Mono's 2014 Experiment

Mono, great looking setup as always. Since perlite has no water retention capabilities are you concerned about water availability/take up early one when the roots are just developing. Is there a particular reason you did not add vermiculite to your perlite?

Mono, great looking setup as always. Since perlite has no water retention capabilities are you concerned about water availability/take up early one when the roots are just developing. Is there a particular reason you did not add vermiculite to your perlite?

I am very concerned about that to be honest, and am half expecting her to not make it through the night. I am hopping that by keeping the medium as moist as I can keep her alive, might try and rig up a quick drip system until the roots fill the container and are able to absorb the water from the larger container. Another concern I have is oxygen avaliability to the root zone since there will be no pumps etc involved in this system.

The only reason I didn't use vermiculite in the mix is I don't have any to hand. I presume the vermiculite adds some water retention properties to the medium?

I have been looking into using a mini recirculating system, by where a small pump could sit in the large container, pumps water up and it runs through the smaller container back to the larger container, keeping the perlite constantly moist to allow the roots to do their work :)

A look at some of the Sage n Sour buds, had just over two moths cure so far :)

P10109751.JPG
P10109841.JPG
P10109934.JPG
P10109851.JPG
P10109864.JPG
P10109881.JPG

The only reason I didn't use vermiculite in the mix is I don't have any to hand. I presume the vermiculite adds some water retention properties to the medium?

Yes, vermiculite is excellent at water retention, in fact make sure to use more perlite than vermiculite if you do decide to go that route otherwise you can easily waterlog your babies.

Beautiful looking Sage 'n Sour buds you got there Mono!

Yes, vermiculite is excellent at water retention, in fact make sure to use more perlite than vermiculite if you do decide to go that route otherwise you can easily waterlog your babies.

Beautiful looking Sage 'n Sour buds you got there Mono!

I think if 100% perlite does not work, then I may have to look into using some vermiculite into the mix. What do you think - Say 80% perlite to 20% vermiculite or 70% perlite to 30% vermiculite?

Thanks buddy, It's a strain I'm very pleased with, even though it turned out nothing like it was mean too ;)

That sounds about right Mono, I wouldn't go over 30% vermiculite. Another additive you could use would be those polymer wetting agents, the ones that hold 300x their weight in water either alone or with a much reduced % of vermiculite. I would follow package recommendations for the wetting agent to avoid water retention issues.

That sounds about right Mono, I wouldn't go over 30% vermiculite. Another additive you could use would be those polymer wetting agents, the ones that hold 300x their weight in water either alone or with a much reduced % of vermiculite. I would follow package recommendations for the wetting agent to avoid water retention issues.

Thanks for the info there, seems like there are many possibilities for water retention. I think the 100% perlite has the potential to work rather like a NFT hydro set up, so long as I can find a way to keep water and nutrient solution flowing constantly, without the perlite drying out. I guess it may be effective since it's using it's poor water retention to an advantage.

Oh, and thanks for the reps ;)

No problem Mono, you're welcome, they are well deserved. Yeah, I would think that 100% perlite is more akin to Coco Coir and if you can keep the water/oxygen levels at the right levels you should be allright, especially once the plant establishes itself and properly enters the vegetative stage.

Everything seems to be coming along smoothly, all be it a little bit slower than we would have liked. I think the cooler than perfect night time temps may be doing a slowing up. Was super sunny outside today so I was able to sit the little ones out in the sun for most of the day whilst I made some more alterations to the tent.

Got some pics coming up in a mo or two ;)

Hope everyone has been having a great Easter :Namaste:

Things seem to be coming along, slowly and smoothly. Quickly and smoothly would be better though ;) Not a massive amount to report, little ones are begging to grow into their second set of true leaves, hopefully we will make the transition into vegetative growth shortly and see and improvement in the above ground growth.

I will get some more pics up shortly.

A couple of the plants have already been moved into larger pots (approx 5 litres) Using canna terra professional soil with an added hand full of perlite for a slightly airier soil, as soon as the others have a more established root system they will be transplanted too :).

We are still currently aiming at beginning some flowering on the 5th of May, or as close to then as possible :high-five:

:Namaste:

Glad to see you have your girls getting adjusted to some natural sunlight Mono, this will be a great year :Namaste:
Positive vibes your way buddy :surf:

Woo hopefully so, it's back to raining here again but going to get the poly-tunnel up by the end of the week for a little bit of outdoor protection.

It certainly will be a great year CA! The long range forecast is for plenty of sun and nice warm weather here, we shall see if it really materialises. I'm sure with you it's a little more predictable with you on the weather side of things. Super excited to be able to run two indoor tents and an outdoor grow too :).

Stay safe!

Woo hopefully so, it's back to raining here again but going to get the poly-tunnel up by the end of the week for a little bit of outdoor protection.

It certainly will be a great year CA! The long range forecast is for plenty of sun and nice warm weather here, we shall see if it really materialises. I'm sure with you it's a little more predictable with you on the weather side of things. Super excited to be able to run two indoor tents and an outdoor grow too :).

Stay safe!

Looks like we are also receiving a bit of cold/wet weather here today also, temps have been dropping to 45f at night here. Definitely predictable and not too drastic changes, I feel our sacred plant can push through the cold weather with minimal issues :Namaste: I may attempt an indoor session this year, but with temps this year it may not be feasible, it would be a complete struggle trying to keep it under 80f again :laugh: that was not too fun.. I may just keep a veg tent running as I would like to start saving genetics in clone form, although landlord visits may throw a wrench into every plan I have, time will tell as always. Hope to see your sagensour seedling growing with a vengeance! My sprout has kicked its 3 fingered leaf funk and is on it's way to bigger and better things! :Namaste: Until next time brodda :joint: CA

Back
Top Bottom