N420 Grows Barney's Farm Orange Sherbert & Special Guests

I know they're not to everyone's taste but I'm digging those foxtails!
Thanks Shed, I kinda like them too! I’ll be honest I didn’t realize they were fox tails until you mentioned it lol.

Thanks Verb this pic is for you!

EF43C184-BDF8-4D08-8E01-02950B7E4262.jpeg

EF43C184-BDF8-4D08-8E01-02950B7E4262.jpeg

• N420
  • Tuesday at 6:39 AM

Your right these plants have put out some massive leaves, as a perspective I’m 6 foot 2, 220 lbs so I’m not a small guy!

I’ll be honest, I have no idea lol.
Not sure, but the K number of the N P K of my nutes is pretty high.

I use Flora Flex Nutrients, it’s a 4 part powered nutrient line The NPK breaks down as follows

B1 14-0-22

B2 0-28-18

Bulky B 0-14-43

You run these for the majority of flower B1 and B2 are added in equal parts, Bulky B is normally a gram or 2 higher based on what week of flower it is.

The last 2 weeks you run Full Tilt 0-47-35
By itself.

The percentage of K in each part are as follows

B1 22%
B2 18%
Bulky B 43%
Full Tilt 35%

Sounds interesting Verb! Feel free to send me a Pm and I’ll try my best to help you out.
Hey Mr. N
Been little busy lately so haven't sent you the PM yet. I've gathered some info regarding the light and plant response tho.

Jeeez those fans are massive. :cool: And yeah you've got pretty K heavy feed. Ca & K (and Mg) they seem to require much larger quantities as the plant is 'forced' to transpire lot more. Actually feels like most of the light turns into waste/heat on the leaf surface even tho tent temp isn't raising. But yeah I'll PM you about this, hopefully during this week and I'll post it later on my journo when getting it ready.

One more question - As you didn't know your exact ppms, so what kind of dose CalMag you feed? Or some of your bottle(s) which is providing Ca source. K:Ca ratio might be way different than the "general recommend" 4:winkyface:1 K:Ca:Mg.

Thanks and have a nice day
Verb

Ca & K (and Mg) they seem to require much larger quantities as the plant is 'forced' to transpire lot more. Actually feels like most of the light turns into waste/heat on the leaf surface even tho tent temp isn't raising.
Thanks Verb! That makes a lot of sense and I actually think that’s what caused the yellowing on the upper most leaves on the tallest plant in the tent. It was positioned directly under the 4 panel light and even though my temps in the tent were within the correct range and the Ppfd was actually lower then I would normally like to run it she was not happy. After raising the light as high as I could and actually bumping up the light intensity up the yellowing stopped which leads me to believe the leaf surface temp was to high and that’s what caused her to yellow.
One more question - As you didn't know your exact ppms, so what kind of dose CalMag you feed? Or some of your bottle(s) which is providing Ca source. K:Ca ratio might be way different than the "general recommend" 4:winkyface:1 K:Ca:Mg.
I don’t add an additional Cal Mag supplement they get their Calcium and Magnesium from the base nutes I use and the Pk booster

( Base)
B1 has 7% Calcium

B2 has 7% Magnesium

( Booster)
Bulky B has 1 % Magnesium.

Planet of the Grapes Day 57

Wanted to start off by wishing all my 420 dad’s a happy Father’s Day!

Alright on too the plants, harvest is just around the corner for these plants, The plants are fading now and have some very pretty dark purple leaves near the tops and the green lower down is slowly fading away to yellow.
A lot of the pistils have gone orange now and have retracted into the buds.

The buds are quite dense, even the small stuff near the bottom of the plant that I never got around to removing, should make for a nice yield but we shall see.

This is when I would like to be checking the trichomes, I have a clip on macro lens for my phone but have a really hard time getting a clear shot of the trichomes, I thought maybe ordering a tripod attachment for holding the phone might work better or maybe one of those usb microscope’s. My one thought with the microscope is looking at them they look hard to hold steady as well to get a clear shot so not sure what I should do.

Happy Growing Everyone!

Happy Father’s Day N!! I hope you get spoiled today. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Those buds look dense af. It’s gonna be a great harvest. 100% get a tripod. I’ve bought both and my kids now play with the usb microscope. Unless you take a bud piece off, it’s so difficult to get clear pics. They’ve come out with some cool tripods now too, with all these kids who want to be insta-famous, the market has changed. I’m surprised GDB doesn’t have one in his line already. :laughtwo:

Hope you have a great day N, and congrats on the upcoming harvest! It’s right around the corner, my friend.

Happy Father’s Day N!! I hope you get spoiled today. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Those buds look dense af. It’s gonna be a great harvest. 100% get a tripod. I’ve bought both and my kids now play with the usb microscope. Unless you take a bud piece off, it’s so difficult to get clear pics. They’ve come out with some cool tripods now too, with all these kids who want to be insta-famous, the market has changed. I’m surprised GDB doesn’t have one in his line already. :laughtwo:

Hope you have a great day N, and congrats on the upcoming harvest! It’s right around the corner, my friend.
Thanks Hh! I hope Mr. H has a great Father’s Day as well!

You sold me I’ll look into a tripod attachment for my phone, I have a tripod already just gotta find a bracket that will fit.
It does look like the clip on macro lens I have won’t work with my phone unfortunately:rolleyes: I bought it when I had a Samsung phone that had one lens ,the I phone I have now has 2 lenses and the clip on macro will only cover 1!

Looking forward to having theses plants down and in jars we are scraping the bottom of the barrel for buds right now so will be nice to have a fresh supply!

Thanks N, he did have a good one. :) I hear you about the clip on lens, I just realized I’m going to have the same issue. I still have my old phone, maybe I’ll just continue to use that for trichs?
Happy to hear he had a good day!

After reading your post you have given me a good idea! I think I’ll use Mrs. N’s old phone to take my trich pics it should fit my macro lens it’s the same phone I had. I would use mine but I smashed it, can’t seem to get a phone to make it all the way through a 2 year contract lol.

Thanks Shed! And thanks for the suggestion to try a tester, didn’t occur to me that the fox tails would show clear a lot longer then the rest of the buds but is does make sense because it’s like new buds being grown on top of the original ones!

I could just see it now if I didn’t do a tester…Day 256 still no ambers lol.

Planet of the Grapes Day 57

Wanted to start off by wishing all my 420 dad’s a happy Father’s Day!

Alright on too the plants, harvest is just around the corner for these plants, The plants are fading now and have some very pretty dark purple leaves near the tops and the green lower down is slowly fading away to yellow.
A lot of the pistils have gone orange now and have retracted into the buds.

The buds are quite dense, even the small stuff near the bottom of the plant that I never got around to removing, should make for a nice yield but we shall see.

This is when I would like to be checking the trichomes, I have a clip on macro lens for my phone but have a really hard time getting a clear shot of the trichomes, I thought maybe ordering a tripod attachment for holding the phone might work better or maybe one of those usb microscope’s. My one thought with the microscope is looking at them they look hard to hold steady as well to get a clear shot so not sure what I should do.

Happy Growing Everyone!
So phat and little foxy! Wont be hard to tell that theyre under a quality light ;)

Looking so great :thumb:
V

They're looking great N, but if I were you I'd be taking a tester off to see when they're done along with the trichome check. With foxtails you will always be seeing a lot of clear trichs so a tester will give you a much better idea of how it's going to hit after cure (ignoring the harsh/green taste).
Hi Shed and Heavenly
Is there any science/source behind?

I couldn't come up with anything else than if buds starts to get little foxy -> New calyxes growing due the stress and therefore trichs also stay clear and-or cloudy.

Reason for asking because one of my Glues starting to fade/yellow really quick and her trichs are still mostly a mix of cloudy and clear ones. Not the most typical foxtails at the tip, more likely eruptions all over the buds.

V

Is there any science/source behind?
It's not science so much as observing the maturation process. New growth on foxtails have new trichomes, which are necessarily clear. There's no reason (nor have I seen it happen) that those trichomes would mature any faster than the ones on the original bracts, so the maturation clock starts anew with each one. The original trichomes could be completely amber before you get to mostly cloudy on the new ones.
Reason for asking because one of my Glues starting to fade/yellow really quick and her trichs are still mostly a mix of cloudy and clear ones. Not the most typical foxtails at the tip, more likely eruptions all over the buds.
Any new trichs will take time to mature wherever they grow, so harvest timing becomes a balance between old and new. That's what makes testers helpful. Double H might have decided to wait another week or more on the foxtail plant to attenuate some of that raciness she ended up with.

So phat and little foxy! Wont be hard to tell that theyre under a quality light ;)

Looking so great :thumb:
V
Thanks for the kind words Verb, appreciate it!

Shed’s right about those foxtails. The clears give it a hint of racy too, at least in my experience (once). :D
Thanks Hh. A bit of racy that should be fun!
More reasons for testers
Sounds like a tough job but I think I’m up for it lol
It's not science so much as observing the maturation process. New growth on foxtails have new trichomes, which are necessarily clear. There's no reason (nor have I seen it happen) that those trichomes would mature any faster than the ones on the original bracts, so the maturation clock starts anew with each one. The original trichomes could be completely amber before you get to mostly cloudy on the new ones.

Any new trichs will take time to mature wherever they grow, so harvest timing becomes a balance between old and new. That's what makes testers helpful. Double H might have decided to wait another week or more on the foxtail plant to attenuate some of that raciness she ended up with.
Great reply Shed thank you!

Where is the best place to take my tester from? I was thinking lower on the plant because it will probably be a bit easier to dry the lower stuff as it’s a bit less dense then the stuff closer to the top, but thinking the lowers will also mature slower.

Where is the best place to take my tester from? I was thinking lower on the plant because it will probably be a bit easier to dry the lower stuff as it’s a bit less dense then the stuff closer to the top, but thinking the lowers will also mature slower.
It's best to grab one that represents most of them, so you will get a better idea of how the whole plant hits. Lower ones are often less far along.

And it's easy to flash-dry a bud using a tin foil canoe sitting on top of the toaster slot (it dries really fast this way so don't even turn your back). It won't taste good, but once you're done coughing you'll know what the bud can do.

It's best to grab one that represents most of them, so you will get a better idea of how the whole plant hits. Lower ones are often less far along.

And it's easy to flash-dry a bud using a tin foil canoe sitting on top of the toaster slot (it dries really fast this way so don't even turn your back). It won't taste good, but once you're done coughing you'll know what the bud can do.
Thanks Shed, I’ll take one of the smaller buds near the top that should be a good representative of the majority of them.

I see a tin foil boat in my near future!

New growth on foxtails have new trichomes, which are necessarily clear.
Yeah thats basicly what I was implying. New calyxes -> new(clear) trichs.
Okay got that. Dimmed my lights down and lowered temps for a bit yday so hopefully it wont grow much more tails.

And it's easy to flash-dry a bud using a tin foil canoe sitting on top of the toaster slot (it dries really fast this way so don't even turn your back).
Hah thanks! This could be esier way to quick dry the samples. Lol I've been setting a blow dryer to the distance to blow ~40-50C on the samples :cheesygrinsmiley:

A bit of racy that should be fun!
Ha! You know how it effects everyone differently - this makes me think of a time I was riding with my MIL (a speed demon) down a winding forest- downhill road. She’s laughing and says “ooo, this is fun” and I nervously quivered (while white knuckling the handgrip) “is it?” Lmao, I guess I’m just the slow turtle type, for driving and weed! :laughtwo:
Dimmed my lights down and lowered temps for a bit yday so hopefully it wont grow much more tails.
I hope that helps you out. Sometimes it can stress related and sometimes it’s genetic. If it’s genetic, the best you can do is let it go til it stops drinking. But even then, it’ll still have those un-ripened tips. Maybe you’re like N and enjoy some racy?

Back
Top Bottom