Relaxed's Outdoor Medical Grow - 2015

Aloha Brothers and Sisters of 420 Magazine! :ciao:

We are going to start right where left off in December with the naturally flowering winter plants. They seem to be growing quite well, even with temperatures in the low 40s at night, they just seem to love it! :surf:

What current strains?: KC-45 "Zilla" Phenotype (clones), Critical, DJ Shorts Blueberry x Santa Maria, Swiss Cheese :yummy:

What will the other strains be later?: Jack Herer, Aurora Ultra, JH x Chem91 x NYCD , and some more strains
that I will announce later on. :surf:

What's in Veg or Flower stage?: 2 Swiss Cheese, 1 JH, 3 KC-45, and 1 BB x SM are in Veg whereas 1 Critical, 1 BB x SM, and 1 KC-45 are in Flower.

How big do the plants get and how do you like to grow them? They don't get very big. I like to grow medium sized, more symmetrical bush-style plants that generally have even/horizontal canopies in the planter bed. I usually do a lot of training to get branches to fit the way I want them in my small and limited growing space.

Indoor or outdoor?: Mainly outside, in winter I use CFLs to vegetate in a small chamber due to the fact the outside conditions do not promote vegetative growth. Everything gets flowered outside, absolutely.

Current hours of daylight?: ~10 Hours

What is in your mix?: Aged recycled forest products, aged rice hulls, composted poultry manure, perlite, peat moss, hydrolyzed feather meal, dehydrated poultry manure, dolomite & oyster shell lime (pH buffers), bat guano, kelp meal, and worm castings. It is a locally made OMRI certified organic soil.

What size pots?: 5-7 gallon pots

General temperature range?: Winter temps are basically 40-70 degrees Fahrenheit.

How's the humidity?: Generally it's very high all the time, but we're in a dry spell right now.

Concerned about pests?: I'm concerned. Especially about moths and their larval stages. Plant inspections are crucial. It can be difficult to avoid them, but when due diligence pays off it can be pretty rewarding. Other concerns relate to soil pests such as fungus gnats and root aphids, which can be a big problem for a really rich organic soil. Just something to keep monitoring.

How often are you watering?: Roughly once a week for the plants in Veg. I don't dare water the naturally flowering plants until they tell me they are ready. Letting them dry out a bit compared to over-watered is vital to keeping them growing great, especially at the lower temperatures. There will be less water molecules in the plants blood (xylem sap), and so the solution gets more concentrated and lowers the freezing point. Watering at the right time is so important.

Type and strength of ferts used?: I do play around with my D&S Step 1,2,3. The mycorrhizae is good for transplants, and I like to have a fast-action Nitrogen dominant fertilizer on hand so the Step 2 I sometimes use for a little boost in Veg (even though it's not organic). However in general I stick to completely organic fertilizers by Dr. Earth. I like to make probiotic teas that have different types of bacteria. I use the 10-3-1 bat guano tea for vegetation, and the 4-5-4 meal/seed based tea for flower transition. And then solution grade bat guano 0-8-1 for deep flower. Problem with the heavy-duty organics are just the bugs love to tag along and make a kingdom down below and eat the sugars that are in the roots, so it's just important to fend off the bugs and monitor when serving these teas.

Here's a few pics to get this journal on track :ciao:

In order from front to back: KC-45, Critical, BB x SM
IMG_20141231_132648.jpg

(Reversed Order)
IMG_20141231_132709.jpg

A bit of a blurry "classic shot" here, I like this one because it shows how hardy the KC-45 is. Even in such cold temperatures, she's putting on a decent cola. Little Critical flowers in the front.
IMG_20141231_132709_-_Copy.jpg

I'll do a more formal/cohesive update with some more pics later on this weekend or so. :ciao:

I got the lounge on the deck with fang. Way cool.

Great! Caught the beginning of this one. Gonna pull up a hammock, pop a brew, take a toke, relax and let Lester and put on a green show!!

I got the lounge on the deck with fang. Way cool.
Great spot :high-five: :bravo:
Damn. Bill got the lounge. But I still get to sit next to a MOTM. :passitleft:
Haha, Aloha brother! :ciao: Happy New Year :Namaste:

subbed.
Have a very blessed new year.
Mahalo, and you as well! :Namaste:

Happy New Year RL. Cool..sitting next to Mr. T. Looking forward to it RL...really enjoyed the 2014 & learned some things too.
Happy New Year! :) Thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed your journal too. :circle-of-love:

I'm in! I'll save a seat for BAR, he won't want to miss this one. :yahoo::popcorn:
Good idea ;) And welcome aboard :welcome:
Is this what page one looks like? :blunt:
I know, right? :wood: :laugh:

... I still got here in time for front row ... :thumb:
Aloha brotha! :welcome:
Great! Caught the beginning of this one. Gonna pull up a hammock, pop a brew, take a toke, relax and let Lester and put on a green show!!
Hi there Bangabong :hug: :thanks:

hell ya Relaxed,I was hoping you would start one and I can get in on it early

sitting down and learning:Namaste:

Welcome aboard! :surf: :ciao:

Lester ,I just drool every time I see your plants. So I'll be drooling for the next 3 months while I'm waiting for my spring start. :bravo::cheer::peace:

Hi Boz, the fellow forcer, glad to see you pop by on occasion. Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoy the pictures. :Namaste:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update

A few comments before the pictures. All is splendid. Plants taking quite well to the cold temperatures. The flowers on the KC-45 original Zilla clone are turning purple and putting out compact buds. The Critical flowers ARE purple and are putting out dense little flowers. BB x SM is behind because I put into flower at a later time. There are 5 plants in flower now. KC-45, Critical, 2 BB x SM, and 1 Swiss Cheese (all female of course). Two of them I just put in today, so will take some time to catch up. Vegging plants looking good, still working on new sprouts for Spring. Alright here we go :surf:

Critical
IMG_44152.JPG
IMG_44202.JPG

KC-45 Original Zilla clone
IMG_44212.JPG
IMG_44234.JPG

A couple of misc. glory shots
IMG_44181.JPG
IMG_44245.JPG

Full tent :)
IMG_44275.JPG

Little baby Jack Herer on the left and 3 KC-45 (clones of clones) under CFLs
IMG_44282.JPG

Some of the recently harvested KC-45 in the curing jar. Smells phenomenal. :yummy:
IMG_44301.JPG

Aloha, folks :peace:

WOW - those buds are worth a bump. :yikes: Beautiful. Old Zilla and her offspring have really done the business for you, Lester. Interested to watch the Jack Herer too - I've been catching up on the history of hemp and being a complete naive I must admit to knowing nothing about Jack and his work until I watched a couple of movies about him. So now, of course, I fancy growing one. Or two. :):goof:

Thanks for the update. Have a great day, RL. :circle-of-love:

Of course Im in man, pulling out my chair and buckle up, ready to see some amazing flowers :yahoo::yahoo:

happy new year Lester great start
:peace:

Aloha danish and Happy New Year, welcome aboard! :ciao:

Good evening weed Lester. I'm so jealous of you growing outside in the winter. Looking really good by the way. Could you go over the danishoes journal and look at one of his girls. It's weird Indicas Grow & Experimenting Genetics Part II - Winter Indoor Organic Grow
Happy Days buddy
Good Mornings Herb Bee. It feels nice to have a full planter in January, hopefully they kick into gear and flower hard enough there's no going back. :Namaste: Popped by danish's grow and subbed up ;) :thanks:

WOW - those buds are worth a bump. :yikes: Beautiful. Old Zilla and her offspring have really done the business for you, Lester. Interested to watch the Jack Herer too - I've been catching up on the history of hemp and being a complete naive I must admit to knowing nothing about Jack and his work until I watched a couple of movies about him. So now, of course, I fancy growing one. Or two. :):goof:

Thanks for the update. Have a great day, RL. :circle-of-love:

Howdy Mr Teddy and thank you kindly. Sister Zilla was really a necessary supplement to the year. Excited to move onto some new strains and all but I just can't turn my back on how beautiful of a grower the KC-45 is. :morenutes: :)

Hi Lester! Awesome start to the new journal! I was wondering when you were going to start a new one; of course you'd wait for the new year :) subbed.

Reading about your soil pest worries, have you considered adding crustacean/crab meal and neem cake to your mix (I'm quite sure you already use kelp meal so I left that out, but these 3 really combine to make a trifecta of soil pest prevention/elimination for anyone else interested) or using them as a top dressing combined with kelp meal? I recently caught on to this thanks to COorganics and his shares about Living Organics/organic IPM and its really been a game changer for me. gnats started showing up in my grow room a while ago, just one or two I'd notice per visit. Then lately when I stopped letting my soil dry out between waterings (this is very important to LOS growing.. dry soil = dead microbes) they really started getting out of my control fast, and those 1-2 turned into a dozen or so >.< ...

Well just the other week I finally got my ahimsa neem cake, crustacean meal (I'd share the brand but it came in an unmarked ziplock baggy hahah) and some down to earth kelp meal. I top dressed all my plants with them at equal parts (and another part of oyster shell flour but thats not part of the organic IPM) then watered them in, and 2 days later it was like a gnat graveyard. I still find one every few visits but, wow, what a difference. My only blog post is about this and what I learned when I dug deeper into the why's and how's about it... basically, you're providing chitinases (enzymes that break down chitin - what insect eggshells and shells are made of) and a natural source of neem oil which both destroy soil pest eggs and break the cycle - not to mention they fire up terpene/terpenoid development by signalling to the plants that they're under attack and need to build up their defenses, on top of being fantastic organic fertilizers already. ....still wondering why soil pests don't like kelp meal - but if Clackamas Coot says they do - they do :laughtwo:

Just thought I'd speak up, after all the first place I ever read about organic IPM was in your last journal, when you were talking about SNS uh... the systemic one. So yeah... I thought it'd be right up your alley. Hope you'll give it a shot, I don't think I'll ever leave those 3 ingredients out of my soil again :)

Happy Shatterday, hope your holidays were awesome and relaxed my friend :love:

P.S. by the way while I'm here, I've been having an isolated issue with mealybugs on one of my plants. Do you have any experience/know anyone with experience with these on cannabis? I've honestly never heard of another grower having them. >.<

Back
Top Bottom