Newto 1st Grow - Bag Seed - 2 Plants - 2015

Newto

I want to start off by saying welcome to my 1st ever grow. I would like to start off by saying i am not a professional at all and this is all new to me. I am not going for a massive yield, but the experience.

Any tips and comments are welcome. :cheer:

Why did i decide to grow? I just wanted to see if i could do it.

Grow set up:
Light - 150w 2700k CFL (Going to be upgrading to 2 once i find a splitter) in a reflective hanging dome
Location - Corner of my office in a box (with airflow) ( i know it is not "Prime", but its what i have haha)
Pots - 4.5 inch pots
Grow Medium: Container mix From Dollar General
Watering - Distilled every other day (as needed)

Start of my adventure:

First 2 weeks
Germination: I had approx 5 seeds that i germinated from water cup, paper towel method. Took the best 4 (due to space) and just 1 survived the transplant. ( had a few 1st time mistakes, but hey im human :thumb: )
aprox 4 days later i got the 2nd girl to bloom up and start her life.

I started these girls in Jiffy quick soil mix, They started their life in red solo cups and it has been slow. I posted a post in the grow area and it was whent hey where about 12 and 8 days old asking about the growth. Since then i changed from a tiny 64 CFL (i think) to the 150w i currently using. I found out that the 2700k is for flowering ( or best for it) and 6k is better for veg. So i am currently on the hunt at my local stores for a 6k cfl and hopefully the twins will enjoy it. After the switch to 150w i switched to the bigger pots with the current medium of container mix. I was very skeptical of using it due to dollar general but the twins are loving the mix.

Jane @ 8 days:
8days2.jpg

Jasmin @ day 12:
Jasmin12Days.jpg

Many Pictures and updates to come.

Generally when you find seeds in your MJ it's due to either a sneaky male the grower didn't notice or the plant hermied. Some people say this gives you fem seed but my first grow was bag seed and 7 out of 7 were hermies. No light leaks or anything that caused it other than shitty DNA in the seeds.

Subbed

hermie will hermie when the mother hermied
late bloom hermie is just trying to protect its genetics and when I say late bloom its usually past the harvest date
those types of hermies you can grow to finish and get non hermie until such time as when the mother hermied which would be late bloom
but other than that if it hermies early it will hermie the same time on every seed from that plant

I think i got what you guys are saying.

Now for the update. Since the transplant to their final home (due to space) they are adapting well. Currently today Jane just turned 2 weeks old and she is looking great. I noticed she is not far behind her sister. she is just showing her 3rd set of leaves.

jane_at_14_days.jpg
jane_14_days.jpg

Now for jasmin she is finally starting to pick up. Her first 4 days if i remember where under the very small cfl. She definitely loves the new bulb. Her 3rd set of leaves are almost fully in, however not much of a vertical grow.

jasminat18.jpg
jasmin18.jpg

For being just inside a cardboard box, i cant be pleased enough. I honestly didnt think i would have gotten this far to start. so its a win in my experience.

I do got a few questions though. About the vertical growth is this normal? or should their be more of a stretch? i have the light sitting aprox 6-8 inches above the girls. i was thinking it was too close but i wanted to ask 1st.

I have also done a few new things to the area. they are no longer in the corner of the room. I moved them to the closet, just incase the parents or any visitors come over. Also found a y-splitter from a local hardware store finally. However, i cannot seem to find a 6500k cfl anywhere around me. Walmart, Kmart, Small hardware stores, even some of the big ones that are close. Any ideas where i can find them. I would love to have 2 6500k lights rather than 2 2700k.

Here is the new lights
20150314_194824.jpg

And her set up
20150314_194813.jpg

So what are my next plans? I want to get the 6500k bulbs. If not, im not worried. However i saw a cheap 20$ cardboard grow box set up that i like and falls into budget. Basically its 2 boxes stacked on top with a emergency blanket (mylar) on the inside. I then was thinking of rigging 1 or 2 computer fans up to a 9v battery to get movement on them.

Opinions and suggestions are always welcome.

I have clones under a 125W CFL bulb that is 4 inches above the tops, you could go a little closer and get more light and get a little faster growth. CFL's don't give off as much heat as an HID, so you can put them relatively close but no less then 2 inches above the tops. good rule of thumb is to stick your hand under the light at where your tops are and if its to hot for your hand to be under its to hot for the plants so you'd need t raise the light. hope this helps.

I have clones under a 125W CFL bulb that is 4 inches above the tops, you could go a little closer and get more light and get a little faster growth. CFL's don't give off as much heat as an HID, so you can put them relatively close but no less then 2 inches above the tops. good rule of thumb is to stick your hand under the light at where your tops are and if its to hot for your hand to be under its to hot for the plants so you'd need t raise the light. hope this helps.

Yes thank yoiu and they are not too hot for me. i did however pick up a nother 150watt today so more light=more bud :)

if you want the plants to stretch raise the light a bit

Gotcha. i dont want to big. like 2ft max. is that too small? i have seen pc grows that have a great amount. granted they have better equipment. but i have a little more room than a pc box.

They look great! I am also a beginner and by no means an expert, but I just wanted to tell you not to worry too much about the slow growth (especially vertical) as they might have a growth spurt coming soon! Mine were very short and the same size for a while and I was getting worried, but then they suddenly shot up and began growing like crazy :allgood:
They look very healthy (to me, at least!) so hopefully your growth spurt comes soon :morenutes: !

Happy growing - I'm subbed :rollit:

They look great! I am also a beginner and by no means an expert, but I just wanted to tell you not to worry too much about the slow growth (especially vertical) as they might have a growth spurt coming soon! Mine were very short and the same size for a while and I was getting worried, but then they suddenly shot up and began growing like crazy :allgood:
They look very healthy (to me, at least!) so hopefully your growth spurt comes soon :morenutes: !

Happy growing - I'm subbed :rollit:

This makes me a little more relaxed haha. thank you. alot of people been saying that they are not growing much due to the roots still developing. :) i hope so. Thanks for subb. im going to be building my grow box tonight so maybe a nice update tomorow.

I found a 4 pack at Home Depot. Phillips 13w(60w) 6500k. It's a smaller size cfl bulb but that might not be a bad thing, keep the heat down.

sweet thank you. i think the closest one to me is aprox 1.5h away. maybe i will have to take a ride

So here we are on day 20/16 and these girls are making me so excited. Last night i decided to build them a new home. its all complete except for circulation which im finishing today.

So lets start off with their new home. It costed me approx 16$ which fit directly in budget. Basic 2 box's with a survival blanket glued to the inside.

DSCN01927.JPG
DSCN019011.JPG
DSCN01898.JPG
DSCN01839.JPG
DSCN01857.JPG
DSCN01868.JPG

The light they receive from the new home and bulb has doubled. i checked them today and wow they are PERRRKY!

Now for the update on the Jasmin and Jane..

They both have their 3 leafs and growing at approx the same rate now. Jasmin is a little further due to being 4 days old, however i think the crappy light to start kinda set her back.

Jasmin
jasmin_day_20_1_.JPG

Jane
jane_day_161.JPG

now the 1 question i got today is the lowest set of leaves (the single ones) are dropping some. Should i worry or not.

What is the temp and RH? I would not be overly concerned about the droop, although the soil does look pretty wet. The light looks to be about 18" away...as a guess. Might want to get it a bit closer, 10"-15" away.

i just got done watering them at that time. the light has been lowered to around 10 inches. it was high just for picture sake. I have to get a temp gauge. any suggestions? remember i have very little cash resources.

also they seemed to purk up a little since this morning. today was their 1st day in the new setup. so they seem to be enjoying life.

Back
Top Bottom