HutchBenedict Grows Ace Seeds Purple Haze x Malawi

I have a 300W light from Mars Hydro arriving tomorrow. The current light is a cheap Chinese 150W. Should I install this new light while this grow is in its final weeks or should I wait until the grow is finished?

Also, I have heard that 35W/sq. ft. is the ideal amount of lighting. This new light will produce 42W/sq. ft. Does anybody know if the 35W thing is true?

Hi,Hutch! Hope your Sunday is a good one...
Do you think it will remain as hairy as it is?
I think it will- My Wedding Cheesecake did...the nugs look like hairballs...
You can knock a lot of the hairs off just by shaking the jars- you're not losing any quality, since the pistils contain zero thc...
Also, I have heard that 35W/sq. ft. is the ideal amount of lighting.
I've heard that 30w/sq.ft. is the minimum required to grow decent plants, so 35+ would work just fine-
My cheapo light puts our 46w/sq ft (185w actual draw) and it does ok...

Thanks so much! It's been a long ride but should be close to the finish line in about two weeks. :hookah:

Do you think it will remain as hairy as it is or will those brown hairs recede as we approach harvest?
mine aways had brown hairs a little orange... pot saffron

Hi,Hutch! Hope your Sunday is a good one...

I think it will- My Wedding Cheesecake did...the nugs look like hairballs...
You can knock a lot of the hairs off just by shaking the jars- you're not losing any quality, since the pistils contain zero thc...

I've heard that 30w/sq.ft. is the minimum required to grow decent plants, so 35+ would work just fine-
My cheapo light puts our 46w/sq ft (185w actual draw) and it does ok...
Hi Carcass, thanks for confirming that the hairiness is not uncommon. I wonder if it's genetic? My theory was a combo of too much light where it isn't needed (fried upper buds) and too little light overall. I guess I should just celebrate the hairs as "pot saffron" as yogi says. ;)

I'm excited about my new TSW 2000. It'll be the first time I have a proper light sufficient to my needs. I have a 707 Headband and a Sour Diesel plant on day 3 of their flower cycle in the veg tent waiting for the PHxM to finish. I'll wait until then to install the new light. It's going to be very difficult to be patient and let this grow go all the way!

Hey folks! I'd love to see what you think about these trichome pics. They are zoom-able.
Day F98-3.JPG
Day F98-4.JPG
Day F98-5.JPG
Day F98-6.JPG
Day F98-7.JPG
Day F98-8.JPG

I see a smattering of amber trichomes on the calyxes.

This clip-on lens is new so I have no experience with this, how do the whiter trichomes look? Before I took these pics I thought there was a week or two still to go before harvest. I would like zero clear trichomes and just a smattering of amber. Is that what I'm seeing? Is she ready?

Here are a couple of bud shots...
Day F98-1.JPG
Day F98-2.JPG

Today is day 98 from flip, day 78 from first pistols.

Thanks for dropping by and for all your support!

Hey folks! I'd love to see what you think about these trichome pics. They are zoom-able.
Day F98-3.JPG
Day F98-4.JPG
Day F98-5.JPG
Day F98-6.JPG
Day F98-7.JPG
Day F98-8.JPG

This clip-on lens is new so I have no experience with this, how do the whiter trichomes look? Before I took these pics I thought there was a week or two still to go before harvest. I would like zero clear trichomes and just a smattering of amber. Is that what I'm seeing? Is she ready?

Day F98-1.JPG
Day F98-2.JPG

wow, what a long flowering period. I may hold my next few girls a little linger in flower based on these beauties! I love the amber trichomes in profile - sweet! :adore:

wow, what a long flowering period. I may hold my next few girls a little linger in flower based on these beauties! I love the amber trichomes in profile - sweet! :adore:
Hey, welcome! This gal is a cross between two pure equatorial sativas and needs quite an extended flowering period. Your plants are looking great, pretty much ready to harvest. You wouldn't want to let them go as long as these or you'd pass out ten minutes after smoking! Nice sleep though. :hookah:

I would like zero clear trichomes and just a smattering of amber. Is that what I'm seeing? Is she ready?
She's a hard one to gauge. Sativas in general are. Those brown pistils would normally turn back in towards the bud when it's ready, but sativas are known to throw out new pistils too. You have to go by what ever info you can find on flowering time and gauge it around that window.

but sativas are known to throw out new pistils too
Oh So So very true. Waves of reflowering growth as the girl looks for pollen.
Have you noticed any change in aroma?

in addition to trich color I watch the overall health of the trich. Are they looking healthy straight or wrinkled old.
I think you can wait on it but if ya took it today you would be okay. I recall seeing pistal like that on someone else’s at harvest just cannot remember who.

Day F98-3.JPG
Day F98-4.JPG
Day F98-5.JPG
Day F98-6.JPG
Day F98-7.JPG
Day F98-8.JPG

Day F98-1.JPG
Day F98-2.JPG

@Billpopy79 is my go to glitter guy.

What do you think Bill?

Oh So So very true. Waves of reflowering growth as the girl looks for pollen.
Have you noticed any change in aroma?

in addition to trich color I watch the overall health of the trich. Are they looking healthy straight or wrinkled old.
I think you can wait on it but if ya took it today you would be okay. I recall seeing pistal like that on someone else’s at harvest just cannot remember who.
Hey kelticBlue, I didn't really notice any change in aroma, maybe about half-way through the grow it changed from vaguely unpleasant to weird but pleasant. It stayed pretty weird to be honest. As things turned out I chopped her before your message arrived but those are excellent tips about the trichs. I think they were still healthy straight at chop time. Relatively small as well.

@Billpopy79 is my go to glitter guy.

What do you think Bill?
Hi Trala! Thanks for shouting out to your glitter guy. Too late now though, I chopped her down four days ago, she should be dry enough to smoke tomorrow or Sunday! I won't be able to wait for a proper cure.
Day F103-1.JPG
Day F103-4.JPG

She was chopped on day 103 since the flip (11/13), day 84 of full flower and day 126 of her life. She was about 48" after supercrop. I'll try to get some picks of the dry buds and will definitely give a smoke report. I'm not expecting a huge amount of weight as the buds are very airy.

Now back to listening to some Grammy albums, currently Lucinda Williams "Good Souls Better Angels". I love her and her music. She always sounds so "strung out" as we used to say.

Thank you, and thank you everyone, for all the support!

Congrats on a great harvest, Hutch!:goodjob:
I'm not expecting a huge amount of weight as the buds are very airy.
Judging by the looks of the trichs, it's not going to take much to do the trick!

Back
Top Bottom