600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be Irie

Re: 420 Cannasumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro's 600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be I

Just to give a quick update..... I swapped them over to 12/12 on 9/30 ( first dark period). I am trying to get some space issues figured out and then I will know which two plants are going to stay in the tents along with the original four. That should be figured out today. I have been busy taking care and starting to harvest some of my other projects, All the outdoor ladies are starting to finish up.....I will straighten out the tents and then get some pics of the ladies and will try and keep a much better journal for the flowering stage of this journal... Ok, enough chitchat, time for me to get back to the gardens..... :lot-o-toke:

Re: 420 Cannasumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro's 600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be I

Beautiful plants Be Irie. I'm new to growing and I can't decide between growing with soil or trying something that's new to me -hydroponics. By looking at your sweet plants, it looks like you know what your doing, so I wanted to know your opinion on this. What method do you recommend from your experience?

Hey everyone just wanted to stop by and let you guys know that i have 7 Spectra LED 360w panels up for sale at a discount price. The panels were used for one cycle 3.5 months on my last grow.

If anyone's interested please e-mail me at sales@growledhydro.com the price is $750 each and free shipping.

Looks like this is going to be good!

Great offer brother Mike, thank you.

How about making a post in the 420 Sponsors forum with this offer for more exposure? ;)

Ok, finally got a break for a bit to get some pics updated.. It's outdoor harvest time in Colorado....:yahoo: Things are going well, everyone is moving right along.. Plants are reaching for the lights, temps are good, ladies seem happy and bugs are under control for the time being.
Six plants each tent, both tent have the Satori,Chernobyl,SnoCap and 3rd Dimension clones. The HPS tent will have a Flav and Sour cream (Fem'd) from seeds and the LED will have a Blue cheese (clone) and Love Cheese (fem'd/seed) added to the mix.
The tents taken on 10/6
LEDtent1.jpg

LEDtentoff.jpg

hpstent1.jpg

HPStentoff.jpg

Plants taken 10/5
SnoCap
snowcap6.jpg

snowcapoverhead.jpg

Chernobyl
Chernobyl6.jpg

chernobyloverhead1.jpg

Satori
Satori5.jpg

satorioverhead1.jpg

3rd dimension
3rdDimension.jpg

3rdDimensionoverhead.jpg

Back to trimming I go.........
PS- Jacks, no matter what you decide, you have good people here willing to help you have a smooth grow.. I am partial to soil, always have been and always will be... I am a bit oldschool and IMHO don't think you can beat an organic soil grown plant...If your in it for the cake, then go hydro..... :ganjamon:

Erie,

I have been researching LEDs and am still on the fence. I'm a new grower setting up a medical grow for the first time. Would you say that 600W of Mike's LED is necessary for 6 plants? I need to flower 16 plants at a time (eventually) and am trying to figure out the best set up.

I've spoken to a medical grower who uses long bar 150W LEDs and he likes them but ultimately he says they work best for fullness to add a 400 or 600 HPS. He said he thinks the heat of the HPS helps the plants and he's seen the best results using both.

I truly don't want to mess with ballasts and bulbs and lots of heat as I have a smallish room and no AC (yet). I'm going into winter and an HPS might actually help with the cold.

I know your grow isn't over yet...I'm just so curious and anxious to find out the best way to set up my room..and then grow!!

THANKS!

Great grow just read the whole thing cant wait for the outcome ill be watching

Thanks for the updates, BE. Outdoor harvests can be daunting in their size. :goodluck:

i love flowering season, let the budding begin ;)

Hey guys, I just want to say thanks for all the kind words and reps that you throw my way.. The outdoor season is almost over, a few late bloomers left then I get some time back to myself.
Some pics of the ladies on day 20 of 12/12.. The mites are still around, temps have been good and the ladies seem to be moving along. I am about out of room in the HPS tent, have to figure out how to squeeze a little more headroom. The LED is about 8 inches off the canopy, the ladies are stacking up nicely..
Yes, when the plants are bigger, it makes a difference not only in quantity but in quality..... popcorn nuggies go into the hash pile... I won't usually lollipop plants under three feet, unless they are really dense.... The size of the plant determines how HIGH I will lollipop.. I go through every two weeks and remove the lackluster branches....
SnoCap-
Snocap3.jpg

HPS top of plant
SnoCapcanopyHPS.jpg

LED top of plant
SnocapcanopyLED.jpg

Satori-
Satori6.jpg

HPS
satoricanopyHPS.jpg

LED
satoricanopyLED.jpg

Chernobyl-
chernobyl7.jpg

HPS
CherncanopyHPS.jpg

LED
CherncanopyLED.jpg

3rd Dimension
3rdD1.jpg

HPS
3rdDcanopyHPS.jpg

LED
3rdDcanopyLED.jpg

:peacetwo:

I can't wait to see the yield comparison when the grow is said and done.
I followed along closely when you did your first grow with the procyon.
I'm really anxious to see how you end up flowering with the 600w led.

My first grow a year ago got cut short right as I went into flowering last year and had to burn all 6 of my plants. I'm about to try again and still debating on the led's.

I have a 4' 8 bulb t5 and was thinking of using 2 of the spectra led 120's along side it for 6 plants. All in all with the 3 lights I would be running about 800w give or take. What are you thoughts on running a set up like this as opposed to running a single spectra 600 like you are now? Of course the t5 will run 6500k bulbs in veg and will be changed to 3000k bulbs for flower. Do you think there is any benefit to mixing the two types of lights and having a larger foot print with multiple lights as opposed to the 1? Or do you think that the 120's just won't have the penetrating power the 600 has even with the t5 with them?

Yes, when the plants are bigger, it makes a difference not only in quantity but in quality..... popcorn nuggies go into the hash pile... I won't usually lollipop plants under three feet, unless they are really dense.... The size of the plant determines how HIGH I will lollipop.. I go through every two weeks and remove the lackluster branches....
hey irie thanx for the info i will keep this in mind for my next grow. :Rasta:
by looking at the pics. the led plants are obviously shorter, but do they seem to have more less or about the same amount of bud sites as the hps plants?
:tokin:

Hey guys, thanks and glad you guys are hanging in there with this journal....
First off, I would not use a LED light that was under 300 watts, and if I did I would bring in as much secondary lighting as I could fit i there... Seems like you would be fine with all the lighting you have planned.
The HPS plants seem to have more sites, not by much though, and they are almost twice the height as the LED plants. There was much more stretching in the HPS tent, so once everything starts to fill in, we should have a better grasp on how they may compare to each other... The HPS tent is jammed full with six plants, I could not get another one in there if I tried. The LED tent can fit about nine plants ( 3 rows of 3) with the outside edges getting the least amount of light. The six for the test get the best light positions. If I wasn't doing a test, I would have flipped the HPS to 12/12 a week or two earlier and would have let the LED's veg for a week or two longer.
I want to give you a quick rundown of what they have been feeding on.. They are in either a SS#4 with some goodies added or Roots soil with some goodies added.. I use the Roots and Earth juice line of nute's. The powdered versions are not as acidic as the liquid line, so I use the liquid line to drop my feeding PH as I try to use PH up/down as little as possible.. They get different guano's and a few extra organic boosters when they are in bloom.. I go with light nutes most of the time, and will throw in a heavy mix every so often.
I have enjoyed watching the LED plants ( know what the HPS will already do). I was a bit skeptical when I started this, but am liking what I am seeing in flowering. The LED's have come along way and will only get better and better.. They don't create the size the HPS does but that is not a bad thing... Quality over Quantity any day of the week... I can't wait until they are done, I am looking forward to not only seeing the difference in flowering but also in the final product......

PS, I also have seemed to have created a bionic strain of spider mites!!!! They take what I throw at them with a smile and not much of an effect... I think i saw one brushing his mite teeth with mite rid, then he gave me the finger with a bright white smile!!!!!! :loopy::peace:

I also have seemed to have created a bionic strain of spider mites!!!! They take what I throw at them with a smile and not much of an effect... I think i saw one brushing his mite teeth with mite rid, then he gave me the finger with a bright white smile!!!!!!

I think I had some of those last summer... :lot-o-toke:

Have you tried Hot Shot No Pest Strips?

Love your work Be! :morenutes: :thumb: :yummy:

Back
Top Bottom