• Yes

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all fine and dandy, until someone gets bad advice and ruins a $3000 grow and now their sick and dying mother doesn't get the meds she needs and she dies. You've got to think outside of your bubble with your own limited experiences, we are trying to help everyone here. Please help me come up with a solution.
Like I said in my next post, you guys determine who is good at what, then assign specific titles and catagorize it so specific questions go to specific advisors about specific things, Not just to anyone with a "Star"

I think someone with a 3,000$ grow should’ve gone somewhere with actual liability instead of an Internet forum. You’re attempting to resolve a problem that starts with the user, not the forum.
Yup I’ve seen even with the greatest advice in the world people still fail sometimes you just have to make those mistakes to get a better grip on what are you doin wrong !!

That's all fine and dandy, until someone gets bad advice and ruins a $3000 grow and now their sick and dying mother doesn't get the meds she needs and she dies. You've got to think outside of your bubble with your own limited experiences, we are trying to help everyone here. Please help me come up with a solution.
What about a 420 membership that allows users to get quality answers, maybe a few bonus perks...otherwise using the forums as they are now is free

If 420 wants to read what everyone is posting, and find certain individuals who are better at certain things, and then with those individuals permissions assign them to categories I am all in.

Like Krissi on droughting for example. Assign her as a Droughting advisor.

Then let the one with the question decide who is best to ask on the needed topic.
You're talking about a job that will never exist, we simply don't have the time, energy, finances or resources to take on such a mammoth task. Nor do I want to be the one everyone throws rocks at all day and night because I gave someone a star that didn't deserve one.

Man I've been here a long time I have given and seen some awful advice given looking back on it all. I think it would be neat to have people who are tried and true be awarded a certification. Like no til, coco, and ebb and flow all require different knowledge and could warrant a ceritan badge. It could even be on a community basis and be elected similar to MOTM.

Either way I can safely say as someone who loves to help. Giving no advice or admitting you don't know, is better than wrong advice. (Sorry lowded).

We should have enough active members to stand up to unsound advice as well. There is nothing wrong with politely disagreement.

My 2 pennies. I hope you are all having a great week!

Cheers from Alaska.

:bigtoke:

My 2 cents:

Even the most knowledgeable and liked members can and do give "wrong" advice. It happens.
I would suggest an easier way to search for answers. It took me a while to get familiar with the workings of the site and how to properly search.

I love this site! I came here after a disappointing experience at a similar site. I observed an interaction where a newbie asked a question, someone answered, then several others completely blasted the original response - making the user feel like shit. Would hate to see that here. I like how 420 feels more like a community, and if someone gives questionable advice others will chime in with "here's how I do it" type of response. Much more helpful.

:passitleft:

You're talking about a job that will never exist, we simply don't have the time, energy, finances or resources to take on such a mammoth task. Nor do I want to be the one everyone throws rocks at all day and night because I gave someone a star that didn't deserve one.
I'm not sure what the right answer is then but I do have a question.

Obviously ths very well intended idea came from a need. Is the current peer system failing? If so put it out here, we will help you.

Heres the thing... If good smart worthy people get stars then future good smart worthy people will never see the light of day as they won't ever be asked a question and our knowledge loses that beautiful thing that happens when a new idea comes from a nobody out in left field and we will get stale, and people will drift.

Neither. Help people learn dont advise them how to do it.
It appears to me that you're missing the whole point here. People come here for advice. We give them advice. They take the advice and implement it into their grows. It's pretty cut and dry in my mind, what am I missing here?

It appears to me that you're missing the whole point here. People come here for advice. We give them advice. They take the advice and implement it into their grows. It's pretty cut and dry in my mind, what am I missing here?
Dang, I come here for soooo many other reasons. Hanging with like-minded people being the biggest. Maybe I am missing the point.

I think someone with a 3,000$ grow should’ve gone somewhere with actual liability instead of an Internet forum. You’re attempting to resolve a problem that starts with the user, not the forum.
Thank you for your opinion, but that's not going to cut it for me. People come here for advice on anything from a plant in a closet to a 5000 plant warehouse or field. With all due respect, I disagree with you completely.

@420 You have a great forum here. What you need is a disclaimer when people join the forum, looking for advice. Maybe you already have that – if not, you sure need one.

This forum provides a lot of things, one of which is people give advice to other people. The person receiving the advice needs to understand that they need to also do their own research. There are good books available that cover a lot of the issues, e.g. Rosenthal and K. Morrow. And Google will turn up a huge amount of answers as well.

The longer members are on the forum, the more they will develop trust in who is giving advice. Newbies coming in for advice don't have this experience. Hence the need for a disclaimer.

Thank you for your opinion, but that's not going to cut it for me. People come here for advice on anything from a plant in a closet to a 5000 plant warehouse or field. With all due respect, I disagree with you completely.

What is it you’re expecting? Stroking peoples ego is the rep system. Getting good advice from a solid community is what we have now.

lol 420 I see the issue... your talking to a bunch of grow journal guys. We do our own science. Float this in your faq section.

I think you nailed it

Like I said in my next post, you guys determine who is good at what, then assign specific titles and catagorize it so specific questions go to specific advisors about specific things, Not just to anyone with a "Star"
What if the person gives some good advice on a few things, but terrible advice on others? The system would eliminate that by having everyone judge on each case by case situation. Again, it's a job that is way too cumbersome and complicated for us to do ourselves. We simply don't have the funding or man power to make it happen.

I get what 420 is saying it's a huge problem that could be solved just with a few tweeks!!!!!! Think we need to try it only time will tell ..

When I got advice I wasn’t sure of you know what I did? I bought a book.. When I was unsure of what I was being told I read the research papers.. When I realized this person was giving sound advice I relaxed a bit but still checked on things I was not sure of. We’re trying to build a community of growers not followers. There will be 20 people doing the work for thousands. That’s not a community, that’s a corporation.

@420 also if it helps you, and the club, and you assign some helpers, have them come to us if they need science... We are all whacked, we will try anything and no matter how strange a request, an answer from left field will likely arise. Assign the stars and use the growers journals section as the great resource that it is.

What if the person gives some good advice on a few things, but terrible advice on others? The system would eliminate that by having everyone judge on each case by case situation. Again, it's a job that is way too cumbersome and complicated for us to do ourselves. We simply don't have the funding or man power to make it happen.
I can totally appreciate that 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom