420 Magazine Sponsored Grow Extravaganza Featuring NextLight Mega, GeoFlora Nutes & More!

Hey Krip :passitleft: Nice looking Chems.

What are your thoughts about trimming on flowering? I trimmed my BG41 for the last time on 18thish day of flowering. I won't touch them anymore but this time I am providing light for every part of the plant so I am expecting more yield. I used to trim only the big top fan leaves and weaker lower parts but this time I went hard. Plant recovered in two days though...
When I was doing hydro and the hempy SOG, I used to defoliate (not just a trim, but Lizzie Borden style!) on days #21 and #45 of flower to open up light to the bud sites. With organic soil, I try to leave the fans on, if possible, and tuck leaves to open up the bud sites. Those fans are key to photosynthesis and, while I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, I would think the quality would suffer if the plant wasn't able to photosynthesize to full potential during flower.

CAPTAINS LOG - ONE DAY BEFORE FLIP

We're one day away from flipping to 12/12 although, since I've been running veg at 24/0, Saturday will technically be the first full day of 12/12, so that's where I'll start the count.

The four plants have done a good job of filling up the veg tent with a fairly even canopy, and they all are healthy. Since they're all new strains, I have no idea how much they'll stretch and I'm playing it a little safe with about 2' I can still raise the light. I should have done a good job of maximizing the available space in the 4' x 4' tent when it's all said and done. I have grown the Platinum Cake in the past, and she did stretch quite a bit, but this is a new seed (pheno?) so anything could happen.

Below are the pics from today. The last one shows relative distance to the light, but again, I can still raise it another 2' and, one of the nice things about the NextLight Mega is that, if they get too close, I can always use the dimmer function! ;)

That being said, I'm hoping to run flower at close to full power. Flower Power, Baby! :hippy:

Happy Harvests!

K

We're one day away from flipping to 12/12 although, since I've been running veg at 24/0, Saturday will technically be the first full day of 12/12, so that's where I'll start the count.

The four plants have done a good job of filling up the veg tent with a fairly even canopy, and they all are healthy. Since they're all new strains, I have no idea how much they'll stretch and I'm playing it a little safe with about 2' I can still raise the light. I should have done a good job of maximizing the available space in the 4' x 4' tent when it's all said and done. I have grown the Platinum Cake in the past, and she did stretch quite a bit, but this is a new seed (pheno?) so anything could happen.

Below are the pics from today. The last one shows relative distance to the light, but again, I can still raise it another 2' and, one of the nice things about the NextLight Mega is that, if they get too close, I can always use the dimmer function! ;)

That being said, I'm hoping to run flower at close to full power. Flower Power, Baby! :hippy:

Happy Harvests!
Damn Krip, doesn't matter what you use for nutrients, your plants look chronic like back in the day. Great grower bud, when you achieve this level its all grower and genetics. imo
You always grow fire Krip :passitleft:

Damn Krip, doesn't matter what you use for nutrients, your plants look chronic like back in the day. Great grower bud, when you achieve this level its all grower and genetics. imo
You always grow fire Krip :passitleft:
Thanks for the compliments, Brother! :thanks:

The truth is, most of the nutrients on the market that are made for cannabis can grow some great meds given, as you mentioned, you start with good genetics. The one thing I try to focus on is providing a good environment. Get the right temps, RH, good ventilation/circulation, protection from pests, and keep them on the right light schedule with a decent light and you'll end up with some good plants.

I do like how easy and inexpensive the GeoFlora nutes are. Considering I grew in hydro for close to eight years using the AN line which has about eight different additives, growing some great organic meds in soil by top dressing one mix every two weeks is pretty simple and appealing! :rofl:

Happy Harvests!

K
Congratulations Mr. Krip; very nice healthy looking plants that bode well for both you and Geoflora. I am pretty curious how much power your plants can actually take from the MegaLight. I run mine at 2 feet distance and always stay below 200 W even though its output is up to 650 W.

When I tried upping the power of the MegaLight to just 250 W my Gorilla Glue plant when into a health nosedive to the point I thought it would die so I don't give any of my plants more than 200 W with this light so I'm curious how much you can give your plants. I wasn't getting light burn but I think the extra light caused a nute deficiency so maybe if I increased my nutes I could have used more wattage but I didn't want to ruin my Gorilla Glue experimenting so I played it safe and went back to the territory I know that works.

I have one of these little units to check my wattage in the first photo. Here I am comparing on the left the power I give my MegaLight to the right by the color you can tell I am checking my blurple. It's amazing how much more light I get from 199 W with the MegaLight compared to the blurple you can see in the second picture running at 254 W. I do love my MegaLight. Thanks again 420 Mag.

IMG_5947[1].jpg

IMG_5946.JPG

Congratulations Mr. Krip; very nice healthy looking plants that bode well for both you and Geoflora. I am pretty curious how much power your plants can actually take from the MegaLight. I run mine at 2 feet distance and always stay below 200 W even though its output is up to 650 W.

When I tried upping the power of the MegaLight to just 250 W my Gorilla Glue plant when into a health nosedive to the point I thought it would die so I don't give any of my plants more than 200 W with this light so I'm curious how much you can give your plants. I wasn't getting light burn but I think the extra light caused a nute deficiency so maybe if I increased my nutes I could have used more wattage but I didn't want to ruin my Gorilla Glue experimenting so I played it safe and went back to the territory I know that works.

I have one of these little units to check my wattage in the first photo. Here I am comparing on the left the power I give my MegaLight to the right by the color you can tell I am checking my blurple. It's amazing how much more light I get from 199 W with the MegaLight compared to the blurple you can see in the second picture running at 254 W. I do love my MegaLight. Thanks again 420 Mag.

IMG_5947[1].jpg

IMG_5946.JPG

Hmmmmm :hmmmm: ..... Interesting...I'll have to pick up a Kill-a-Watt and check it out. On an earlier grow, I ran about 900w (actual draw) of blurples and didn't have any problems except some mild bleaching of some tops that were closest to the lights. I've been running veg at some reduced power since you really don't need much to veg good plants but would think I could easily get 400-600+ watts in a 4' x 4' without much problems.

Could it have been the temps or RH out of whack when you upped the wattage?

Hmmmmm :hmmmm: ..... Interesting...I'll have to pick up a Kill-a-Watt and check it out. On an earlier grow, I ran about 900w (actual draw) of blurples and didn't have any problems except some mild bleaching of some tops that were closest to the lights. I've been running veg at some reduced power since you really don't need much to veg good plants but would think I could easily get 400-600+ watts in a 4' x 4' without much problems.

The temps and Rh were consistent when my plants went for a dump and once I turned the lights back down they recovered completely so I can't see it being anything other than the increased light intensity that was my problem.

My growing area depending on the plant or plants is usually 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 but always 2 feet away so if you can run 400 to 600 W in a 4 x 4 area I would be pretty impressed but maybe with additional nutes to compensate you will be okay. Good luck, it should be interesting.

I’ve run 600w of QB in a 4x4 with zero issues.
Exactly! The only issue with those watts in a 4' x 4' should be in the ability to manage the temps (ventilation).
I am not going to argue with two powerhouse growers; I am just reporting what I experienced. I hope you can run 650 W in a 4' x 4' I am just saying I couldn't run 250W at 2' distance. Your mileage may vary. I am curious what wattage you can run with it. My experience with that light is less is more as far as wattage.

I am not going to argue with two powerhouse growers; I am just reporting what I experienced. I hope you can run 650 W in a 4' x 4' I am just saying I couldn't run 250W at 2' distance. Your mileage may vary. I am curious what wattage you can run with it.
And, we're not arguing with what you experienced, either, Brother! :high-five:

The difference may be that I'm spreading the 650w across the full 4' x 4' with four plants, so each plant gets an average of something like 160w and you have all your watts concentrated on one plant? :hmmmm:

I had some bleaching on some of my nugs with 2x Viparspectra R300's. I wasn't aware that this was because of lightburn. Buds seemed very dense and healthy.

And, we're not arguing with what you experienced, either, Brother! :high-five:

The difference may be that I'm spreading the 650w across the full 4' x 4' with four plants, so each plant gets an average of something like 160w and you have all your watts concentrated on one plant? :hmmmm:
Cool, Bro. :high-five: On a gut level, the multiple plant theory doesn't ring true to me but recent history has shown how relying on one's gut isn't always the best strategy. :oops:

I am just curious and hope you do get a wattage meter to tell how much power you are giving your plants. :thumb:

Cool, Bro. :high-five: On a gut level, the multiple plant theory doesn't ring true to me but recent history has shown how relying on one's gut isn't always the best strategy. :oops:

I am just curious and hope you do get a wattage meter to tell how much power you are giving your plants. :thumb:
Just ordered this:

1597356231679.png

It was cheaper than the Kill-a-Watt and had better reviews! ;)

It should be here Saturday and I'll let you know where we end up.

I feed pretty hard in flower so that may make a difference
I totally agree Penny. I think it was you that suggested I had a nute deficiency when I turned my lights up so I think if I would have increased my nute dosage the plant might have been able to tolerate the higher wattage. But I didn't want to risk my plant trying to find the proper nute amount to balance out the increased wattage. But then again I was already giving 6 g MC per gallon so I was giving the plant the recommended amount of nutes so my thinking at the time was I was giving it probably about the right amount of light also. Again this is all just conjecture.

Just ordered this:

1597356231679.png

It was cheaper than the Kill-a-Watt and had better reviews! ;)

It should be here Saturday and I'll let you know where we end up.
Cool, I look forward to seeing where you end up. :bravo:

6 grams of MC is a lot per gallon.
Yes, that is the maximum recommended dosage so my point being if it was happy at 6 g per gallon I would think the plant would be getting enough light at 200 W but maybe it can take way more wattage at higher potencies.

Back
Top Bottom