James' Soil - Multi-Strain 2012 Grow

Re: James' Organic Soil, Multi-strain 2012 Grow

:welcome: THsea, glad you could stop by.

Thank you for your comments!!

I would like to raise this plant for pollen because it's the love lettuce, but I have no where safe to keep it. That's what first had me thinking it was male was how much faster it was growing than the others, then I checked a node and saw a tiny little pre-flower and figured if that was showing up that soon it was likely to be male. Unfortunately I was right.
Hopefully the others don't end up male, I'm okay with only 4 plants maturing I can just grow them longer but any less than 4 wont end with as much as I'd like. (oz per plant)

He had a nice root ball going to, my plants last time didn't pack as tight of a root ball as this one had already
IMAG000914.jpg

OMM, Very pleased to have you dropping in and for pointing that out to me.

Stoned has been very helpful indeed!! <--- :thanks:

I went back to the TOP vs FIM picture that I got from your journal it seemed like I cut too much off.
FIM_vs_TOP_compare.jpg

How much more should I have left?

My heat has been staying around 80 now, which is not bad but still not the 77 I would like it to be.

Their growth seems to have slowed and I believe it is due to too hot/ too low of humidity (mid 40's now).

I'm sure it also has to do with low dose of nutrients.

:thanks: again for coming by!

Hello and thank you for coming by BPN!! :welcome:

After spending some time over in 1212's journal and Mr. krip's I have decided to switch my girls over to the Gas Light Routine. I have lowered my temps to mostly 80-82 with a high of 84. I would still much rather stay at 76-78, and it takes a while for my temps to reach about 80 so dropping 5 hours of light off the schedule should put me where I want to be.

Plus I am still underfeeding them so a few more hours rest each day may help keep them healthy until I get my nutes in the next couple weeks.

And who doesn't want a cheaper electric bill?

They are now switched to a new schedule:
on from 3:00p.m. to 3:00 a.m.
off from 3:00a.m. to 8:30a.m.
on from 8:30 to 9:30a.m.
off from 9:30 a.m. to 3p.m.

We will see if this keeps the temps where I want them.

I tied down a couple more branches that have gotten long enough
Lst-top-tied_again_4-18-12.jpg

Here is a group shot
IMAG001717.jpg

OMM- already starting to see a bunch of growths trying to peek out :cheesygrinsmiley:

IMAG000321.jpg

BPN- It has only been a day but so far my temps are down below 80 most of the day:slide:. The timing works out good to, light off while I'm sleeping, on for the hour before work, off at work and on from when I get home till I go to bed!!

also BPN- next time your around... What are your opinions on the wick system and the 7-part orgainic line. Am I losing a lot of nutrients to the rope? And as far as the non-dis-solvables (bat guano, worm castings and such) am I fine just adding a little water to whats left in the res and splitting it between the girls? :thanks: for any help you may have

:welcome: Miwa- glad to have you here! Thank you! I was worried I took too much but now that it's growing out I'm not so worried! Good idea on the frozen water trick, I think GLR solved my issue though.

:welcome: Mr. MP- Thank you and just as long as that was the only one I'll be happy. I can't expect 100% to be female from non-feminized seeds!

The girls seem to be recovering nicely from surgery! They have all turned upright and the leaves are far less droopy!

FIM:
IMAG0005_outlined.jpg

The weekling:
IMAG003010.jpg

My better LST:
IMAG002816.jpg

UBT:
IMAG003113.jpg

About at the 5 week mark now, I was hoping for some more growth by now but with temp/humidity issues and the overall lack of food for them I guess I shouldn't expect too much.

I'm thinking about 3 weeks from now I will switch to flowering. That gives me a week until payday, about a week or so for shipping, a week of veg nutes then off to flower... not that my plans work out how I intend them to, but we will see!

I'll cap this off with a Group shot:
IMAG002717.jpg

4/20 UPDATE!!

First off Happy 4/20 everyone and :420: I love the new site!!

Just a quick update:
I bought myself a new 400W HO HPS bulb today! It was $72 and 50% off!!

Now I have both lights running and the temps are back to 82 with a high of 84.

I was looking into Stoned4Daze's suggestion of the homemade cool tube and that seems like it will be a good idea, thanks again. I am hoping to get the supplies soon to make just one for the HPS and hook up a second 250CFM 6" fan to it.

Here is how the FIM is looking
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/IMAG1207.jpg

Should I cut the fan leaves that are growing out now off? I snipped mostly all of the blades off with the FIMing so I don't know if there is a point in keeping them or if I should remove them to get more light into the branches trying to grow?

Here is a group shot with both lights on
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/IMAG1205.jpg

My lumen meter only goes up to 2000 and no matter where I hold it in the room now it stays pegged all the way up:allgood:

Quick update!

All the girls are doing good still, just a little more yellow then before in the new growth, nothing to worry about though!!

I ordered my BPN's last night, they should be getting shipped today and hopefully by the weekend my girls will have their first hearty meal!!:morenutes:

I made a few new additions to the family as well...

A nicely rooted cheese clone that I put into a 2L hempy with wick (not sure if I'm defeating the purpose of the hempy or not with this as it probably won't flood the res at the bottom.. I can always just top it off when the res is empty)

Another cheese that had snapped off the mother and didn't root so I took 2 clippings off it and stuck them in rockwool

and the well rooted cheese was about 4 inches taller than the rest of my plants so I took a clipping of that as well

I also have a Power Kush that was clipped monday and is hopefully rooting now

and lastly a Grape ape that is starting to root

Cheese has been a long favorite of mine so I was real excited to get those!!

Grape ape has also sounded good.

Once these clones root I will be putting them into 2L bottles, hopefully they will be ready to go before I get my new nutes.

Does anyone know if a MH bulb made for growing runs any cooler then a standard MH? Or would I have to go CMH?
I am only running the HPS right now until I can get the heat figured out, that MH bulb is way hotter than the HPS. One 400W is enough for my space but I would like to run both for the better penetration and a wider color spectrum.

I will try to do picture updates at some point today!

I have a bunch of CFLs I used in the seedling stage, that was my other idea was hanging them from the shelves that surround the room but a 400W MH seems like it would do much more. Odds are though that I will hang my (3) 52W T5 fixtures and then fill in with CFLs where needed.

:thanks: both for stopping by!

The 400w will do a bunch more for the plants. You would need at least 15 CFL's to get around the 400w lumen output and it is hard to place that many CFL's within 1-4" from the canopy without crowding your space. I wouldn't think the standard 400w would run hotter. Heat is supposed to be wasted energy, hence why incandescent are so inefficient and LED's are so efficient. The only thing I could think would be different is the spectrum, you could try making that cheapo spectrometer Icemud made in his recent journal. It uses a cereal box and a CD to show the different spectral outputs of the different bulbs. You could see a clear difference in each bulb, just a thought

I remember hearing awhile back that white light is hotter, partly why yellow is softer on the eyes.

Having everything the same (fan position, bulb position) my room runs about 5 degrees cooler with the High output HPS grow light compared to the standard MH.

I'll need to go check that out in his journal!

Either way I'm going to see if I can at least get my T5s in there.

Maybe I will see if I can find another 400W HPS light and just run both of those, HPS is better for flower anyways, and that's the important part!

I'm not too sure. I looked at the light distance chart and comparing a 250 HPS & MH

The chart however reads at the top "This chart is in reference to amount of light, not heat"

If it was based on heat I think the numbers would be reversed

The HPS states 27,500 lumens, and to hang 5-16"

The MH states 20,000 lumens, and to hang 4-13"

I would think the MH would run hotter. Since the HPS has quite a bit more lumens with the same wattage it leads me to believe it is more efficient, which would in turn mean less wasted energy = Less heat

This is all of course using common knowledge, I am nowhere close to being an electrician

MH, or dual spectrum in flowering is supposed to increase amounts of resin & potency. I think another HPS would bring your yield up more though

Back
Top Bottom