The Comprehensive

Hi SF
I leave the fans on unless they want to die off but that's rare.
After they root I'm gonna lay down some pics of my step by step cloning technique. It differs from alot of people's ideas and thoughts on the matter. I want to have pics of the rooted clones in the photo line up so the peeps can see why I do it the way I do it. I should have that ready next week.
So far on this batch of nine, I'm pretty confident all of them will root.

000_01191.JPG

Now that's some dank looking bud. Seems like it would almost be sacrilegious to smoke those ladies....

*note the word "almost"....hehe :goodjob:

Evolution Of A GrowCab-From The School of hard Knocks
Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat

Now that's some dank looking bud. Seems like it would almost be sacrilegious to smoke those ladies....

*note the word "almost"....hehe :goodjob:

Evolution Of A GrowCab-From The School of hard Knocks
Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat

thanks Mr.P!
That little lady has been cut down and has been curing for the last three weeks. I packed a bowl of her this afternoon and she's a wonderful one hitter quitter with a lovely rich fruity flavor.:yummy:
Church is in session!

Cloning with Orangeblood

Before I begin this part of my thread let me offer these words.
I'm not here to say this is the way to clone your plants and all other methods are garbage. There's a 101 ways to skin a cat and so is the same with cloning. I dont want to step on any toes or argue over this method vs that method. My method is in a perpetual state of evolution and learning. What I've done with this batch may not be exactly what I'll do with the next batch.
This method is probably not for the beginner or the faint of heart. I walk a fine line between complete success and total failure. It's like being the Evel Knievel of pot growing.

So let's begin...
As much as I enjoy the harvest from Mothers and or large plants, the lifeblood of my garden are the clones. The clones are what keeps the jars full year round. Without them my harvest would be erratic at best. Their consistent plant uniformity make it easy to operate a productive perpetual harvest garden while I wait for my large plants to develop.
With all that being said it is mandatory for me to give the proper respects before even one cutting is taken.
3 days prior to taking clones I do a series of prayers to the Almighty. I give thanks for the bountiful harvests and I ask for the blessing of future harvests. I listen to alot of Bob, Toots, Jimmy, Morgan Heritage and King Peter Tosh to get my head right. I also try to be more helpful to strangers and those in a state of misfortune.
Once the blessings are complete the process begins.
Equipment/ products used-
Lights- 55 watt LED for this batch. I've also used T5 and 30 & 125 watt grow light cfls. So far I think my fave is T5.
Machine- Botanicare 25 site aerocloner
Dip- Clonex Gel & Vita Grow
Solution- Clonex
Medium- Rockwool conditioned for 24 hours in Super Soak
Extras- Pro Grip Light Hanger, manicuring scissors(sharpened & sterile), shot glasses, wide mouth rocks glass.
Take note of the absence of ph adjusters and testing meters. This is where alot of you will freak out on my method. I dont bother with PH. There is alot of debate over this # vs that # and quite frankly to me, it's just noise. I have checked it in the past and usually it came out around 6. My clones would root just fine without messing with it so I dont bother with it anymore.

Lights, Camera, Action!
The clones are selected from a healthy and pest free mother. Branches that are closest to the mother's root system do the best for me.
My clones are typically large. At least eight inches long with 5 sets of internodes.
000_01892.JPG

The branch is removed from the mother and the cut end is submerged into the rocks glass filled with clonex solution.
The following cuts are made under water in the rocks glass.
A 45 degree angle cut is made on the stem and at least two sets of leaves are cut off at the internode.
The cut clone is then dipped in a shot glass filled with Vita Grow for 5 seconds.
Then the clone is dipped in a Clonex Gel filled shot glass for 5 seconds
After the dips the clone is inserted into an unwrapped rockwool cube that has been trimmed down to be about the diameter of a quarter.
000_01911.JPG

The rockwool is used for my aero machine because the pump will get the solution so hot it steams. The rockwool allows me to set the pump on a timer to keep the solution cool while still protecting them stem from an air bubble or drying out.
000_0213.JPG

Next the neoprene sleeve is put on just below the first leaf and the clone is inserted into the machine.
All leaves are left on and none are trimmed until the clone goes to veg. This is done so that when the clones is stresed and starts to yellow, it sacrifices those lower leaves first before the fresh shoots are attacked. It also eliminates open wounds above the neoprene collar which can lead to infection.
Day 1 photo
000_01931.JPG

Day 2 photo
000_02071.JPG

000_0212.JPG

Six days after being cut the clones start showing their root clusters.
000_0211.JPG

On day seven they're busting out of the rockwool.
000_0215.JPG

On day eight, all but one clone is rooted and will be ready to transplant in the next 24-48 hours
000_0216.JPG

This is where I walk a very fine line of success and failure. With those roots exposed like that the clone can quickly go into shock and start to wilt. A very close eye must be kept on them to not transplant too early but also not let them dry out.

Other notes on this method
No misting or humidity dome is used.
Area is kept clean and dead plant material is removed when it is discovered.
Regular tap water is used
Light is 18hr on 6 off cycle

Peace my 420 freinds!:Rasta:

Great technique bro! :cheer: I am gonna try bubble cloning this time, but if I get poor results I will switch to using a rockwool cube and just turn the pump on like 15 minutes every hr or so.

:goodjob:+ rep

Thanks for the kind words fellas!:thanks:
I'm going to snap a few more pics today before I pot them up. The clone that blew out the side of the rockwool cube started to wilt the next day and went to transplant early. It looks like it will be fine. I had another one blow up the rockwool but I caught it in time and I actually wrapped it with a rubber band to keep it intact. It will require a delicate surgery to remove the band prior to transplanting but it should be fine.
Even though this technique is dicey and more difficult to get right, I still prefer it over any non-aeroponic method. I love the way the clone is suspended. This allows the roots to grow in a more natural way rather than being forced downward or growing flat on a surface.
I've also used the little peat plugs instead of rockwool. I dont like them because it takes about three days longer for the clones to root and the peat will erode when it's sprayed causing those peat particles to get sucked up by the pump and clog the sprayers.

Yesterday I scored a brand new 2' 4 bulb T5 at 50% off because it had a cosmetic defect so the LED will go back into the bloom hut and the new T5 will work the clone machine.
I'm also getting ready to change my overall nute program from Fox Farm to General Organics. When I use up all of my clonex I'll try this method using the GO organic cloning solutions.:Rasta::peace:

Here are the two final pics of these clones before they go to veg tonight. The first is a pic showing the second clone that blew out it's rockwool. I put the two pieces back together with a rubber band and the clone continues to explode roots from the stem!:yahoo:
Check out that one root piercing it's sisters rockwool sleeve!

The second pic shows the overall health of the group. There's some minor yellowing but overall not too bad. I'll show an update of them 4 days from now and you wont even be able to tell they went thru such a traumatic ordeal.
All in all I would judge this batch to be a success. They rooted under an LED which I have never done before and all nine cuttings are ready for transplant nine days after being cut from Mama. Not too bad at all.
But like most growers, I'm already thinking of ways to make the technique even better!:grinjoint:
000_02391.JPG

000_0236.JPG

Starting this week the transfer to a more organic method of operation will be used in my garden. After debating with myself over which new line to go with between H&G and General Organics, I chose the latter. This line up has me intrigued. They each have their own unique aroma and are not sludge type organics. The consistency is similar to that of Big Bloom. GO also claims that no ph adjustment is needed. The switch should be interesting!:reading420magazine:
000_0229.JPG

Im glad you did. i was wondering about that stuff. I think I may have to try it w/ some soil. not big on hydro organics to be honest. +rep

Oh and you think you can post your buy on my Poll: See What Kind Of Nutes Are Prefered thread? your experience and grow info would definetly be helpful to all of us.
:thanks:

THE BUTCHER

Hi Butcher!
I already put my vote down for Fox Farm a few weeks ago but I will be posting alot of my experiences with this stuff in the product review and here on this thread.
I already have Earth Juice Humic acid so that will be used instead of the Black Diamond when it's called for in the feeding chart.
I'm startng off with the Bio Weed & Bio Marine products but later these may be able to be replaced with the less expensive Alaska fish Emulsion and MaxiCrop Seakelp. I know what the Alaska products can do but I want to see if the GO products are better.
I'm also starting to switch to Air Pots. My test plant is feeding so heavily and drying out so fast that I'm giving her a full gallon of water every 24-36 hours. It's almost like trying to do a manual hydro-organic operation. She has already doubled up on her sister next to her!

I totally understand. As I switch I post my nute switching there as well. I just mean after you've done a grow w/ it. what your thougths and expectatins of it. Thats if you feel up to it once your done w/ a grow using it. aeither way it was a great buy. Icant wait to see how it all comes out. Thanx OrangeBlood

Here again is the weekly pictorial update on all aspects of my garden!

Bloom Hut

000_0242.JPG

000_0243.JPG

250 watt MH veg chamber is home to two solid Mother plant specimens. The air pot plant is ripe for taking clones

000_0241.JPG

New to the operation is a 2' 4bulb T5 HO fixture from Sunlight Supply. It is in use vegging the nine clones from the demo post above. Two clones are in 3 liter air pots for product testing and the other 7 in the small pots will be donated to another grow co/op next week.
000_0240.JPG

:peacetwo::Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom