Votes: 32 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Founder
We would like to create a way for members seeking help, to determine if they're being given good, experienced and credible advice or not.

The reputation score would not be based on how many questions were answered by each member, but how many of them were marked as good answers from their peers. We could set it up in certain forums that are based on questions and answers like our Frequently Asked Questions forum, and leave things like Grow Journals out of it, so it doesn't get caught up in the "popularity contest" mindset. We obviously don't want to contribute to that ideology, nor do we want to make the beginner level growers feel bad because they have lesser reputations than others. However, we've got to come up with some kind of solution to ensure everyone feels comfortable with the advice they're given and to try to put an end to people spreading bad advice without being certain. Some people honestly share misinformation, often thinking their bad advice is good. Then there are those with ulterior motives who just want to destroy someone's grow. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. So we feel that something stronger than the honor system could help here.

Like everything, it would be monitored to ensure nobody is abusing the system, and as always we can investigate any debauchery once reported. For instance, if someone had it out for another and constantly voted against their answers with malice, weed be able to see this clearly and have the rest of the community to see it and call them out, report them, etc.

This way when people seek help, they can determine if they want to take advice from someone with a lower reputation than someone with a higher reputation, or not. It’s almost like a review system that Etsy and eBay use to tell if a seller is credible or not before buying. Bad advice can cause thousands of dollars in damage, waste of valuable time and energy, and can block someone from getting their meds. Furthermore, it could upset someone so bad that they give up growing all together and never return to us. In that situation, we would have failed them terribly.

We created this platform to bring people together, teach them how to grow and heal themselves, and to improve their quality of life. This is our mission and we need to do everything in our power to ensure this remains unchanged.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to keep the people who only socialize in grow journals, to not feel insecure about having a lower reputation score.

What are your thoughts?

This would turn into negative rep, hiding posts that don't deserve to be hidden. Pros beating up newbs, the opposite of your goal.
Weaponizing participation.
See that problem all the time

This would turn into negative rep, hiding posts that don't deserve to be hidden. Pros beating up newbs, the opposite of your goal.
Weaponizing participation.
Agreed.. This discourages freedom of thought and expression. It’s ripe for abuse just like every other “authority” in existence and will most definitely lead to conflict.

I think... It's better to know if your getting quality Information. Everyone assumes they know everything these days. Regardless.. It would be nice to know if a veteran or newb is getting or giving quality advice. Maybe it would be a way to educate both old and new members. There will always be disagreements, it's what you learn from them that matters!

I like the existing process.

Maybe you can give members that hand out good advice , some type of star or symbol next to the name instead? InTheShed just helped me correct an issue in frequently asked questions and I posted back In it with a photo of the issue resolved . Proving the advice solved the issue. No one is perfect and mistakes on advice can be made but it might help new members gain confidence with advice .... Kinda like when your at a restaurant and the got the thumbs up next to certain meals ..... This way there is no score system.

I think it’s good providing it isn’t abused in ways that the first post had mentioned regardless of rep keep the post up in a order that we use now to avoid fights and temper tantrums another idea is acknowledging years on the forum or time on the forum with maybe a number on indicating completed journals or the area where they help the most (pest etc.) provably not a good idea or I’m misreading but it’s another option.

We had a rep function before the system upgrade and I didn't know about any issues with people gaming it. But I'm one of those posters who rarely leave the grow journals, so all we were doing was complimenting each other for especially great posts, not necessarily being rated for how helpful we were.

Dunno. Until Mudballs pointed out the problems, I was all for it.

:hmmmm:

Finding the solution is presently a group effort quite often, so how can you award a star or anything to that? Awarding stars can be abused – anyone can give anyone a star.

Finding the solution is presently a group effort quite often, so how can you award a star or anything to that? Awarding stars can be abused – anyone can give anyone a star.
I ment 420 can give them a star next to there name if they are known for giving good advice , we can't give a star to one another that would be no different then receiving a "like"

You should never blindly follow advice.

All my best grow advice came from 420 and most from a solid few, but no matter how solid, I still science everything because the best advice in the world that may be 100% correct, could be intended for coco but the newb asking is in soil , so excellent advice may not work for you.

We learn from our mistakes. If bad advice burns you then you learn 2 things not 1.

Dont try that again, and more importantly, test it before you commit, or at least research it.

That would give a great grower a bad review because the question wasn't asked properly.

The number one reason that I see for failed grows is mixing styles.

I am against it unless those things can be checked 1st to put responsibility on the grower, not the assister.

Idk. This hard one.. now I think about it. Even if people do get a star. Or something. I wouldn't want one.. cause. You never know the whole story..

People get scared and pour crap to it.
Then ask someone what's wrong.
Then pour more crap to it
. Then you have two problems.

Calmag is best example. Ask them how much calcium is in their water.. before adding calmag. Or do they just need magnesium. Cause plants lock up for calcium .

Set this place aflame instantly lol
Of course. We all see bad advice to people. Why I keep my mouth shut. Only if a person directly ask me. I want say. . But I'm old school grower.

If 420 wants to read what everyone is posting, and find certain individuals who are better at certain things, and then with those individuals permissions assign them to categories I am all in.

Like Krissi on droughting for example. Assign her as a Droughting advisor.

Then let the one with the question decide who is best to ask on the needed topic.

Idk. This hard one.. now I think about it. Even if people do get a star. Or something. I wouldn't want one.. cause. You never know the whole story..

People get scared and pour crap to it.
Then ask someone what's wrong.
Then pour more crap to it
. Then you have two problems.

Calmag is best example. Ask them how much calcium is in their water.. before adding calmag. Or do they just need magnesium. Cause plants lock up for calcium .
Exactly. If you think you have a calcium problem go to the 420 Calcium Advisor, not a person who has a star because they really understand curing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom