Ghetto RV Suspended Grow aka Asteidl's Hanging Garden

The one thing you are going to want to watch out with on Sue is her height. Rule of thumb around cannabis is once your plant is put into "flowering" stage it can stretch up to TWICE the size it is was once you started vegging. So if your girl is about 2 feet right now, she could grow up another 4feet through flower which could in return cause you some issues. Since she is suspended you could always lower her too, but then, your lower growth will be that much further away from a light source. Are there any spare rooms in the trailer? Perhaps one you could maybe block off and contruct a side room? :hippy:

Thanks for the info, CA125! Right now Sue is about 2 inches tall. Of course, hoping it gets at least a little bigger. Worried about moms continuing to veg, though. Right now Moms are about 2 foot across, 1 foot tall, each (growing tied down). Can keep em tied down, but cabinet height is only about 30 inches, and may not be enough for Moms. Sadly, no spare rooms, in fact, hardly any room as it is, only 250sqft for two people, lol. And that includes cabinets, closets, furniture, etc, probably less than 100sqft floor space. I do have a closet I can use, will have to move shit from that into my already-in-use cabinet, then paint it. Would probably work great, and allow for easier climate control.

If I had the money, and wanted to stay in an RV, I'd go with a toy hauler style one. Plenty of "garage" room. :) :) :)

Just a curiosity question, could I flower under mostly MH (or other blue-ish light), as opposed to mostly HPS (or only HPS or other yellowish/reddish light)? Main rationale is to limit height.

Thanks for the info, CA125! Right now Sue is about 2 inches tall. Of course, hoping it gets at least a little bigger. Worried about moms continuing to veg, though. Right now Moms are about 2 foot across, 1 foot tall, each (growing tied down). Can keep em tied down, but cabinet height is only about 30 inches, and may not be enough for Moms. Sadly, no spare rooms, in fact, hardly any room as it is, only 250sqft for two people, lol. And that includes cabinets, closets, furniture, etc, probably less than 100sqft floor space. I do have a closet I can use, will have to move shit from that into my already-in-use cabinet, then paint it. Would probably work great, and allow for easier climate control.

If I had the money, and wanted to stay in an RV, I'd go with a toy hauler style one. Plenty of "garage" room. :) :) :)

Just a curiosity question, could I flower under mostly MH (or other blue-ish light), as opposed to mostly HPS (or only HPS or other yellowish/reddish light)? Main rationale is to limit height.
Woops got my post a little mixed up, Moms East & West, not Sue :bongrip: been smoking wax all this morning, sometimes not such a good idea haha.. My post before would be all the same except for the name change. If you really did want to keep a nice mother I would suggest you use the closet only if it is affordable.. money and finances is a burden I believe that fully! Like you said it would allow you a lot more control over her to let you produce the best cuttlings possible. You anticipating any heat in the RV? With summer coming I'm already about to shut down the indoor grow after everything flowers out and is harvested :smokin: This heat is already getting pretty intense on the westcoast (except it rained with thunderstorms for an hour yesterday and flooded my town, very odd weather).. I've heard & read you can use MH bulbs for the first 1 - 2 weeks to reduce the stretching of you cannabis but you want to try to get some of the HPS-redish-yellow lighting in there after those couple weeks. I have nothing to compare to, but with my first grow MH for veg and HPS for flower has done quite well so far. But i'm sure you can flower with just straight MH, but you want to keep in mind the color spectrum of the MH is based for the more early parts of the plants life. I really don't know any issues that 100% could produce with the plants but could possibly range from less yield, degraded product, maybe a chance of hermy. All in all I usually read a lot of info and try what has been experimented with my grow :)

I agree CA215 I was lead to believe that i could flower with mh bulbs. I hope grow shop dude was right and not tryin to make dough.I ordered two .

Heat is really getting to Moms. Wishing I could have these outside, where they surely want to be. I swear, if this grow fails, I'm gonna go back in time and beat the crap out of Harry Anslinger. Gotta get good flower lighting soon. Get 'em outta the skylight.

Sorry peeps. Way under-medicated this morning, plus woke up pissed off. Will be throwing a fucking GFCI receptacle away today, and hopefully burning it. That should calm me a bit. Peace, all.

EDIT: thanks for the info, guys. Gonna go HPS 150. (soon)

Fuck my life. One damn day of real heat, wasn't home. Watered with half a gallon of water soon as I saw this, it's 6:15 right now. Hoping to God they can recover. Clones are fine, and even wet. Sue is okay, but cabinet was 85F (60% humidity, though).

100_31702.JPG
100_31691.JPG

Top shriveled leaves are like powder crumbling.

Is the small black fan the only fan you have for movement in the rv? I would try to get a bigger fan and set it right at the side of her to keep up the movement around her leaves so they don't get too hot. I picked up these nice square fans from walmart for 20 bucks each. Ya leaving some windows opened In there to get some air flow asteidl?

May just stuff plants into my cabinet, since it can stay cooler, under CFL (only 42 f*cking watts), and hope they make it. Tomorrow, since too pissed off at the moment to think clearly.

Hoping they make it.

100_31711.JPG
100_31722.JPG

Is the small black fan the only fan you have for movement in the rv? I would try to get a bigger fan and set it right at the side of her to keep up the movement around her leaves so they don't get too hot. I picked up these nice square fans from walmart for 20 bucks each. Ya leaving some windows opened In there to get some air flow asteidl?

I've got a 13,500 BTU air conditioner about 8 feet away from the plants, partially blocked by butcher paper, to avoid drying hte leaves out. The fan was drying the leaves out, so turned it off. There's no room on the rig to put another fan. I suppose I could put some other type of fan on a countertop, facing up and drawing air from a window, but still worried about heat buildup. May just stuff what's left in my cabinet, until I get a HPS and get my closet going. Heh. Damn closet might get hot too. :(

*sigh* feeling pretty damned disgusted at the moment. Gotta go find a time machine. Harry Anslinger, look out, ya fookin bitch.

Okay. Not all bad news. One clone in Jiffy thingamabob has a root showing. :)

Moms aren't dead. Trimmed about an ounce of dried up crumbling leaves off them. Stuffed the (hopefully) Moms into cabinet, need to get more lighting NOW. Err, within a week, anywho. If roommate ain't bullshitting, I should have some money early next week. :)

Sue is still doing okay, despite a little yellow.

Pics in the morning. Gute nacht.

Well, last night, took Moms down, cleaned 'em up of as much dead shit as I could find--damn those leaves were crispy and crumbly--then stuffed them into the cabinet. Not much room, but may go longer light until I get a proper flowering lamp, and stuff them into a taller closet, since they shoot upwards during flower, right?

Anyways, these were really taking the shape of the dome, almost perfectly. Would have been awesome to see a huge, single, tangled-up bud the exact shape and size of the dome (*:thedoubletake:*), lol (that'd be 2.5'w * 2.5'd * 2.5' at highest point). Not sure if that was what I was aiming for or not (can't remember, lol). Maybe next time I'll try for a wild experiment with square or other shaped buds, lol. To be honest, I think I just wanted more light for them, dome bud was just wild idea afterwards. Skylight was ideal, light-wise: loads of natural sunlight, one-way view (can't see in from above) for privacy, but was a pain climbing on a chair to take care of them from below. Bad joints in my knees, hips, back... Now, if it was double pane, with N gas or a vacuum between them (to give them thermal resistance--R-value), it might have worked. Modern RV's use double-panes in their skylights, which are usually over the tub/shower, and are slightly frosted. The modern RV skylights are not evacuated of gas, though. Just one dome inside, one outside. Mine, being over 20 years old, is built using "ancient" tech, lmao. A single dome outside.

(*:thedoubletake:*) Grow a square watermelon

g_100_3180.JPG
g_before_100_3173.JPG
g_100_3179.JPG
g_100_3175.JPG
g_100_3182.JPG
g_100_3181.JPG

Accidentally bent one plant, but it didn't break, so thinking: It kinda looks like proper bending.

Oh, and, I need to go find a buttload of light sockets for the cabinet, maybe some tube fixtures. Then, HPS 150 or 250 in the closet, for moms, and it'll be fluoro in the cabinet. I think.

Cabinet is keeping temps in the 75-85 range, and 65% almost constant RH. Wondering, do the plants themselves put off any heat? Like bioactivity or something? I do know that animals (we humans included) make our own heat. Plants might as well, I think. Through cellular activity in the form of it metabolizing nutrients, water, and air (pretty sure they breathe more than just CO2, guessing they breathe N, O2, CO, etc, just that CO2 is most important to it). But all that activity in the plant's cells creates a given amount of thermal energy, along with other byproducts, like water and O2. So, question I'm thinking is, are Moms helping maintain that cabinet tempurature, and would the cabinet cool off if I took all the plants and soil out of it? This is just a curiosity question, as my mind likes to wander around scientific curiosities, especially when I don't know the answers. I love learning. Hopefully something new every day.

That all being mentioned, my plants are doing okay. Sue doesn't seem very happy, I think it doesn't like the soil, but may recover. Moms 1 and 2 are still recovering from almost dying in the heat. Clones that are still in Jiffy things are doing great though! One is showing roots, another has a red/purple stem (thinking it needs to get planted), and the other two are just hangin' out, being green. No pics this morning, camera has dead batts.

Happy Mothers Day to all the MOMs out there! :love:

*sigh* Been trying to use my camera to look for flowers/preflowers, since my eyes ain't worth a shit, and the little "bumps" I'm noticing at nodes are too tiny for me to see proper. They don't look like balls, or hairs, to me yet. Fucking camera's got autofocus, which, in this situation, really sucks. Wishin' I had a manual focus. Pics later if I can get a few good ones.

Hmm wondering about the thermal thing.. I bet they do put off their own "energy" but it wouldn't be enough for us to notice.. But if you were to remove a plant from the area it could allow better air circulation which in return would give you lower temps, I also noticed when I start removing plants from my grow area the rH also lowers, I would say you are right with saying your mom is keeping that stable environment. Her pot and loads of leaves holds a lot of that rH. Makes sense to me :cheesygrinsmiley: How are the moms looking with the defol & heat? Any better? Its getting hotter around here, rising a couple degrees every day. I would keep a very close eye on your girlies and make sure they aren't cookin'. Keep it up asteidl :thumb:, CA215

Hmm wondering about the thermal thing.. I bet they do put off their own "energy" but it wouldn't be enough for us to notice.. But if you were to remove a plant from the area it could allow better air circulation which in return would give you lower temps, I also noticed when I start removing plants from my grow area the rH also lowers, I would say you are right with saying your mom is keeping that stable environment. Her pot and loads of leaves holds a lot of that rH. Makes sense to me :cheesygrinsmiley: How are the moms looking with the defol & heat? Any better? Its getting hotter around here, rising a couple degrees every day. I would keep a very close eye on your girlies and make sure they aren't cookin'. Keep it up asteidl :thumb:, CA215

Thanks! Didn't think about them keeping humidity stable. Make sense, as well. :) Moms are actually looking pretty good, considering. Though, I am noticing tiny growths at the nodes, but can't quite make em out, lol. I suppose I have a few more days before they become big enough for me to see properly. Then maybe my camera will as well, too. The majority of the leaf-death seems over with. And same here, getting hotter and humid-er every day. Been having to keep the cabinet open yesterday and today, I'll have to adjust the light cycle to compensate for day/night with the cabinet open. Maybe lights on later, like noon, so light leak wouldn't be a worry. Once I get my closet going, I should have significantly more breathing room for them. And light proofing them. Gotta go eat (munchies and supper, timing perfect), will be back later with a few pics from today.

Right next to that cut stump there, is a little tiny bump. Not a ball, but pointed at the end. I'll throw a circle around it in Paint, then re-up. The stump is from one of the death-by-heat leaves that I cut off.
100_32453.JPG

Sue is doing okay, but looking a tiny bit yellow.

100_32564.JPG

100_32524.JPG

This was taken yesterday, roots twice as long this morning! I think it's ready for some soil. :)

100_32443.JPG

This is on the best-looking branch of the plant, also the first (lowest) branch. Biggest leaves, greenest leaves...
100_3245edited.jpg

Going to be gone for about 3 days. Psych hold. (known as Baker Act in FL). Peace all.

I'm back! w00t w00t! I guess I have social anxiety disorder, and depression.

Glad my buddy took care of my plants.

Sue is budding, but not sure if Sue is a boy or girl.

100_32951.JPG

And here's a decoration I added before I left for the funhouse.

100_32921.JPG

Back
Top Bottom