300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

Re: 420 Cannasumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro 300w LED vs. 400w HID

Still dealing with a mag deficiency and/or lockout. The HID plants are more affected by it. The LED plants are actually looking pretty good, which is interesting in itself, but the HID plants didn't respond as well to foliar spraying and watering with epsom salt.

IMG_6914.JPG

This is the LED side, first with no color correction and then corrected:

IMG_6889.JPG
IMG_6890.JPG
IMG_6892.JPG
IMG_6893.JPG
IMG_6897.JPG
IMG_6894.JPG

IMG_6900.JPG
IMG_6903.JPG
IMG_6901.JPG
IMG_6902.JPG
IMG_6905.JPG
IMG_6904.JPG

LED plants above are looking pretty good.

Here's the HID plants:

IMG_6916.JPG
IMG_6917.JPG
IMG_6918.JPG
IMG_6919.JPG
IMG_6921.JPG
IMG_6920.JPG
IMG_6923.JPG
IMG_6922.JPG

I got tired of chasing my tail and flushed both the LED and HID plants with several gallons of rainwater.

These are the HID plants about an hour after the flush:

IMG_6924.JPG
IMG_6929.JPG
IMG_6930.JPG
IMG_6932.JPG

They look better, but I dunno, I'm not happy. Both sets of plants need to be in the same condition going into bloom or the comparison will be meaningless.

I have to LST them real soon because their growth is good, despite the mag problem, so not sure what I'm going to do at this point.

Worst case scenario, if the HID plants don't look significantly better in a few more days, I may have to start over with a new set of clones and a medium I'm more familiar with.

I've got more clones on deck, so it wouldn't delay things much to start over, but just gonna see how things go with these plants for a few more days.

:thanks:

wow bro that dose suck. i didnt think they were that bad. i mean their not crazy bad, but if things dont get fix ASAP then its not going to be good. look at the brite side, at least you were real far into the grow and have this problem, it wont be too bad if you had to start over.

i would have to agree both sets of plants need to be healthy to show the true potential of each light, that what i like about you, you dont 1/2 ass things, you do it right and good or you dont do it at all. most others would say screw it and still go on with the side x side witch is pointless.

i forgot to ask are you running 18/6 or 24/0?

by the way, do you want to sale some of that rain water? i could really use some.lol:thumb:

wow bro that dose suck. i didnt think they were that bad. i mean their not crazy bad, but if things dont get fix ASAP then its not going to be good. look at the brite side, at least you were real far into the grow and have this problem, it wont be too bad if you had to start over.

just a bump in the road ;)

i would have to agree both sets of plants need to be healthy to show the true potential of each light, that what i like about you, you dont 1/2 ass things, you do it right and good or you dont do it at all. most others would say screw it and still go on with the side x side witch is pointless.

I agree.

I was thinking today of possible alternatives to starting over. Getting rid of the HID plants and putting two of the LED plants in the HID tent, or maybe trying to equalize things by swapping two of the plants in each tent before the flip, but I'd rather keep things simple, I think.

i forgot to ask are you running 18/6 or 24/0?

18/6

by the way, do you want to sale some of that rain water? i could really use some.lol:thumb:

Coastal rainwater is good stuff. I like to foliar spray with it.

I should bottle some, add a little purple dye, call it "Purple Rain" and sell it for $50 a pop, lol.

I was thinking today of possible alternatives to starting over. Getting rid of the HID plants and putting two of the LED plants in the HID tent, or maybe trying to equalize things by swapping two of the plants in each tent before the flip, but I'd rather keep things simple, I think.

well one thing to think about is if you swap a few plants in into the HID tent then you will be left with 2 plants each, witch is ur goal i believe, but remember their was a reason you started out with 4 plants in each tent, to that safety window will now be gone.

As far as swapping the 2 plants back and forth i think that might be a little too much IMO. my opinion is if things arnt looking good or getting better, it would be safer just starting over since you arnt far into the grow, its still fresh, better sooner then latter. also you would be able to veg all of the girls into their homes with each lights and have a full on side x side from the get go with no CFL for most of the time. you would also have the option to start the girls is some better coco and have a trouble free coco grow instead of dealing with problems that maybe this coco is causing. but thats just my opinion, and we all know opinions are like ass holes everyone has one.LMAO!!

at the end of the day its your grow and your choice, just think about every option real good before it gets too late.

thanks

Coastal rainwater is good stuff. I like to foliar spray with it.

I should bottle some, add a little purple dye, call it "Purple Rain" and sell it for $50 a pop, lol.
no shit put it on ebay and you will be rich. shit i could just get water out of my toilet, and call it smart water. ill put ble food coloring in mine to make it look like some crazy dark blue water.:thumb: ill sale mine for $45.00 to make sure others will buy mine over your though:ganjamon:

i was wondering why you chose 18/6 over 24/0?

i know that 24/0 give you more veg growth and will make more shorter bushier and nodes over the 18/6.

but everything ive read says roots grow in the dark, so if this is true then maybe 18/6 might be better in the long run because of the bigger root system.

i wouldn't mine having less leaves because when i veg 24/0 my plants are just so dense with leaves i get tons of shadowing in flowering. i am wondering if 18/6 will help me keep thing a little more open up in flowering?

i just was wondering why you chose 18/6 because i know you study things allot and maybe you know something i dont?

I think those plants will recover - maybe use pure perlite next time for fewer variables?

runoff in coco doesn't reflect the PH in the container
Bull only. I don't believe this for a second. Pre-set alibi, IMO.
Why do you think 'mag deficiency'? Couple of ugly leaves, so what?
New growth good? Roll with it; one of lifes' little mysteries.

Pluck the ugly leaves, there are plenty of pretty ones. D&C

I'm inclined to think you've got a bit of salt toxicity myself.

Doesn't matter what the packaging says, it's always a good idea to give coco a good long rinse (and pre-treat with CalMag) oneself. I just don't trust the distributor to do those sorts of things for me. Large volume folks also like to buy bulk stuff for cheap and slap a brand label on it. Just the way it is.

Coconut trees tend to grow in (and tolerate) areas of high salinity by nature; some are right near the water, others are found further inland (i.e. lower salt). Canna Coco and the like are supposed to use more of the latter kind of coir (and pre-treat), but ya never know.

A little salt toxicity goes a long way, and tends to prevent other nutrients from being absorbed also. If you're going to stick with this batch of coco, try rinsing the hell out of it and see how the new growth looks. The prills'll probably hold up just fine.

(and yeah, it never hurts to check the runoff...)

No need to kill the grow though, it's a minor bump at best. Keep on truckin'! :thumb:

-TL

Sorry to see problems. I was selfishly looking forward to the grow being finished by the time I needed to buy flowering lights. But hey, I am along for the ride no matter what.

At least I know now that I should rinse the coco I bought from Osh.

Thanks for all the effort you are putting into this grow! :thanks:

Hey everyone just wanted to stop by and let you guys know that i have 7 Spectra LED 360w panels up for sale at a discount price. The panels were used for one cycle 3.5 months on my last grow.

If anyone's interested please e-mail me at sales@growledhydro.com the price is $750 each and free shipping.

Hey SS dont worry man give the plants some time, with your care I have no doubt the plants will recover just fine. Keep up the excellent work my friend!

ya i here you, company's will say that for sales, i much rather buy some coco that i can just use out of the bag, you feel me? so they say stuff like that some times.. ive seen allot of cheap hydrofarm products, its kinda like the Sunny Select, or any retail store knock off brand they sale cheaper then the big name products IMO.lol

Canna and Royal Gold are the only coco's to go with IMO.

Rinsing the stuff isn't that big a deal, but to have instructions that say all you need to do is hydrate it and use it really sucks. I was just talking to Horse on another thread and I was saying how I would rinse any brand of coco no matter what the mfg recommended, and then I decide to trust a mfg because they're a major player, and it was a mistake.

I was told by a coco grower friends that been using it for about 6-7 years to pre charge the coco with 10ml cal/mag per gal before anything is planted, then add 5ml once a week from their on. keep PH around 6.0-6.3 IMO..

i have many friends that only grow in coco and do great with no problems. it could also be that the TRF just arnt any good for coco and u need a coco nute? they just might be too slow at feeding the cal/mag for coco or just to low of cal/mag and the coco sucks it all up.

coco is not easy to learn, thats why i haven't used it yet, too scared. if things seem not to work to good for you in coco with the TRF i will try the SS#4 mix and see what happens? that way we can see how different mediums work with the TRF.

It's just too good a medium to not at least give it a try, but maybe should have taken a more conservative tack on this grow.

I think those plants will recover - maybe use pure perlite next time for fewer variables?

or soil even ;)

Bull only. I don't believe this for a second. Pre-set alibi, IMO.
Why do you think 'mag deficiency'? Couple of ugly leaves, so what?
New growth good? Roll with it; one of lifes' little mysteries.

Pluck the ugly leaves, there are plenty of pretty ones. D&C

the voice of reason yet again

thank you, Mr. Gator

Sorry to see problems. I was selfishly looking forward to the grow being finished by the time I needed to buy flowering lights. But hey, I am along for the ride no matter what.

At least I know now that I should rinse the coco I bought from Osh.

Thanks for all the effort you are putting into this grow! :thanks:

Things are looking better today, so we may be on schedule.

Very glad you also found out about rinsing that coco.

Thanks for being here for the duration ;)

Update after yesterday's thorough flush:

LED plants:

IMG_6948.JPG

IMG_6949.JPG

IMG_6947.JPG

WOW!

The LED plants growth was explosive after the flush. They've gotten significantly bigger and bushier in 24 hours.

HID plants:

IMG_6950.JPG

IMG_6951.JPG

IMG_6952.JPG

IMG_6954.JPG

IMG_6953.JPG

The HID plants are looking much better today, so I'm going to LST all 8 plants tomorrow.

looks like we're back on track! :slide:

:thanks:

I'm inclined to think you've got a bit of salt toxicity myself.

Doesn't matter what the packaging says, it's always a good idea to give coco a good long rinse (and pre-treat with CalMag) oneself. I just don't trust the distributor to do those sorts of things for me. Large volume folks also like to buy bulk stuff for cheap and slap a brand label on it. Just the way it is.

Coconut trees tend to grow in (and tolerate) areas of high salinity by nature; some are right near the water, others are found further inland (i.e. lower salt). Canna Coco and the like are supposed to use more of the latter kind of coir (and pre-treat), but ya never know.

A little salt toxicity goes a long way, and tends to prevent other nutrients from being absorbed also. If you're going to stick with this batch of coco, try rinsing the hell out of it and see how the new growth looks. The prills'll probably hold up just fine.

(and yeah, it never hurts to check the runoff...)

No need to kill the grow though, it's a minor bump at best. Keep on truckin'! :thumb:

-TL

Won't repeat that mistake.

A very thorough flush seems to have improved things considerably.

Thanks TL, full speed ahead ;)

That's a totally :yummy: purple beauty, b.

I've 2nd thoughts on CRFs in my WTW coir grows.
If I must inoculate or supplement in any way, the deal's off.
Your drama SS, is word for me. Thankyou

Flushing for health? Nothing like a good purge.

@SS ive been using roots organics coco without rinsing (and some freinds have too)...so far so good... we did pre soak with 10ml/per gal cal-mag instead of 5ml tho.

Back
Top Bottom