High Brix Hunger Games: Catching Fire With The Perfect Sun 1000

re: High Brix Hunger Games - Catching Fire With The Perfect Sun 1000 & Doc Bud's Kit

awesome work shiggity ,im currently running some platinum huckleberry kush from dynasty in high brix ,hoping for a nice male to cross with my time machine and buster strains ,any exp with the phk ?

I just checked out your grow. You're in a homebuilt organic soil mix. Awesome. But why do you call it High Brix?

re: High Brix Hunger Games - Catching Fire With The Perfect Sun 1000 & Doc Bud's Kit

I just checked out your grow. You're in a homebuilt organic soil mix. Awesome. But why do you call it High Brix?
hi doc i love your grows, as we both know brix is the measurement of carbohydrate levels in plant sap ,my plants are high brix and i cultivated both my soil and plants that way ,i use my own foliars and drenches as well mate ,been doing it for years .

i know its not your doc buds hi brix kit but it i high brix mate theres more than one way to skin a cat doc! sorry for any confusion my friend none intended

hi doc i love your grows, as we both know brix is the measurement of carbohydrate levels in plant sap ,my plants are high brix and i cultivated both my soil and plants that way ,i use my own foliars and drenches as well mate ,been doing it for years .

i know its not your doc buds hi brix kit but it i high brix mate theres more than one way to skin a cat doc! sorry for any confusion my friend none intended

What are the levels/ratio's of major/minor elements in your soil?

What are the levels/ratio's of major/minor elements in your soil?
im upping my potasium and trying to curb any excess nitrates on this new run to help get my brix up doc.

i havent had my soil lab tested and i dont measure things i go by feel adjust as i need ,come on over to my journal so as not to accidentally hijack shiggs thread, id love your help ,ill be hitting 13 this run at least im sure of it !

im upping my potasium and trying to curb any excess nitrates on this new run to help get my brix up doc.

i havent had my soil lab tested and i dont measure things i go by feel adjust as i need ,come on over to my journal so as not to accidentally hijack shiggs thread, id love your help ,ill be hitting 13 this run at least im sure of it !

I dont' think Shigg's minds if we discuss soil on his journal. :smokin:

Please do not up your potassium! Potassium must be kept DOWN in order for calcium to mainly comprise the cell wall. Potassium/phosphorus ratio's higher than 1:1 and Ca/K ratio's lower than 18:1 will not allow high brix.

Step one to getting microbial life up and sugar production up is to keep potassium DOWN.

By all means! This conversation is very pertinent because it is about the basics of high brix growing. I welcome discussions such as this. It is interesting because in non high brix growing high potassium doses will encourage flower and trich production. But as we can see from high brix grows running on the edge of potassium deficiency is golden. Yet another reason why N-P-K is outdated as a fertilizer descriptor.

By all means! This conversation is very pertinent because it is about the basics of high brix growing. I welcome discussions such as this. It is interesting because in non high brix growing high potassium doses will encourage flower and trich production. But as we can see from high brix grows running on the edge of potassium deficiency is golden. Yet another reason why N-P-K is outdated as a fertilizer descriptor.

It's not that we want a deficiency of potassium....not at all.

Ca/K 18:1
Ca/P 18:1

K/P 1:1
Ca/Mg 7:1

These are some key ratio's. When plants can't get enough calcium, whether due to poor soil or poor microbial activity (usually it's both) it will substitute potassium in the cell walls. This greatly weakens the plant and makes nutrient density impossible.

It works OK for carbohydrate crops, but if you want protein and vitamins (and exotic terps, resin, etc.) you must have calcium and the microbial action to deliver it. Excess potassium makes this impossible.

These are some key ratio's. When plants can't get enough calcium, whether due to poor soil or poor microbial activity (usually it's both) it will substitute potassium in the cell walls. This greatly weakens the plant and makes nutrient density impossible.

It works OK for carbohydrate crops, but if you want protein and vitamins (and exotic terps, resin, etc.) you must have calcium and the microbial action to deliver it. Excess potassium makes this impossible.

It's all about ratios. Too much one way makes one obsolete or unavailable/locked out at the very least. I love that you pointed that out!

yes spot on you hit on something i didnt mention haha im good at that ( forgetting shit ),calcium is probably the most important to get right next to those potasium and nitrate levels being on point, i had been for too ling over doing my nitrates and getting minor claw ,see i dont lab test so too much of the old stinky cow but and im in trouble hahaha ,thankyou doc

yes spot on you hit on something i didnt mention haha im good at that ( forgetting shit ),calcium is probably the most important to get right next to those potasium and nitrate levels being on point, i had been for too ling over doing my nitrates and getting minor claw ,see i dont lab test so too much of the old stinky cow but and im in trouble hahaha ,thankyou doc
It's very difficult to get potassium levels where they should be.

1. Use a soil with low potassium as the base
2. Do not add compost!
3. Get major/minor elements in balance.
4. use limestone for calcium, NOT dolomite
5. Avoid potassium in drenches and keep it to a minimum in foliar sprays.

when you have your first truly high brix crop, it's an eye-opener. When I was using mineralized, home-built soil, I was getting elite cannabis from it.

Now, I'm getting High Brix Cannabis. Way different, way better.

IMG_20160609_095854.jpg
It's very difficult to get potassium levels where they should be.

1. Use a soil with low potassium as the base
2. Do not add compost!
3. Get major/minor elements in balance.
4. use limestone for calcium, NOT dolomite
5. Avoid potassium in drenches and keep it to a minimum in foliar sprays.

when you have your first truly high brix crop, it's an eye-opener. When I was using mineralized, home-built soil, I was getting elite cannabis from it.

Now, I'm getting High Brix Cannabis. Way different, way better.

thats what im aiming for doc and why i set myself the challenge , hey hope not out of line posting this here if so please delete .

this crappy pic if you look closely shows on the right hand side a crystal substance that when tasted is like sugar ,i got these "sugar" crystals pop up inside my nugs that is when you break them open its in there LOL on my last run .

i took it as a sign that im finally getting my 12 and 13's without a refractometer on hand i couldnt test .

Doc bud im sure u have seen this before ,do you believe its a good sign that im upping my brix?

IMG_20160609_095854.jpg

thats what im aiming for doc and why i set myself the challenge , hey hope not out of line posting this here if so please delete .

this crappy pic if you look closely shows on the right hand side a crystal substance that when tasted is like sugar ,i got these "sugar" crystals pop up inside my nugs that is when you break them open its in there LOL on my last run .

i took it as a sign that im finally getting my 12 and 13's without a refractometer on hand i couldnt test .

Doc bud im sure u have seen this before ,do you believe its a good sign that im upping my brix?

Probably some guttation. Sap.

The way to test brix levels is with a thoroughly pulverized sample and a refractometer. I'll be able to estimate your brix with some good pics of the plants.

Signs of high brix:

1. bright green stems, petioles
2. shiny, waxy leaves.
3. turgor and "posture". You'll know it when you see it.
4. very strong stems. Plants need much less support than if grown organically.
5. Fruity/bakery/floral aroma that is markedly different from "normal."

Probably some guttation. Sap.

The way to test brix levels is with a thoroughly pulverized sample and a refractometer. I'll be able to estimate your brix with some good pics of the plants.

Signs of high brix:

1. bright green stems, petioles
2. shiny, waxy leaves.
3. turgor and "posture". You'll know it when you see it.
4. very strong stems. Plants need much less support than if grown organically.
5. Fruity/bakery/floral aroma that is markedly different from "normal."
Thankyou Doc yes i definately have those signs ,i have got off my butt and ordered a refractometer i was pleasently suprised that after all these years only having done the one brix level test around 4 yrs back because my mate at the time had a refractormeter that its not expensive LOL i had it in my head that id be forking out big bucks ,i got one for 100 ,all this guessing for a 100 bucks hahaha lazy stoner i am

Thankyou Doc yes i definately have those signs ,i have got off my butt and ordered a refractometer i was pleasently suprised that after all these years only having done the one brix level test around 4 yrs back because my mate at the time had a refractormeter that its not expensive LOL i had it in my head that id be forking out big bucks ,i got one for 100 ,all this guessing for a 100 bucks hahaha lazy stoner i am

Very cool you got a refractometer! You'll want a mortar and pestle for crushing samples. Take samples from the same place on the plants each time. I do it when I prune. I crush up the apical bud, down to the first fan leaf and petiole on the young branches I trim off.

I could get higher readings using apical tissue, but I like to leave that alone, so I use prunings that I'm going to remove anyways. Just use the same basic branch and the same time in the cycle each and every time and you'll start to catalog numbers and you'll be able to tell when something makes them happy.

Very cool you got a refractometer! You'll want a mortar and pestle for crushing samples. Take samples from the same place on the plants each time. I do it when I prune. I crush up the apical bud, down to the first fan leaf and petiole on the young branches I trim off.

I could get higher readings using apical tissue, but I like to leave that alone, so I use prunings that I'm going to remove anyways. Just use the same basic branch and the same time in the cycle each and every time and you'll start to catalog numbers and you'll be able to tell when something makes them happy.

thanks doc yep we only tested leaf and waste trimmings as well back then ,ill be following your procedure to the letter in testing this time round as to obtain true results .

your help is greatly appreciated ,no joke ive been growing 23 years now and im still learning LOL

thanks doc yep we only tested leaf and waste trimmings as well back then ,ill be following your procedure to the letter in testing this time round as to obtain true results .

your help is greatly appreciated ,no joke ive been growing 23 years now and im still learning LOL

Says alot of your character to say it. I respect how you have dealt with all of it. You are a good person

:peace:

FE

Well....I just appreciate the discussion. I am using a mineralized, home-built soil and I'm not really sure the product is elite or just some of the best I've ever smoked.

Now there was some great Mexican, Colombian, Cambodian and Hawaiian that are in my past so I can only compare my memory to my produce.

I know just from about 10 months of tent growing that I get better and have so many techniques of topping, pruning, cloning and such available to me....plus the help of other growers.

Keep it coming guys. We'll see if we can soak it up.

:passitleft: Jack Herer in the grinder today

Jim I liked the way you phrased that. I had a similar worry when I hadn't had the twister back yet but brought a friend over to smoke some Huck Kush and Agent Orange. We knew each other back in the day. I was kind of worried as I had taken a couple years off. I wondered if the strains I was growing had real potency. Well after he was glued to the couch for a few hours I had my answer.

I'm pleased as punch to know that my new strains are rocking as much as I thought they were. The twister is still my favorite but now I have some really good genetics that can bring their own worth to the table. I have been smoking on the Tutankhamon and appreciate the dank fruity citrus it has to offer. The THC bomb is quite good as well. Can't wait to see how they do in high Brix!

My 4Csins (Columbian gold X carnival X cotton candy) are all ready to flip. Should be a couple days at most. Right now I am sick as a dog and can barely get out of bed. I need to prune and train the last few plants in flower. I need to get some pics on this thread too! Just need to get well enough to not be dizzy and headachy.

I managed to top some of the new strains like dark dragon and a few pineapple fields seedlings so looks like Stage and I will be growing PF side by side. FLowerfarmer will be putting his into flower soon and I am super excited to see what's up with them.

Even sick I have been able to smoke on some twister though I have switched to vaping for the day. My reversed twister has tons of male flowers all over. Like buds formed from male flowers lol. The early ones didn't have any perceptible pollen but I have been getting trace amounts of pollen on my fingernail poking around some of the ones that haven't opened yet. I have about 8 females in one gallon pots I plant to fertilize and swick in flower with the pollen from twister.

Here I am rambling haha. These alleve aren't helping much. Better reload the firefly and vape some more. Stay frosty peeps.

Sorry to hear that you are under the weather Shigg! Sending good vibes your way.

Back
Top Bottom