420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Brett Blaze

That was an hour and 14 minutes ago?! Come on already! Speed it up already.

:ganjamon:

Came here to copy your intro for another journal I'm starting. Figured I should tell you about the burglary. Don't want to be strolling around here with that kind of guilt.

No problem with the burglary. Read the quote in my signature. :laugh:

#1 and #2: Stage - Veg Day 2 - 16 days above ground

#3 and #4: Stage - Seedling Day 12

Today's temperatures will reach101° F (38° C) with Rh going below 15%.

Tent Climate: 78° F (26° C) with Rh at 70%

Tent Room Climate: 78° F (26°C) with Rh at 56%

Current Outside Temperature at 09:angel: 84° F (29° C) Rh 35%

Well after their long light period both transplants look pretty good. After adding the additional nutrients, color seems to be better too.

#3 and #4 still growing nicely.

Update 05122021-1.jpg

Update 05122021-7.jpg

Update 05122021-3.jpg

Update 05122021-5.jpg

Update 05122021-2.jpg

Update 05122021-8.jpg

Update 05122021-4.jpg

Update 05122021-6.jpg

Update 05122021-9.jpg

Update 05122021-10.jpg

:peace: :passitleft:

I am still deciding whether to use 3 gallon or 5 gallon final pots. The 5 gallon appear huge in this tent and two 3 gallon pots may be best. If I go with 3 gallon I think I'll go with Air Pots.

I am still deciding whether to use 3 gallon or 5 gallon final pots. The 5 gallon appear huge in this tent and two 3 gallon pots may be best. If I go with 3 gallon I think I'll go with Air Pots.
I was looking last night at the Root Maker website. The 3 gallons are sold out. I need to check again to see if there are any distributors close to me. I really like the root development of the small root makers. I want to get some for my next round of seedlings to see the growth difference. Also, their shipping is a little nuts. I would much rather find somewhere else that sells them instead of paying $20 for shipping. Has Amazon made us into a bunch of shipping cheapo shoppers?!

I just ordered two 3.6 gal Air-Pots. The Root Maker type if they were available would only be about $3 less than the Air-Pots on Amazon.

I tried to buy the Air-Pots from other retailers but the smallest quantity available was 12 and direct is 5.

Hey BA

#1 and #2 are 4 days older than #3 and #4. I germinated 2 additional seeds when I lost two due to drowning (my fault). I hadn't used peat pellets before and they were too saturated. So 1 and 2 became seedlings (cotyledon opens) on April 26th, 10 days ago. 3 and 4 opened on April 30th and are 6 days old. Hopefully this provides a better way for you to compare growth.

When creating the Stage - Seedling: Day in the Header I split the difference to make it easy.

Typically seedlings stage is 2 to 3 weeks so 1 and 2 have 4 to 11 days more in seedling stage. I usually wait until I have three well developed nodes before I change to Veg stage. At that time they will go into 1 gal grow bags until I get 6 nodes.

I think there are a lot of different ways people determine Veg stage. When using nutrients that change in Veg it would be nice to have a standard. Maybe Matthew @Prescription Blend can comment on when he suggests starting Veg stage therefore changing the nutrient formula and strength.

:peace:
@Dano999 4 days difference won’t matter really in a few weeks but it’s good to know when looking at them this young for comparison. From your most recent post it looks like you chose a good time to get them on the veg week 1 feed.

I think this is a good question: When is a seedling not a seedling anymore and when do you start tracking veg time.

I think that I’d like to add another variable to this choice. I have always considered the time since germination but also how vigorously the plant is growing. I agree with you that the seedling stage usually last for 2-3 weeks but I’d also add that it should have 3-4 sets of true leaves and should be starting to show vigorous growth. This are the criteria I look for when I switch to veg feed.

@Dano999 4 days difference won’t matter really in a few weeks but it’s good to know when looking at them this young for comparison. From your most recent post it looks like you chose a good time to get them on the veg week 1 feed.

I think this is a good question: When is a seedling not a seedling anymore and when do you start tracking veg time.

I think that I’d like to add another variable to this choice. I have always considered the time since germination but also how vigorously the plant is growing. I agree with you that the seedling stage usually last for 2-3 weeks but I’d also add that it should have 3-4 sets of true leaves and should be starting to show vigorous growth. This are the criteria I look for when I switch to veg feed.
Thanks Matthew. I think we have the same timing method. I wait until I get a good established third node to consider them in Veg. For this group that's about 2 weeks.

#1 and #2: Stage - Veg Day 3 - 17 days above ground

#3 and #4: Stage - Seedling Day 13

Today's temperatures will reach 102° F (39° C) with Rh going below 15%.

Tent Climate: 79° F (26° C) with Rh at 70%

Tent Room Climate: 73° F (26°C) with Rh at 63%

Current Outside Temperature at 08:hmmmm: 82° F (28° C) Rh 38%

1 and 2 are looking good with visible growth over the last two days. 3 and 4 are producing good 3rd nodes and will be transplanted tonight.

Lights are at 2/3 power and set at 28" above 1 and 2. I'm reading 460 PPFD (24500 Lux) for 1 and 2 and 400 PPFD for 2 and 3.

Today's photos.

Update 05132021-1.jpg

Update 05132021-2.jpg

Update 05132021-3.jpg

Update 05132021-4.jpg

Update 05132021-5.jpg

Update 05132021-6.jpg

Update 05132021-7.jpg

Update 05132021-8.jpg

Update 05132021-9.jpg

Update 05132021-10.jpg

The transplant for 3 and 4 was successful. #3 got a little bent over the ordeal. I hope she straightens up by tomorrow because I won't take insubordination.

Transplant 05132021-1.jpg

Stage - Veg Day 4 - 18 days above ground

Today's temperatures will reach 102° F (39° C) with Rh going below 15%.

Tent Climate: 80° F (27° C) with Rh at 69%

Tent Room Climate: 73° F (26°C) with Rh at 62%

Current Outside Temperature at 08:00: 90° F (28° C) Rh 27%

Good Morning fellow growers.

No signs of stress from last nights transplants. All plants are officially in Veg and the Veg clock is based on the first two since 4 days won't mean much from this point on.

All plants took more water this morning than I expected even after a good watering last night. After 7 oz. I finally got some run off.

Today's photos.

Transplant 05142021-1.jpg

Transplant 05142021-2.jpg

Transplant 05142021-3.jpg

Transplant 05142021-4.jpg

Transplant 05142021-5.jpg

Transplant 05142021-6.jpg

Transplant 05142021-7.jpg

Transplant 05142021-8.jpg

Transplant 05142021-9.jpg

Transplant 05142021-10.jpg

They are looking great! I need to find time soon and go back to see what you did differently. I am only a few days behind you yet my babies look like they are a week or two behind in growth. I wonder if my likely over watering the first few caused them to stall out like that. I would imagine so. Keep it up Dano!

They are looking great! I need to find time soon and go back to see what you did differently. I am only a few days behind you yet my babies look like they are a week or two behind in growth. I wonder if my likely over watering the first few caused them to stall out like that. I would imagine so. Keep it up Dano!
Thanks BA. I over watered at the beginning and it slowed down the growth. That's why I am a little anal right now when I water. I water real slow with a 60 ml Garden Syringe. Since I am in Coco I currently apply 60 ml at a time for the first 4 oz. Then 30 ml at a time until I get run off. If I was doing soil I would most likely over water since I am so used to Hydro.

I looked at them this morning. They look happy as clams and the top of the soil looks like the surface of Mars! Haaa haaa...it took everything in me to close the tent back up and walk away. LOL. One thing I will be doing is utilizing more foliar sprays with the SNS209 from @Sierra Natural Science . Since I can't really do full soil drenches quite yet, I figured this would be a good way to incorporate the benefit of that product.

Yes, I forgot that with coco and Hydro, the growth patterns are completely different. Thanks for that reminder. I need to retune my brain on watering though. It doesn't help that I'm using different containers right now. I'm still not convinced on one way or another. I like trying new things all the time. Leads to failures though like the bone dry jiffy pellet last week.

#4, although in a 1 gallon net pot, is not the same brand as the others. I thought I bought four 1 gal net pots from Geopot but apparently I only bought three. Luckily I had some Vivosun 1 gal net pots but the Vivosun are smaller. More like 3 liters than 1 gallon. It may have affect when roots start showing earlier on the smaller pot.

@Dano999 which air pruning pots did you end up going with again? From Amazon right? I was looking at some from other sites but their damn shipping is like $30 minimum. Urgh. I have been trying other nonconventional root pruning containers with great success (bonsai). I will be utilizing some of those for at least 1 plant. I would like to get my hands on "official" root maker style pots soon.

I am guessing that those style pots will add another bit of trial and error with watering. Lol. Since they dry out faster. Easiest method at this point that I can think of is weighing them dry to have a reference point.

I purchased two "Superoots Air-Pot THAP5 3.6 Gallon/13.8 Liter" from Amazon for $39 including taxes. Free shipping.

I think for Coco these will be great since I water twice a day.

51LDdA3B+tS._AC_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom