down recently seemed to suit the Lemon Bubble & Hash Lover, but the Cosmic Lights & Blue Cindy are both showing signs of light stress...or something! The new growth on both plants looks crinkly and some of the leaves show light damage.

I've turned down the lights just a tad more. The plants are getting taller and I'm trying to keep them right around 38-40 DLI until flip time, while avoiding changing the height of the light.

The Cosmic Lights also concerns me because of her dark green color. If she's getting to much N, I don't have a clue what to do about it because she's on Grow Dots! I've noticed this trait in previous Dot grows (the dark green), but plants usually begin to lighten up eventually. This one, not so much.

Here's some visual evidence, however before I post the pics...

[CORRECTION: Yesterday I said I continued some training on the LB & BC. I even posted a picture of each. Well, it wasn't the BC is was the LB and the Hash Lover. To further explain how I got confused about this would do me no good. Let's just say I'm an old stoner.]

CL
:
CL 3-23-24 D31 lite stress.jpg

BC:
BC 3-23-24 D31 lite stress.jpg

Tent Shot:
NT 3-23-24 D31 tent.jpg

Front row: Lemon Bubble, left & Hash Lover :straightface:

-------------------------------

Thanks for all the feedback!

They look fine!:goodjob:
Thanks so much BTF, and thanks for looking in!
GDB, you are going to grow great plants this way and make it all worth your while.
Inspirational, Carmen. Thanks!
For all that you have done, the ladies look very happy! You'll feel better if they look happy, then if you can't get them into the "happy" zone. Hopefully, you can tolerate a little extra "work", and take the batteries out of your lazy-meter. That will stop the chirping, lol! Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode. I can't kill 'em!
In that case, clone that mofo!
Fo' sho'.
Sorry I’m late! But with this title, I feel like I should have been notified in advance… lol
Seriously though, can’t wait to watch how a pro does a grow!
You probably should have Olddog! My bad.

I still like your first name! 😁
It does sound like a bad swing to the right on the lazy-o-meter, but can you/will you just flip them earlier to hasten the next round and reset the approach?
Not that bad Stunger. I'm good with it after getting over the initial uh oh stage! :)

I never intended to let these veg for very long. I won't be rushing things when I flip them around day 40.
Do you add silica to your brew? It raises the ph of my juice so I don't need a ton of ph-up. Might help to stabilize your nutrients too? Just a guess.
I have not added any silica to these Rhino. I really don't have a need for pH up though. Right now I'm always adjusting in the other direction.
Depends on the reason I think. You can nurse a plant back to good health but only to its best level of that. If the plants a dog, you going to be happy?
Is that a rhetorical question Stone? :laugh:
Get with shed and make some seeds is what i would do IF you have space !?!?
Not set up for seed making Smoke. Clones will have to do!
They're starting to look like grown up plants now! And nice design on the pH experiments. :nomo:
Thanks Shed. Knowing it's going to drift upward gives me some idea of where to start it out.
Good looking plants
Thank you Kaw900r! Stop by anytime! :Rasta:
I'm feeling the same way on that Otter. I love the instant lift of vaping but my lungs these days are finding ingesting it rather than vaping it to be a lot kinder.
Either of you guys ever thought about running a marathon? Does wonders for the lungs! :hookah:

Good morning all and Happy Sunday!

Day 32.

There's not much going on at the moment other than me doing a bunch of head-scratching. The Cosmic Lights & Blue Cindy are both fussing about something. Their new leaves are coming in looking crinkled, like kale leaves. The CL's condition is worse than BC's, but they're both afflicted.

Since they've also both been negatively affected by too much light, I'm not sure if the crinkled leaves are related to that problem or present a whole new problem on their own.

One possible culprit could be the Grow Dots. If I remember correctly, this is the first time I've fed plants the Dots at the "heavy rate." I gave them each 3 teaspoons of Dots per gallon of soil, whereas I typically only use 2 tsps per gallon. It seems that 3 tsps might be a bit more than the BC can handle and a lot more than the CL can handle. Based on her size, I nearly certain that the CL has the most immature root structure. The heavy load of Dots may be overwhelming her.

Anyway, the BC seems to be recovering and drifting towards normality. The CL seems to be getting worse. I have not idea what to do about either. I don't believe flushing a Dotted plant would have much effect. The Dots are mixed into the soil and cannot be "removed" via flushing. Still, for lack of another solution, I may try a flush. :straightface:

CL:
CL 3-24-24 D32 crinkles.jpg

The Lemon Bubble & Hash Lover both seem content and healthy. Here, the Strive nutrients are once again showing their worth. Plants seem to love them!

NT 3-24-24 D32 tent.jpg

Front: LB then HL
Rear: CL then CB

I'd like to flip these on or before day 40. However, I see nothing good coming from flipping the CL in her current state. So I may remove her from the group for further nurturing. I'm banking on her improving once she gets a healthier set of roots and the Dots begin to diminish. So when I flip the others I may move the CL into th 2x2 tent for a bit. Hell, I may even up-pot her if I think it will help her pull through.

-------------------------

As always, thanks for taking the time to visit and have yourselves a wonderful Sunday!

PEACE

I think if where me I would up pot the two and move to another location until they get bigger !?! It always hard to say for me about what other people should do as little growing time as i have under my belt . Just a suggestion that you made to your self, Hell , dam if I knw :bongrip: The other two are looking GOOD !

Good morning all and Happy Sunday!

Day 32.

There's not much going on at the moment other than me doing a bunch of head-scratching. The Cosmic Lights & Blue Cindy are both fussing about something. Their new leaves are coming in looking crinkled, like kale leaves. The CL's condition is worse than BC's, but they're both afflicted.

Since they've also both been negatively affected by too much light, I'm not sure if the crinkled leaves are related to that problem or present a whole new problem on their own.

One possible culprit could be the Grow Dots. If I remember correctly, this is the first time I've fed plants the Dots at the "heavy rate." I gave them each 3 teaspoons of Dots per gallon of soil, whereas I typically only use 2 tsps per gallon. It seems that 3 tsps might be a bit more than the BC can handle and a lot more than the CL can handle. Based on her size, I nearly certain that the CL has the most immature root structure. The heavy load of Dots may be overwhelming her.

Anyway, the BC seems to be recovering and drifting towards normality. The CL seems to be getting worse. I have not idea what to do about either. I don't believe flushing a Dotted plant would have much effect. The Dots are mixed into the soil and cannot be "removed" via flushing. Still, for lack of another solution, I may try a flush. :straightface:

CL:
CL 3-24-24 D32 crinkles.jpg

The Lemon Bubble & Hash Lover both seem content and healthy. Here, the Strive nutrients are once again showing their worth. Plants seem to love them!

NT 3-24-24 D32 tent.jpg

Front: LB then HL
Rear: CL then CB

I'd like to flip these on or before day 40. However, I see nothing good coming from flipping the CL in her current state. So I may remove her from the group for further nurturing. I'm banking on her improving once she gets a healthier set of roots and the Dots begin to diminish. So when I flip the others I may move the CL into th 2x2 tent for a bit. Hell, I may even up-pot her if I think it will help her pull through.

-------------------------

As always, thanks for taking the time to visit and have yourselves a wonderful Sunday!

PEACE
the 2 upfront look great the ones on the grow dots hopefully pick back up, just a thought i've heard about growing in coco coir with dry ammendments would grow dots be considered dry ammendment? & if so would they not need a higher PH like around 6.4-6.8 as compaired with syn nutes 5.8?

Back
Top Bottom