• Yes

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will respectfully step back now.. I can feel myself becoming emotionally invested and that will help no one.

At the end of the day I really appreciate the community we have and the admins that are working their butts off everyday to try to make it a better place. Whatever the decision is, I’ll attempt to support it regardless.. You’ve made it this far @420 now’s not the time to doubt you.

Reps+
Personally I liked reps in the olden days. For a newb it made it more interesting and unique compared to other cannabis sites. Yes there will be some bad advice given and drama associated but it was entertaining as well as informative. Bullies will be dealt with appropriately by 420 I’m sure. :passitleft:

Also if someone losses 3k over some advice from 1 grower they met online they probably shouldn’t be investing 3k into growing cannabis

I'm not sure what the right answer is then but I do have a question.

Obviously ths very well intended idea came from a need. Is the current peer system failing? If so put it out here, we will help you.

Heres the thing... If good smart worthy people get stars then future good smart worthy people will never see the light of day as they won't ever be asked a question and our knowledge loses that beautiful thing that happens when a new idea comes from a nobody out in left field and we will get stale, and people will drift.
I am putting it out here, in this thread.

Questions are mostly asked in the forums at random, not to specific people at first, until they find someone that gives them good advice, then maybe they ask them directly moving forward. That just creates more relationships, it's a good thing. Google brings us people searching for help, and those newbies post their questions for anyone to answer. The system could handle a million people with 100% reputations, so I'm not understanding how your concern is valid.

lol @420 I see the issue... your talking to a bunch of grow journal guys. We do our own science. Float this in your faq section.
I'm talking to every member of the 420 Magazine community who cares enough about us enough to help figure this out with me. If this doesn't apply to you, you are more than welcome to tap out :thanks:

Questions are mostly asked in the forums at random, not to specific people at first, until they find someone that gives them good advice, then maybe they ask them directly moving forward. That just creates more relationships, it's a good thing. Google brings us people searching for help, and those newbies post their questions for anyone to answer. The system could handle a million people with 100% reputations, so I'm not understanding how your concern is valid.
But we are failing to see how the current peer system fails. Your p.o.v., your dissemination of a single event doesn't help us in the broad scope of how rep fixes what isnt broken

Dang, I come here for soooo many other reasons. Hanging with like-minded people being the biggest. Maybe I am missing the point.
Yeah, 420 Magazine is SO much bigger than what you come here for. We are a thirty year old activist mission to change international cannabis laws through education and awareness. What you come here for is a bonus that you get from all the hard work we do everywhere else on the site.

What I meant was " Is the current way failing?

I think the person who suggested the disclaimer is kind of on the right track more so to protect others and the staff. You have new people floating in every day so I’m surprised it hasn’t happened in light of growing legalization what system do we have to protect those who may give bad advice or see things differently but it then ruins a grow then following that you have legal action being presented. I’m not saying it will happen but in my opinion if you have someone that shells out $1000-$5000 on the first grow it wouldn’t surprise me

@420 You have a great forum here. What you need is a disclaimer when people join the forum, looking for advice. Maybe you already have that – if not, you sure need one.

This forum provides a lot of things, one of which is people give advice to other people. The person receiving the advice needs to understand that they need to also do their own research. There are good books available that cover a lot of the issues, e.g. Rosenthal and K. Morrow. And Google will turn up a huge amount of answers as well.

The longer members are on the forum, the more they will develop trust in who is giving advice. Newbies coming in for advice don't have this experience. Hence the need for a disclaimer.
As the old saying goes... you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink. People either take the advice and do something with it or find another avenue. Simple. I used to go on youtube but after my experiences on 420 it's my go to because of the members I've engaged with over time and I can't thank them enough. You know who you are 420 fam

I'm talking to every member of the 420 Magazine community who cares enough about us enough to help figure this out with me. If this doesn't apply to you, you are more than welcome to tap out :thanks:
easy dude. Your obviously upset about this. Im out.

Exactly. If you think you have a calcium problem go to the 420 Calcium Advisor, not a person who has a star because they really understand curing.
Calcium advisor. He better be a mineralogist cause unless u got one hell of a filtration system. Your going get them chemical that's in that water.. out a electrobe into a glass wait 3 mins. . U going be shocked

Good point, however if a hundred growers all voted on the best answer, we stand a much better chance of highlighting the proper advice for the person who needs it. It's all about helping the member, not about giving accolades to people who reply to every question there is.
Voting on the best answer isn't what you've proposed here.
Some really bad advice/info has been given and nobody spoke up because the person giving it had a reputation here. The posts with bad advice were liked, not because they were helpful, but because of who it was posting.
I don't see how this proposal would change that.
Don't get me wrong, I respect what you're trying to do, I just don't think this is the way to do it.
Wouldn't it be just like the extra special things already next to your user name and many others, that you enter monthly to be recognized for....?

I agree it doesn't always correlate. But one should always get advice, and do their own research. Period. Even then....the rabbit hole is still deep.
Maybe, but the rep system just makes me think of karma on Reddit. Voicing an unpopular opinion gets penalised even if it's objectively correct. Even if you can't minus rep somebody, a person with a low rep score could be more likely to be ignored.

I agree advice should be checked out, but unfortunately not everyone will, and a rep system doesn't change that.
What if the person gives some good advice on a few things, but terrible advice on others? The system would eliminate that by having everyone judge on each case by case situation. Again, it's a job that is way too cumbersome and complicated for us to do ourselves. We simply don't have the funding or man power to make it happen.
Don't we already do that?
A rep system would simply give the person with a higher rep score another way to silence disputing opinions/advice.

Yeah, 420 Magazine is SO much bigger than what you come here for. We are a thirty year old activist mission to change international cannabis laws through education and awareness. What you come here for is a bonus that you get from all the hard work we do everywhere else on the site.
He meant coming to the forum for so much more than just grow advice. The forum provides much more than just advice. Hanging out with people on the forum is community activity, and the forum software takes care of that. Of course, the forum needs to be managed, and y'all are doing a great job.

lol @420 I see the issue... your talking to a bunch of grow journal guys. We do our own science. Float this in your faq section.

Lol, and I was just about to reply to Gee's point. He's got a point. We may not have the same perspective that Rob does, 'cause we're regulars.

We know who's who - who to listen to and who can point us in the right direction.

Is there a way to let newbies know, too?

I think the person who suggested the disclaimer is kind of on the right track more so to protect others and the staff. You have new people floating in every day so I’m surprised it hasn’t happened in light of growing legalization what system do we have to protect those who may give bad advice or see things differently but it then ruins a grow then following that you have legal action being presented. I’m not saying it will happen but in my opinion if you have someone that shells out $1000-$5000 on the first grow it wouldn’t surprise me
I am the person who suggested the disclaimer. Rob, what do you think of the disclaimer, up front and center when someone signs up?

What I meant was " Is the current way failing?
Kind of, we're exhausted from getting reports in the back about people giving wrong advice. Sometimes we get long winded people that send us page long dramatic situations and demand us to investigate, or else. After half a dozen of us spend a collective 12 hours working on investigating and discussing what to do, then the member has a temper tantrum and leaves the site and we not only lost the member, but that 12 hours that 6 of us will never get back. There are a thousand examples I could give, this is just one. The list is endless.

So I figured if we put that responsibility on the community itself, and remove us from the picture, you all could police yourself in that regard, saving us a thousand hours a year from stuff we never should have been forced to deal with to begin with.

In my mind I see this helping the person looking for help, and the community as a whole, and my staff from wasting valuable time energy and money on somebody's drama from a misunderstanding on how to water a plant or if you should balance your pH or flush or not.

We spend almost all of our time dealing with drama from trolls, tattletales, crybabies and trouble makers. If we could limit some of that, weed have time to create content and take us to the next level. Otherwise, we just keep spinning wheels while the rest of the industry takes off without us. We are not social workers or psychologists, we are activists, entrepreneurs and volunteers on a mission to change international laws.

Lol, and I was just about to reply to Gee's point. He's got a point. We may not have the same perspective that Rob does, 'cause we're regulars.

We know who's who - who to listen to and who can point us in the right direction.

Is there a way to let newbies know, too?
Screenshot_20230109-173207_Chrome.jpg

all those accolades by your name do a fine job of saying to a newb "this guy you can listen to"
Im not teasing or kidding either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom