Jl01's Blue Dream Indoor Grow: First Time Grower, 2019

I'm back for another quick update today. I mentioned in my post the other day's that I've flipped them to flower, and yesterday I realized I was probably a little late to do a major pruning, so I went ahead and knocked it out. I've read several different opinions on it, but lots of growers seem to think that a "lollipopping" needs to be done right around the beginning of flower if it's going to be done. I guess that's kind of what I was going for, so I don't think it was a bad time to do so.

You can see from the lower branching that the training was pretty successful. Plant #2 is the plant prominent in the second picture and the wide wedge shape is pretty apparent.
IMG_2653.jpeg
IMG_2639.jpeg
IMG_2650.jpeg

As you can see from the top view, the canopy is still pretty full. The square tent is an awkward shape to fit three plants, as you can see from the blank areas on either end of Plant #3 (Cream & Cheese)

Thanks a lot! I basically soaked some rock wool cubes in (tap) water for 15min or so, then took my cuttings, dipped the tips into clonex gel, and stuck them into the cube and waited. They sat on a tray in the tent with the big plants.

Most of the how-to guides made a point to talk about the pH aspect, so thats why I assumed that was the issue. Apparently the manufacturing process gives the rock wool a naturally high pH, so you need to soak them in water pHed to like 5.5 to bring it back down. Or at least that’s what the guides said.

I’m not too worried about it right now, I’ll get it down next time. I’m still just excited to see these plants through to the finish.
pH shouldn't be an issue in cloning due to the fact there isn't really any nutrient uptake. Any nutrient uptake is generally done through foliar sprays while the rooting is taking place.

What were your temps like and your RH? You need to keep clones in very high humidity if possible. I agree that pH was probably not your issue.

pH shouldn't be an issue in cloning due to the fact there isn't really any nutrient uptake. Any nutrient uptake is generally done through foliar sprays while the rooting is taking place.

What were your temps like and your RH? You need to keep clones in very high humidity if possible. I agree that pH was probably not your issue.

Sorry for the long gap between posts. I meant to come back and answer that at the time the humidity was pretty high due to some storms we were having, probably in the 60%-70% range, and temps were probably in the 60s-70s, which may be too low. I also went cheap on the rock wool cubes, so that could have been an issue too.

Quick update:

I mentioned last week that we're officially in flower, so I wanted to come post a few pics and get an opinion on some leaf coloring I'm seeing on plant #2, the biggest of the three. We're about 2wks into flower now, and the stretching has definitely been noticeable. I've stopped tucking the stems in the trellis and they're just growing straight up now. Some of the stems are reaching up a bit higher than the others but nothing too drastic, and the tallest ones are way out on the edges, near the walls of the tent, so they're not blocking much. I stuck a dehumidifier in there, and I'm holding steady just below 50% RH most of the time, but the temps have been harder to control. At night with the lights off, the temps are getting down to the 57F-58F range, which is a little low, but we're in a cold snap now, so I think they'll come up a little bit going forward. Daytime temps are generally high 60s, which I'm totally fine with.

IMG_2955.JPEG

IMG_2942.JPEG

IMG_2935.JPEG

As you can see, we're fully in bloom, and each plant seems to be doing well. No more signs of bugs or any other pests, and I gave them their second flower feeding on Friday, so they're happy. The white hairs are kind of difficult to photograph with the lighting, but they're ve

This doesn't seem to be much of a big deal right now, but I'd like to see if anyone has any opinion on some coloration I'm getting on some of the mid-level fan leaves on plant #2. This picture shows what I'm talking about on the left with a side-by-side comparison of a normal, true-green fan leaf from plant #1 on the right.

IMG_2946.JPEG

This is a close-up of the leaf, and maybe you can tell, there is the tiniest bit of yellowing and some small bronze-colored spots about halfway through the veins and the leaf's edge. This seems to only be occurring on the upper/newer leaves, all the older ones are the deepest green. Whatever the problem is (if there is even a problem), it seems to be very minor, but I'd just like to get out in front of whatever it might be. That particular example seemed to be the worst of it, and about 80% seemed to be totally normal, so that's why the few that look like this one stuck out at me. I'd guess some sort of minor deficiency? It's definitely the biggest plant and has been getting roughly the same amount of food as the other two, so I think it would make sense.

IMG_2947.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_2948.JPEG
    IMG_2948.JPEG
    608.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2949.JPEG
    IMG_2949.JPEG
    594.3 KB · Views: 25
Sorry @jl01 i saw your post, never had time to reply, and lost track of what journal it was lol. I hope Slytown was helpful with the chart!

it almost looks like a magnesium def. I see the purple stem on the leaf, is there other stems or branches that are purple as well?

If you grow with bottled nutes, I would splash some extra cal mag in there next time. If you are in soil.....top dress some Gypsum and Epsom Salt on the plant. I try to keep the Gypsum at a 2 to 1 ratio of the Epsom Salts at a minimum.

You may want to reference this chart:

Leaf Diagnosis.jpg

This is great, thanks!

Sorry @jl01 i saw your post, never had time to reply, and lost track of what journal it was lol. I hope Slytown was helpful with the chart!

it almost looks like a magnesium def. I see the purple stem on the leaf, is there other stems or branches that are purple as well?

All good! To answer your question, yes I have quite a few purple stems on all three plants. It's mostly prominent on the bottom fan leaves that seem to be the biggest and oldest, but there are also some on the younger leaves. I wan't aware that it was a symptom of a deficiency, but the more I research the more I realize it could be a deficiency in some of the metallic nutrients.

looks like a calcium deficiency to me...

Thanks! I think I'm going to look for a cal-mag supplement that jives with my organic 'living' soil

If you grow with bottled nutes, I would splash some extra cal mag in there next time. If you are in soil.....top dress some Gypsum and Epsom Salt on the plant. I try to keep the Gypsum at a 2 to 1 ratio of the Epsom Salts at a minimum.

Awesome, I'm using an organic soil setup so I'm thinking the epsom/gypsum salt would be my best option.

I'm posting a few more pictures to show the ongoing symptoms:

IMG_2975.jpeg

IMG_2995.jpeg
IMG_3005.jpeg
IMG_3008.jpeg
IMG_3011.jpeg

One other question I'd like to ask is if anyone thinks it's possible the leaf coloration could simply be due to genetics? Or possibly that temps are getting too low overnight? I haven't checked temperatures overnight because I don't want to leak too much light when they're supposed to be dark, but it's possible that temps are getting lower than I expect. I think it's possible they they've gotten down to the low 50s, though I'd be pretty surprised if they got lower than that.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has used CaMg+ by General Organics or CalMag by 'True'? I'm going to go ahead and give them a low-dose of a cal-mag supplement and I'm wondering if anyone has used these for organic grows as opposed to gypsum/epsom blend that was suggested above. Just want to review a few options before going with something.

Thanks again for all the great advice so far!

it's possible the leaf coloration could simply be due to genetics? Or possibly that temps are getting too low overnight?
Short answer is, no.

lol, it’s common to have around a 5-6 degree temperature swing from day time to night time. I wouldn’t worry to much about it.. (unless it’s a severe temperature swing, then that’s a whole different can of worms)

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has used CaMg+ by General Organics or CalMag by 'True'? I'm going to go ahead and give them a low-dose of a cal-mag supplement and I'm wondering if anyone has used these for organic grows as opposed to gypsum/epsom blend that was suggested above. Just want to review a few options before going with something.
yes, both good products for organic gardens... The gypsum/epsom method would be very easy to overdo and end up with an unbalanced soil that no longer can hold other vital nutrients. The calmag supplements come in with a much lower calcium and magnesium content for a good reason.

Stick to a tablespoon of Gypsum and a teaspoon of Epsom Salt and you will be fine if the general health of your soil is good.

That combo is about the only thing I do in soil so battle the rare strain that shows high usage. Takes the Gypsum a while to be used up.....its not all soluble and has to be broken down. If you use the powder instead of the crumble type, it gets broken down relatively quickly.

yes, both good products for organic gardens... The gypsum/epsom method would be very easy to overdo and end up with an unbalanced soil that no longer can hold other vital nutrients. The calmag supplements come in with a much lower calcium and magnesium content for a good reason.

Stick to a tablespoon of Gypsum and a teaspoon of Epsom Salt and you will be fine if the general health of your soil is good.

That combo is about the only thing I do in soil so battle the rare strain that shows high usage. Takes the Gypsum a while to be used up.....its not all soluble and has to be broken down. If you use the powder instead of the crumble type, it gets broken down relatively quickly.

Thanks for the advice! I went ahead and ordered a bottle of the True brand CalMag product, since I feel like that would be a lot harder for me to screw up. But as I get more experience under my belt, I'd like to migrate towards the simpler methods like using a couple of salts, so I'm glad you mentioned that.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom