1st Journal 2nd Grow Sugar Black Rose

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Looks like magnesium deficiency and maybe you need to bump your lights up. Some of those leaves have the “taco” effect. Your plant is telling you that it’s to intense

Good luck :high-five:

The “taco” leaves I believe are just do to heat.. at the time I only had 1 fan going and neither a1 or A2 had any direct wind to cool it down. Also those vivosun leds are better and therefore run a bit hotter, closer. So I hope that should be remedied.
I honestly haven’t changed the water out once in this system yet. I think I’ll do that today. After which I hope those magnesium/calcium deficiency’s will be fixed. I thought those spots may be due to algae growth though, not calc def since there is some light leak at this time, but the roots all look healthy..

I am suppose to help my buddy set up his 5x5 tent and get him up and running today. I’ll be busy today to say the least

This is the meter I have been using religiously and seems most accurate but I have 2 more that I’ll post below...

FYI this is the water straight from the tap.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Going to do a water change today for sure.

but yeah I did notice that seems high but I figured it was due to the tap being high already and from what I have researched, ppm that is in your tap water is “dead” and should not be accounted for. Please correct me if I am wrong. Still a noob trying to learn here.

Going to do a water change today for sure.

but yeah I did notice that seems high but I figured it was due to the tap being high already and from what I have researched, ppm that is in your tap water is “dead” and should not be accounted for. Please correct me if I am wrong. Still a noob trying to learn here.
Well it is considered that when you figure the feed ppm's. Those ppm's in the water are minerals and they do add in my grow in soil. That's why I'd like to see a seasoned hydro person come by.
My well water is very much like yours and I got a ro system for them. It brought ppm's to 47. Not saying you need that, but I did for a living organic soil grow.

In hydro, always start with calcium than work backwards. Calcium, more than all the other elements, in hydro is thew easiest to lock out either due to a cation imbalance, PH, not enough nitrate or too much P will also cause the calcium to get locked up in colloids. 2600 TDS seems a bit high for my experience, though I've seen journals from DWC growers that feed their plants up at those concentrations, so you'll just have to do your diligence. If you want to know more about your feeding regimen, you can use Hydro Buddy to calculate how much of each element is in your feed, then make more informed decisions in the future. I made a tutorial for using Hydro Buddy (a free app) and making your own nutes from salts. You can use Hydro Buddy to compute the contents of liquid nutes too by creating Custom Solutions based in the information listed on the Guaranteed Analysis printed on the labels.

Thanks skybound, I will definitely check out that article you made before I do my water change here today and figure out where my levels are currently and get back to you all.

A carbon filter on an intake is a waste of money. What odor are you removing from the air before it goes into your room? Careful with that cool mist humidifier, those + hard water = nasty white powdery residue that will plug up a carbon filter.

2500+ ppm is crazy high for veg. You do not discount the starting ppm, the higher the ppm the harder it is for your plant to drink. Too much other stuff besides water in there. My tap water is not quite as bad as yours, about 300ppm 7.0ph mostly calcium, negligible iron. I don't use an RO for my Coco DTW. But you may need one.

If it has only been running for a couple weeks you shouldn't have much residue in there yet. I only have to clean my rez every 6-8 weeks or so. There's something off with your mix, or your system wasn't thoroughly sanitized. Sometimes mixing nutrient lines gets a little murky but the botanicare Cal mag+ is good stuff, I've run that with success for like 3 years now.

Water temps are a big deal in water culture, warm water grows baddies faster and holds less dissolved oxygen. I prefer waterfall setups vs air pumps. Air pumps cause pH shifts that waterfalls do not. What's your water temp? I see the sample was around 70°f that's pretty good if it stays there.

How about buying a couple gal of bottled water and mix to a known ppm values? Be interesting to see if the three meters agree on ppm.... My water is so hard I have to use ro. 1000ppm/7ph..
I've also given up on creative feeding.. I only use two GH fertilizers, MaxiBloom or Flora Nova Bloom.. Just feed them as Lucas formula .. I really haven't used the FNB since they removed the 3% citric acid.. It was a great buffer.. I'd add back the removed % of citric acid, but I'm afraid it could screw up the mix by adding it now..

Dr. Fish,
I have some RO water I’ll test with each and show the results.

skybound,
Is the app for Android only? I’m not finding it in the App Store. If it is I will download it onto my pc.

TurboBucket,
As far as the CF on the intake of the room I figured just to remove any dust or small particles. But I can just make some other mesh screen to do the same, unless you think just a fan on the intake would be enough.
The humidifier claims the filter removes any white dust and the reviews I’ve read claim that it’s true.

I will definitely cut back on the nutes. Maybe start with half of what I currently have in the system and see how they take to it?

I probably didn’t sanitize well enough... is there anything I can do to remedy this during the grow?Scrub sides of totes down with new scotch bright sponge and run a certain mix through?

The red temp holds at about 74F. I would like to get a chiller or modify a dehumidifier to cool it down a few degrees but for now I gottatry and make this work.

this was my first rdwc system and I built it myself.. I wish I would have done waterfall but was not aware of the air stones causing ph shifts. ‍-_-

Just gotta keep learning I suppose lol

As far as I know, Hydro Buddy will only run on a computer. There are installers for Windows and Linux, but there is also a workaround for the Macs.

I abandoned dwc in the design phase. The need/want for a chiller was an extra operating expense I didn't want. So I went DTW instead.

You can run hydrogen peroxide in the system to kill off crud and help clean it up. If the stuff is stuck on hard enough you'll have to scrub though. There's a product called drip clean I think that's supposed to be for dripper lines, maybe that will help in tubing portions? I have not used it so I have no idea.

As long as your pulling air from inside your home it should be pretty clean already. A lot of folks will use pantyhose as intake filters, they're cheap, easy to replace and keep out bugs and pet hair. Tents limit our options.
You could easily make a filter rack for some cheap 1" furnace filters that are locally available if your using outdoor air or want to be double sure.

Great advice from @TurboBucket

I agree with the waterfall idea over the air pumps.

stay positive it’s all a learning experience and we ALL started at the same level:green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom