906 Cabin Fever Sour Daddy Auto Experiment

We have very little snow this year as well, which is very odd seeing I live in the snow belt. The cold is on a whole nother level tho. Im surrounded by smaller lakes and corn fields so the wind cuts through whatever you wear.

How bad is the snow by the big lake this year? We've got the cold in the mid-state LP, but almost no snow.

Aside from the western highlands and the Keweenaw peninsula Snow has been relatively light this year so far, there's maybe a foot of snow in the average front yard around town, but the typically big months are just around the corner.

We have very little snow this year as well, which is very odd seeing I live in the snow belt. The cold is on a whole nother level tho. Im surrounded by smaller lakes and corn fields so the wind cuts through whatever you wear.

Leather jacket over fleece hoodie works well here .

Here's my front yard some years ago...
thermo.jpg

thanks to climate change we haven't seen 30 below for a long time but we still do run into 10 day stretches where it never gets above zero. Very few zero degree days so far this year but I see temps are forecast much downward over the next week....

Wow thats cold it only get like that here with the windchill without sing digits are normal winter days. Yes this coming week its supposed to get chilly -10°F with the windchill is in the forcast where I'm at.

Last night I switched to the 200w burple. I picked up a misting bottle and sprayed the inside of a 1 gal plastic jug which encloses the entire solo cup, I cut a hole in the top to allow full lumens to hit the perlite. Curly seems to be bulking up a bit altho the leaves haven't enlarged much ...

IMG_20190117_054104040.jpg
IMG_20190117_054246487.jpg

Looks heathy to me. My seeds that I planted, were also all small ones. My friend has 4 autos going, all planted the same day (by me) and sprouted within 18 hrs of eacother. Looking at them, you would have thought they were several days apart from each other. One is massive, while one is just a little tiny feller, other two are average size for the age

Looks heathy to me. My seeds that I planted, were also all small ones. My friend has 4 autos going, all planted the same day (by me) and sprouted within 18 hrs of eacother. Looking at them, you would have thought they were several days apart from each other. One is massive, while one is just a little tiny feller, other two are average size for the age

I have a 2nd seed soaking, due to hit the paper towels tonight, will be interesting to compare. Males tend to be larger...? Or are all 4 of your friend's autos already female or feminized?

Wow thats cold it only get like that here with the windchill without sing digits are normal winter days. Yes this coming week its supposed to get chilly -10°F with the windchill is in the forcast where I'm at.

Good grief, according to THIS LINK we are the #1 'Livable' place to live in winter. It's bad enough when we are swamped with summer tourists. Marquette is doomed to become another Traverse City type of town, I am glad I won't be around to experience the full transition.

Good grief, according to THIS LINK we are the #1 'Livable' place to live in winter. It's bad enough when we are swamped with summer tourists. Marquette is doomed to become another Traverse City type of town, I am glad I won't be around to experience the full transition.

My latitude falls in between all of them, suppose I will stick by the greenbelt

Whoops! Little Curly got stressed one way or another.... I took a look just before I headed out on some errands and either the new IR light was too intense or the top opening on the new dome allowed too much moisture to escape .... In the first pic above in my earlier post, I see now the top was not facing straight up so the fatigue was probably already started. I replaced the original smaller dome and left the cap on it and went back to the smaller daylight LED bulb (9w, 1500 lumens) and when I got back a while ago all was good again and the leaves even appear slightly larger. Not sure if I should go back to the burple light a little further away .... it's advertised at a 200w hps equivalent. I'll probably give that a try overnight and see if the top stays facing up or not...

here is droopy Curly...
p1.jpg

vs Happy Curly a couple hours later

p2.jpg

I changed back to the burple lamp setup last night as previously pictured above. That dome has an opening on the top ... this morning the dome appeared completely dry inside. Removing it, I felt the surface of the perlite and could detect no moisture, RH here is down to 24 now as local windchill has kicked in to below zero.

By chance I moved a bit of the perlite against the plant and it tipped right over, exposing a root no longer than possibly an inch. I ordered a bag of coarse vermiculite which I will use in the top half of the solo cup to insure enough moisture going forward until I can better deal with RH. It just seems to me that the perlite is not wicking up moisture fast enough to accommodate the evap rate from the low RH.

Until the vermiculite arrives on Wednesday, I have placed the solo cup into a 6Qt wastebasket I got yesterday ($1 at Family Dollar). With no hole drilled yet I put enough water in to come up to within a couple inches of the top of the solo cup, thus over-riding the lower drain hole. This also allows me to enclose the top of the basket with the light in place. If this setup works such that Curly shows great improvement by Wednesday I may not bother with vermiculite.

The 2nd seed I soaked 2.5 days ago sank within a couple hrs but did not open yet, I put it in wet paper towel and will probably just leave it there until the vermiculite arrives.

Will post a pic of the cup-in-a-basket setup soon. With Curly a week out of the seed now, I am thinking of adding maybe 50ppm super low dose nutrient to the wash ...

I lived in Marquette for 5 years in the 90's for college. Loved it up there. I could walk to Vango's and watch Jim and Ray play. Hell, we walked to the Wooden Nickel, and and down to Remmy's too.
Stay warm my friend!

Not looking too good here, about 12 days rooting in perlite and there are just 2 strange mutant-looking leaves. I just refreshed the water bath in the wastebasket and soaked one more seed as the one I soaked about 5 days ago has not opened. The water bath is ph 5.8 going in but goes to 6.5 the next day... should probably scrub the wastebaskets before use, I just put some bath water into the other unused wastebasket so I can check that tomorrow. I did rinse the perlite before use, not sure why the ph would otherwise change....

As soon as I have another sprouted seed I think Curly will be replaced with a fresh / unstressed seedling.

IMG_20190121_085224633.jpg

I have had a few seeds soak for 3 days without splitting open the shell, still put them in paper towel in a warm location (inside my tent with a bowl on top keeping out the light)....after a few days in there, they had all sprouted a root. I used to be to quick to toss them away, but as the supply dwindled, I took more time to let them develop.

There is a decent chance yours may not have sprouted, but it may have surprised you. I noticed the warmer the location, the quicker the sprouting. I have tried several locations, but inside the tent is always the quickest for me

I have had a few seeds soak for 3 days without splitting open the shell, still put them in paper towel in a warm location (inside my tent with a bowl on top keeping out the light)....after a few days in there, they had all sprouted a root. I used to be to quick to toss them away, but as the supply dwindled, I took more time to let them develop.

There is a decent chance yours may not have sprouted, but it may have surprised you. I noticed the warmer the location, the quicker the sprouting. I have tried several locations, but inside the tent is always the quickest for me

I am keeping the seed wet in paper towel above a warm air radiator and will give it a couple weeks before I give up on it. I soaked one more seed anyway as it is the last free seed I have.

Back
Top Bottom