Sorenna's - 2015 - THC Bomb Auto & Strawberry Blue - Soil - LED

Re: Sorenna's (2015) THC Bomb THC/Strawberry Blue Autoflowers in soil under LED

Thelma and Louise - Day 9

Today they are doing well. They really arent gaining much height yet, but their leaves are definitely getting bigger. Louise (Strawberry Blue) is lifting her second set of leaves to the light, so I expect her to shoot up some soon. I found gnats today too. :( But just a couple, so Im going to keep my eye on it.

I didnt feel like taking pictures this evening. Ill do it tomorrow. :) See if my noob predictions come true.

Thelma and Louise - Day 10

Hi yall. :) I piddled around in the tent a little bit today. Nothing major. I sprinkled some diatemaceous earth on the surface of each pot, but it was a wasted effort. I forgot the soil is moist from the swicking and its my understanding that once DE gets wet, it doesnt work. Oh well, at least it wont hurt the babies. I turned each pot 1/4 turn and took some pictures. Sorry, Im not a great photographer and a couple of the pics are a little blurrier than Id like, but they will still show what I want them to show.

Thelma has her second set of real leaves in, but still no height. Isnt there supposed to be at least a little space between the nodes? I personally see very little distance between set 1 and set 2 or even between the cotyledon leaves and set 2. But I can see the 3rd set of leaves coming in if I look really closely in the center.

Thelma (Bomb THC Bomb auto)
Thelma417.JPG

...and Thelma from a side view.
Thelma4172.JPG

Louise is showing her second set of leaves very well now. They arent all the way in like Thelma's are but clearly visible and getting bigger. She also has no height between the 1st and 2nd sets of leaves.

Louise (Strawberry Blue photo)
Louise4172.JPG

...and Louise in profile.
Louise417.JPG

All in all, they look good. They are growing, just not in the way I expected. Also, I set a fan in there that has a very gentle air disturbance, the girls sway only the littlest bit with it on.

Temps and humidity are also very good in there. About 60% RH and 70 degrees with lights on.

Thats it for this update. I wish yall the best day between now and next time. Toodles!

Quite a hobby, eh? :laughtwo: Give them time to get their feet under them. They'll be running soon enough.

Sorenna, the best thing my daughter taught me about taking pictures was that almost every picture benefits from cropping. I've watched my one-shot photo wonder child make a minimal crop and turn an already good photo into a stunning piece of art. She does it in about 3 seconds. I'm getting better. Take enough pictures and put together a few posts, you get faster at it.

Cropping brings your girls right into view.

Thelma (Bomb THC Bomb auto)
Thelma417.JPG

image23554.jpg

I thoroughly enjoy reading your journal. You get the Canna Mom thing. :love:

It's good when your nodes grow tight, it shows they are getting plenty of light.

Some growers, Light Addict for example, spread the newest leaves slightly apart every day to encourage tighter nodes.

Well, arent they good little girls! They are doing what they are supposed to do despite me. haha Im happy to hear it. Thank you.

Quite a hobby, eh? :laughtwo: Give them time to get their feet under them. They'll be running soon enough.

I thoroughly enjoy reading your journal. You get the Canna Mom thing. :love:

Im very happy you like it. :blushsmile: I have 5 children, so I think at least the Mom thing is kinda engrained by now. lol

patience, I don't worry about anything much, just follow instinct when needed, like if they showed deficiency or burn, but they have to show it to convince me, not assume remember that makes an ass out of u and me :) its just a jingle that runs through my head when i'm not sure.

Im not really worried, just trying to keep my eye on any potential problems, eventho I dont really know what to expect. Im learning what they will do and what they wont do and what to expect. :blushsmile:

Thelma and Louise - Day 11

Today Im pretty sure I have a problem. I think they are getting too much water. I put the backs of my fingers over the soil at the outside around the rim and it felt fine, moist and cool, not wet. Then I set my fingers over the soil right around the stem and it felt *very* wet. Louise is getting it the worst. I have blocked their access to the water for now. Ill watch for improvement and when the pots start to dry out a little bit, Ill put them back on the perlite until the soil gets moist again and then block access again for a while. Either that or I will have to abandon the SWICK system altogether and just top water. I do not think the fault lies with the water system itself, I think I put too much perlite in with the soil.

Louise is showing some pretty obvious signs of overwatering, namely yellow spots all over the leaves. Thelma is looking far better. I think maybe her perlite ratio might not be as high. On one of the pots I lost count and just put the perlite in until it looked like the other one.

Anyway, here they are:

Thelma
Thelma418.JPG

Thelma4181.JPG

Louise
Louise418.JPG

Louise4181.JPG

Oddly enough, you can see the discolorations of her leaves best in the pink picture.

Quarter turn for each and some extra encouragement, thats all for today.

re: Sorenna's - 2015 - THC Bomb (Auto) & Strawberry Blue - Soil - LED

You may be right about the excess perlite in her pot. Would you please post your concerns, with photos on the SWICK thread? It's important that we show the potential problems, find ways to work through them and document those improved results. I know for a fact that you can run from seed to harvest in a well put together SWICK.

Unless you could do a temporary transplant (very temporary, as in less than half an hour) and balanced out your ratios, that pot may always be too wet for a SWICK. I'm not even suggesting you do that really, just a thought that sprang to mind. I do everything possible to stay out of the pot and away from roots in my LOS pots. Doc's going to have me transplanting and slashing roots, for goodness sakes! He's decided to teach me how to cultivate. :laughtwo:

Pay more attention to the new growth at this point. I know it stings to have some concern rear it's ugly head, but these are some of the most resilient plants on the planet. As a Canna mom you want to keep them happy and healthy. That's just natural. :love:

I confess I do feel quite sick, but I do feel they will recover. Im not concerned about losing them. I think I caught it pretty early and that might be helpful. I do not think I can transplant them mostly because all I have left is the soil and no extra perlite.

Im a bit disgusted with myself, to be honest, but Ill get over it and I hope they do too. haha

I can identify. Been there. Done that. :laughtwo:

Yes. I am using Fox Farm Happy Frog and I have added zero nutrients. I havent even cracked the seals on the bottles. I have not PH'd the water, but I have only watered them twice, once when I put the perlite in the kitty litter pan and wettened it to create the reservoir and then again 6 days later when I added 2 cups of rainwater to each. I used rainwater to start the reservoirs too. I didnt think that rainwater needed to be PH'd. Does it?

One can have lovely ph'd water and off ph in the soil.

I am just recovering from 3 months of seedlings that wouldn't thrive and 10 months of clones that wouldn't thrive. It was nice ph water but 3-different soils that changed my water ph to way too high. Lowering the ph of the water fixed the problems.

It all started when I put DE on the top of my pots.... so I'm sensitive to ph and cannabis.

It could be something else, but it's worth checking.

And good job on the no nutes, your girls are too young.
I have read Foxfarm tends to make their soils in ways that nute burn young plants.
But I have read a lot of things about FoxFarm, including Happy Frog PH at 4.8 and Ocean Forest at 8.2.
I don't know whether to believe any of it.

They're are still really small. The first sets of leaves are typically wonky in my mind as the plant works to establish its foundation. I will say that I use Happy Frog and it has given me pH issues and has been notorious for running a very low pH. I add Dolomite and it seemed to have corrected it, but it didn't rear it's ugly head until late in my grow. Possible because I defoliated so much during the flux.

Give it a little while and see if she grows out of it before you do anything too drastic. They are still young. Don't overMother them

I'm such a goof I wanted to respond Sorenna's post above you Rad sorry :bigblush:

One can have lovely ph'd water and off ph in the soil.

I am just recovering from 3 months of seedlings that wouldn't thrive and 10 months of clones that wouldn't thrive. It was nice ph water but 3-different soils that changed my water ph to way too high. Lowering the ph of the water fixed the problems.

It all started when I put DE on the top of my pots.... so I'm sensitive to ph and cannabis.

It could be something else, but it's worth checking.

And good job on the no nutes, your girls are too young.
I have read Foxfarm tends to make their soils in ways that nute burn young plants.
But I have read a lot of things about FoxFarm, including Happy Frog PH at 4.8 and Ocean Forest at 8.2.
I don't know whether to believe any of it.
I've used both FFOF and HF, mixed together, added some sand and vermiculite, no issues. FFOF by itself did burn a bit but even worse I think it was the source of my thrips problem which led me down a long road of questioning wtf was happening. Once I finally figured that out and solved it with spinosad treatments, I was depressed about all of the work the whole thing took with really crappy results, then I had some good results. <--that sentence sucked but I'm not gonna fix it :) Anyway I began to take things easier, as part of that I used HF by itself and added some FloraNova grow and Bloom nutes I had purchased when I was freaking out and didn't know I had thrips. Things are better but not anywhere near where I want to be in the future. But I have about 8 harvests under my belt. The best thing I can tell you is baby steps. Make small adjustments between grows so you can see how it affects the grow at the end. I think the plants will be fine they will to some extent adjust to the soil on their own. Follow through with your plan unless you have positive signs something is very wrong. The first leaves can be finicky give it a week or so. ;)

Im in watch n see mode right now. Thats all Im gonna do. At worst, Ill have pop another auto. The good thing is the one most affected is the photo, so she will have some time to recover, where the auto would have harder time recovering.

Its gonna be alright. I can feel it. :blushsmile:

I'm such a goof I wanted to respond Sorenna's post above you Rad sorry :bigblush:

I've used both FFOF and HF, mixed together, added some sand and vermiculite, no issues. FFOF by itself did burn a bit but even worse I think it was the source of my thrips problem which led me down a long road of questioning wtf was happening. Once I finally figured that out and solved it with spinosad treatments, I was depressed about all of the work the whole thing took with really crappy results, then I had some good results. <--that sentence sucked but I'm not gonna fix it :) Anyway I began to take things easier, as part of that I used HF by itself and added some FloraNova grow and Bloom nutes I had purchased when I was freaking out and didn't know I had thrips. Things are better but not anywhere near where I want to be in the future. But I have about 8 harvests under my belt. The best thing I can tell you is baby steps. Make small adjustments between grows so you can see how it affects the grow at the end. I think the plants will be fine they will to some extent adjust to the soil on their own. Follow through with your plan unless you have positive signs something is very wrong. The first leaves can be finicky give it a week or so. ;)

No problems here. You've got more grower's cred than I do anyway:)

Back
Top Bottom