Stunger's Organic Balcony: Growing Daughters Of Mulanje: Watering Via Root Aeration Chambers

hi there stunger , total respect growing pure sativa on a balcony stealth style. back in the 80"s (new to ganja) a good buddy & i purchased some seeded weed ,.the dealer claimed it to be a equatorial sativa from africa . my buddy & i looked at each other ?? sativa ?? but acted like we knew what he was talking about . what ever it was & it came from , it blew us away . we decided to try growing the seeds . we lived close to the kaimai ranges & found a sweet spot in the bush . there are 2 main pests in NZ, the opossom, they love to munch on the ganja . we built an electric fence like the farmers use to keep cattle at bay only lower ,a strip of chicken netting 1/2 metre in hight ( 1 1/2 feet) & plastic piping for poles, it worked like a charm .the other pest were police in helicopter , a search fi marijuana , police burnin" di collie weed . anyway to the point , we just let those plants grow , & grow they did between 3 & 4 metres in hight (9-12 feet) we pulled the males early trying to make seedless which was becoming a trend , sinsemilla was the hip word of that time.they also took forever to rippen mid to end of may . so i can imagine the time & work involved keeping them so low .keep up the good work, respect & peace
Thanks Uncle! The parents of my current plants were grown on my balcony last year so I hope their offspring may be a little genetically suited to here in NZ, maybe. And like you found, it was late May before they were ready for harvest. It worked out all right, but the darker days and bad weather does make it tricky. I only grow once a year and when it is over the balcony looks pretty sad and bare between harvest time and waiting for the next Spring.

I was in Nepal in the 1980's and saw big plants growing wild there, I remember one that was outside a teahouse and was 2 stories high, one backpacker told me he sat resting his back against the trunk for several days before it dawned on him what it was. I hope you kept those genetics going.
Yeah, when I started feeding them more, more often, they retained their green more through the grow I'm seeing. It's easier for me with Geoflora as my feed. I admire your ability to run with raw materials! These plants Are Beauties!
Thanks Otter! Like I said, being an outdoor grower I get a bit behind the 8 ball when I try to remember what I did the previous year! But hopefully I will be on to it quicker next time, at least now the plants are back looking pretty lush green again.

I get a bit behind the 8 ball when I try to remember what I did the previous year!
Well, you're "winging it" pretty well this year.. 😁
Despite all the crap weather, rain, and 190kph winds they've lived through, I don't think those girls could be any happier!

Well, you're "winging it" pretty well this year.. 😁
Despite all the crap weather, rain, and 190kph winds they've lived through, I don't think those girls could be any happier!
Thanks Carcass! I think they're getting their colour back. I just gave them another watering with Yucca extract to help that top dressing soak in.

Doing a stellar job there Stunger, girls are looking great. Gonna be some real nice buds for sure. I'm so jealous, I'll have to live vicariously through your grow brother. They really love what you're doing. Keep up the good work.

Doing a stellar job there Stunger, girls are looking great. Gonna be some real nice buds for sure. I'm so jealous, I'll have to live vicariously through your grow brother. They really love what you're doing. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Joe! Each year I feel it takes me half the grow to remember what I learnt the previous year. I'm glad you're popping in to keep us in line!

Thanks Joe! Each year I feel it takes me half the grow to remember what I learnt the previous year. I'm glad you're popping in to keep us in line!
If we're still learning with every grow we can't go wrong...
Wouldn't have it any other way.

Update - Leaning in closer to check on early pistil formation

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! My plants are now 5 months old, and it seems a long time ago since I went thru a process of checking for early signs of gender and then making the call to cull out the perceived males.

Looking great @Stunger. Still no pistils on the other two?

Emeraldo's question prompted me to take a couple of closeups of each plant. The Mulanje Sherbert has been in budset for a couple of weeks. But the other 2 are actually showing pistils but they're not yet fully bursting out, but they're there!

Pistil pictures for each plant girl!

Cheers for swinging by, keep well and may your gardens be blooming! :ganjamon:

I can see why that balcony looks sad and bare all winter compared to the lush jungle you've got out there now! Well done staying on top of the training as well as kind of remembering the topping lessons learned from last year. :)
Thanks Shed! The balcony certainly looks more appealing when there are plants growing on it, without them it's bleak.

yes , we used that strain for a few seasons , we even back crossed it with the few seeds our plants produced . the long flowering season was a pain even though in the 80"s the autums were very nice with lots of sun but like u sead , end of may made it tricky , we learnt alot from the high times magazine , so of to amsterdam & we smuggeled back 40 seeds mainly pure indica or indica dominant strains. northen lights was & still is my favorite . though the sativa genetic was not lost we gave some seeds to a hippie woman living in a remote area in the bay of plenty . the plant seemed to do better there . looks like your sherbert is starting to stack her flowers, shes even producing trichomes at a early stage, lovely photos ,,take care, peace & respect

Good morning to my favourite 420 grow enthusiast!

Watching your plants grow makes my heart sing. I’m as superficial as fuck, so I’m all about plant health and beauty and your plants are just lovely!

You really are one of the best growers :)

yes , we used that strain for a few seasons , we even back crossed it with the few seeds our plants produced . the long flowering season was a pain even though in the 80"s the autums were very nice with lots of sun but like u sead , end of may made it tricky , we learnt alot from the high times magazine , so of to amsterdam & we smuggeled back 40 seeds mainly pure indica or indica dominant strains. northen lights was & still is my favorite . though the sativa genetic was not lost we gave some seeds to a hippie woman living in a remote area in the bay of plenty . the plant seemed to do better there . looks like your sherbert is starting to stack her flowers, shes even producing trichomes at a early stage, lovely photos ,,take care, peace & respect
Thanks Uncle! Yes the longer flowering times and the randomness of outdoor weather can throw a wild card into the mix. I went to Amsterdam in the 90's, I posted back 20 seeds and 19 of them got crushed, I germinated the sole survivor then managed to rip it's root out, I was gutted.
thats funny shed but not a bad idea by the end of march stunger will be crawling on his belly to get to his plants
I have considered those, but they add unwanted height to the plants. And also too, my plant's canopies are all touching together, there is very little if any permissible movement to be had without risking ripping off a branch.
Good morning to my favourite 420 grow enthusiast!

Watching your plants grow makes my heart sing. I’m as superficial as fuck, so I’m all about plant health and beauty and your plants are just lovely!
Thankyou Tra!
You really are one of the best growers
Ok, I have to pull you up here for misinformation.

sorry to hear about your seeds i feel your sorrow . your trip through east aisa must of been a fantastic experience , especially seeing those ganja trees , nepal & surrounding area the origin of cannabis , peace to all :peace:
haha no worries Uncle, it was quarter of a century ago. I just wish I had my collecting brain switched on at the time because I was in a lot of good areas, including Central America and places like in Oaxaca Mexico which is known for some really good sativas. I rather kick myself now when thinking over those lost opportunities. Cheers man.

Back
Top Bottom