Greek Outdoor Grow - Femes & Auto Fems - 2014

Re: Greek outdoor grow - femes and auto fems - 2014

Hello Mr. T. During the heat a regular little dose of potassium silicate really helps the plants. There are many brands...I prefer Dyna Grow's Pro Tekt. It's also very hot where I am. Actually I use it for both outdoor and indoor plants.

And hello hello and thank you brightlight. Great suggestion. I researched it, agreed with it and drove 60 miles today trying to find it. Nothing's that simple out here. But something good came out of it. See seaweed fertilzer in next post. So.....:thumb:

SOMETIMES WORDS ARE UNNECESSARY UPDATE

DSC_07584.JPG

:yahoo::morenutes::slide::theband:

So I went to the tiny grocery store in the village for some onions (having not yet mastered growing them myself) and Panos handed me the parcel of BioBizz. "Medicine for your wife?" he said in Greek. He's right. :rofl:

That's the way in works in a small village. The last time I ordered seeds they were at the bakers. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Only watered on Monday so can't feed them for a few days yet. I plan to follow Sticky's BioBizz schedule (this site has everything. You've just got to know where to find it.) but starting at half strength. Is that wise?

My reading suggests that the Greek seaweed (organic product) is full of micro-nutrients and also helps release the macros and should be used with the BioBizz. Pack dosage says 3 caps per 10 litres, so I'd plan on starting with just one.

It's starting to get hot....off to move those pots to a bit of shade. Pip Pip! Mr Teddy.

Awwww man... I'm happy to see that you finally got your nutes.. Now it's time for these ladies to really take off. I would go with 1/4 strength for the first week the. 1/2 for the second, slowly working ur way up to full strength.

Awwww man... I'm happy to see that you finally got your nutes.. Now it's time for these ladies to really take off. I would go with 1/4 strength for the first week the. 1/2 for the second, slowly working ur way up to full strength.

You said it. The Headmaster likes it. I'll do it.

I enjoy the asides about life in Greece and the village, Teddy. You artfully weave them into your posts.

Cheers PeeJay. Oh, I could tell you some stories. The Mayor who built my house. How I met the real Santa. Crazy German and The Mad Dog. The goatherd and his jam. Kostos and Why the keenest fisherman catches nothing. The whole warp and weft of the colourful tapestry of life is here in microcosm.

PS Great post on the principles of soil management by plant stage on your journal. :thanks:

How is the Von Trapp family now that your aren't trying to cook them? :)

Morning, JL. Thanks for checking. Just popped them all out into the (gentle) dawn sun. They are, I think, if not fully recovering, then at least coping. Whilst brown and yellow leaves ain't gonna turn green again, the new growth looks good. I'm most worried for the two feminised outdoor non-autos, particularly since I've been looking forward to watching a 'natural' growth cycle. We'll see. No point stressing so I'm keeping them all out of the direct hot hot midday sun and just letting them be for a few days. (They may be von Trapps, but they won't tolerate too much of a "Ray-a drop of golden sun"). I'll write an update with photos today or tomorrow. It will be useful for me to record them now before giving them their first, diluted, quality feed.

:love: Mr Teddy

INDEPENDENCE DAY UPDATE

A Happy 4th July to all American friends. I'm glad you won. We love Americans.

Here they are photographed early this morning. Most seem no worse from the heat, but concerned for Passion No.1 which has almost half its leaves dying, although the new lower growth seems green and fine. Let's start with the best of the bunch, Star Ryder at 38 days:

sr.JPG

srglisten.JPG
srcloseup1.jpg
srcloseup.JPG

And Mrs Teddy said we need one for scale, but I think she just wanted a pic of one of the 4 tiny kittens that meowed up our path yesterday and adopted us:

DSC_07886.JPG

AutoXtreme also at 38 days:

autoX.JPG

And here's the outdoor fem, Passion (46 days). Hope she pulls through:

passion.JPG

The Star Ryder and Think Different, both at 29 days, (are you following? I'm working from notes, so Lord knows how you're managing) look ok now but short:

autoxyounger.JPG
td15.JPG

And finally is my other main concern, Frisian Dew (outdoor fem, not an auto) who is 21 today and looks like she's suffering from her party last night:

fd2.JPG

Tomorrow all the older ones will need a water, so it's first time with the quality nutes. They all look like they need a pick-up. Right, so there are 3.7 litres in a US gallon and if I'm feeding them quarter strength and if Star Ryder is 38 days old that means...O my Lord, I'm going to need a bigger piece of paper...

Have a great day, especially those of you celebrating release from the oppression of those roast-beef eating, empire-building, tea-drinking Brits. Pip Pip! Mr Teddy :circle-of-love:

Behind our house is a tiny, Orthodox chapel. Stone built in the 1720's, it's used only once a year on the saint's day in early February. The only access to it is a rough path which runs immediately behind the back garden. There's very little traffic: the occasional German hiker and once every month or so a couple of old Greek ladies come up to dust it. Anyway, my plants live out of sight at the front in the mornings and I carry them round the house to the other side for the afternoon and evening sun. Anyway, I always get plenty of loud warnings from the dog if anyone comes near the house.

This afternoon I was on my own, the dog and Mrs Teddy having gone for a swim. I was carrying Star Ryder in her 12 litre pot round the back for her afternoon rest. I had just watered so the pot was pretty heavy. On the path to the chapel was the village priest in full Orthodox garb. He looked extremely hot and was clearly on his way to the little church.

Now he is the Big Man of the village. In both obvious senses. I know him a little. I drive his two boys to school every day. (But that's another long and very off-topic story). You don't mess with him. He doesn't speak a word of English and my Greek is pretty rudimentary. Here's how the conversation went:

Kali spera, Mr Teddy. (Well, obviously he didn't say 'Mr Teddy'. That would really have freaked me out).
Good evening, Papa.
You have a beautiful garden.
Thank you, Papa. (Thinking, don't look at the pot. Don't draw attention to it. It's really heavy).
You have very beautiful coloured flowers.
Thank you, Papa. (Thinking, my arms really hurt. If I put it down I'll draw attention to it. My arms hurt. I've got to put it down. I put it down).
What is that plant?
(Now I've got to lie. To a priest. In Greek).
It is an English tomato, Papa.
Some of its leaves are brown.
Yes, Papa.
You should only grow Greek tomatoes. They are the best.
Yes, Papa. They are. I will. Thank you, Papa.
Yassus, Mr Teddy.
Yassus, Papa.

And with that advice he happily continued on his way.

Maybe you should use fake flowers to disguise your plants!

I believe PeeJay has the intellectual property rights to that idea. But I'm a long way away and his lawyers will have to find me first. :cheesygrinsmiley:

UPDATE - SPECIAL DAZED AND CONFUSED ISSUE

Kali Spera all. I hope a Bluebird is on everyone's shoulder and everything is satisfactual in your worlds.

I am Dazed and Confused and would really appreciate your help.

1. DAZED
I am dazed, dazzled and delighted at the response of the plants to decent nutrients. Now I know this is old news to all you old hands, but let a first-timer loose his innocence gracefully please. Each one old enough to drink has responded wonderfully, with more foliage, more and denser buds and a general sense of well-being. It's only been 3 days - 3 daze - and I've never seen any other flower or vegetable of mine react so quickly to a bit of organic support:

DSC_08524.JPG
DSC_08546.JPG
DSC_08554.JPG

2. CONFUSED
However, 6 of the 9 plants (from ages 3 to 5 weeks) are suffering from brown tips and edges. This is after the heat-stress problem. Mostly affecting the lower leaves. Now of course I've researched 'brown leaf tips' and there are almost as many responses as 'yellow leaves'. I see it could be a result of;
- Over-watering
- Under-watering
- Nutrient deficiency
- Nutrient burn
So that's helpful then.:)

DSC_08573.JPG
DSC_08585.JPG
DSC_08592.JPG

I'll spare you the dull details of my careful watering regime. And I've only used quarter-strength BioBizz, with great new growth results. So I'm wondering is it a ph problem? Now the problem with a ph problem is that I don 't know the ph so I can't give you all the info. You lot are growing Picasso's on you patio, Rothco's with your roses and cubism in your cupboards. Awesome. (And I mean that in the proper sense of the word, before young people started using it to describe a pizza). I'm still finger-painting hoping mummy will put it on the fridge. I've now ordered a decent ph meter, but you're all painting and I don't own a brush. Idiot. I'm using the local spring water, straight from the mountain above.

Should I:
a) Panic
b) Feed more
c) Feed less
d) Ask the Priest about tomatoes
e) Once again stop being a nervous newbie - they'll be ok and they smell TERRIFIC

Here's lookin' at you all, Kids...

Thanks. Mr. Teddy

Option C and E

C because actually your plants are small. Smaller plants need less nutrients, larger specimens require far more nutrients. So I would say they might be a bit over-fertilized.

Option E goes without saying, just flush the pots with extra water, get some nice run off, water with just the water for awhile and monitor :thumb:

Looking great! :cheer:

So you are watering first with fresh water before applying the nutrient solution?

If not, that may be why. Again, small things like this happen.

If in question, flush, and reapply nutrient solution at your normal quarterly dose.

:cheer:

Back
Top Bottom