How's that chiller working? I'm getting ready to set up 14 hole NFT system for sweet peppers. It's going to be outside so if this chiller works that would be cool.

I'm curious too Wiz, how is that chiller holding up?

Eureka!!!! I got it. I know how it works. When the lid is sealed on tight the air pressure builds up and inturn that air remains cold from the ice packs which keeps the water at cooler temps and the ice packs stay frozen much longer. Brilliant :)

Yea it works out pretty Good I'd say! The more ice packs and frozen ice water the better. I know it last a whole day like this. Im working with 18-20 gallons of water so thats good to me. :)

Yes wizz you on the gorilla too? Get some pictures of the sneaky spot when they growing. Got mine growing indoor first until they strong enough to look after themselves. Love doing it out doors, they turn into absolute beasts.

Cant wait to see them mate :)

Ill take pictures when I go visit the sites tonight. Im going to buy some of those reflector thingys to put on the ground so when I use my flash light I know where to go. The secrete glowing trail just brilliant :)

PS there are more rocks then dirt around my area so I felt like I was rock climbing at the same time. Now I really want ot go mountain and rock climbing haven't done so in a while

good weed O Wizard of weed:)

Good Weed Sir Fish. Hope your enjoying your weekend!

That's Hella cool! It beats the hell out of buying a chiller! The price of those things is RIDICULOUS!

I never looked one up before. It lasted a whole day just off of 6 ice packs. so amagine if i used 10+..... :)
Im happy that I came up with this chiller idea because I don't like running my AC so much. It pulls 1540w & the system plus lights uses another 1000w. That's to much to come from an apt to me any way. Besides that my building has smart meters. I'd like to keep my electricity usage around average.

I tweaked my hydro set its alot better and will insure root protection, o2 and less chances of getting root rot

that sounds very cool. The ice packs, are they the typical one that are around 2" x 4" x 7" something like that anyway. I will be having this outside in the sun so a few more might be needed but that sounds pretty good.

that sounds very cool. The ice packs, are they the typical one that are around 2" x 4" x 7" something like that anyway. I will be having this outside in the sun so a few more might be needed but that sounds pretty good.

I used half quart water bottles. Just your average water bottles frozen. Just make sure the lid is sealed on completely and there are no air leaks. For when the water recirculates back threw the cooler it stays cooled and the water temps will drop every time the water runs threw the chiller.

I should draw up a blueprint or youtube video of how it should work & look

BLUE: Frozen Ice Packs/Water

YELLOW: Pressure build up which pushes the water down and into the main res

PINK:Connectors/Disconnect parts as well as drainage

When using DIY chiller make sure the flow valve is off so the water from the main res will not back flow into the chiller before filling with ice and ice packs. Once filled connect the straight valve which is shown top of diagram in "PINK" then tightly close the lid. Once full pressure build up is reached you then can open the flow valve to the main res. Remember make sure there are no air leaks in the chiller.

P.S. You can modify this any way you like. I was thinking of adding a 20-30gal water pump to the chiller for pushing the water back up and out into the main res instead of the original drawing which is just a cheaper way to do it. To get down to the basics of it your just creating & maintaining a cold environment.

IMG_1386_1_.JPG

:wood::wood:sup Wiz
good weed to you buddy:)

good weed wizard O weed:circle-of-love:

Thanks Jon, yea I see you have your hands full with your journal massive amount of plants. I've been planting outside all around my area taking cuttings etc. hope to have like 20 plants planted in different spots all around town. Bugs are eating my babies up though. Next time I visit the spots I will leave some SNS behind so I don't have to carry all this stuff constantly. So it's just all veg over here boring stuff :)

Fine Weed to you Sir Fish. I still haven't made your special chilli yet. So I found out I suffer from OCD, Panic & Arographobia which sucks because I lose my appitite very often. Worry worry worry so I've been stepping up my gardening since it keeps me busy and clears my mid of worry. I need to go back to exercising as well. Didn't mean to bore you with my health issues in the morning hahaha

The doctors ask me if I was feeling sucidel or homicidle i felt like that was the biggest trick question ever. Like you really cant expect to get a honest answer from anyone Lmao hahahahahaha

morning Wiz and a good weed to ya. I like vegging. To me it's the time they are happy and healthy. Growing like crazy and reaching for the sun. Don't get me wrong flowering is the special time and that's when we get the most excited. The excitement is what we all want.

hey Wizster

I was curious about the chiller too since I've had to start putting frozen water bottles into my res.

I went back and reread what you've posted about it. It might also help to insulate it. Wrap it with mylarized bubble wrap perhaps?

Let me make sure I understand how your system works...
You have a separate bucket with an air stone that you put a bunch of ice packs (bottles?), then circulate your res solution through it, right? How is this different from putting the ice directly into the reservoir and recirculating in there? Sorry if I'm being dumb. Won't be the last time! :winkyface: I'm just not seeing the advantage of the added complexity.

Edit addition:

You did just make me decide to close up the top of my res. I normally leave it open, but perhaps it would help to keep that airspace static, and cooled. I also need to wrap my res in some insulation per my own advice. :rofl:

morning Wiz and a good weed to ya. I like vegging. To me it's the time they are happy and healthy. Growing like crazy and reaching for the sun. Don't get me wrong flowering is the special time and that's when we get the most excited. The excitement is what we all want.

Beemerbill Fine weed!

Yea I didnt know how many growers actually like vegging. I like it because its the time you can do the most for your plants after you flip them then its like there on auto pilot. Vegging is definitely my favorite.

Hey Wiz, just sending out invite to my new journal heres the link bro.
Jon705's Multi Strain HPS LED Hybrid System
hope to see you there:)

You know ill be over there. Gotta keep up with the family. You might be doing something new that I need to learn. All the progress for starters :thumb:

hey Wizster

I was curious about the chiller too since I've had to start putting frozen water bottles into my res.

I went back and reread what you've posted about it. It might also help to insulate it. Wrap it with mylarized bubble wrap perhaps?

Let me make sure I understand how your system works...
You have a separate bucket with an air stone that you put a bunch of ice packs (bottles?), then circulate your res solution through it, right? How is this different from putting the ice directly into the reservoir and recirculating in there? Sorry if I'm being dumb. Won't be the last time! :winkyface: I'm just not seeing the advantage of the added complexity.

Edit addition:

You did just make me decide to close up the top of my res. I normally leave it open, but perhaps it would help to keep that airspace static, and cooled. I also need to wrap my res in some insulation per my own advice. :rofl:

Hey Hiker any question is a great question, ok where should I start.....ummmmmm

You actually could put the frozen bottles in your main res but then you can only fit a certain amount in there as well as the water levels in the site res's will rise more then you like and possibly over flow with all the build up of pressure trying to escape. All depending on how much water your working with and where the let out notches are. Mine where half way but the water level in the site res's were up to the neck of the pots. almost over flowing

Also the water coming into the main res isnt enough time for the air to stay cool since its being replace with warm water/air coming in. Which all depends on how much water and lights your using. Then you dont want to keep having to remove the lid on the main res for what ever reason because the cool air will escape and your now back to square one.

The key to the whole chiller is the air. Its not only for the pressure to simply push the water out if your not using a water pump but the air surrounding the frozen bottles will remain cool and it will keep the frozen bottles frozen as well as the water coming in the cool air will get a head start on cooling the water at the same time its running over the frozen bottles. So that way its not melting the frozen bottles as it would if it was just sitting in the main res. Technically there shouldnt be more then a gallon inside the chiller if its ran at full performance. Faster the water coming in it needs to be going out. It works just like a regular chiller. Hope that sums it up and makes since.

A Great Weed to you Wiz:)

Hi Wiz. I love veg time too and I love sprout time too! New life.

Guerrilla growing in town? :bravo:

It's alot harder gorilla growing in the city then out in a country area. I pretty much find woods out by the highways or neighborhoods. I'm only able to visit them at night though since houses are around most of these areas. Last time I checked some of the sites yet are doing fine. Been alot f raining as well so that's a good thing I don't have to ale water with me.

A Great Weed to you Wiz:)

WHATS UP SIUUERRRR!!! (Pineapple Express line) :)

Fine Weed to you bredrins

Back
Top Bottom