1 x 1200 W LED or 2 x 600W LED for my 4x4 grow?

SSunshine

420 Member
I have recently purchased 1 Bestva Elite 1200W and 2 Bestva Elite 600W lights. I'm assuming that 2x600W are the same as using 1x1200W for my 4x4 tent. My rational is that all things being equal the 2x600W LED option allows me to spread out the light better or if some plants grow taller than the others I can hang them at different levels. First, is this logic sound? Second, does this sound like the right amount of light for my 4x4 tent?

The Bestva "Elite 1200w" is only a 257.6-watt device. The "Elite 600w" is only a 132-watt device. The three of them total 521.6 watts. You have 16 ft.2 to illuminate. The rule of thumb for HIDs and shitty blurple LED panels is a minimum of 30 watts per square foot for vegetative/growth phase, and a minimum of 50 watts per square foot for flowering (photoperiodic plants; for autoflowering plants, you can get by with less, since you'll be running the lights 18 or more hours per day). If you hang all three LED panels in your tent in such a way that the light distribution is even... You will have 32.6 watts per square foot. That'd be okay for the vegetative/growth phase.

By the way, I just looked around on the Bestva website, and I keep reading that their products have "Samsum" LEDs in them :rofl:. I am unsure whether Joe Chinaman needs a spellchecker - or that's an attempt to keep Samsung from suing their ass.

Welcome to the forum @SSunshine :welcome:
So the 1200W Bestva Elite COB is reviewed as being equal to 1000W HPS. Is this utter nonsense?
The only thing equal to a 1000 watt HPS :hmmmm: is another 1000 watt HPS :rofl:

Has to be LED? Because a 1,000-watt HPS would kick some serious ass in a 4'x4' grow space, assuming a quality air-cooled reflector (preferably on its own ventilation run instead of a shared one with the general grow space environment). A 600-watt one would be "light," if you'll pardon the pun, and is really suited for a square meter (10.7639 ft.2).

It's possible to replicate the performance of a 1Kw HID, across the same area - but it's going to cost more money (often, considerably more). And there aren't any LED solutions that have flanges for connecting directly to ventilation duct work (unless you count the one or two models that have an MSRP well in excess of $1,000, and I don't know if they're still being produced), so you'd have to ventilate the entire space with one run (which is less than perfect, for a few reasons).

Here are some threads on the subject. As you read them (and others, presumably), remember that one person's "great" might only be another person's "good enough," so to speak. As in all things in life, YMMV applies.

Also, check out our list of forum sponsors. There are several LED companies on it. Doing business with one will help one of the companies that help keep this forum in operation. More importantly to you, probably, is that some of them will have pretty good lighting for sale, and should be able to recommend a product (or a combination of products) that will perform well in your space. Two that I can think of are Mars Hydro (their products have come a long way since their blurple beginnings) and Budget LED.

And there's always the option to build your own. Whether it's something that utilizes newer Samsung components, COBs (one COB per square foot, running at 50 watts per, will give you even coverage and copious amounts of light), or something else.

There are lots of DIY and general LED discussion threads. I used a web-search engine to do a quick site-search, and have not looked over the results. Hopefully, you will get some use out of them. They also might help you find some members who know far more about the subject than I do, lol. Here you go (in no particular order):

(might want to start at the end and work your way backwards on this one)

That ought to keep you busy for a little while ;) .

There are lots of DIY and general LED discussion threads. I used a web-search engine to do a quick site-search, and have not looked over the results. Hopefully, you will get some use out of them. They also might help you find some members who know far more about the subject than I do, lol. Here you go (in no particular order):

(might want to start at the end and work your way backwards on this one)

That ought to keep you busy for a little while ;) .

Thankyou for all the great reading. I'm up here in Canada. What do you think about this product?

I know that you said that I would need 800 true watts of LED power to light up my 4x4 grow. This product looks like the quality that you were suggesting. The manufacturer says it covers a 4x4 footprint for flowering. Thinking that I could get away with this one for my 4x4. Is it enough?

Welcome to the forum @SSunshine :welcome:

The only thing equal to a 1000 watt HPS :hmmmm: is another 1000 watt HPS :rofl:
I realize you believe this; but I sure don't. I think LED's have come a long way & can do every bit as good as HPS without the heat. I wish we both had a seed from the same breeder pack so we could do a comparison grow. I believe our yields would be nearly the same.
Seems like this is one area we always disagree. However, seems we do agree on pretty much everything else. It's all good though. You're still one of my favorite people on this site. I like your knowledge & how you try to help everyone. I also like the way you calm heated situations down between members. That alone deserves a High 5.

I realize you believe this; but I sure don't. I think LED's have come a long way & can do every bit as good as HPS without the heat. I wish we both had a seed from the same breeder pack so we could do a comparison grow. I believe our yields would be nearly the same.
Seems like this is one area we always disagree. However, seems we do agree on pretty much everything else. It's all good though. You're still one of my favorite people on this site. I like your knowledge & how you try to help everyone. I also like the way you calm heated situations down between members. That alone deserves a High 5.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I said to myself, self, I bet Buds is going to say something about this comment :rofl::rofl::rofl: ...I'm actually waiting on some LEDs...if the snail mail will get it here...also waiting on some MC to show up also...so maybe :high-five:

What do you think Buds Bunny. Is this a good set up for a 4x4 tent?
Lighting wise it would work. But consider the size of the light & the height you need to keep it at. Leaves you less then a foot on 2 sides & 14" on the other 2 sides to work around.
I've become a fan of Mars Hydro Lights. I think they are the best bang for the buck.
2 of the new SP 3000's would kick ass in a 4' x 4' tent & give you plenty of room to work on your plants (Feeding, LST, etc.).
Type in Mars Hydro on the home page & go to the contest. Hell, enter the contest if you have a pic.
Last day to enter is today.
@SmokeSara is the Mars Hydro Sponsor.

Hi I am currently running 1 Phlizon 1200 watt LED & 1 Phlizon 600watt LED IN my 4x4 tent I have 3 bag seeds in veg now hopefully get some decent size yields I’ll keep posted

Back
Top Bottom