Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

What kind of temperatures are you getting now in flowering? Do you expect heat (above 30C), warm (20-25), or cooler weather for your neck of the woods into mid-April? What's the forecast? I grew in 2020 in the Central Valley of California at about 38N and learned that flowering outdoors isn't optimal above 25 and terpenes evaporate too quickly above 30. There's something to be said for a cooler clime.

What kind of temperatures are you getting now in flowering? Do you expect heat (above 30C), warm (20-25), or cooler weather for your neck of the woods into mid-April? What's the forecast? I grew in 2020 in the Central Valley of California at about 38N and learned that flowering outdoors isn't optimal above 25 and terpenes evaporate too quickly above 30. There's something to be said for a cooler clime.
Yup. My understanding is that anything over 85 degrees (F) in terms of your leaf temperature and the plant becomes unable to breath and process properly. I don't run CO2, so 85 degrees is my cut off no matter how warm I want it in a particular stage. When I open the tent and once in a while the AC went out overnight or whatever and the girls are at 88 degrees and the arrow on the gauge is pointing up, I always freak. Lmao.

Yup. My understanding is that anything over 85 degrees (F) in terms of your leaf temperature and the plant becomes unable to breath and process properly. I don't run CO2, so 85 degrees is my cut off no matter how warm I want it in a particular stage. When I open the tent and once in a while the AC went out overnight or whatever and the girls are at 88 degrees and the arrow on the gauge is pointing up, I always freak. Lmao.
That said, there's a caveat to that. As we all know and see every year, there are many summer days when it's hotter than 85 outside for multiple days in a row, and often the plants don't seem to mind at all. If it's 90 for a week straight you can bet the leaf temps are all way over 85. The plant was given to us in a very resilient state of being, and they'll handle a ton more than we would ever give them voluntarily. I think maybe the question is not so much one of "can they take it?" as it is "how long can they take it before we start to run into problems?"

Tropics where plant is from hotter than that summer time it's like 100 in Columbia

Tropics where plant is from hotter than that summer time it's like 100 in Columbia
I keep mine around 75 to 88 all the time. 75 at night and 82 during day. Which I seen 88 many times on the temp

I know, see my next post about that. I think this temp thing is much more important in a tent grow. We would never let our plants get into the 90s in a tent. You know? But outdoors they don't seem to mind at all most of the time.

I keep mine around 75 to 88 all the time. 75 at night and 82 during day. Which I seen 88 many times on the temp
I'll let mine get above 85 a little bit if I have a ton of air flow and I want a warmer veg. I wasn't suggesting it's a set in stone thing, just what my understanding was. I thought if you wanted to run hotter than 85 you had to use CO2. In a tent/indoor grow.

I'll let mine get above 85 a little bit if I have a ton of air flow and I want a warmer veg. I wasn't suggesting it's a set in stone thing, just what my understanding was. I thought if you wanted to run hotter than 85 you had to use CO2. In a tent/indoor grow.
I don't. Just got fan in the tent no ac at all. Not going to. I try to keep it like natural way I can humidity high like Columbia.. it's hot as hell and humid as hell there.. so idk what therapy is but that's way I think. Most places like that has the plants grow wild there.. sure don't grow anywhere else naturally

Today was about 27C, the next 10 days is forecast to drop down to 23C. Around mid April when I will harvest the Mango Sherbert I expect the day time temps to be around 20C. But the 3 sativa I am thinking I will harvest more likely early May or possible mid May when the temps will surely be cooler and below 20C. Yes there is something to be said for cooler climes, it can bring the colours out, and my capsicum plants which have struggled with the heat of summer are now suddenly throwing out lotsof capsicums. My main wish here, is that the weather remains supportive of my grow, we haven't had rain for 20 days, and I don't want loads of it now.
Speaking of terpenes evaporating, 2 years ago we had a hot spell after I'd harvested and the concentrated smell of terpenes that seemed to be spilling out from under the door was intense. If I can manage to bring the sativas safely to harvest at least the temps will be cooler when their time comes.

Looking great on the balcony!
Thanks Tim!

A little while back I actually measured the temperature of the stone tiles of the balcony which absorb and radiate back the sun's heat, the thermometer topped out at 50.5C or 122.9F. Of course now with their canopies covering there is little sun hitting the stone tiles.

Yup. My understanding is that anything over 85 degrees (F) in terms of your leaf temperature and the plant becomes unable to breath and process properly. I

I think maybe the question is not so much one of "can they take it?" as it is "how long can they take it before we start to run into problems?"

know, see my next post about that. I think this temp thing is much more important in a tent grow. We would never let our plants get into the 90s in a tent. You know? But outdoors they don't seem to mind at all most of the time.
For sure, plants can be under stress when various environmental factors have departed from optimum, but cannabis is a very hardy and adaptable plant. Some of those stresses like drought, can cause the plant to increase it's THC and general oil/resin content, just like some culinary herbs like rosemary can do the same. So the stress of a shortage of water can be used to our advantage, stone tiles too! But it is best done during late flowering. Just for shits and giggles, here's somw pics of a couple of balcony plants where dehydration occurred, when they were left without water in the heat of summer for a week, you can see there is a lot of the paving stones exposed and I have no doubt the temperature of the paving would have also reached a similar, 50C/122F in the heat of the days with no water. They look pretty crook there, close to being terminal, but they did recover on being watered, and went on to give me close to 20oz from memory. So they can take a lot, but everything has a kryptonite point, I was lucky that time in avoiding it!

This is them near harvest time

But outdoors they don't seem to mind at all most of the time.
Well that made me laugh. As an outdoor grower, the first 3 pictures show one of those times when I did actually mind! It was my worst fears when I saw them, but they recovered, so thankfully our favourite plant is a hardy plant!

Today was about 27C, the next 10 days is forecast to drop down to 23C. Around mid April when I will harvest the Mango Sherbert I expect the day time temps to be around 20C. But the 3 sativa I am thinking I will harvest more likely early May or possible mid May when the temps will surely be cooler and below 20C. Yes there is something to be said for cooler climes, it can bring the colours out, and my capsicum plants which have struggled with the heat of summer are now suddenly throwing out lotsof capsicums. My main wish here, is that the weather remains supportive of my grow, we haven't had rain for 20 days, and I don't want loads of it now.
Speaking of terpenes evaporating, 2 years ago we had a hot spell after I'd harvested and the concentrated smell of terpenes that seemed to be spilling out from under the door was intense. If I can manage to bring the sativas safely to harvest at least the temps will be cooler when their time comes.

Thanks Tim!

A little while back I actually measured the temperature of the stone tiles of the balcony which absorb and radiate back the sun's heat, the thermometer topped out at 50.5C or 122.9F. Of course now with their canopies covering there is little sun hitting the stone tiles.

For sure, plants can be under stress when various environmental factors have departed from optimum, but cannabis is a very hardy and adaptable plant. Some of those stresses like drought, can cause the plant to increase it's THC and general oil/resin content, just like some culinary herbs like rosemary can do the same. So the stress of a shortage of water can be used to our advantage, stone tiles too! But it is best done during late flowering. Just for shits and giggles, here's somw pics of a couple of balcony plants where dehydration occurred, when they were left without water in the heat of summer for a week, you can see there is a lot of the paving stones exposed and I have no doubt the temperature of the paving would have also reached a similar, 50C/122F in the heat of the days with no water. They look pretty crook there, close to being terminal, but they did recover on being watered, and went on to give me close to 20oz from memory. So they can take a lot, but everything has a kryptonite point, I was lucky that time in avoiding it!

This is them near harvest time

Well that made me laugh. As an outdoor grower, the first 3 pictures show one of those times when I did actually mind! It was my worst fears when I saw them, but they recovered, so thankfully our favourite plant is a hardy plant!
HOLY CRAP!!! What a recovery that was! Wow, I really didn't know they would come back from THAT. Wow. I thought I knew resilient. Damn. Thanks, Stunger. Excellent examples and explanation. Wow.

Update - an extra topdress given to the Mulanje

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Today I added support ties on the Mulanje who had been getting very spread out/flopped out. Because of the plants filling out the balcony, only the door in front of the Mulanje could be opened and only by pushing past the canopy which was concerning me in case it was doing canopy damage. Now, the door opens a 'little' easier.

Mulanje

Last update I commented on how the Mulanje was suddenly experiencing quite a bit of yellowing. I had been carrying out a number of smaller top dressings over the last 2 months, but I decided to give a total of an extra 1/2 cup of Blood n Bone, which I gave 1/4 cup last Friday, and another 1/4 cup on the Saturday (5-6 days ago). She has some thicker more promising 'spears' but so far most of them are on the sparse side. She probably still has at least another 6 weeks to go at a guess.

Mango Sherbert

The Mango Sherbert is looking really nice. It is hard to get a decent pic of her with the sun coming at the camera. I envisage harvesting her in about 4 weeks. Soon I will carry out a droughting period of her. Compared to the Mulanje she remains quite green and not appearing in need of anything.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

There is too much reflection on the glass to get a good pic of her, or her sister to the left of her. She still looks nice and green, but still early in flowering.

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

There is too much reflection to get a good solo pic of her. She continues to look green and well. Her developing buds look especially delicate and pretty.

And lastly I always like to check the view from the side window

Thanks for dropping by, I hope this finds you all keeping well and your gardens blooming! :ganjamon:

And lastly I always like to check the view from the side window
And your plants are doing a great job of hiding that balcony...
Wow, Stunger...those ladies are gorgeous!

Good to see you getting on top of the yellowing brother you seem to be working your magic well.
All the sativas have still got 6 weeks from the looks, the Mulanje and Pan/Hon especially grow very fat heavy flowers.
They will def need support at some time in the future.
The bracts will swell up and fill in the colas big time over the next 6 weeks they are looking good from the pics.

And your plants are doing a great job of hiding that balcony...
Wow, Stunger...those ladies are gorgeous!
Cheers Carcass! As you know, it's all just trying to avoid stuff ups at this stage.
Good to see you getting on top of the yellowing brother you seem to be working your magic well.
All the sativas have still got 6 weeks from the looks, the Mulanje and Pan/Hon especially grow very fat heavy flowers.
They will def need support at some time in the future.
The bracts will swell up and fill in the colas big time over the next 6 weeks they are looking good from the pics.
Thanks Tang! The Mango Sherbert will be ready in 4 weeks, so once I get her off the balcony there will be more room for the 3 sativas. I haven't grown pure sativas before, and so far, the Malawi/Ethiopian & Hon/Pan, both look quite fine to me, and they are in the same soil as the Mulanje, and they appear to be getting their needs met from that soil.

But the Mulanje, who has been my number 1 girl and star of the balcony. I felt she was quite lush herself up until a couple of weeks ago before she then yellowed off quite quickly. She got a 1/2 cup of Blood n Bone 5-6 days ago, so hopefully she will now settle down, but I'll keep an eye on her. It's all experience and learning, hopefully I can gain a better understanding of her needs, so next time I will be able to tend to her better. I checked today in case she had stem fungus problems, or stem damage as the training wire I'd used was much more vicious than what I wanted but there no other choice in stock at the time. But regardless, I couldn't see any evidence of stem damage or fungus. Possibly there might be a root issue but I have no way to check that at this point. I am just guessing she is quite a hungry strain. @tropics made the suggestion to up-pot her earlier in flowering, which I am sure would have been excellent to do, but it just wasn't an option, as if I'd done that the missus wouldn't have let me back in the house if I got soil and mud everywhere carrying out an up-potting like that on that sized plant on my own. I would have had to put the ladder up to the balcony which would have then given the stealth game away! haha.

Your balcony is looking great, and probably starting to smell great! It's good to see you seem to be getting a handle on the Mulanje's yellowing. :thumb:

Cheers Carcass! As you know, it's all just trying to avoid stuff ups at this stage.

Thanks Tang! The Mango Sherbert will be ready in 4 weeks, so once I get her off the balcony there will be more room for the 3 sativas. I haven't grown pure sativas before, and so far, the Malawi/Ethiopian & Hon/Pan, both look quite fine to me, and they are in the same soil as the Mulanje, and they appear to be getting their needs met from that soil.

But the Mulanje, who has been my number 1 girl and star of the balcony. I felt she was quite lush herself up until a couple of weeks ago before she then yellowed off quite quickly. She got a 1/2 cup of Blood n Bone 5-6 days ago, so hopefully she will now settle down, but I'll keep an eye on her. It's all experience and learning, hopefully I can gain a better understanding of her needs, so next time I will be able to tend to her better. I checked today in case she had stem fungus problems, or stem damage as the training wire I'd used was much more vicious than what I wanted but there no other choice in stock at the time. But regardless, I couldn't see any evidence of stem damage or fungus. Possibly there might be a root issue but I have no way to check that at this point. I am just guessing she is quite a hungry strain. @tropics made the suggestion to up-pot her earlier in flowering, which I am sure would have been excellent to do, but it just wasn't an option, as if I'd done that the missus wouldn't have let me back in the house if I got soil and mud everywhere carrying out an up-potting like that on that sized plant on my own. I would have had to put the ladder up to the balcony which would have then given the stealth game away! haha.
Up potting would have made it even bigger ha ha these things are huge bushes if you dont use some control on them.
At least now all its energy will go into making flowers.
All three make HUGE buds brother I think you will be very happy.

Back
Top Bottom