JoJo's Hempy SCROG Bucket C99 Grow Journal - 2015

Hi JoJo, everything is looking fantastic!
I am also getting lower leaves turning yellow and dropping with slow growth also but may have found the culprit.
Will be posting some pictures and concerns in my last thread.

Good to see everything is going good with your grow :circle-of-love:

Looking good jojo! Giving me some great ideas :)
I'm guessing by all this ozone talk that you needed an upgrade to the diy carbon filter? I was thinking about going that route to save a few bucks, I only have a 40cubic foot space to filter. That being said I just cannot have it stop working while I'm gone.. How did yours work out?

JoJo all is looking excellent with your hempy grow and a tutorial of your ozone generator would be a great educational addition.
:thumb: + reps

Thank you! I'll be sure to put up some pictures. I have some other tutorials I'm working on too. The DIY section of the site could always use a little more attention!

Hi JoJo, everything is looking fantastic!
I am also getting lower leaves turning yellow and dropping with slow growth also but may have found the culprit.
Will be posting some pictures and concerns in my last thread.

Good to see everything is going good with your grow :circle-of-love:

Hey Ruthy! I saw your update and unfortunately continuous problems come with this hobby... Maybe it's all the ups and downs that make this hobby so fun? You should put up a picture of your entire plant too!

Looking good jojo! Giving me some great ideas :)
I'm guessing by all this ozone talk that you needed an upgrade to the diy carbon filter? I was thinking about going that route to save a few bucks, I only have a 40cubic foot space to filter. That being said I just cannot have it stop working while I'm gone.. How did yours work out?

Thanks for joining Yoda!

Take all of my ideas with a grain of salt, they aren't proven yet! As for the DIY carbon filter, I wish I would have just bought a pre-made one. It's just not as good as it could be, and I'll never pack the carbon as tightly as a factory can. Plus, it really wasn't much cheaper to make my own. If I were you, I'd just buy one with a good centrifugal fan. I may break down and buy a proper one soon..

I just wanted to share something I noticed last night. I'm not really sure what exactly it is, but it was on several fan leaves of the big Hempy. It was affecting most of the curled leaves, but some of the others as well. I think it may be either from the ozone, heat stress the last few days (probably highs around 90°F), or the lack of nutrients the last 2 days from getting only water.

Hopefully she doesn't get any worse!

1_1_40.jpg

1_2_40.jpg

I'll also share that I believe that my high temps are partially due to not having a large enough intake to the grow room. I finally got some time to change that, and had to make another light louver. I put up a tutorial in case anyone is interested or is in need of one.
DIY Light Louvers

This one measures 6" x 18" and should allow a good amount of air through!

Louver10.jpg

Noob question, how does one subscribe to a thread, does simply posting keep you updated as new posts are made on a thread? I'm looking at a similar project and would like to see how this turns out and ask some questions :)

Posting anything on a thread subscribes you- or if you can find 'thread tools', which is on the grey bar which is - ummmm-under the green horizontal bar - the second green bar down from the top. In thread tools you can find a 'subscribe to this thread' link.
To view your subscribed threads click on 'settings' which is near the top right, between your user name and the search area. Then hit 'settings' or 'subscribed threads' in the list that pops up.

I'm not seriously suggesting this, it's just one of my favorite pictures on this site...

20150606_134350.jpg

"Carbon filter"

Haha iwltfum, I forgot about that! I saw that some time ago, and thought to myself "if odor becomes an issue again, I'll make an air polisher with some charcoal." Unfortunately I forgot about that... I guess this hobby rewards you in ways that may affect memory!

As a quick update on the odor, I'll confirm that heat is one of the biggest issues for making odor spread, at least in my situation. After I added the extra intake, the temperatures dropped maybe 5°F, and the odor is much lower. My canopy is now around 80°F. I turned off the ozone generator for now, but still have the ONA bucket running in the adjacent room.

I'm also considering re-designing my grow room, if I decide not to build a box. I may go as far as taking out everything in the room, and drywalling it, painting it white, and covering the floor in thick plastic. It's either that, or I'll have to figure out if a grow box in my basement can go un-noticed by visitors, and how I'd disguise it, as well as vent it outside without suspicion. Decisions, decisions..

Enough rambling, I'll post a photo update later tonight!

Haha iwltfum, I forgot about that! I saw that some time ago, and thought to myself "if odor becomes an issue again, I'll make an air polisher with some charcoal." Unfortunately I forgot about that... I guess this hobby rewards you in ways that may affect memory!

As a quick update on the odor, I'll confirm that heat is one of the biggest issues for making odor spread, at least in my situation. After I added the extra intake, the temperatures dropped maybe 5°F, and the odor is much lower. My canopy is now around 80°F. I turned off the ozone generator for now, but still have the ONA bucket running in the adjacent room.

I'm also considering re-designing my grow room, if I decide not to build a box. I may go as far as taking out everything in the room, and drywalling it, painting it white, and covering the floor in thick plastic. It's either that, or I'll have to figure out if a grow box in my basement can go un-noticed by visitors, and how I'd disguise it, as well as vent it outside without suspicion. Decisions, decisions..

Enough rambling, I'll post a photo update later tonight!

I like those ramblings. Post more, if you are into it I mean feel free. The smartest thing I did was put a drain in my floor. Also I built the walls with plywood- I can attach anything anywhere, and it's tough and I like to be able to paint it now and then. Drywall may make the room slightly quieter though.

@PTSd - I just subbed, and it looks like you are doing things similarly to what I may do - start in a higher/hotter part of the house and then move to the basement!

@Weaselcracker - When are you going to join the cool kids and start a journal?

I've also considered putting a water supply/drain in the room, as I have extremely easy access to them. I just want to make sure I can revert all the changes back to a state where no one could tell the room was ever there. My room now is mostly held together with a few screws and lots of staples.

Per your request, I'll keep posting my ramblings!

Funny you ask. I'm getting so close to doing that. It could happen any moment. Why, is it because you're tired of me posting silly crap on your journal? Have I done that? I can't remember but chances are good.
I do want to be cool like you guys.
What I want to resolve before I start a journal is this. I want to be able to take photos under the hps lights and have them look good. I take most of my photos with an iPhone. I've ordered some special HPS sunglasses. And I have been looking for apps. I hate photos of plants taken under LED or HPS lights they are almost pointless. Was about to post a thread on this maybe somebody has ideas.

Haha, I'm not tired of you posting here, I look forward to it! Also, don't worry - I think you're cool, but I'd have to see your setup to know for sure..

On the pictures, I completely understand. I was at the same point before I started my journal. I couldn't take good pictures because of the LED. After (too much) research, I solved my problem. I too planned on using my iPhone for pictures, but there didn't seem to be any good apps to solve the white balance issue to my satisfaction, and I didn't want to tweak each and every picture to get it just right.

I dug out my point-and-shoot, which is several years old, and in the settings you can set a custom white balance. I then set it using a white tote under my LED, and all the pictures come out perfect now. I then do some minimal processing to remove personal info and reduce size, then to 420 they go. If you may have an older camera sitting around, I'd play around and see what it can do. Mine has a manual mode, with several selections of white balances (auto, daylight, fluorescent, etc).

Update (33 days flower, 89 days old):

I fed the girls tonight, and all is looking good. Bud growth still seems slow, but I supposed they've only had flowers for a few weeks. I'm probably a bit over halfway through flowering! I'll probably harvest around day 60, if I remember from the last round.

I still have some of the rusty looking spots on some of the leaves, and I'm not really sure what's causing it. It almost looks like calcium deficiency, but I believe that deficiency usually starts in the older fan leaves, and they don't have any issues. I don't believe it's spreading either, so it may have been the ozone or heat? My tap is 250 PPM and has a lot of calcium, plus I have still been adding Cal/Mag (5 tsp/gal) for each feeding. Surely that's not the issue!?

I won't do a comparison today, as you can't tell too much. Do you guys even like the comparisons?

I tried to get some pictures in a better light to show off the trichome development. Frosty!

1_7_13.jpg

1_4_35.jpg

1_8_15.jpg

1_5_27.jpg

1_1_42.jpg

And here's the little Hempy! I love that second shot of the "spikey bud".

1_6_19.jpg

1_2_41.jpg

1_3_35.jpg

As for the clone, she's shooting up. I trimmed off the lower branches, so she has a total of 7 branches. I'm going to try a method I haven't seen before with her, to test a theory of mine. More info/diagrams to come later.

1_9_12.jpg

1_10_6.jpg

Thanks for following along!

Drywall also will help with fire control in a worse case.

Back
Top Bottom