300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

Re: 420 Cannasumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro 300w LED vs. 400w HID

If you don't need to because of air flow reasons or anything I'd leave them. No reason in taking a chance at lower yields due to less solar panels. I think that the hid plants having problems is part of the equation. No sense in taking away from the led plants because they didn't suffer the same stress. That might just be another advantage for using led's. Just an opinion.

I agree . It is not the Led plants fault that the Hps plants had problems. :smokin:

And also remember, that if you have a rectangular garden, it is important to position the longest side of the reflector parallel to the shortest side of your garden.

Could you expound on this for me?

very cool pics show allot more detail this way. the leds seems allot bushier for sure.

its cool that the fan dropped the temps in the HID tent for you. just show how effect HID can be if more people would take the time and ruining a proper setup. but then at the end that fan in the led tent would just lower those temps also, so it still works out to the same.

my 200CFM one is one the way, and soon ill have the 410CFM one in my other tent. that should handle the summer temps good.

well as you already know, i say cut the bottoms of the led plants if the canopy is dense ans light isn't hitting the very bottom, i truly dont think you will lose any yield bud gain it in that case. remind you i am saying this if light is lacking on the lower branches because all of ur plants in that size of tent is going to get dense.

i think the lower branches on the HID side will give them fatter tops and it might throw others off because looks is everything until it hits the scale.

but as you know i am all about lollipoping, IMO its very effective when growing bushy or tall plants. i much rather put that energy into the tops

If you don't need to because of air flow reasons or anything I'd leave them. No reason in taking a chance at lower yields due to less solar panels. I think that the hid plants having problems is part of the equation. No sense in taking away from the led plants because they didn't suffer the same stress. That might just be another advantage for using led's. Just an opinion.

I agree . It is not the Led plants fault that the Hps plants had problems. :smokin:

It's not fair! She did it!

Let them abscise naturally. The plant will pull nutes out until it can't then it will cut the leaf loose. They're not in the way are they?

I decided to remove just a very few bottom leaves from the LED plants that were in the way as regards watering, but that's all. I appreciate the feedback, it really does help me in making decisions.

BTW, how are Miss Victoria's clones, do they still live? Our cycles are almost synchronized, I am on day 15 with the Sharksbreath.

Vicky's clones are still alive and well, and I took a couple of cuttings from them to start two new moms that won't look quite as weird as the originals, which are now back to producing leaves that at least look like marijuana, lol.

Putting the original re-vegged clones under 24/24 put them back into proper vegetative growth, but I want two new moms that I plan to bonsai.

I also have two new PPP moms in 5" pots instead of the one I had in a big hempy bucket.

I'm going to flower the two original Sunset Kush moms and the original PPP mom, and then keep two bonsai PPP moms and two bonsai Sunset Kush.

Vicky's buds are curing and smoking really nicely, so it's a keeper strain for the indica side of things.

thanks bel ;)

Could you expound on this for me?

re: the proper orientation for a rectangular hood.

It has to do with the shape of the beam. If you have a rectangular grow space and a rectangular hood, you want the long sides of the hood perpendicular to the long sides of the grow space, not parallel or aligned with them.

The light beam spread out wider in that axis, so your rectangular area would have better coverage if you have enough room to orient the hood in that direction.

Doesn't seem the intuitive way to set it up, but it works better that way.

very cool pics show allot more detail this way. the leds seems allot bushier for sure.

It really does help to see them out of the tents and side-by-side. It's going to get pretty hard to take them out of the tents without damaging them very soon, so not sure how many more times I'll be able to do it before harvest.

its cool that the fan dropped the temps in the HID tent for you. just show how effect HID can be if more people would take the time and ruining a proper setup. but then at the end that fan in the led tent would just lower those temps also, so it still works out to the same.

After things settled in, both tents are now running almost exactly the same temps, but take note that I had to spend $138 on the upgraded exhaust fan to keep this grow going, so that's another expense I did not incur with the LED light.

but as you know i am all about lollipoping, IMO its very effective when growing bushy or tall plants. i much rather put that energy into the tops

I've been firmly in the other camp as regards lollypopping, but I'm sort of on the fence now. Your results being one of the things that helped put me there ;).

Sitting on a fence is a real PITA, lol.

Those plants look so beautiful and healthy SS!

:adore:

:peacetwo:

Marley

:thanks: Marley!

I got back into town around noon yesterday and had to wait until lights on at 5pm to see what I would find.

The hempy buckets were light, but plants weren't wilting yet, and flowering is moving right along in both tents.

Should have a very nice harvest in both tents if I can keep things on-track.

The PPP ladies are smelling very good, but not too stinky, so this may be a good strain for situations where lower odor would keep things stealthy.

pic update tonight ;)

SS, If what I grew was really "Old" Power Plant, I know what you mean about the smell. It reminds me of pot before the skunks made it this far south LOL Real old timey marijuanaey smell... fresh and clean... a calgon take me away olfactory moment :tokin:... or, maybe I'm just old and daft?

And glad to hear the pots held water :thumb:

:peace:

It really does help to see them out of the tents and side-by-side. It's going to get pretty hard to take them out of the tents without damaging them very soon, so not sure how many more times I'll be able to do it before harvest.
it does help but i here you on taking them out, once things get big and heavy its best to just leave them alone. ive made that mistake a few times, nothing like spending time tying them up and trying to get in the back of the tent.lol

After things settled in, both tents are now running almost exactly the same temps, but take note that I had to spend $138 on the upgraded exhaust fan to keep this grow going, so that's another expense I did not incur with the LED light.

good point.

I've been firmly in the other camp as regards lollypopping, but I'm sort of on the fence now. Your results being one of the things that helped put me there ;).

Sitting on a fence is a real PITA, lol.

ya you will never know until u try it;) i was always against it before, and always believe others on leaving the leafs alone because their the solar panels and all that other stuff, to a certain degree its to, but IMO when you have allot of leaves it will hurt yield not trimming them when the plants is very bushy. when you have a ton of leaves shading your buds they will be small. ive seen it tons of times. i like to cut my fan leaves in 1/2 1st to see if i can allow some light down but if that does help ill chop it in a heart beat. remember everyone this is just my opinion so no bashing.lol. but every time the Canopy is dense my buds suffer big time, but if i trim a few plants those ones always yield more. sometimes plants get bushy specially when LST'ing. but most of the time its the growers error from cramming too many big plants in a small area thinking their going to yield more, sometimes less is more. ive seen it 1st hand. my yield is going to suffer because of the the BS of them not flowering and vegging longer, my canopy is so dense now all my lower buds are going to suffer, good thing i lolliopoed and ill have at least some phat tops. theirs a time to do these things and a time not to. if my plants were small and i had light hitting all the way down i would not lollipop. but if the light isnt intense and my branch look weak and thin ill cut it off without thinking because i know small weak branches dont support heavy buds. i like putting all the energy into the top buds so i have nice fat grade A+ frosty buds that are very dense. i hat popcorn buds and their a pain in the ass to trim. but this is just my take on things. everyone has their own ways.

1 thing i dont understand why more coco growers just dont add some good old organic ferts to take care of the Cal issues? i was just looking at some organic TRF that have plenty of Cal and they feed for a month or two and are loaded with micro life. i know thats the way i would do it, pre charge my coco with that then just cruse along with no cal issues. i keep thinking maybe i am missing something? I dont understand why i haven't seen this yet? i know of a few brands of organic nutes that would care care of Cal/mag issues, but its mainly the Cal that has the issues witch leads to a mag def.

i can tell you another thing i am not going to do, is spend all kinds of money on products like Great White and other bene's when i could go to the hardware store and buy some organic ferts that have more beneficial's in it for $7 every 4lbs. i might use Great White because i can get it for free from a friend but i will not spend a few hundred dollars on it, when i can get a different brand that not sold at the hydro sore for $7 every 4lbs

1 thing i dont understand why more coco growers just dont add some good old organic ferts to take care of the Cal issues? i was just looking at some organic TRF that have plenty of Cal and they feed for a month or two and are loaded with micro life. i know thats the way i would do it, pre charge my coco with that then just cruse along with no cal issues. i keep thinking maybe i am missing something? I dont understand why i haven't seen this yet? i know of a few brands of organic nutes that would care care of Cal/mag issues, but its mainly the Cal that has the issues witch leads to a mag def.

i can tell you another thing i am not going to do, is spend all kinds of money on products like Great White and other bene's when i could go to the hardware store and buy some organic ferts that have more beneficial's in it for $7 every 4lbs. i might use Great White because i can get it for free from a friend but i will not spend a few hundred dollars on it, when i can get a different brand that not sold at the hydro sore for $7 every 4lbs

I am using the organic dynamite in some plants and having no significant calmag problems.

How do "organic" ferts like blood and feather meal do in soilless media?

Don't they require soil microorganisms to be processed properly?

I set up a planter with perlite as the medium, dosed it with "Dynamite Mater Magic", which is a time-release organic fert, and a couple of days after watering, it was smelling horrible.

Good to hear that you're doing good in coco with the organic Dynamite! It didn't seem compatible with pure perlite.

3 WEEKS FLOWERING

IMG_7421-1.JPG

IMG_7388.JPG
IMG_7405.JPG

LED plants:

IMG_7389.JPG

IMG_73911.JPG

IMG_7392.JPG

IMG_7397.JPG

IMG_7394.JPG

IMG_7399.JPG

IMG_7398.JPG

HID plants:

IMG_7404.JPG

IMG_7401.JPG

IMG_7408.JPG

IMG_7413.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG

IMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7425.JPG

I like what I'm seeing in both tents. The lights are both at 17", and I can't go lower than that with either of them before the plants start stressing.

I'm pretty much maxed out on headroom right now, so hoping stretch is completely done. My tents are only 64" tall, so that means that with either of these lights, if plants get taller than 2', there's going to be big trouble.

I could gain about 3-4" more on the LED light by re-doing the mounting system, still maintaining adequate clearance for cooling, but the HID hood is maxed out right now. I had to get rid of my nice ratcheting rope hangers to gain more headroom. The LED light is now mounted directly with just a couple of carabiner clips, and the HID light is mounted with one link of chain and carabiner clips. I could gain a couple more inches by ditching the carabiner clips if I have to, but hopefully, the ladies are done stretching.

If the HID plants stretch more, I'm going to have issues. It was a gamble to not LST them some more because it's too late now, the stems are too woody to bend without breaking. This size tent is really optimized for 250w HID lights and I think 400w is really pushing it. There's just not enough headroom, even with an air-cooled hood, unless you can keep your plants under 2' tall.

On the plus side, if you can manage the heat and light stress, the 400w HPS completely saturates the tent with bright light.

I don't think I'm going to lower the LED light from 17". It also completely saturates the tent, and I don't want to risk bleaching or burning my buds.

Both lights turn out to require more distance to canopy and headroom than I anticipated, but because of the LED's thinner profile and generously long mounting wires, it wins as far as headroom requirements, but not by a whole lot.

My tents are probably shorter than average at 64", so I'd take that into account if I was shopping for a tent to use with these lights.

The shorter stretch of the LED plants has now become a lot more attractive to me. Looks like short veg times would be a good idea under the 400w HID.

:thanks:

Wow! More great pics. I love the measurements on the pics. My brain looks at the pictures and sees like 3 feet between the plants and the lights. The numbers help put things into a better perspective. Thanks, it really helps with my decision process of when to flip my plants over to 12/12. :thumb:

I set up a planter with perlite as the medium, dosed it with "Dynamite Mater Magic", which is a time-release organic fert, and a couple of days after watering, it was smelling horrible.

Good to hear that you're doing good in coco with the organic Dynamite! It didn't seem compatible with pure perlite.

The plants are in hempies patterned after yours and the plants are loving the organic Dynamite so far. The organic Dynamite runoff definitely has a down on the farm smell. I don't let the run off sit around. Pour it into a bucket and dump it on my outdoor plants which love it too.

:popcorn::blunt:

re: the proper orientation for a rectangular hood.

It has to do with the shape of the beam. If you have a rectangular grow space and a rectangular hood, you want the long sides of the hood perpendicular to the long sides of the grow space, not parallel or aligned with them.

The light beam spread out wider in that axis, so your rectangular area would have better coverage if you have enough room to orient the hood in that direction.

Doesn't seem the intuitive way to set it up, but it works better that way.
Thanks SS, I'll file that little tidbit under, I learn something new every day.
This forum is a genuine wealth of information.

I am using the organic dynamite in some plants and having no significant calmag problems.
:thumb: i seen it has cal but no mag right in those ferts right?
How do "organic" ferts like blood and feather meal do in soilless media?

Don't they require soil microorganisms to be processed properly?

i am sure some soiless mediums have microorganisms that can break down the organics like SS#4. perlite and hydroton are a bit different then most other soiless mediums. most organics ferts are loaded with micro life that will break down all the organic matter for the plants, even in coco. i for one do not like the all perlite, its cool for a fast fix or flushing and stuff, but doesnt sute my needs and is too much work and time for my liking.

:thumb: i seen it has cal but no mag right in those ferts right?

The bottles don't say anything about mag. There was a small quantity of epsom salt in the water I initially used to pretreat the coco.

Back
Top Bottom