Advice on number of plants per tent

Terpy

420 Member
Hi guys,

Sorry I'm sure this question has been asked a ton but I couldn't find any info on my specific situation, I do have a rough idea of how many plants I could fit in this tent after reading a lot of grow journals however I'd just like some clarification from any of you veterans please. This would be my first grow but as I'm planning to use a rDWC system (Preferably with tank outside the tent) and I want to spend some time making sure of my plan before purchasing any equipment.

The biggest tent from Mars Hydro I can find is the Mars Hydro TS 3000W LED+150x150x200cm Grow tent, I'm assuming this light is perfect for this area as it comes as a package?

Approximately how many plants could I fit in this with my own rDWC system without overcrowding it but also maximizing the space/yield?

Also would a combination of smaller lights be a better shout or is the MH TS 300W the best bet?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and I look forward to hopefully sharing my journey with you!

-Terpy

5x5 i sould say max of 6.
Me i would have 5.
depends what else you have in there.
Heaters humidifiers etc.

Also if you have not bought a light and canopy is going to be level ish.
I would look at bar lights the even spread is something to behold. :)

Hi guys,

Sorry I'm sure this question has been asked a ton but I couldn't find any info on my specific situation, I do have a rough idea of how many plants I could fit in this tent after reading a lot of grow journals however I'd just like some clarification from any of you veterans please. This would be my first grow but as I'm planning to use a rDWC system (Preferably with tank outside the tent) and I want to spend some time making sure of my plan before purchasing any equipment.

The biggest tent from Mars Hydro I can find is the Mars Hydro TS 3000W LED+150x150x200cm Grow tent, I'm assuming this light is perfect for this area as it comes as a package?

Approximately how many plants could I fit in this with my own rDWC system without overcrowding it but also maximizing the space/yield?

Also would a combination of smaller lights be a better shout or is the MH TS 300W the best bet?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and I look forward to hopefully sharing my journey with you!

-Terpy
2 square foot per plant is perfect spacing, but you can deviate as do most.
This is 5 in a Mars 5x5. I don’t recommend any tighter than this. Airflow is VERY important.

5D707C7D-07E8-4668-8337-275CB90F7308.jpeg

Brilliant thanks a lot for your reply Skunksta and AdaminCO - I am ideally looking at growing more than 5 as I ideally need a fairly high yield from each harvest. Admittedly for my first grow I shouldn't be biting off more than I can chew but it's more about initial investment and making sure I will be using the same tent / lights in future to avoid buying equipment again.

Ideally I should probably look at a tent twice this size then too fit my harvest needs (desires!), unfortunately where I am there doesn't seem to be a great deal on offer in regards to tents and MH is the best/biggest I've found.

Which bar lights would you recommend please and I'm guessing I'd need two to be suitable for this sized tent?

Again thanks for your insight, very much appreciated!

-Terpy

Look at the mars range for the size your need
@Mars Hydro
I can only comment with truth on what i haved used.
And i have no complants at all great lights.
And sounds like your in the maket for more of a 8x8 tent.
Ever thought about turning a room if smell is not an issue to a space.
Also two tents next to each other is another way of doing things.
Gives you bigger scope to veg and flower.
One tent IF you intend on an on going grow can slow things down ALOT.

;)

Hi guys,

i sure wouldn't assume that. i try stuff the biggest rig i can in to a space. most combos come with an 'adequate' light. i like better than adequate.

give each plant 2 sq/ft.

if maximizing yield look into scrogging or other training methods.

i prefer one big light over an even canopy, but there are many ways to get there.

Ideally I should probably look at a tent twice this size then too fit my harvest needs (desires!), unfortunately where I am there doesn't seem to be a great deal on offer in regards to tents and MH is the best/biggest I've found.

if you are posting here you have access to anything. you don't have to stick with the mars.
i like mars packages for new folk though. i see nothing wrong with them. there are longer lasting tents, but you'll pay for them.

Which bar lights would you recommend please and I'm guessing I'd need two to be suitable for this sized tent?

there are piles of good lights i could recommend. a lot comes down to budget.

Unfortunately smell is a huge issue so a tent is required,

odour control is accomplished through ventilation. be prepared to vent to outdoor, especially if going as big as you would like. it will be a requirement, you won't have the option.

I did see Mars Hydro offers a 8x8 however it's not available where I live.

again if you are posting, everything is available. 90% of us get our stuff off the net.

I'll check out your posts regarding the lights and see if I can make a better informed decision, thanks a lot for your time !

getting informed on lighting is the number 1 most important thing you can do. there is no other larger factor.

Thanks a lot for your in-depth reply Bluter!

Your right and with just a few more minutes research I have found plenty of tents 8x8 from Mars Hydro and Vivosun, they would requiring shipping international but that's not a major deal.

I'll have to read up on ventilation some more, there is a lot too consider when starting and I've definitely not got through the wealth of information available here not even close, I was hoping to avoid outside ventilation as it poses a bit of a logistical challenge to say the least but if it's a requirement I will have to figure something out!

I'd appreciate your input on lights if you don't mind. I'd rather buy once and have a fantastic light for my plants than skimp however I would prefer to keep the light cost under $1000 if possible. I'm looking at doing 8-10 plants in an 8x8 now so if you could recommend any lights for that setup I'd be very grateful.

From reading the specifications I would be needing something like 2x Mars Hydro FC 6500 for proper coverage in this sized tent?

Again thanks a lot for your input, I have a billion things to learn before getting started especially concerning the rDWC setup as that's something I will need to build without a clear guide but I'm very exciting to begin this journey, buying overpriced meds has been my standard for far too long!

Hi guys,

-Terpy
Good morning @Terpy welcome to 420magazine my friend.
First let me say before you buy anything check our sponsors.
You will get a discount on your equipment and we like to use them when ever possible. :Namaste:
5x5 is a decent size.
I always liked to have 2'x2' per plant in my flower room.
Way less in veg.
If you put in 4 plants you would have a decent amount of space per plant and only 4 girls to tend for your first grow, quite doable.
And a decent amount to harvest.
I'm always around if you need anything just do this @Bill284 and I'll get the message right away.
If you get a chance here is a link to start a journal so we all can follow along and help.

Stay safe
Bill

at 8 x 8 i would be looking at 2 of the fc8000 if sticking with mars. the 65's would probably fly just fine, the 8's would be a lock.

again there is other ways to get there. mars recommends running c02 on their larger rigs, but it's definitely not a requirement. i run rigs as big and have no real need for it.

Thanks a lot Bill, I will for sure take a look at the sponsors. As soon as I start my grow I'll be sure to make a journal so everyone can follow (And I have no doubts I will also benefit from the vast amount of knowledge people here have!) but probably a month or so away.

Right now is plan & prepare so I am hopefully doing everything the best I can, I've read many stories here of failed grows and if possible I'd like to avoid that complete heartbreak (although like everything you don't grow without failing!).

Very happy to be here thanks for the comment and info <3

Again thanks a lot for your input, I have a billion things to learn before getting started especially concerning the rDWC setup as that's something I will need to build without a clear guide but I'm very exciting to begin this journey, buying overpriced meds has been my standard for far too long!

dwc / rdwc is a lot for a new grower to take on and requires the largest investment in gear of any method.
i don't recommend it for a new grower at all. the learning curve is steep.

look at an hp type media or even coco or hempy to start. hempy is the cheapest of all methods and can be very rewarding. i teach it to a group of seniors locally. starting with any of those 3 choices will be much easier on you though

I did read about C02 and how it can increase yield so it's on my list of things too research properly.

don't worry about c02. you won't need it for a long long time if ever.

If its going to be sometime and its your first grow.
Grab a auto bean and a cheap 50 watt light and have a play.
Its a lot of money to invest a quick test run could save you a lot in the long run.

Also my vote would be the 6500s./x2 tents
Good luck my friend. ;)

you would probably be better served with two 4 x 4 tents over one big 8 x 8.
you can run veg and flower rooms that way, stagger your grows, do clone runs, harvest on a perpetual basis, increase over all production, the entire range of possibilities opens up.

a single 8 x 8 could handcuff you.

edit: two single 4 x 4 with either the 8000 or 6500 would be a best option. i'd still go with the 8 in the flower tent. 65 would do great for veg. maybe even smaller. i run a 200w rig in my veg space and a 600w in my flower room.

Some very sound advice being dished out. Another thing to consider is how much free time you have to invest in tending to your plants. To avoid falling over it's always best to learn how to walk before running. You came to the right place.

Brilliant thanks a lot for your reply Skunksta and AdaminCO - I am ideally looking at growing more than 5 as I ideally need a fairly high yield from each harvest. Admittedly for my first grow I shouldn't be biting off more than I can chew but it's more about initial investment and making sure I will be using the same tent / lights in future to avoid buying equipment again.

Again thanks for your insight, very much appreciated!

-Terpy
If you overcrowd the plants your yields will suffer. Don’t think in terms of more plants more yield because that’s not always the case.
Keep in mind that each plant with consume a gallon plus in full flower.
That starts becoming a pain in the rear as the number of plants rise.

What size grow tent for 4 plants?​

c8ec36e8fe1863edb08535aff0e1e400.jpg

As more states legalize weed growing and cannabis products price rise, more people start to join the cannabis community. The first thing to know is that cannabis is in strict need of the environment. Apparently, it’s hard to manage in living houses. As a result, grow tents come in as excellent solutions.

The only question is, what size grow tent do I need in my case?
  • What size grow tent for 1 plant?
  • What size grow tent for 2 plants?
  • What size grow tent for 4 plants?
  • What size grow tent for 6 plants?
  • What size grow tent for 8 plants?

How Much Space Does One Weed Need?

No matter how many plants you want to grow, or how much space you have available for them, you need to know how much area one weed needs as the first step for your indoor gardening. In general, how big cannabis can grow depends on many factors, such as training, root system... So the weed plants here are mature cannabis without training(or with simple training), grown in 3 or 5 gallon grow bags (the most widely used grow bag sizes).

A 3 or 5 gallon grow bag is 27 or 32 cm in diameter. An adult plant will be larger than the grow bag, about 16-17 cm larger. Therefore, an adult plant typically requires a flat space diameter of 43-49 cm (1.4-1.6 ft). In addition, you will need space for some equipment such as humidifiers, dehumidifiers, heaters, fans ... So, all things considered, 2x2 feet is the space needed for a weed to grow to adulthood.

What Size Grow Tent In My Case?

After knowing how much space an adult plant needs, you can very easily figure out how much space you need for your cultivation. The sizes of the common grow tents on the market are also based on this algorithm.

We Mars Hydro indoor grow tents provide the following sizes: 2x2ft, 2.3x2.3ft, 2x4ft, 3x3ft, 4x4ft, 5x5ft, 4x8ft, 8x8ft...Can you figure out how many plants they can contain? Here is a picture to explain to you how large an area is needed for 2,4,8 plants.

mars_hydro.png

How High Should My Grow Tent Be?

In addition to the horizontal space, the vertical space - height is an important role as well.

First, you need to take into account the distance between the light and the top - space for other equipment such as inline fans, carbon filters, ducting, etc. - one foot should be sufficient. The distance between the light and the plant canopy - depends largely on what grow lights you are using, and the vendor's recommended hanging height - we recommend you leave 8-24 inches. That's a total of 2-3 feet.

Then there's your weed plant. Cannabis can grow up to 13 feet tall in nature, but in a typical indoor grow, it's best to keep them under 1 meter (3.2 feet) with training.

In conclusion, you need a tent that is 5.2-6.2 ft. (158-189 cm)

The common 200 cm high grow tent on the market can perfectly meet your needs. And when you use some training techniques such as hitting the top or bending over ...... A 180 cm high tent is also just right. Of course, if your weed plant is a dwarf species, a 160 cm tent is also enough.

What Size Grow Tent For 4 Plants?

Finally, we have the conclusion, a 4x4x6.5ft (120x120x200cm) grow tent is the best choice for 4 weed plants.

In this way, we can know what sizes of grow tents are needed for different numbers of plants. Likewise, it is possible to speculate how many weed plants can be planted in common grow tents on the market.

what_size_grow_tent_for_x_plants_1_.jpg

Are There Any Exceptions?

As we mentioned at the beginning, the results of this calculation are based on weed plants planted in 3 or 5 gallon grow bags with only simple training.

If you grow the plant in an 80 gallon grow bag, the root system will be much bigger and so will your cannabis be - much bigger and taller.

If you use the training method - SOG (grows many small cannabis plants at once). For example, if grow 20 plants in 1 square meter space, then one plant will need only 0.05m2, (0.75x0.75ft approximately)

Well, some may ask, “Will it affect if I grow autoflowers?” The auto is no different from the common plant, except that some varieties may be shorter, so it does not prevent you from buying the common grow tents.

grow_bag_sizes_and_training_methods.png

After knowing the size of grow tents in your case, it's time to pick up a quality grow tent. Check out Mars Hydro Indoor Grow Tents to start a happy shopping tour!

Back
Top Bottom