1st Time Grow White Widow & Seedmakers Autoblue

hi mate, sorry not been on for a few days, i wouldnt worry about the buds drying to quick in the box, they will dry a lot quicker in a box due to them not having a big stem, i hang buds and also use the box method, when i have run out of room on the hangers i fill an old trainer box with buds that dont have a stem, then place this in the bottom of the wardrobe and turn the buds every day to make sure they dry even and dont rot where its resting on the box, after a couple of days i just give the box a gentle shake and this stops them sticking to the box and stops any problems,

dont use the fridge for your bud mate, it will draw moisture into the bud and never dry, or it will rot and you will lose the lot, cool temps are idea so i use my wardrobe in the spare room and leave the window slightly open, this keeps the room cool, then i just open the door 2 or 3 times a day to let the moisture out, i do use a small fan but not this time as it seems ok, as long as its vented enough then it wont rot.

if the bud feels dry to the touch and when you squash it it bounces back then its ready to go into jars, if it says squashed then its to moist and leave it a bit longer, when i put mine i jars the outside of the buds feel dry, after a few hours in the jar i check the buds and they are all moist, so i leave the lid off for an hour or 2 so that they dry out again, then i check them and if they feel dry on the outside i then close the lid and repeat this process till they buds stop getting moist, so for the first couple of days i leave the lid off for a few hours a day and then put the lid back on, what i do over night is balance the lid on the jar so their is a small gap, doing this will let the moisture out, you dont want the buds totally crispy dry when its doing its cure, so its a bit difficult to get it spot on, but it should get to a point where the lid dont need to come off, so you will get to a stage where you only need to leave the lid off for 5 min to release moisture then it can go back on, then just give the jar a shake to stop the buds touching each other in the same place as this could cause problems. but after a week in the jar its usually ok to leave the lid on and keep it somewhere dark, just check on it every couple of days to make sure its not to moist and keep doing this till you are sure the bud is stable and not releasing to much moisture.

with the power problems mate, its not a huge problem unless the light is switch on and off to stress the plants, a day or 2 in the dark wont cause any major problems, but any longer and you would possibly stress it enough to make it go hermie, what i do when i have a power cut is put my plants somewhere that they can get natural light from outside, they dont need to be by a window but just having them in a light room will stop them been stressed and will keep them growing,

make sure you try and keep the light schedule the same, so if you using say 20-4 then make sure that any light you give it is during the time it should get light, the problem is if the light is close to 12-12 then they will start to go into flower, so the more hours of light you can give it during the power cut will stop it flowering and will keep the plants growing till the power comes back on

sorry for the late reply

The electric company over here said if this storm is bad we might be out of power for 5-7 days and my white widow was just looking amazing. will i have to chop it if it is 7 days dark? lol . Its all good i jar all my stuff already ive smoked some blunts already pretty nice :D. Its so smooth too out of a blunt or bong. On the 2 dwc 2 liter auto blues the roots are already coming out of the bottom well its just one little root

as soon as them roots hit the nutrient rich water in the res they will grow like crazy, in about 3 days the res will be full of roots then the plant grows like crazy, im also going to try an auto as a dwc, i got 2 autos in seedling stage and i know these only produced around 20g dry per plant last time i grew them in soil, so ill try them in a dwc using 20-4 as the light schedule then i can compare the yield and see if i get more as a dwc.

if you do have power cut and the plants not ready mate just put the plants into a light room if you can do this, as long as its getting some light then it will still flower and still put weight on, even if its just say 8 hours of light a day, it dont need to be direct sunlight, just any room with window will keep them growing, some growers give their plants 48 hours of dark before they harvest, this is suppose to make the plant go into over drive and produce more trichs, ive not tried this so cant say if it works or not,

it all depends what kind of high your looking for, if they are all cloudy then the plant is ready to harvest, but if you want more of a couch lock affect then let it go 10% amber, the choice is yours mate, you could always take a small bud off the plant and quick dry it and sample it, this will give you some idea of the high you will get from it, it wont taste or smell as good as its been quick dried, but it will give you some idea of the type if high you will get from the plant if you harvested it now.

how do the pistils look mate, are these all shrunk onto the buds now or do you still have some white pistils

I'm not an expert but let it go until 10 to 30% amber. This is really your call as you know what you want. They do get bigger IMO, but the later growth on my buds are fox tails. The entire main cola is full of them. I read somewhere this was caused by heat stress? I have also been told the fox tails come from the girl screaming for pollen as the last minutes count down. Either way it adds to the bud.

if you want to harvest it now then it sounds like its ready, when did you last feed nutes?.

it all depends what your after mate, id take a test bud and see how it smokes, just chop a bud off from lower down the plant and fast dry it and sample it, at least then you have a good idea if its ready or not,

I gave it tiger bloom just a few days ago. Also when i harvest should i chop it down and hang it as is or should i trim each bud then hang it?

Either or. Doesn't really matter, just do what's most convenient to you. I would probably keep her going for a few more days and flush if I fed tiger bloom a few days ago. But that's me :), I know a lot people who don't even acknowledge the flush rule. I like to go by "better safe than sorry" when it comes to growing lol.

i dont flush as such but i stop giving nutes upto and around 14 days before harvest, doing this will let the plant use everything up in the soil and will give you nice clean bud, so its up to you, even if you do a big flush the soil will still have nutes in it so i dont think a big flush will help, plus you dont need to flush with soil so i just water plain water for the last 2 weeks, basically when i see that most the trichs are cloudy i then stop giving nutes and just give plain water, then i harvest when i think the plant is ready, usually around 10 to 14 days later.

now for drying, i use 2 different methods, i cut the branches off and trim them but leave the buds on each branch, i then use an old sock and underwear hanger thing, its like a round hoop with about 10 clothes pegs attatched to it, so i use this and clip a branch onto each peg, then when i run out of room i use normal coat hangers and just hang the branches over them as the little side branches off the branches hook over the hanger nicely, now this method takes longer to dry but is the method most growers use.

now the other method i use is the shoe box method, what i do with this is trim each bud off the branch, so im left with the big main bud which still has the stem running up the middle of it, so i dont take all the buds off this branch as they look like 1 big bud, but then all the smaller buds i trim them and then cut them off the branch they are on, i then put all these in a shoe box making sure the buds are not touching each other as this can cause mold problems, then every day i give it a gentle shake or turn the buds over if their pretty big, doing this makes them dry pretty even and stops any problems.

it just depends where you are drying and how quick you want them dried, its best to let them dry on their own without the help of a heater, i only use a heater or something like a hot light bulb to quick dry a sample bud, the rest of the buds hang in the wardrobe in the spare room and dries when it dries, just make sure that it is vented to stop any moisture forming and causing the bud to rot, what i do is just open the door of the wardrobe a couple of times a day to let the air out and fresh air in, i also check the buds and make sure their not touching each other, then i open the shoe boxes and turn the buds to stop them resting in the same place.

up to now i have had no problems with bud rot or anything like that, but venting is the most important as you want the moisture to escape and not hang around in the drying room.

It doesn't sound like he has 10-14 days left that's why I'm recommending a flush :) Any nutrients that are bound to the soil will not be flushed, but any free-roaming fertilizer will definitely be flushed from the soil. I saw how much the plants benefit from flushes first hand :).

if time is an issue then by all means flush, but you really dont need to flush at all with soil, other grow methods do require a flush of 3 times the size of the pot, but soil grows dont need a flush imo, but i have flushed when i had problems but i know now that it takes around 14 days from 100% cloudy to 10% amber, so i just stop the nutes at the time and give strait water,

if you think the plant is that close to harvest then give it a flush and flush with 3 times the pot size, so a 3gallon pot would need 9 gallons of water, or flush till the run off is clear, then leave the plant a few days and the leaves should start turning a light green and then yellow.

just make sure the trichs are where you want them to be, a test bud would be the best option, just cut a small bud off the bottom of the plant or low down on the plant and quick dry it and sample it, then you have some idea of where the plant is for harvest,

@iSmokes, how long before harvest would you say its best to flush, im only asking as i have had plants that have been on tap water for 2 weeks and still looked perfectly health and green, so this time round im cutting down on how often i feed with bpn, i was feeding bpn with ever feed but now i have cut it down to every 3rd feed and the plants seem to respond well, i think my soil was to hot with all the nutes so cutting it back has given the plant the chance to use up what it needs and not have to much, i just wondered how close to harvest would you flush

Paul you always have great advice to share! I can't really "recommend" anything because I'm a fresh noob. I can only tell about what I do, and how it works for me. I flushed a week before harvest, then again 2 days before harvest. I stopped feeding around 14 days before harvest. So it's a week of water, then another week of water + 2 flushes. I use FloraKleen with my water and generally see very clear run off even after only 1 Gal of flush solution. But I do go by the 3x rule so I do the first 2x with plain water, then 1x with florakleen+water. So for example, Diva was in a 2Gal pot, that means 4 gallons of water followed by 2 gallons of flush solution for her. When I say "solution", it's just 1-2 tsp/gal. I really don't know if it improves anything about the bud/smoke. But that's what I do :).
Cheers :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom