1st Time Growing - Autoflower Strain - Tutankhamon In Soil - 240W LED

May 3rd, 2017 - Vegetation DAY 7
Updated @ 11:10PM
It has been 2 days since we last updated with any photographs or any progress. I am still waiting on delivery of my Advanced Nutrients 3 part system, and this should be here tomorrow. I will run a test of the water with AN and see how the pH changes.

Today is day 6 without any water

When I put my finger in the soil its not really dry. It is cool, and sticks to my fingers when i take it out. Some areas towards the edges feel dry when my entire finger is in the soil, but the middle is damp, not as wet as it was so should be any day before a water is needed.

Here is how the girls are looking

20170503_221910.jpg
Cheese DAY 7 of Vegetation​

20170503_220223.jpg
Cheese DAY 7 of Vegetation​

20170503_220210.jpg
Tutankhamon DAY 7 of Vegetation​

20170503_220136.jpg
Tutankhamon DAY 7 of Vegetation​

Take a look at that last picture of King Tut. Notice how that leaf on the far right has a crinkle look to it at the tip.

What causes that?

That has been there since germination

Take a look at that last picture of King Tut. Notice how that leaf on the far right has a crinkle look to it at the tip.

What causes that?

That has been there since germination

I've had a couple of those. Check your soil ph but don't over react and over correct. You have time to smooth it out. If it's still growing strong just make sure you're water is in the correct range and keep an eye on it. She'll be alright.

I've had a couple of those. Check your soil ph but don't over react and over correct. You have time to smooth it out. If it's still growing strong just make sure you're water is in the correct range and keep an eye on it. She'll be alright.

That is strange. I pH'd my water before going in soil. The soil & water is pH 6.3. I won't be correcting anything if it's nothing to be concerned about, let it do what it's going to do. No sign of death here yet lol

I feel I am on a straight forward path to doom and failure with this plant.

Both plants are using the same water and soil but only 1 is not making me happy, and its the one I am most excited for.

I checked the soil today and its not all dry yet, its very close so I may provide a little drink today without watering too much of the soil where they are so small yet.

I tried taking some photos but to get the detail I had to remove from the tent.

Take a look at this photo

Curl4.jpg

To me it looks like a couple leaves have a small curl or is starting a small curl upwards
I also noticed some discoloration on the edge of 2 leaves

What seems like smooth sailing has me thinking the sailboat is about to sink

Thanks for your replies guys

I dont plan on feeding at all until week 3 to 5..had no plans on feeding before then.

The reason I uses the 5 Gallon bucket is because it's an autoflower and I have been reading about how it's not at all recommended to transplant autos and to put them on the pot they will be finished in.
I don't use Autos so I can't comment on anything related.

I totally get what you mean where the bottom soil is always moist. I will start to water using no runoff going forward until she is much larger. And thanks for the tip on the photos I will switch to color starting today..ocerlooked that :)

My original question about watering was raised when I seen a autoflower feeding schedule that has started in week 5. The user has a schedule created and has high praise how well his yields turn out. He says to feed less and water more. He would water 1L every day instead of 4L every 4 days. So that's where my question came from.
Plants will eat as much as they need, you can only watch and read the signs she gives you throughout the cycle. I suggest reading up well on deficiencies and the tell tale signs of over-feeding (Tip Burn).

If you look at my water schedule I have only watered 2 times since they been in pots. Day 1 i watered the soil before planting seeds and 5 days later i watered again. Today I believe is day 5 or 6 since my last water I'm willing to wait as long as I need to water I was just asking if it would be good to try that 1L per day so I can start it in my next watering.
On watering, very soon you will just know when to water them by the look and weight. For instance, even if the next 1L scheduled watering is due, you don't need to water if the soil is still damp, no point.. you will only reduce o2 available.

How much would you advise to water around the stem without overdoing it with the size it's at now?
You could fill a small pot or container up with the same soil and pack it down similar to your plants and then water and just watch how long it takes to run through, then just do that on the top of the plants around the stem.

Would you recommend I wait until all my soil top to bottom is dry before i start watering around the stem again? I want to correct this if its possible. I don't want this moist soil at the bottom causing issues if it's not being used.
If you watered the whole bucket at the start and soaked it well, I would wait until it dries up well. So you know you're back to the start. The plants will start to droop and look "sad" when they need water. As soon as you see that (shouldn't get that far, just incase), water them imediately. They will be fine.

Cheers

Your patience through this period will pay off, you will find most plants will push through a lot on their own, as long as you keep maintaining the environment and basic essentials, just let them grow. The plants have an amazing way of changing root-zone on their own.

Trikk

May 6th, 2017 - The Aroma is real, or I am very high. Either way it's all good :)
Updated @ 6PM

The curl in the leaf seemed to have worked its way through and that wrinkle is no longer there. A few things could have happened to cause or correct this.

I was running a humidity level of about 30% and it was suggested that I try to increase the humidity during this plant stage. I was instructed to place bowls of water in the tent with fans around them blowing on the water. This only increased the humidity by about 2% total and never did anything to help.

I then purchased a humidifier and placed it in the tent. Within minutes I was able to see the difference in the humidity level. After leaving the humidifier on for almost 24 hours so far we are sitting at 50% humidity. I am happy with this number vs the 30% I was getting. If I can squeeze another 10% out of it I will be happy.

Have you ever seen a humidifier with a month setting on it? Mines has it and no instructions say what its for other than to put it on the correct month. I am wondering if one month will bring more humidity to the room vs a different month setting...If you have feedback please post!

Humidity50.jpg

Now that we have the humidity slightly improved in our growing environment I moved onto the watering.

CHEESE STRAIN
The cheese strain received 250ml of water last night. It was not a lot but with these huge pots it was enough to help her out without going overboard. Finger deep was dry. I started slowly watering 100ml around the stem and towards the edge of the pot and left it for a few minutes. After water was soaked up I added more, continued until I felt the soil was nice and moist in the areas needed.

KING TUT
King tut is still without water. This is day 9 without water for this girl. The soil is drying up more and more every day. I rather not wait for the signs from the plant to feed, but I am going to push her until late tonight and perhaps try giving some water if all that soils is no longer cool or damp

Light Timer
Tonight will be the 1st day since we started that we will be changing out light schedule. There has been some great growth, and tonight we have out lights connected to a time and we will be going 20/4 on the light cycle instead of 24/0. I decided to let the plant get rest between the hours of 4AM and 8AM, it's easier for me for when I want to check on the plants during the time I am not working or am awake.

WHAT'S THAT SMELL!!!!
So, earlier today I took a few hits of shatter from the shatter pen. Had a nice little head high happening to get me doing things here today. Several hours later, after I am all washed up and I go to take photos I don't smell anything. Suddenly as I move one of the plants out to get a photo, I smell the sweet smell of cannabis. Now..either that was some really good shatter, but these plants are so tiny..I leaned in for a deep smell and I am almost 100% sure one or both of my plants is already giving off a light smell that we all know so well when it comes to cannabis. Is this usual or is my body playing tricks on me. I never expected any smell or odor until just before or during flowering stage.

Here is the photo from today’s checkup, enjoy and smoke em if ya got em!

(CHEESE STRAIN DAY 10)​
20170506_172913.jpg
(Tutankhamon DAY 10)​
20170506_173142.jpg
The light on the left leaf is from the LED light behind me..no leaf issue​

Your patience through this period will pay off, you will find most plants will push through a lot on their own, as long as you keep maintaining the environment and basic essentials, just let them grow. The plants have an amazing way of changing root-zone on their own.

Trikk

Thank you for the information TrikkSmoke, I have been letting them grow and they are gonna have to beg me to feed them haha Its a great experience so far, if all goes well I may have to increase my grow area square footage lol

I love the very 1st picture you posted. Looks awesome in black and white.

Hey MsSinful how are ya!

Thanks for swinging by, I checked your journals out and damn I am impressed! If I got any questions I may hit ya up, feel free to throw your input on anything I say or do here, or any suggestions as needed. I am open to feedback or help from anyone who wants to share. Its my 1st grow so I wanna get it right, but learn as well.

Yeah black & white photos are awesome! I love taking them, got a great camera just for that reason. But as nice as they look it is true, you cant pick out any leaf problems in black and white.

I will be sure to get some good snaps in black and white of the growth, buds forming, and more details if I am able to make it that far with these girls

Hey MsSinful how are ya!

Thanks for swinging by, I checked your journals out and damn I am impressed! If I got any questions I may hit ya up, feel free to throw your input on anything I say or do here, or any suggestions as needed. I am open to feedback or help from anyone who wants to share. Its my 1st grow so I wanna get it right, but learn as well.

Yeah black & white photos are awesome! I love taking them, got a great camera just for that reason. But as nice as they look it is true, you cant pick out any leaf problems in black and white.

I will be sure to get some good snaps in black and white of the growth, buds forming, and more details if I am able to make it that far with these girls

Aw thank for the kind words. Out of the last 2.5 years of growing the last 4 or 5 months have been the most successful. the credit goes out to this forum and the great members. I'm sure you and I will learn from each other long the way. .

Something very strange happened in my room today. This morning I checked the progress on humidity and temps, and as well as soil. All was well and I had planned on providing some water to King Tut today...wrote down the numbers I got and closed the tent....

...I came back about 6 hours and I don't know if it was something I did, but both plants were laying on its side. One of the plants roots was almost visible, was like it was pushed out of the soil from underneath.

I watered the King Tut with 500ML of water, and I then started to very so lightly pack some soil around the stem to straighten her up...

...Cheese strain was not watered today and will not be for another day or two due to the light feeding I gave her last time. The topsoil is dry, underneath is still cool to touch. I had to use the best of my ability to put dry soil around the stem of the plant to help support her. I am not sure if there is damage or not, I wasn't going to go digging, both plants now have extra soil around the stem to help support and prevent them from tipping over again.

...I will be checking out here for the day soon as I get ready to work the night shift, and with any luck we will get the stems strong. The leaves are getting bigger so that could be it, just doesn't make sense why it wasn't like that when I checked this morning.

Will provide update on this tomorrow. Fans are on blowing air at the plants and one just above the humidifier to spread the humidity around...one thing is for sure, I will not get sick of that fresh smell it is producing..mmmmmm makes my mouth water!

Now talking about humidity and temps...here are the readings for my HI - LO for the past 24 hours

Humidity
HI - 53%
LO - 41%

Temperature
HI - 27C
LO - 20C

I am noticing that my temp is hitting a low of 20C every day. This is more than likely happening overnight when the temps are lower.

Is there a way I can heat this place up?
During the days it is between 23 C - 27 C and I am comfortable with that, but if I can add 2 or 3 degrees that would be great especially for the night when the light is not on.

LED lights do not generate any heat to assist in the tent, more so when I have a humidifier and 2 fans and exhaust fan that are on 24/7

Now talking about humidity and temps...here are the readings for my HI - LO for the past 24 hours

Humidity
HI- 53%
LO - 41%

Temperature
HI 27C
LO - 20C

I am noticing that my temp is hitting a low of 20C every day. This is more than likely happening overnight when the temps are lower.

During the days it is between 23 C - 27 C and I am comfortable with that, but if I can add 2 or 3 degrees that would be great especially for the night when the light is not on.

LED lights do not generate any heat to assist in the tent, more so when I have a humidifier and 2 fans and exhaust fan that are on 24/7

What is your humidity without using the humidifier? My humidity when I start a new grow is at 30% with temps ranging from 75 to 78f.
So I will usually start seedlings and clones in a humidity dome. They have awesome ones now with a t5 light and heating pad for around $50 US dollars but the humidity domes themselves are fairly cheap. You can keep your seedlings in a smaller size one like this....

420-magazine-mobile1412752114.jpg

For close to two weeks. It will give you a peace of mind for your next grow I can promise you that.
So after a 1.5 & 2 weeks your plant is growing bigger and your using more soil which should bring up the humidity in your space without a humidifier.
The temps dropping so low with high humidity is going to cause your leaves to get heavy- moist like and when the heat in your tent rises to 81f it will then cause them to dry out and you will start to see damage.
I have so many books laying around my house about growing I opened one up and took a picture to share with you.
420-magazine-mobile1350208855.jpg

I think if you humidity is playing in the 30% right now without the humidifier than they are ok. When you have the free time read up on the effects of humidity and temps combined. (If you haven't already) .

What is your humidity without using the humidifier? My humidity when I start a new grow is at 30% with temps ranging from 75 to 78f.
So I will usually start seedlings and clones in a humidity dome. They have awesome ones now with a t5 light and heating pad for around $50 US dollars but the humidity domes themselves are fairly cheap. You can keep your seedlings in a smaller size one like this....

420-magazine-mobile1412752114.jpg

For close to two weeks. It will give you a peace of mind for your next grow I can promise you that.
So after a 1.5 & 2 weeks your plant is growing bigger and your using more soil which should bring up the humidity in your space without a humidifier.
The temps dropping so low with high humidity is going to cause your leaves to get heavy- moist like and when the heat in your tent rises to 81f it will then cause them to dry out and you will start to see damage.
I have so many books laying around my house about growing I opened one up and took a picture to share with you.
420-magazine-mobile1350208855.jpg

I think if you humidity is playing in the 30% right now without the humidifier than they are ok. When you have the free time read up on the effects of humidity and temps combined. (If you haven't already) .

I have read up on humidity and I am getting a lot of mixed feedback or readings. Some say I will be fine at 30% and others say that during the vegetation stage I would be wanting 40% - 60% until flower then I can reduce.

Without the humidifier my RH is between 21% and 32% depending on the time of day

I think I am right in saying the RH will increase as the plant grows, and then I will remove the humidifier as needed. I do not plan on using the humidifier during the flower and dry stages due to risk of mold.

Was told the extra humidity can do wonders for the stage I am at now which is day 14 (officially 2 weeks) from germination

I love the humidity dome option you are using. For me I have LED lights and only LED so not sure how that would work out in the future.

When I planted the 2 seeds I noticed one was taking off while the other was not even visible above soil. So I did my own DIY dome by using a CD case. I placed it on top of the soil (after disinfecting it) so air can still get under it. I sprayed the inside with water to add a little extra moisture knowing it was a temp solution and I was going to leave it there for a max of 12 hours where it was not a proper humidity dome, and a couple hours later I was amazed that it was above reaching for the light

BEFORE
20170425_195430.jpg

AFTER
20170425_195451.jpg

I believe my main concern right now is the temp getting as low as 68 F overnight, and this was before I added the humidifier and switched the light cycle.

Disadvantage with LED = no heat!

You know now that I'm thinking about it 68f is not really that bad. If it were in the lower 60s then I'd searching for a solution. You seem to be on track to figuring something out though. Doing some research is half the battle, which your doing.
That cd rack cover was a creative alternative, you could of continued using that for a bit. People use all sorts of things, water bottles cut in half or soda bottles whatever is handy.
For what it's worth I think your plants are right on point for growth. After 2 weeks you can start pony tailing to help with the lower growth of you wanted to. By the end of the 3rd week they should look amazing. You won't believe the difference.
I wish I could share what my vegging plants look like to compare but Ive been doing some heavy training so they look smaller than yours I bet.
Your doing a great job .

Humidity
HI - 53%
LO - 41%

Temperature
HI - 27C
LO - 20C

If you are in a closed room get you a heater for outside the tent. I set my heater on 70 f and it stays about 79 or 80 in tent.✌

If you are in a closed room get you a heater for outside the tent. I set my heater on 70 f and it stays about 79 or 80 in tent.✌

Surprising enough there is a heater directly behind the tent where the air vent is, the heater is turned on but the tent dont seem to be taking in the heat..I reset my meter today by pulling the battery, and after all night it only dipped to 22 (71.6 F) instead of 20 (68 F), so I will keep an eye on it. I just got home from a night shift so sleepy time for me, lights have been on 1 hour now in the tent so im gonna let the girls do their thing and now its my turn to sleep lol

May have to place a straw or something with a twist tie later today on to both stems, the leaves are fairly large and the stem is smaller but filling out in size slowly.

Needs that main stem stronger before I can start LST, although I could probably get away with tying the main stem to the edge of the bucket for extra support if needed, and may do this anyways while the plant is being pulled

For what it's worth I think your plants are right on point for growth. After 2 weeks you can start pony tailing to help with the lower growth of you wanted to. By the end of the 3rd week they should look amazing. You won't believe the difference.
I wish I could share what my vegging plants look like to compare but Ive been doing some heavy training so they look smaller than yours I bet.
Your doing a great job .

Thanks for the words of encouragement MsSinful! Pony tailing? I have only heard of this from your journals. I am going to read up on this and see what its all about.

Feel free to post that photo of your training. I am thinking of doing LST on the 2 plants I have in there now, always looking to see what others are doing and visuals are the best way to help me prepare

What was the name of that book you got that Humidity paragraph out of? I have to look it up and read it during night shifts

I will post a photo up here after I wake up of how the ladies look, will seek your advise on if I can start the ponytail method or if I have to wait more. Officially past day 14 since sprouting above soil today

Back
Top Bottom