Stunger Tries Trough Growing And Attempts Fluxing On His Organic Living Soil Balcony

I'm sure it does. I just have a long term lust for that one! One day I'd like to grow one for its taste!
I am not the best at describing tastes and aromas, but the FBC upon inhaling does fill your mouth with a soft full cherry type taste and I like the full body effects of this one too. It's a keeper and one that I'd happily grow again.
Nice looking garden ,"Right on!"
Thanks SOG, at this point I just want to see bats and buds!

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! :snowboating:

Welcome to my 2023/24 grow. :yahoo::welcome:

Previously I have grown in plastic pots 30L & 50L (8gal & 13gal). But I have now put the pots in storage, and instead assembled on the balcony a raised garden bed (a trough) to contain about 300L(80gal) of organic living soil. There are pros and cons on growing in a common container, but at this point in time it feels like the right thing to explore, so here I am, running with it! And because the plants have now had their final up-potting and they are still looking healthy, I'll take that as a goer and start this journal now!

This grow's strain aim

In recent grows I had been focusing on Sativas, I love their high for the daytime, for being active, and still being able to function well. A few years ago I grew White Widow and Gorgonzola, I don't know what their genetics were but I found when consumed as an edible an hour or so before bed that I would sleep the whole night through, if I was woken up then sleep would be there to overcome the disturbance and to seamlessly pull me back to dreamland again. It was great, I'd probably get up in the night once a month. I didn't find that same deep sleep assisted effect with the Sativa strains I grew, so this time I wanted to try something strongly Indica to evaluate for sleeping and rest, on whether it is more of an Indica/Sativa characteristic, or maybe it was specific strain related.

For the record, this grow I started off with Black Valium, Super Lemon Haze and Blueberry Cupcake. That would have given me 2 Indica dominant and 1 Sativa dominant plants.

I had a 5 pack of Black Valium from Top Shelf Seeds, the description of its effects and potency was really appealing. Unfortunately, one after the other, each seed failed to germinate and then I failed to check on the 5th seed thinking the obvious, when I did, it was too late, the only successfully germinated Black Valium seed had gone unnoticed, it's overgrown root now folded and dying, I potted it into soil but too late, it failed to grow. Another lesson to had. :(

It was also a no starter for the Blueberry Cupcake from Humboldt Seed Company, maybe it didn't like the soil or perhaps a worm had nibbled it's nether regions, but unfortunately it never grew bigger than a matchbox. ☹️

So, not wanting the outdoor growing season to take off without me, I kicked off a Frozen Black Cherry, and then a week later I followed that with 2 regular Mulanje Sherbert seeds.

The strains that I am growing

Super Lemon Haze (feminised) - Greenhouse Seeds

70% SATIVA - 30% INDICA

THC: 19.33% CBD: 0.21% CBN: 1.15%

GENETICS
Lemon Skunk x Super Silver Haze.

EFFECTS
A very citrus-like haze, works fast and lasts long.
It is a very powerful high, very balanced between a physical and a cerebral side.
Medicinally effective in pain therapy and appetite stimulation.

This is probably perceived as being an 'old' strain but I have read and heard many times that a lot of folk rate SLH very highly, often as their number 1, sounds good and I just want top shelf!

Frozen Black Cherry (feminised) - Anesia Seeds

80% Indica / 20% Sativa

THC +35%

GENETICS
Pacific Frost x Blackberry Moonrocks

Frozen Black Cherry combines exceptionally high potency with an unforgettable taste experience, an aroma of cherries, red berries and grapes that is to die for.

The buds of this strain are rock hard, super sticky, typically indica and produce a smooth enjoyable smoke that is extremely fruity and sweet. The strain can reach a THC level of an impressive 36% and is among the most potent strains in the world.
Its effects build up steadily and quickly immediately after consumption, releasing an unimagined power. Sensory distortions can occur and trippy effects set in while the sense of time seems to blur. It brings with it a distinctly psychedelic component and music suddenly attains a much greater breadth and depth. At the same time, a deep physical relaxation spreads and the worries and stress of the day simply disappear. The effect on body and mind is multifaceted and offers a good opportunity to enrich certain activities, if you are still able to do so.

I am most interested in this for it's potency and Indica dominance for purposes of taking it before sleep, or indeed any other time when something for the couch is called for.

Mulanje Sherbert (regular)

70% Sativa / 30 Indica

GENETICS:
Mulanje x Mango Sherbert

THC unknown

This is a homemade cross I did 2 years ago. I grew it out last year. The result is the strongest strain that I have ever grown (which doesn't mean much because I am not a big grower). It's high lasts noticeably longer than most and packs a punch. It is the one that I have reached for almost exclusively over these past 6 months, and some feedback from a few testers has it rated as their top pick.

I mainly intended to grow it this year in order to get a male and cross it with the other 2 ladies just to see what the outcome is, but for the quality of her buds a female would be nice too. I have germinated 2 seeds, ideally 1 will be a male for it's pollen and the other a female for her bud.

If the Super Lemon Haze and Frozen Black Cherry live up to their descriptions, and I know the Mulanje Sherbert is already something special, I will be quite excited on the results of any successful crosses.

The Trough

The trough's dimensions are; 1.83m x 0.45 x 0.4 (total volume 330L). It has no bottom.

The media used to fill it

My approach to filling the trough has been to create 2 aeration layers and 2 organic living soil layers, with the lower soil layer being somewhat of a 'super soil' layer from all the chicken derived media. There is also 2 amendment layers as well. A shoutout to Bill who has been popularising aeration layers in containers with his fantastic grows.

T O P - L A Y E R - approx 19cm(7.5inches)

5cm of Herbi's living soil
6cm of my previously used living container soil (I have lots of good stuff added over the years that I want to retain)
5cm of Herbi's living soil
Amendment layer; Dried Shrimp, Bio Char, Malted Barley, Diatomaceous Earth, Neem Meal, Kelp, Gypsum
3cm of composted chicken run soil to 'seed' the aeration layer below

M I D D L E - A E R A T I O N - L A Y E R - approx 5cm(2 inches)

5cm of Volcanic Pumice and Scoria

S U P E R - S O I L - L A Y E R - approx 7cm(3 inches)

Amendment layer; Dried Shrimp, Bio Char, Malted Barley, Diatomaceous Earth, Neem Meal, Kelp, Gypsum, Paramagnetic Rock Dust
4cm Chicken Soil raked up from the chook run
1cm of Worm Castings
2cm of composted Chicken poo and untreated wood shavings

B A S E - A E R A T I O N - L A Y E R - approx 4cm(1.5 inches)

4cm of Volcanic Pumice and Scoria

I had hoped to have the trough all set up a few months before use, but I had delays and it was only set up days before up-potting the plants. Although it was planted into almost immediately after being set up, all components had worms and soil life and had sat long enough individually for there not to be a heat issue (at least I hoped) For the initial small seedling pots I filled the lower third with Chicken run soil, so if seedlings can handle it, I felt it would be fine.

At this point I have left approximately 5cm (2 inches) free from the top of the trough container to allow the usage of horizontal training wire.

I have affixed a layer of landscape fabric to the bottom third to the trough, to help contain any potential soil loss.

Filling the base aeration layer

The first layer that I did was of pumice and scoria (both volcanic). This will hopefully provide an aeration characteristic for where the media meets the base, and also to help contain soil particles. I would expect in a few years the fabric will have broken down but I think with the pumice/scoria base and over time a living earth root complex will develop that should allow the soil particles to be fairly self contained and not leak out.

Next the base Super Soil layers

Then the middle aeration layer

And finally the top layer

At this point I have about 5cm/2 inches left to the top of the trough. I am intending to use this space to try and train the plant to keep low in a Fluxing manner.

I will post this now to kick off the journal then come back and post some pics and detail on the plant's progress thus far.

Thanks for dropping in! I hope your own gardens are going great, and I hope to look in on them very soon.
:ganjamon:
Everything looking so amazing , I can only wish my ladies get this far !

Update - The end is nigh for the Frozen Black Cherry - Trichome pics

Greetings 420 enthusiasts!

The weather's turning, wind and sprinkles of rain most days.

I have been enjoying my early testing, probably too much. I think I have been vaping at least twice what I normally do as it is such a blast getting acquainted with these latest buds. Mostly the Frozen Black Cherry and she has pretty much entered the harvest window. I am guessing that I will probably give her the chop somewhere around this coming weekend. But before that happens here's one more pic of the 3 in the trough together!

Frozen Black Cherry

It's hard to capture her 'readiness' in the trough.

Frozen Black Cherry cola tops

They are sticky, hard and weighty, and starting to look gnarly as age and readiness catch up with her previously youthful good looks.

Frozen Black Cherry bud closeups

Frozen Black Cherry trichomes

There are definitely more cloudy trichomes to be seen now, and more amber too. Not long to go.

Thanks for dropping by! I hope your own gardens are going great.

Mostly cloudy with a chance of harvest...best forecast ever!
Thanks Shed! haha, not long to go.
Some very nice plants right there!!! Smoke report on your testers?? Aka caterpillar nuggets!! 😎✌️
Cheers Scottay! Early testing of all 3 plants has been reassuring in that I have got some potent hard hitting buds on the way.

However, the early buds from the Frozen Black Cherry which has been the nearest to being ready along with it's high Indica content that I haven't had for long while, this one is particularly butt kicking for it's body stone.

Update - Frozen Black Cherry, is it ready?

As the plant matures more damage appears

Today I felt that I had to make a decision on the FBC. The plant was looking done. There were some spots where bud had turned brown from caterpillar damage, and also there were a few bud/cola heads that appeared to be not damaged but dying off.

Later today and the next 2 days is forecast for rain, so either chop the plant now or remove the damage. I decided to remove the buds and cola tops showing damage.

It looks a reasonable amount left to dry on the tray but at least half of what I cut off is undamaged.

I picked a couple of the pruned off buds to check the trichomes

The undamaged bits were weighty, moist, and resinous

Trichome closeups

After the damaged bits were pruned off, the remaining plant looked pretty untouched, and actually looks quite fine now. She has more cloudy, but still more clear than amber. So quite possibly another week to 10 days? At this stage, I will see how she progresses and unless there is further decline I am happy wait a bit more.

The Frozen Black Cherry after damage removed

Thanks for dropping by. I hope your day is going great!

Today I felt that I had to make a decision on the FBC. The plant was looking done. There were some spots where bud had turned brown from caterpillar damage, and also there were a few bud/cola heads that appeared to be not damaged but dying off.

Later today and the next 2 days is forecast for rain, so either chop the plant now or remove the damage. I decided to remove the buds and cola tops showing damage.

It looks a reasonable amount left to dry on the tray but at least half of what I cut off is undamaged.

Trichome closeups

After the damaged bits were pruned off, the remaining plant looked pretty untouched, and actually looks quite fine now. She has more cloudy, but still more clear than amber. So quite possibly another week to 10 days? At this stage, I will see how she progresses and unless there is further decline I am happy wait a bit more.

:popcorn::ciao: CL🍀

Cheers CL!
So not much rot! :woohoo:
Thanks Otter! The majority of what I cut off is actually untouched by damage, the actual real damage is luckily minimal.
Growing is certainly not for the faint hearted.

Nice save 😍
Cheers Tra! I think it is like the deal that the whisky makers have to do, that the longer they age the whisky the greater the share that they lose to the angels, they just can't have it both ways. I welcome some loss for the opportunity to take the flowering longer and see if the resulting effect is greater, altho it is already a potent smoke.
Getting it early is key so :welldone: cleaning it up, not to mention all the fun flowers you get to keep!
Thanks Shed! The caterpillars seem to like to nibble thru a whole bud's stalk which then either quickly or slowly dies depending on how deep they nibbled. Next grow I will have a prevention approach for them. Fun flowers indeed, it's already a great smoke.

Trichome closeups

Nice e job sorry about the caterpillars they have been bad over here this year too they hit my outdoor plants hard

Back
Top Bottom