RuneWulfSong's Summer/Autumn Multi-Strain Grow

Either way, it's all glowy and cool looking and I can't believe the difference in how much less heat than the CFLs, more less the HID, wow... can't wait to see how the girls like it. I'm thinking about transplanting my mutant sleeskunk twins tonight and dropping them in as well.

Wow on to the next level of lighting. Very nice rune. Look out I see the buds getting bigger already. Very cool

I hope so, lol... The glow is cool, but I'm forcing myself to pretty much not mess with it too much until the 4x4 tent's lights come on... just in case of leaks...the LED is bright, but it does seem to keep most of the intensity focused under it without as much ambient bleedoff to the sides, at least compared to other lights, which is cool, but it is intense, to say the least ;)

I have a pair of sunglasses on the top of my tent to combat the brightness. The focus on LED is one of the reasons they kick ass IMO. Much less wasted light. And the lack of heat is just amazing. It has less heat then my fluorescent tubes did.

I love technology!

Drive bye. Hey cool score on the LED. LED's have come along ways adding the tricolor. I'd love to do a side by side myself to see if they came up since last time I did one. Afew years back me and a grow buddy grew out some with LEDs. This was before they even had
tri-colors. My dawg had of them UFO 90 watter. Back when all the rave was NASA used it. But they grew some easy lettuces or something. Wasn't any comparison to product. Plants got leggy with long spaces between nodes, and flowers didn't 'harden' up near the HID's did. Like I said I know they've gotten ALOT better. And I've seen some great results on here with them, myself I'm a 'Old Dog'. It will take a side by side in my closet to sell me. That will make this journal pretty interesting for me. Them lights last forever, low heat, and cost effective. Bout the only downside is startup costs. Least by the books. Hey GL and I'll sure be back. Rep's, whatever they are good for but.............. Keepem Green

Thanks guys... the LED is on sale through our Sponsor. I paid $200 for the unit. It would take 2 of them for peak coverage in a 4x4, but so far it seems solid. It'll be interesting to see how it does with some smaller plants to start with, then with a few big ones next time around. I think I'll end up taking some clones in the next month or so, letting a couple veg until they're about 2ft tall, then putting one in HPS and the other in LED for flower at the same time to see how they do. It'd be a good comparison that way.

I did notice that the seedlings almost seemed heat/light stressed last night, but they look better this morning after their "sleep" period. It's interesting that while the LED puts off less heat then the HPS, the fluros or the CFLs, the actual light intensity that you feel on your skin after being under it for a couple minutes is stronger than the other lights.

Wood, thanks for the reps and I totally agree with the LED stuff. I saw some early LED cannabis grow videos and except for the SoG and ScroG grows, like you said, airy and leggy. That said, when I watched 3w grows after those came out, fruit, veggie and cannabis, folks were having a lot better success. Deciding factor for me was watching this vocational school in canada experimenting with them and they outproduced all other light options in most plants they tested. It more than doubled HPS on tomatos in both time to completion and actual harvest volume. But you're right, the startup costs are painful. I could be running 2 600w - 1000w HPS for the same cost as 2 of these 96 x 3w panels, but if they work, I'll take 5 years on bulbs or better, 1/5 or better the electric costs and almost no extra heat (especially comparing to other lights). I'll take that route any day as long as they produce. The next couple grows will show how they do for sure :)

$200 wow that seems fantastic for that panal. I so hope it is as good as is promised.
Maybe the stress u seen last night was through the extra intensity of the light... The deep penetration they are getting
Off the new panal maybe a lot more than they were used too. It looks fantastic. If u get good results with this panal then "me" the pesemistic one.... Will be in line to order the panal uv bought. Dam that's super cheap

Yeah, I'm thinking light stress. I've noticed it in most of the LED grows I've seen, especially if vegged/germed under a different light and mine were all vegged/cloned under CFL, 4 bulbs at I think 42 and 56w each, but yeah, they all seem recovered after their dark period. I've still got a couple of leaves that are curling down a bit at the edges, but those were the Mystery Machines that started as the window lickers, then moved under CFL for a week and a half, just got their first defoliation and on top of that, I supercropped them, lol. They're all recovering though, which is a good thing ;)

Happy Sativaday Rune.
maybe with the LED your girls got a little shock like taking a indoor plant out in to the full sun for the first time.
Dang that seems like a super deal on that light.

Morning rune and Happy Sativaday to ya. that is a great deal on the LED light. :thumb:

Thanks guys, happy Sativaday to you both as well ;) and yeah, the light was a good deal and seems to be working well. And yeah, I think a couple of the younger clones got a bit shocky due to light intensity, but all except one are already recovered as of a few minutes ago and the last one looks to be recovering. The seedlings all seemed to be good after their first 4 hour nap (right now I'm having to turn the LED off and on manually as I am out of grounded timers, so only 4 hours dark a day for now).

I'll be picking up a few more LEDs between now and Dec as well. Long term goal is all LED, short term is to fill out my grow space so I don't have to spend a lot of $$ on dispensaries. Once our lease is up and we've moved, then I'll decide if I pack away the HPS permanantly, move it to the greenhouse we want to get, or keep it running alongside the LEDs. I also plan on building a couple of "breeding chambers" as well, but will probably put that off until we've moved as well.

:Namaste:

Hey Runewulfsong! Your LED grow is going great. :thumb:
The model LED light that you have is supposed to cover 9.7 sq. ft. Do you think that holds true now that you have it and have put it to use? Also, what do you feel about the electricity used by the unit? Much lower than what you have been using in the past, about the same? I really want to try these soon and I would like to read actual users opinions. :)

Hey Runewulfsong! Your LED grow is going great. :thumb:
The model LED light that you have is supposed to cover 9.7 sq. ft. Do you think that holds true now that you have it and have put it to use? Also, what do you feel about the electricity used by the unit? Much lower than what you have been using in the past, about the same? I really want to try these soon and I would like to read actual users opinions. :)

Thanks Cannafan... the closet I have it in right now is 4ft x 20in and it's handling that just fine. I have no doubt that 2 of these units can cover a 4ft x 4ft space just fine and possibly even a 5x5 space. The proof will be when I throw things into flower, which should be in about 3 or 4 weeks, depending on how these kidlings veg. I plan on the closet being more SOG than big bush, just to test the LED and to allow me to harvest roughly every month or so. We will be adding one more grow space in Oct-ish, probably 2'x4' and it will be running the same LED. Right now I also have a couple of seedlings in there to see how the seedling veg growth is compared to under 4 CFL bulbs and honestly, I already see a significant difference. One of my seedlings got it's growth tip damages right after the first set of true leaves, I finally just topped it after a few days... in CFL, it was struggling to shoot the new branches, 2 days in LED and the branches are out and growing, so I approve of that.

Electricity wise, there's no comparison. To adequately light with HID, I'd either need a 400w with a good reflector and bigger exhaust fan or I'd need 2 x 250w units and again strong fan. I don't think I could cram enough HO Fluro's in there to come close to the LEDs and the heat and elec would be horrible, same with CFL. I could throw about 4 250w CFLs in there, but they still wouldn't penetrate like the LED does and the heat, again would be horrible. I had that going last time with 12 CFL bulbs between 36w and 54w, about 400w usage combined.

As I already started mentioning, the heat is negligible with these units. The other thing is the units are also built so that if an LED does fail, it doesn't take out any other LEDs on the system. TopLED also provides a long, solid warranty. So far, I'm extremely pleased and would recommend them to others.

I hope this helps, keep watching and you'll see how it performs through this grow ;)
:Namaste:

Thanks Canna, will do... if you have any other questions, let me know...

Crawdaddy, I totally agree... especially as the prices keep coming down. This unit is 96x3w and it's more than adueqate. I could run a market garden style microfarm using those lights on less than $100 p/month electricity and as the tech continues to evolve, well who knows? I think once pretty much everything is up to this grade of quality, less people will shy away because of bad experiences with inferior products. I look at it this way, in 18 months, the extra cost of the unit is made up for in electric savings and no bulb replacements, which means over the LEDs 5year or better life, I'll have actually saved it's cost several times over, so it's a good investment as long as it performs, which so far, it's doing well :) :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom