New City Grower 2.0

Sorry I haven't been here too much lately, but was wondering why you said the roots on that Wild Thai was not healthy. The roots are white and firm and have no signs of rot or insect damage. They look healthy to me. What was wrong, in your opinion?
They're scraggly & thin compared to the other plant roots I've seen when I trash a plant, which is why I think she had stopped drinking. If you or anyone else thinks there's another reason why a plant sits for two weeks after watering & still be damp I'm more than open to hear your opinions.

My outie has like over 50 buds on it and is at least 8 feet tall. I never grow an outie before. I wonder when to chop it. Probably another few weeks before first frost. should I do the deed now?

jaamz the only thing I have been doing for the outies is the same thing I do for the inies.... I check trichs.... The 1 I still have outside is all cloudy but am waiting on the ambers to chop. I am not normally an outside grower but I don't know of any other way to check it. The outside growers around this part of the country all chop end of Oct to second week of Nov. They call Oct. Choptober here but figured the trich thing would work too.....:circle-of-love:

Jam, Fifi's reasoning sounds concrete. You can post an update of her here to give us all a looksey & between Bill & Lester; who are both great outdoorsmen & followers of this thread, You'll be put into good hands.

Checking my PMs now Fifi...

Was it one of the plants you moved in and out from the fire escape, by any possibility?

The changes from natural to artificial light can cause the plant to stop taking up water. Was the plant wilting or anything like that? Even though it's cannabis, different plants will use different levels of water or any other thing for that matter.

None of the plants I recently pulled out of the ground or containers outside had giant root systems on them. When I first saw that I immediately thought I messed the roots up a bit when I messed with the photo period by putting them out too soon. None of my plants had problems taking up water or nutrients, but the roots were definitely not as large as I expected them to be.

If your plants were wilting and still had wet or moist soil, I'd say for sure there was a problem with the roots, but they would also be unhealthy looking if that was the problem. Of course, this is all from 2,000 miles away, so take it on that condition.

Nope Brooklyn, she was raised entirely on artificial light. As a matter of fact KERALA X SKUNK was the one I brought in from the Fire Escape and she drinks like a fish. The WILD THAILAND which was just harvested wasn't wilting or anything. She just stopped drinking & growing. I hope I didn't make a tragic mistake by not re-vegging her a second time. She produces good weed. I still have 1 bean left of Wild Thai.

And Fifi, CARAMELA has arrived. She had trouble getting started but I think she's going to make it...

IMG_20140906_3_.jpg

IMG_20140918_2_.jpg

Babies are so cool. They look up at you and have no clue what just happened. BAR bends over and whispered sweet nothings into there leaf and behold :yummy::green_heart::rollit:

thanx everyone for the advice. the weather here in ny has felt like frost threat, but it looks like it will pass.

Cannabis does not like it much colder than about 50 for any sustained period. They won't die, but at about 48 degrees they can suffer cell damage.

Reg, not sure what happened. If it was the reveg, I wonder if maybe the second time the plant didn't have enough energy to produce more roots for the second revolution on that plant. If it wasn't wilting, the roots were taking up water. Because of where it grows naturally, it may be drought tolerant and not need as much water as other strains.

Anyway, your grows are beautiful, so...keep doing whatever your are doing.

Reg, not sure what happened. If it was the reveg, I wonder if maybe the second time the plant didn't have enough energy to produce more roots for the second revolution on that plant.
That makes sense to me. If that's the case with some re-vegies, how would you go about giving them a jump start? Feeding MYCOs to the soil when it starts to re-veg?

Anyway, your grows are beautiful, so...keep doing whatever your are doing.
Thank you so much BKLYN. I know I'm improving but I still have mountains to climb before I'm satisfied with my grows.

The information kids have that we didn't have is incredible to me. Scary on one hand, but so amazing on the other.

Next reveg I would say to leave more foliage on the plant after you harvest. The way roots develop is a combination of things, but number ONE is how the plant photosynthesizes. It needs foliage to do that and if you only leave sugar leaves or some buds with small leaves. Maybe even leave an entire cola removing only the buds, but leaving the fans and sugars if you can. It will recover much faster and it will not stop any uptake in the soil if your plants are photosynthesizing. It can't hurt to try.

I have plenty of science, but plants don't read and growing cannabis inside is not natural and we manipulate the plant further, so I'm reading a lot now about just growing without any physical manipulation at all. I know our goal is to harvest as much as possible in a small space when indoors. I'm also saying this with the knowledge of my own stash at this point, which is plenty enough for a good long time, so I'm comfortable. If I was in a dither to get a grow to produce as much as possible and fast because I was running out, whole other story! I'd be freaking out.

Lastly, if you leave more foliage on, wait a few weeks, then transplant the plant into fresh soil, into a pot one inch larger than you have the plant in when you chop, it will also encourage roots to seek nutrients in the fresh soil. If you use Step One Growology in that soil the mycos will be there, but you don't have to use more mycos. Once they are in the soil, they are in there. Unless you use synthetic salty fertilizers like MG or any number of urea products or inorganic types of N, the mycos can suffer greatly by going away fast. This is the number one reason I am organic. Any other method simply kills the biota in the soil. It recovers eventually, but in containers they do not.

Just got in & we have our first 2.0 issue. I believe all the lights in my original tent which is now my Veg tent is what keeps temperatures between 75 & 83 F. I came home and the new Bloom tent was at 68 F. That's around the temps I usually have at lights on. The LED doesn't put out as much heat. How should I go about raising the heat in the Bloom tent and is it necessary?

i like reading your journrnals 420 site really great the journal we will start soon but learning more first

IMG_20140225_172105.jpg

hi not sure what happenning

And just so I can say I have some LED bud pics...

LAVERNE (Re-Veg)

IMG_20140225_172121.jpg

IMG_20140225_172131.jpg

STACK A. DOLLAR (Delicious cotton Candy)

IMG_20140225_172144.jpg

cant send my message say too short but i type lots

You can put one small cfl in there on one of those shop light thingies to raise the temps to around 80. They many appreciate the cool nights in the closet or tents, but during the lights on, it should be warmer. I found most plants are like this when they are in growing stage.

The buds look magnificent my friend!

Back
Top Bottom