1st Grow - Soil - CFL - High DIY Level

Thanks for the encouragement. No worries about me getting down over mistakes ;) They are the most valuable thing in life, if one cares to learn from them. This grow of bagseed was intended to learn from .. and thus I experiment a bit with what I can do to these girls without killing them.

I'm experimenting and learning .. and having a lot of fun in the proces :) I've been smoking it for about 20 years now .. and given what I learned about local growing methods, I'll grow my own from now on. I'll get a good setup eventually, and in the mean time. I'm having great fun learning, watching others grow, and seeing some results in my low-cost DIY experiment.

I want to know if my less then ideal conditions will yield better stuff then the 8-days-of-veg-then-flower-too-short crap I can buy here, so I cant really loose ;)

Always remember that any mistake that you learn from, is a mistake worth making.

And seeing recovery on Benjamin is great news, keep us updated!

And when you start your next grow, just think how much easier it'll be, and how much better your plants will be. I mean hell, your plants now were beastly. I was amazed how big they got under CFLs. And it still looks like all your efforts will pay off with some nice buds :D

I seriously can't wait to see the bud pictures, it looks like you're really going to have a decent harvest.

Like I said; they are the most valuable things in life, if you care to learn from them. So yeah, I love making them when they deepen my insight. Thanks for all the encouragement guys :)

:thanks:

Day 55

Plant 1; looking great, almost 3 weeks into flowering iirc
20140425_004015.jpg

20140425_004036.jpg

Plant 2; strugling, but still signs of life
20140425_004102.jpg

20140425_004203.jpg

20140425_004232.jpg

Benjamin; giving up hope .. still some signs of life tho ... if you look really good ...
20140425_004252.jpg

20140425_004332.jpg

Plant 1 is demonic :D She's going to be your big producer for sure. Nothing can kill her! Treat her right, and she'll take care of you. And 3 weeks into flower.. I think you should just be flushing/using plain water now? It depends how long she flowers for.. IIRC, it's 1-2 weeks before harvest

I'd also keep all 3 going. I see the new growth on Benjamin. Just don't give up on those 2 girls, they still could give you a nice few buds between the 2 of them, which for a DIY first grow is worth it to me.

Plant 1 is demonic :D She's going to be your big producer for sure. Nothing can kill her! Treat her right, and she'll take care of you. And 3 weeks into flower.. I think you should just be flushing/using plain water now? It depends how long she flowers for.. IIRC, it's 1-2 weeks before harvest

I'd also keep all 3 going. I see the new growth on Benjamin. Just don't give up on those 2 girls, they still could give you a nice few buds between the 2 of them, which for a DIY first grow is worth it to me.

I think I'm about 5 weeks away from harvest, altho I'm gonna let the girls decide, and not a set date, unless I come too close to my vacation.

As long as I see growth, I'll let them be. I might even devcide to try and re-veg Benjamin ... move her outside, have her try to survive outside till my vacation is over, and then either clone her and go from there, or flower her. But first I want to see some recovery.

Any gram they deliver, is 12 euro's saved .. so I'll leave them be :) If the buds are not worth it to smoke them, I can always QWISO them ;)

Sorry about no pictures yesterday .. not much change .. the new growth on both #2 and Benjamin was still there, looking good. The stalks are drying up just below what where the tops .. I pruned two of them .. they where hanging and about dry .. no point in the plant wasting energy on what small path there remains.

I'll update with pics when the lights are on again.

About the diminishing light schedule .. I should probably hold a week or so with that to give them a chance to recover and not stress them with end-of-season messages ?

Day 57

Plant one had some water yesterday .. seems there is a little bit too much fertilizers in her soil as well .. she'll manage tho. Plant 2 and Benjamin are looking like thye did yesterday ... some tiny specks of new growth, if you look carefull .. other then that, no change.

Plant 1
20140426_224511.jpg

The other 2
20140426_224613.jpg

Thanks for watching, as always :)

Oh .. and for the ones with good eye's to detail: yes that is a seed ... but it came out of a batch of glycerine tincture after first heating for half an hour @ around 80 C ... was about to stir when I spot her ... dont expect much from her after that glycerine, but it wont hurt to try :p

Day 58

I flushed them again today .. glad I did .. the runoff was foamy and dark green ... can't be good. I checked on pot size again ... you are not gonna believe what they are in atm ... I thought they where 7.5l ... they are 3l pots. I ran another 6l per pot of clear water through there .. untill the runoff started to look more clear .. then my back said fuck it .. so perhaps another flush tomorrow.

The potsize must mean they are rootbound .. but I cant check without having to un-scrog .. and I dunno if that would be wise ... I dont think it makes much difference anymore .. any damage has been done already I'd say .. and keeping in mind june as mandatory harvest month, I dont think it would matter anyway .. anybody any thoughts in this ?

Plant 1 took some damage .. which lead to me flushing again:
20140427_235018.jpg

Plant 2 is hopefully gonna give me a few clones:
20140427_235039.jpg

As will Benjamin I hope:
20140427_235658.jpg

Besides the seed that has been heated to 80C, I popped a Kandy Kush seed in the ground, that came from a bag of shop bought weed .. soaked it for 12 hours or so, dropped it in the ground, and now I'll have to figure a way to make her survive my holiday :p

Plant 1 seems to have really strong genetics, that's the first plant I would clone. The scrog has a really nice spread on it, and it shook off the problems it encountered quite well. If I had the space, I'd clone it, grow a big mother, and keep her around for a while in veg to keep producing clones for me.

For the pot size, 3 liters is just shy of 1 gallon, and I've read to use about 1 gallon pot size per foot of plant height. So far.. yours weren't looking BAD, but I'm sure they'd like to stretch out a little more. Next time around just pick up some bigger pots. (But there are also exceptions, and some growers can produce insane plants from the smallest of containers)

You could easily transplant them with minimal to no shock to the plant, but having to take them out of the scrog would be a pain, and in their delicate condition now, doing so could cause more immediate damage.

The only option I can think of, is getting a bigger pot now, without removing the scrog, gently and slightly lift your girl up and out of the pot, so you can tilt the existing pot to slide it out from under her, and slip the new larger pot in its place. massage the root ball gently to loosen the existing soil and roots a bit, and then start back filling your medium into the new larger pot.
Even doing this, it's likely to cause some damage/stress, but I think if done carefully, it can be easier than removing the whole scrog, and then having to re-scrog again.

Hey planetj, good to see plant 1 showing good signs of life!

I reckon it could be an idea to maybe re-pot your ladies in fresh soil. As the nutrients you gave them were slow-release granular form, flushing will only make the soil worse as surely the granules will be in the soil?

Oh .. and for the ones with good eye's to detail: yes that is a seed ... but it came out of a batch of glycerine tincture after first heating for half an hour @ around 80 C ... was about to stir when I spot her ... dont expect much from her after that glycerine, but it wont hurt to try :p

Ok I was never good at where's waldo.. And looking at your pics, I can't find a seed anywhere. lol what did I miss?

And I'd still try to plant it too :D

...I might be loosing plant 1 too... after the flush yesterday, today more brown leafs on her .. I might have killed them all :/ Would it matter if I put her in a bigger pot, given that the issue is in the dirt that her roots hold ?

This kinda sucks ... I'm glad theyre bagseed .. but I feel bad for ruining them :(

Right now to me it seems to be worth a try. You'll be reusing the pots for future grows I'm sure, and possibly reusing some of the new soil as well, so there's nothing lost there in my opinion.

I did the same thing myself on the first two plants, but I was adding nutes way too early also lol.

Look on the bright side mate, at least you didn't pay 10-15 Euro each for the seed :) And you'll have learned something as well.

But right now, I say what the hell, give it a try. If plant 1 is looking worse, I'd say go for it. I'd look for plain potting soil as well, to give the soil that's left on the roots somewhere to dissolve/disperse into when transplanted.

Ok I was never good at where's waldo.. And looking at your pics, I can't find a seed anywhere. lol what did I miss?

And I'd still try to plant it too :D

20140426_224613.jpg

Between the two dead ladies ;)

Right now to me it seems to be worth a try. You'll be reusing the pots for future grows I'm sure, and possibly reusing some of the new soil as well, so there's nothing lost there in my opinion.

I did the same thing myself on the first two plants, but I was adding nutes way too early also lol.

Look on the bright side mate, at least you didn't pay 10-15 Euro each for the seed :) And you'll have learned something as well.

But right now, I say what the hell, give it a try. If plant 1 is looking worse, I'd say go for it. I'd look for plain potting soil as well, to give the soil that's left on the roots somewhere to dissolve/disperse into when transplanted.

I hear you .. I'm just kinda pissed at myself for killing them with fertilizer ... looking back at what I did, I don't really know WHAT the # I was thinking ... I probably wasnt ...

Here's plant 1's new home .. from a 3 liter pot to a 10 liter bucket .. drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom and in the side ... drowned her again, and will do so a few more times, before putting her back in the box.

20140429_220314.jpg

I think I'm gonna use plant 2 and Benjamin as compost .. unless someone thinks cloning the lower braches would be succesfull .. I might as well try that .. altho I dont have cloning gel, and would be using willow water with honey ...

Back
Top Bottom