James' Soil - Multi-Strain 2012 Grow

Re: James' Organic Soil, Multi-strain 2012 Grow

Stoned:
I would agree with ya there!! I wonder why the HPS is suppose to be further away though if it runs cooler?

Maybe I will see if I can get my (2) 150W MH lights going, I could hang those in there however I want to get the full spectrum.

I think I will get enough quantity for what I need, I would like to go for the best quality overall, it's more important to me!

Here is the better of the LSTs
IMAG12243.jpg

Does anyone have a guess at what that smaller stipule looking thing is? I thought it may be the next set of leaves but the branch grew out more and that didn't move. It is also a little off to the side about where a preflower would be but it doesn't look like a preflower to me, it's kind of flat.
IMAG12281.jpg

Stoned:
I would agree with ya there!! I wonder why the HPS is suppose to be further away though if it runs cooler?

Maybe I will see if I can get my (2) 150W MH lights going, I could hang those in there however I want to get the full spectrum.

I think I will get enough quantity for what I need, I would like to go for the best quality overall, it's more important to me!

It is supposed to be further away according to that chart because the chart is in reference to amount of light, it doesn't account for heat. That is why I said if it was based upon heat I think it the heights would be reversed. Since it is based on amount of light and the HPS is more intense with 7,500 more lumens, it needs to be hung further away

Your two 150w MH' sounds like a great idea if you can keep temps under control

Sorry for being away for so long James, but looks like you got everything going really well! Your doing a killer job on the LST, keep tying those babies down and in a week or 2 you will have double the amount of tops :)

As far as your lighting questions, I honestly have experienced the opposite that everyone else is reporting. In my grow it seems that running my 400w ushio in a cool tube barely even raises my ambient room temps, however when my 400w HPS comes on, the temp's go up quite significantly. So from what I have found is that MH seems to project less Heat than an HPS, which would make sense. The bulb tempature itself of the MH might be hotter, but it projects far less IR band (heat) than an HPS so theoreticly the HPS would raise temps more than a MH bulb (if you have air cooled tube or hood) At least this is what I have experienced, may not be right or wrong, but wanted to share my experience with lighting with you. :)

I can't wait to see what's in store for these girl's in the coming weeks, excellent job so far James!!!

Now for the clones!!

Here is how the well rooted cheese looked before topping:
IMAG12621.jpg

and this is the 2L setup:
Perlite for the bottom 2 inches
then the rest is:
40% Perlite
20% Coco
20% earthworm castings
20% -2 parts coco, 2 parts pro-mix (for wick absorption), and 1 parts perlite
8" Tall
A drain hole about 3" from the bottom
and the wick goes in at about 2" from the top then drops to the bottom
IMAG12602.jpg

Here the cheese is in her new home
IMAG12631.jpg

lol sorry stoned, I remember reading that too and by the time I was responding I had forgotten it:lot-o-toke:

I'm kinda hoping that with the (2) 150s the heat will be more dispersed then coming from (1) 400W.
It won't be until flowering that I try to get those going. I don't really care about using the full 36" headroom, I'm okay with only having 2 foot plants as long as the quality is the best it can be.
:thanks: again for the help!!

Icemud!! Glad to have you back.
I believe the plan is to tie them down until the clones are all rooted (and hopefully caught up in height), and for a week after I get the BPN nutes. After that 36 hours darkness then let them go on 12/12. If any shoot up above the others in the stretch they will be tied down as I want to keep the canopy as even I can.

:thanks:for sharing, difference may be the vent/cool tube. I am going bare bulb. Also not sure if it maybe has something to do with the 5" wide MH compared to 2" wide HPS? not sure

I can't wait to see what happens either :), especially after the :morenutes:
Glad your here with me to see what's in store :passitleft:
:thanks: for the comments!

The rest of the clones:

Here is the well rooted cheese after topping
IMAG12641.jpg

and here is the top from the topping after 1 day
IMAG12703.jpg

This is the Grape Ape, the cube was split so I peeked at the root development and couldn't see any but it was held firmly in place so the roots must all be going out the side I cant see. I dripped some clonex in and wrapped it back up.
IMAG12671.jpg

Here's the Power Kush that was clipped Monday and re-cubed yesterday with some clonex
IMAG12682.jpg

These are the 2 cheese clones that I took off the one that had not even tried to root, they are still standing upright and the stems have gone from all purple to half green.
IMAG12691.jpg

Here is the makeshift cloning station until I can make something better, it's nice that the cool mist humidifier constantly sprays them as the fan pulls the mist right over them.
IMAG12722.jpg

Here is how they looked this morning:
IMAG12753.jpg

A group shot
IMAG12733.jpg

and this is the FIM
I very much want to cut those 4 fan leaves off (circled) so that the branches will get all the light. Anything bad about it?
IMAG1277_edited1.jpg

That's it for now, I might try to get a couple updated pictures up later, if not it will be real soon with the nutes coming!! Can't wait!!

You know, in most cutting tutorials they say to cut the fan leaves... But When I've taken cuttings, it only helped when I cut the really big fan leaves... Other than that, cutting smaller ones... Well, I lost most of those!

Looking good! Cheese is a nice strain... Grape Ape too!! Your grows frog guardian is keeping a watchful eye! ;)

Here is the better of the LSTs
IMAG12243.jpg

Does anyone have a guess at what that smaller stipule looking thing is? I thought it may be the next set of leaves but the branch grew out more and that didn't move. It is also a little off to the side about where a preflower would be but it doesn't look like a preflower to me, it's kind of flat.
IMAG12281.jpg

Nice work on the LST! I think that's just another leaf forming. Guess we will find out! :thumb:

I made sure to leave the newest leaves uncut, hopefully mine don't meet the same drastic fate!! That sucks
This is the first time I have tried to clone a proper way other than just dipping in clonex and sticking them in dirt. The rockwool seems to be pretty awesome for this. I was planning on 2 not making it leaving me with 8 plants total, hopefully they all pull through though.

As long as I can get prepared for it in time, I want to take the best clone I can find from the cheese and make a bonsai mother right before the 12/12 switch.

These seem like they are healthy, the grape ape seems to be doing good and I think it will soon find its way to a 2L

The 2 cheeses I took from the dead stick are still standing upright and the stem is turning more and more green from purple (have to assume that's a good sign)

The power kush has started standing upright again and for the most part so has the cheese from the topping (this one I feel I made to big and should have been just a little smaller)

clones_with_names.jpg

I saw this water droplet between the two fingers on this leaf and it scared me thinking it was webbing of some kind. Thankfully it was just a stray hair
IMAG12834.jpg

Hey Buddy........don't cut those leaves off.......they will turn into something good I think! You do know what FIM stands for don't you? F**K I Missed! Give her time, if you will. She may be a very bushy girl!:high-five:

Thank you, I was about to clip them soon to, glad I waited. I thought I would get more light to the branches forming but I was also thinking it would inhibit growth for awhile not having the newest set of fan leaves. Really glad you came by then. :Namaste:

I did know what it stood for :cheesygrinsmiley: but thank you!

I'm trying to give it time but I am just starting to get impatient again with the slow growth. Hopefully that will change soon as I ordered my BPN's and they should be here Monday!!!!:slide::morenutes:

Thank you, I was about to clip them soon to, glad I waited. I thought I would get more light to the branches forming but I was also thinking it would inhibit growth for awhile not having the newest set of fan leaves. Really glad you came by then. :Namaste:

I did know what it stood for :cheesygrinsmiley: but thank you!

I'm trying to give it time but I am just starting to get impatient again with the slow growth. Hopefully that will change soon as I ordered my BPN's and they should be here Monday!!!!:slide::morenutes:

If you can wait...that would be good, however if you have better girls in your mind, go with them. You are the Grower always! :high-five:

Just tied down the girls down again. They had started to gain more height so down they went.

I have 3 confirmed females, just waiting on the last one now!! I have seen pre-flowers all over on a couple of them, I'm wondering if the GLR is causing them to show up early?

Might be a good way to sex early other than 12/12ing a clone or switching and re-vegging! Has anyone else that has done GLR noticed this or is it just more common than I realize for them to show up this early?

i don't remember seeing a humdity dome for your cuttings...any type of cover will work...i just sit my whole plant in a fish tank...spray the inside of the tank and cover the opening...your humidity needs to be higher...high 80s..your plants looks good though..you are going to be very busy...:welldone:

Hey miwa, good to see you again!

I did not have a dome, I thought 60% was fine with them in the constant mist of the guardian frog. I think what that may have been doing though is keeping them alive through the leaves and not making them need to root. When I get home I will throw them in a fish tank, that's a good idea and I have plenty of those laying around. I think the only one that may be rooting is the grape ape... Hopefully the cheeses start soon!
:thanks: for stopping by!

Back
Top Bottom