JoJo's Hempy SCROG Bucket C99 Grow Journal - 2015

Man, that sounds hot and humid! Glad to hear you got the temperatures down. Are you not able to grow in your house?

I've noticed the plant seeming much happier with the SCROG setting, and the airflow around it is really good too. I had some heat issues in my last grows, but the SCROG makes it easy to get air around it. I'd recommend it.

Update (38 days flower, 95 days old):

Things have been a little warmer the last few days, but all still seems well. The canopy temperature has a high of about 80°F during the day. The 'death' caused from the ozone isn't spreading either, so it's not a calcium issue. I fed them tonight with 3/4 strength nutrient solution, to give them a bit of a break, especially since it's been hot.

15 Day Comparison:

1_2_36.jpg

1_3_37.jpg

1_4_37.jpg

1_6_21.jpg

Then there's the little Hempy. Her buds are looking great, and kind of foxtailing as they grow. This is a beautiful sativa.

1_5_29.jpg

1_7_15.jpg

Don't forget about the clone. I've started training her, as I've trained other girls in the past... I take the top two shoots and spread them apart and keeping them low, allowing the lower branches to come up to the same level. There are 7 branches total.

15 Day Comparison:

1_5_24.jpg

1_1_44.jpg

1_2_43.jpg

I almost feel like I shouldn't have added that picture with the sharpie -it makes my buds look so small...

Your clone is taking it's time coming out of flower. What I noticed about adding the tea is a heavier coating of crystals and bigger buds in the end. My favorite media mix contains 3 parts perlite, 1 part Oil-Dri which is a montmorillonite clay (calcined) and 1 part Peat moss which may work with bennies better than straight perlite or perlite/vermiculite. It also seems to keep my reservoir nice and clear.

Im seeing some nute burn on your tips and also some possible mag/cal issues. I know u said the ozone machine but im still seeing some i believe. What mag/cal supplement are you giving your big girl?

You buds are pretty but I already knew they were going to be very small with all those tops and the light you have. You cant grow more than the light you have! Still a beautiful grow and hopefully some great bud! Just a lot of trimming =)

Your clone is taking it's time coming out of flower. What I noticed about adding the tea is a heavier coating of crystals and bigger buds in the end. My favorite media mix contains 3 parts perlite, 1 part Oil-Dri which is a montmorillonite clay (calcined) and 1 part Peat moss which may work with bennies better than straight perlite or perlite/vermiculite. It also seems to keep my reservoir nice and clear.

Yeah, these last two rounds of clones have taken much longer to come out of flower. I set myself back by taking them a few days into flower, and they were lower branches which weren't getting much light either. Though I think it's good this one was set back so I can keep it's size down.

Thats an interesting medium, I've never heard of someone using oil-dri... Whatever works! On the subject of additional flower nutrients, I was at the hydro store looking around the other day, but I just didn't really know what I was looking at. I saw there were a few GH bloom boosters, and they have some Fox Farms products too, but I figured I'd do some research first.

Im seeing some nute burn on your tips and also some possible mag/cal issues. I know u said the ozone machine but im still seeing some i believe. What mag/cal supplement are you giving your big girl?

You buds are pretty but I already knew they were going to be very small with all those tops and the light you have. You cant grow more than the light you have! Still a beautiful grow and hopefully some great bud! Just a lot of trimming =)

Thanks for the opinion Hunter! I'm pretty sure I don't have any cal/mag issues though. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the only affected leaves were right in front of the ozone generator, making a nice stripe across the canopy. Really weird. The rest of the canopy is nice and green and doesn't have any spotting on the leaves. The nute burn, however, is real. That's part of the reason I'm at 3/4 nutes, but I haven't noticed any more burning the last few weeks, so I MAY be able to get by with full strength. Is it better to be light than heavy on nutes?

I'm using General Organics CaMg+ at a 5 ml/gal dilution. It is derived from calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate, and smells nasty! I haven't noticed any nutrient issues on the lower leaves either, which I believe is where calcium is typically pulled from first.

On the light - oh I know, and I'm realizing it more every day. I should have reduced the number of budsites even more because I'm going to have TONS to trimming to do. On the bright side, I guess I can make a decent amount of hash.. I won't have nearly this many budsites in future grows, and I'm going to try out some different things. I'd like to stick with the LEDs for now, but HIDs are in my future, I can feel it!

Ugh... Bad news everyone.

I was trimming the tops of the buds, using LA's backbuilding technique, and it revealed that MOST of the buds had immature seeds forming in them. This really puts a downer on this grow, but I'm going to grow it out anyway.

I'm not really sure what happened. This could have happened 3 ways that I'm aware of:

1. I selectively pollinated 1 bud of each plant about 3 weeks into flowering, and the pollen got blown around the room and pollinated everything. I don't think this is very likely.

2. There was still residual pollen in the room from my last round of feminized breeding. I didn't clean the grow room, but I doubt this is very likely either. All of my pollen was mixed and stored with flour, then applied with a q-tip.

3. The plant hermied and I didn't/haven't notice the male flowers. I looked over the plants but still can't find any male flowers. They may have been stressed from that 1 day they got an extra 4 hours of minimal light (unlikely), or maybe the ozone issue stressed the big Hempy out?

Looks like I'm going to get more seeds than anticipated... I'm tired of these hermie issues so the next seeds I buy are going to be regular, not feminized, to reduce my chances of hermies.

Ugh... Bad news everyone.

I was trimming the tops of the buds, using LA's backbuilding technique, and it revealed that MOST of the buds had immature seeds forming in them. This really puts a downer on this grow, but I'm going to grow it out anyway.

I'm not really sure what happened. This could have happened 3 ways that I'm aware of:

1. I selectively pollinated 1 bud of each plant about 3 weeks into flowering, and the pollen got blown around the room and pollinated everything. I don't think this is very likely.

2. There was still residual pollen in the room from my last round of feminized breeding. I didn't clean the grow room, but I doubt this is very likely either. All of my pollen was mixed and stored with flour, then applied with a q-tip.

3. The plant hermied and I didn't/haven't notice the male flowers. I looked over the plants but still can't find any male flowers. They may have been stressed from that 1 day they got an extra 4 hours of minimal light (unlikely), or maybe the ozone issue stressed the big Hempy out?

Looks like I'm going to get more seeds than anticipated... I'm tired of these hermie issues so the next seeds I buy are going to be regular, not feminized, to reduce my chances of hermies.

I feel for you JoJo!
The seed popping on my end seems to be working, but it is a very lengthy process and with all of those buds OMGoodness.
I just hope you have no where the amount of seeds I have.

I feel for you JoJo!
The seed popping on my end seems to be working, but it is a very lengthy process and with all of those buds OMGoodness.
I just hope you have no where the amount of seeds I have.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it would take me at least a day to find and pop all the seeds in my SCROG, so I'll leave that to you! I guess I'll always be trying for that elusive "perfect grow"!

Pics of seeds forming! Are you sure they are seed pods and not just calyx's?

Unfortunately, I'm 95% sure they are seeds. I'll get some close-ups tomorrow for the update, but there are tiny solid seeds in the calyxes. Some of the seeds in this C99 form oddly too, outside of the calyxes. I noticed this on the last last grow. But when I was snipping off the tops of the buds, it exposed the seeds inside!

Update (41 days flower, 98 days old):

Alright, so everything is looking great. I fed the big Hempy with 10 ml/gal CalMag (you may have been right Hunter) and 3/4 strength nutrients. PPM IN was abound 1000, PPM OUT was about 1200 PPM (a little high, but this may be the last feeding).

I also flushed the little Hempy with tap water adjusted to 5.8 pH. PPM IN was 300, PPM OUT was 600. Good enough for now. I'll keep watering with lots of runoff. I feel like it's probably easier on the plants the more they taper off, but that's just a guess.

I'm not going to do a comparison today because I have lot of cool pictures at the end...

You can see a small seed in top of the bud in the 4th picture.

Big Hempy:

1_14_1.jpg

1_1_45.jpg

1_9_13.jpg

1_12_2.jpg

Little Hempy: I tied the buds up again today, as they are sagging. She's also looking a little wilted since she doesn't have enough water. I took care of that though!

1_13_1.jpg

And the clone. Kind of a cool "cup" shape.

1_10_7.jpg

Now for a treat, trichome pictures! You can even see a seed pretty well in one of the pictures!

1_16_1.jpg

1_15_3.jpg

1_11_2.jpg

1_8_17.jpg

1_7_16.jpg

I hope you enjoyed, cause those were a pain to take! Looks mostly cloudy with some clear. I figure in 2 weeks there should be some amber in there!

Looking great despite the seeds jojo! I still cant get over how even that canopy is.

Nice and frosty! :thumb:

Gotta catch up on all this, I just cruised to the end! Sorry to hear bout the extra seeds. I am super excited to give this c99 a go now. Those buds looks tasty! Also, slick set up from page one. Wish I had that much room!

Looking great despite the seeds jojo! I still cant get over how even that canopy is.

Nice and frosty! :thumb:

Thanks! After the first 3 weeks, I hardly had to do anything and it stayed that same height! This grow has been prettty nice.

fantastic pictures of your trics man!

This is one of those few times where a cheap eBay purchase pays off... In my case a $20 digital microscope.

Does the thin plastic cup you're using as a shade (awesome! I'm stealing it.) get too hot? Seems like they might get really warm... even to the point of melting.

The story behind the shade - I wanted a cheap reflector for a single bulb, so to Wally World I went. Saw the $1 bowl, and drilled a 1" hole in it. It doesn't get as hot as you'd think. Not even close to melting as far as I can tell. I'm using 23W actual draw. Steel the idea!

Gotta catch up on all this, I just cruised to the end! Sorry to hear bout the extra seeds. I am super excited to give this c99 a go now. Those buds looks tasty! Also, slick set up from page one. Wish I had that much room!

Thanks for joining! And don't hate me, but I'm thinking of downsizing my space! I'm going to see how minimal I can get with this same setup. Did you by chance get feminized seeds? I know yours is a different breeder, but I've read that some people who have grown my strain have had some hermie issues. I know I have. They are all super tiny seeds though, so I still love this strain!

Nope not fem. I've only ever had one or two stains that were fem and I think they were both auto. Both hermed. I hope for no herms, I've found a couple seeds in the plants that are coming down over this next month :(. That'll teach me for getting cheapy seeds. Also I'm thinking I might have a PH issue :hmmmm::trance:

Downsizing?! What? But you have so much light. What are you thinking?

(almost caught up on page 8 now I think)

I have had some herm issues with femmed seeds myself. All happened when temps got too high. I just don't buy femmed seeds anymore but have made some using colloidial silver that gave no issues. I think the method of making femmed seeds has a lot to do with it, pointing at the stress method as the culprit. After all if they were made due to stress and you happen to stress your grow it seems to reason you will get more seeds. The seeds you get might just work perfectly in the theoretical stress free grow.

Nope not fem. I've only ever had one or two stains that were fem and I think they were both auto. Both hermed. I hope for no herms, I've found a couple seeds in the plants that are coming down over this next month :(. That'll teach me for getting cheapy seeds. Also I'm thinking I might have a PH issue :hmmmm::trance:

Downsizing?! What? But you have so much light. What are you thinking?

(almost caught up on page 8 now I think)

Hmm, hermies are no bueno. I can see the benefits of regular seeds!

Well maybe downsizing was the wrong word. I want to take up less space, but still have the same ability to grow about the same amount. So my room is 8 ft deep now, and I want to take it to 2-3 ft deep. Then maybe I won't have as bad of heat issues.

Take your time catching up, it's getting kind of long!

I have had some herm issues with femmed seeds myself. All happened when temps got too high. I just don't buy femmed seeds anymore but have made some using colloidial silver that gave no issues. I think the method of making femmed seeds has a lot to do with it, pointing at the stress method as the culprit. After all if they were made due to stress and you happen to stress your grow it seems to reason you will get more seeds. The seeds you get might just work perfectly in the theoretical stress free grow.

Like I said, my temps have been high too, so that may be part of my reason. I'd agree that the method for stressing females probably affects it a lot. Some people us light cycles or temperature cycles, but to me, gal..whatever acid or colloidal silver seem to be easiest on the plant. I created my own femmed seeds as well, but they were from these females, so... they may have a tendency to hermie...

Update (44 days flower, 101 days old):

Flush Day!

Big Hempy is 101 days old! I flushed the girls today and they are looking great! It took me about 10 gallons of tap water (250 PPM) to get my runoff at 290 PPM.

I also raised the light yesterday about 2" as I think the discoloration was partly too much light! The buds are slightly starting to swell, but not much. There's still a bit of new growth too.

7_31_15_8_.jpg

7_31_15_5_.jpg

7_31_15_2_.jpg

7_31_15_1_.jpg

7_31_15_4_.jpg

7_31_15_3_.jpg

Little Hempy is looking great too! Buds have definitely been swelling and growing on her, as well as the seeds! Fortunately it doesn't seem like there are THAT many seeds.

7_31_15_7_.jpg

Don't forget about the clone. She's getting a little big for that single 23w bulb... Not for long.

7_31_15_9_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom