1st Time Grower - Blue Mystic Indoor June 2012

Amsterdam28

Hey 420 Community,

I have been trolling this site for a while now reading posts, absorbing advice, and admiring the work of many of you. I just started my first grow about 3 weeks ago and figured I would document the process for my own knowledge. Once I saw the journals on here I realized this is the perfect opportunity to share with others so hopefully I can get some good feedback. Thanks for the info I have already gotten from so many of you.

BASICS
Blue Mystic
Predominantly Indica
Currently have 3 plants
In Vegetative Stage - (at the moment)
Indoor
Soil - Fox Farm Potting Soil
3L pots
Hydrofarm T5 Fluorescent 2ft 4 tube (6400K)
Average temp of room is around 84 degrees
PH of soil is currently 8 (using Chicago tap water which averages about 8.2. I am working on getting this down obviously, but so far no major issues)
No pests
Watering daily when in cup size containers, only water ever few days since moving to 3L pots
No fertilizers used yet
Grow space is small section of closet (3.5' W x 4' H x 1.5' D)

Quick background
My main concern is really to keep the plants small considering my grow space. I can't manage more than a couple feet so I plan to top and LST constantly and keep them really short and bushy. I will also start them flowering early on. I am more concerned with keeping them manageable and healthy than with getting some large yield. Maybe in the future in a larger home I will be able to have a bigger operation, but for now my focus is to learn the craft and grow some nice private stash using the minimal space I have. I am currently growing 4 plants, 3 started together and 1 planted about 10-12 days after the original 3.

Since I am already at day 24 when I started this journal, here is just a bunch of photos I have been taking since the beginning.

Day 3
IMG_11169.jpg
IMG_111711.jpg

Day 7
IMG_112512.jpg
IMG_112611.jpg

Day 10 - first time topping
IMG_113113.jpg
IMG_11329.jpg

Day 12 - a little bit of yellow/brown spots on 2 of the leaves (did not spread)
IMG_11369.jpg

IMG_113710.jpg

Day 13 - new growths after topping
IMG_114612.jpg
IMG_11479.jpg

Day 13 - Transplanted into 3L pot. This plant is farthest from camera
IMG_11485.jpg

Day 16
IMG_11578.jpg
IMG_115811.jpg
IMG_11595.jpg

Day 20 - before first LST
IMG_122611.jpg

Day 20 - first LST. My other plants I tied a support rope around the base and pulled one side down. For this one I decided to try something different and split it symmetrically in two different directions. The main stem is still going straight up but then the 2 main branches from topping are going in opposite directions. I used cut pieces of a metal clothes hanger bent into the shape of a upside down "U" to keep the plant bent as desired
IMG_12297.jpg
IMG_12307.jpg

Day 20 - rotating plants to make sure they get even light and exposure to air. This plant is now closest to camera
IMG_12318.jpg

Day 24 - 2nd time topping and more LST'ing. I bent two more branches down using the same hanger method. I really like the squat bushiness that I am getting from this plant.
IMG_123710.jpg
IMG_123810.jpg

Day 24 - Small burn on one of the leafs after letting it grow all the way to the bulb. I have raised the lamp slightly and will keep an eye on it. Damn plant is growing like a weed! ;-)
IMG_123910.jpg

Day 24 - different angle just to show how the hangers are being used.
IMG_124010.jpg

Very nice journal and great job so far on your ladies, especially the LST! Looks like there responding very well. I'm subbed for this grow, I know there has been some other Blue Mystic grows around here in the past, I think this strain may have even won some contests here before!! Can't wait to see this one bloom!

Very nice journal and great job so far on your ladies, especially the LST! Looks like there responding very well. I'm subbed for this grow, I know there has been some other Blue Mystic grows around here in the past, I think this strain may have even won some contests here before!! Can't wait to see this one bloom!

Thanks man. I have to say I am really happy with the progress so far. When I first decided to get into this I had no idea what to expect. Even though you can read all about what people are doing on here it feels so different when you are the one actually responsible for them everyday. I'll keep the pics coming every few days. Thanks for the support.

Day 28 - I just got back from a couple days away on business travel and felt like snapping a few pics. No real developments to note other than I started using a Bio-Grow liquid fertilizer so we'll see how that goes. I also added an oscillating fan rather than the one standard fan I previously had just blowing on the same spot constantly. I also topped a couple growth areas, but I think that is my final time on this plant. Now I want just let it veg for another week or two and then switch over to flower.

IMG_12537.jpg
IMG_12548.jpg
IMG_12567.jpg

checked out your grow, looking sweet, when you feed for flower you will want some nutes with more P in it maybe a 5-10-6:peace:

Thanks for the tip. I have been thinking about that, as well as about getting some better lights for flower. I'll be sure to look into the nutes next time I am at the grow shop.

Day 41 (day 6 since going 12/12) - A view from above and some close-ups as I try to determine the sex

DSC_00853.jpg
DSC_00819.jpg
DSC_008011.jpg

Well, you win some and you lose some. The baby turned out to be a male and unfortunately I had to put him down. Out of the 3 plants I started from seed 2 were males but thankfully one is a female. It happens to be the smallest of the 3 so far and the one that I waited the longest before topping only once. I'm just happy to have at least one of them be a girl though. Here's some "sexy" pics from this plant and the two others in this grow

The main plant I had been documenting

DSC_01235.jpg

Another one of the boys

DSC_01135.jpg

My lovely lady

DSC_01259.jpg

I'm going to keep this journal going but obviously for just the girl (the boys are both mulch already). It is a small plant, but we'll see what I can eventually harvest from her.

Nice work Amsterdam28 :)

It is a shame about the males but at least you have a girl left to focus all of your attention on.

Your plants otherwise look very healthy and you have done a great job on the LST

+REP for your first grow , I'm interested to see how this turns out :)

My journal is in my sig if you wanna have a look

I'm subbed

:peace:

hello again amsterdam.
i have subscribed to your grow journal since you like me are a first timer. looks very promising, i may have to mimic your grow in the future, deff will be using fox farms potting soil next time over the MG organic for ease.

Hey guys, glad to see I got some people willing to stick around and help a rookie out :)

So I just wanted to put some more pics up and show the changes I have made to my setup.

Here are the 2 males before they got put down. I really liked how bushy they were getting and I was definitely giving them more of my attention since they seemed to be doing so well.
IMG_13046.jpg

Here's the single lady after taking a few clippings to try my first attempts at clones
IMG_13069.jpg
DSC_0126-2.jpg

I decided if I was going to get serious about this, I needed to have 2 separate grow areas...one for Veg using my T5 and the second for flowering using a 200W CFL. I wanted to go HPS, but the heat would have been too much without some additional ventilation so I figured I would give the CFL a shot. Here is a view of my closet with the curtains closed and one with them open so you can see the two grow areas.
DSC_01366.jpg
DSC_01318.jpg

I also decided to germinate a few more seeds to go along with the 4 clones I'm trying. I know the girl I was left with won't be anything big, so I figured I might as well get my practice in on my first harvest and with taking clones and wait until I find a plant I really like to stick around as a mother I just keep in veg.
DSC_01268.jpg
DSC_01278.jpg

Back
Top Bottom