1st Grow - Fabzster - MarsLED - Bubbleponics - Bubba Kush, Confidential Cheese - 2017

Re: 1st Grow - Fabzster - MarsLED - Bubbleponics - Bubba Kush, Confidential Cheese -

They still look great! Bag Seedling #1 in that shot above looks almost like a paper cutout model of a pot seedling it's so perfect. They're just reaching up for more light!

Completely agree with Scientific, # 1 looks near perfect in my humble opinion. Looking good man!

So you both are obviously detail-oriented people. Any tips on setting up my grow that will make life easier? Maybe marks on the inside of the reservoir so that I can guesstimate how much to put back in?

Re: 1st Grow - Fabzster - MarsLED - Bubbleponics - Bubba Kush, Confidential Cheese -

One more question: Help me wrap my head around how to add water(and nutrients) when I need to add water. What should I do if I need to just bring the ph down? Sorry to be so dense, but I've tried to kill enough plants that it would be nice to watch them thrive from day one

So you both are obviously detail-oriented people. Any tips on setting up my grow that will make life easier? Maybe marks on the inside of the reservoir so that I can guesstimate how much to put back in?

See post #90 in my log for a photo of Fabster's elegant reservoir sight glass. Failing that, there's always the old ruler or dipstick. ;)

You can, and many people do, just set up your reservoir, then top off with pH'd water to maintain the level until your next weekly reservoir change. After the plant gets big, though, you'd need some pretty concentrated nutrients to get you through the week. In my experience, that was too concentrated. I am currently making mine up 1/2 of General Hydroponics' recommended strength and topping off with nutrient solution. I need 2.5 gallons for my reservoir but make up 5 gallons so I have some for rinse and a couple of gallons for top-off.

I started out just squirting pH Up or pH Down right into the res. Now I dilute it first and I try to add it slowly so as not to shock the system. General Hydroponics recommends that rather than trying to stay at one pH number (like 5.8 as I was trying to do), that you let the pH drift between 5.5 and 6.5 or even 7. Most hydro nutes are formulated ("chelated") so they work at a broad range of pHs.

Really, if you have a pH meter and a PPM/EC meter and just take measurements every day, you quickly get to see what works and what doesn't and can kind of evolve your own system.

See post #90 in my log for a photo of ....

I'm headed there now. Thanks for the sharing of your experience and wisdom. So nice to have so much info in one response. I got a lot of reading to do. I'm in the middle of my first flowering in coco and trying to get something started vegging in hydro for the next grow. I'm on week 4 for a couple plants and week 8 for one. I absolutely love the knowledge!

Thanks for the sharing of your experience and wisdom.
Experience I'm slowly accumulating. Wisdom maybe someday... But I really enjoy talking about this stuff and have learned a lot by sharing experiences with people who are doing the same. And of course it's all a lot of fun. :)

See post #90 in my log for a photo of Fabster's elegant reservoir sight glass. Failing that, there's always the old ruler or dipstick. ;)

I actually almost went the "Dipstick" method but my reservoir is wider at the top and tapers slightly at the bottom, I had to add a water mark it at different levels to make sure it reflected the correct level, I then double checked by removing water.

I could not imagine trying to balance holding the lid open with one hand, trying to get an accurate reading with a flashlight in the dark lol.

hahaha I still laugh at how you explained it .

I started out just squirting pH Up or pH Down right into the res. Now I dilute it first and I try to add it slowly so as not to shock the system.

I have always been adding directly and it seems to be fine, perhaps it's as you have stated previously with regards to my reservoir being larger.

Completely agree with Scientific, # 1 looks near perfect in my humble opinion. Looking good man!

Thanks man, much appreciated. I have seen many people add a line on the inside of the reservoir. I personally think that would be a mission to see that, you would have to lift the lid (and bigger the plant the harder that is) and try get a level with all the root mass in the way.
All you need is

2x grommets
1x piece of 4mm tubing
2x 90 degree elbow joiners

Once you mount that as the water rises in the res so does the water in the tubing, the next thing you have to do is add water, measure and mark on a piece of paper, once that's done fix the markings to the reservoir.Once you create a template for the markings you will never have to work it out for the same type of reservoir. Now if you lose water you can just look and exactly how much.

I have always been adding directly and it seems to be fine, perhaps it's as you have stated previously with regards to my reservoir being larger.

Yeah, I think a big reservoir with good circulation and not to much added at one time would be just fine. I read someone hear say not to do it and I think I got a little obsessive. I am more and more coming to the conclusion that bigger is better with regard to reservoirs. (Though I think I'm starting to repeat myself. ;))

Lets see your res. I can show you a few pics for water level.

420-magazine-mobile701734275.jpg
420-magazine-mobile636965611.jpg

The grocery tie was my refill start line.
I would use blue hose if it was any longer than what i have here.
Gauge

27-05-2017

Changed the res, added week 3 Nutes @1/2 Strength (7ml per 25L Micro,Veg & Bloom) whith some epsom salts @17g per 25L

Res Temp 20.2 C
pH 6.72
µS 597
ppm 298

Lowered pH to 5.8

2017-05-27_14_17_53_resize.jpg
2017-05-27_14_17_37_resize.jpg

28-05-2017

06:30

Res Temp 20.3 C
pH 6.28
µS 603
ppm 302

18:42

Res Temp 21.8 C
pH 6.28
µS 607
ppm 304

2017-05-28_15_32_25_resize.jpg
2017-05-28_15_32_11_resize.jpg

29-05-2017

06:37

Res Temp 21.8 C
pH 6.32
µS 609
ppm 304

Bag Seedlings seem to be yellowing a bit, growth is still stunted :(

Confidential seedling seems to be drooping slightly :(

2017-05-29_06_38_44_resize.jpg
2017-05-29_06_38_39_resize.jpg

17:14

Res Temp 21.4 C
pH 6.27
µS 612
ppm 304

Adjusted pH to 5.7

Confidential Seedling is drooping a lot all of a sudden, not sure what is going on. It was looking pretty good this morning.

Roots have an off white, cream, slightly tan colour and the reservoir smells good (no funkiness). So I am not sure if this may be the start of root rot.
2017-05-29_17_30_33.JPG
2017-05-29_17_30_32.JPG

Added 10ml H202 to the reservoir as a precautionary action and switched the lighting to 18/6 to give it a little down time.

2017-05-29_17_14_18_resize.jpg
2017-05-29_17_26_22_resize.jpg

The new growth on your Confidential looks fine. Be careful not to love your plants to death... ;)

Three recommendations FWIW:
1. Stop adding epsom salts. I don't think the sulfate moiety is going to do any good and it may hurt. If you need extra magnesium, use a balanced CaMg source. Ca and Mg are in the same period of the periodic table and their levels affect one another as I understand it, and since Mg is a key component of chlorophyll, you want to get that right.
2. Stop adding hydrogen peroxide. It's highly reactive, toxic, and thus can alter the balance of the bacteria in your tank, if not kill them completely. The guiding principle is not to just throw stuff at the problem but to be strategic. (Sorry if that sounds blunt.)
3. Start adding HydroGuard, a beneficial bacteria culture that has a good rep for protecting your reservoir.

Finally, make sure your tank has lots of aeration and circulation.

Just my .02... Good luck.

Fabs,
Just little advice. You got to stop changing light cycles or you are going to raise a bunch of Hermies. Your plants are going to become confused on wether its summer or fall and just try to impregnate themselves. You don't want that. You want females. Your roots look great. If you choose to run a "sterile" (as you can get it) res than H2o2 is fine as I'm sure you are using 3%.
I use Z7 but hydro guard works well. Too expensive for me. These work by coating the roots with critters that clean the roots and poop stuff that the plants eat so its a symbiotic relationship that helps when your res temps gets too high. Cant use H2o2 and these products.
No need for any nutritional supplements at this point, your nutes have more than enough even at 50%. Good job at keep ing your PPM at under 500. Personally i wouldn't go above that until 6-7 weeks and never over 700ppm. Remember if you are using tap water you have to account for the waters PPM. Water ppm + nute PPM. Nute ppm never above 700.
Good job on your PH. Remember PH is effected by water temp. I always let my water warm to room temp before mixing notes so i don't have wild swings. If you use tap, ph up or down first then mix. I know my res and plants will make my ph rise so i let it be at 4-5 and by the next day it will be at 6. Kentucky windage if you know what i mean.
Bring your water level way up. Just under your net pots. You only have a few stings into a root mass in the res. Lets get some more roots out of those plants.

Don't tell, don't sell, no smell!

You are doing fine. Check out my grow as i have successful experience growing hydro and want you to be successful.

Gauge

Just a few comments...

If you choose to run a "sterile" (as you can get it) res than H2o2 is fine as I'm sure you are using 3%.

Pouring disinfecting chemicals into your reservoir when there's no infection does not seem like the best course to me. Rather than prophylactically dosing with a bactericide, the better course to me would be to create an environment in your reservoir in which that's not necessary. Lots of aeration, lots of circulation, plenty of space, not too hot.

These work by coating the roots with critters that clean the roots and poop stuff that the plants eat so its a symbiotic relationship that helps when your res temps gets too high. Cant use H2o2 and these products.
Having a thriving culture of beneficial bacteria helps to keep the organisms you don't want from getting established.

If you use tap, ph up or down first then mix.
That runs contrary to everything I have ever read, which recommends mixing your nutes first, then adjusting pH.

I use tap water as well and I ph first then I'll check my ppm then I'll add nutes as needed. I have well water so I only run a max of 1/4 strength keeps me around 500 600 ppm at 6.3ph it sounds stupid but with tap I always check my ppm before I add nutes. And I only top off my res with just ph water.

Just a few comments...

Pouring disinfecting chemicals into your reservoir when there's no infection does not seem like the best course to me. Rather than prophylactically dosing with a bactericide, the better course to me would be to create an environment in your reservoir in which that's not necessary. Lots of aeration, lots of circulation, plenty of space, not too hot.

Having a thriving culture of beneficial bacteria helps to keep the organisms you don't want from getting established.

That runs contrary to everything I have ever read, which recommends mixing your nutes first, then adjusting pH.

Well, i am here to help not tell him what i read.

Two methods for a res. Try keeping it as sterile as possible, or introduce beneficial bacteria. Your opinion is one course of action. If my res never got above 65F i wouldn't run any beneficial bacteria.
At 3% H202 in the amounts he added in his rez size, he couldn't possibly hurt anything anyway. If it makes him feel better about his res why question his technique. He is actually growing Hydro.
Lots of aeration? how much is lots? excessive aeration may cause PH issues due to excessive oxygenation. RX green solutions for example recommends gentle agitation vs air stones. So when you recommend lots, what does that mean?
I made my recommendations based on his set up and data he supplied. All of what you have said is not incorrect, but either is mine. My results however speak for themselves. 1.48 ozs from 31 watts per sq foot.

420-magazine-mobile1602707403.jpg

I do appreciate your bold convictions however.

Gauge

Back
Top Bottom