AeroGarden Part Two - Featuring TopLED Reflector Series 96x3w

ok I think you are confusing sog for scrog
what I believe you want to do is a scrog or screen of green as opposed to sog or sea of green which requires a lot of clones and a lot of little containers
so is just a whole bunch of rooted clones put into flower in small containers so basically the whole floor is filled creating a sea of green
but you want the screen of green
just wanted to clarify that for you
Happy Sativaday

oh yea I wouldn't worry about cutting anything yet raise the screen a bit more maybe a foot above start working the plant so it just about fills the screen then flip to flower once you flip you could clear the bottom letting all the energy go to the areas above the screen
until then those other branches still have a chance to catch up and help fill the screen
just my thoughts

ok I think you are confusing sog for scrog
what I believe you want to do is a scrog or screen of green as opposed to sog or sea of green which requires a lot of clones and a lot of little containers
so is just a whole bunch of rooted clones put into flower in small containers so basically the whole floor is filled creating a sea of green
but you want the screen of green
just wanted to clarify that for you
Happy Sativaday

oh yea I wouldn't worry about cutting anything yet raise the screen a bit more maybe a foot above start working the plant so it just about fills the screen then flip to flower once you flip you could clear the bottom letting all the energy go to the areas above the screen
until then those other branches still have a chance to catch up and help fill the screen
just my thoughts

LOL...don't hold back man. No offense to good advise. Yep, it would seem that I WAS thinking of SCOG not SOG. But good information on SOG since that would be the graduation step from a grow cabinet/closet to room. Right?...LOL. "Working the plant"....by bending it over? I'm guessing tying something like string to the top, maybe below the top node and pull the plant over? Anyway and define "Flip"....releasing the string? And remember I only have 12" total height to work with this go around. I'll have 18" to work with next grow when I try and grow 6 plants. This go around was for training purposes and I've learned some valuable lesson in doing so. The next grow will be great.

Oh, and was just thinking that I could still use SOG with my AG on my next grow. I will try growing 3 different types of plants. Let them grow to "X" value height then trim the tops so the bottoms start growing and filling the canopy. Did I get that right?

This plant's grow is something else. I'm sure it's normal but for a newbie it's intense and keeps my attention. At the first 2 nodes I have a full 3 leaf set and the 3rd node is popping as well. Seems like it's growing a 1/2" to 3/4" a day.

I need to proceed with sex'in this thing so I don't waste valuable time. Is it safe to just sex the whole plant?

Gonna go cruzin for the answer and how-to's

Renegade69

IMG_0719_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0720_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0721_800x598_.jpg

wow 12 inch total is not a lot of height
the reason why the scrog net should be higher is you actually use the net itself to hold the top under the screen keeping it growing sideways until basically the side branching fills the net then you let the top go through with the rest
with as much space as you have id put the net away and just do some lst work if you have to then super crop but you could do it with the lst
people use strings cigar pipe cleaners and other things to hold and tie over the plant
don't tie tight around the plant tho tie loosely leaving room for the thing to get bigger or itll end up growing over it
and with limited height you also have to remember the plant will stretch 2-3 times in its size when you start bloom

wow 12 inch total is not a lot of height
the reason why the scrog net should be higher is you actually use the net itself to hold the top under the screen keeping it growing sideways until basically the side branching fills the net then you let the top go through with the rest
with as much space as you have id put the net away and just do some lst work if you have to then super crop but you could do it with the lst
people use strings cigar pipe cleaners and other things to hold and tie over the plant
don't tie tight around the plant tho tie loosely leaving room for the thing to get bigger or itll end up growing over it
and with limited height you also have to remember the plant will stretch 2-3 times in its size when you start bloom

Cronic,

Yea it's crazy but wanted to give this a go have some fun and hone my skills. SCOG for sure with the next grow and super cropping/topping them to being just bushes.

Begin practicing with the topping technic now.

So you've mentioned 1st work, super crop and 2-3 times in size when it starts to bloom. Define "1st work" please. Don't answer this question yet. I'm cruzin the boards and may find the answer before the night is out. I've already heard the term super crop and understand it to mean, cropping all the tops forcing new growth from the lateral branches? Not cutting but bending. Still learning here guys so be patient...lol. And can't I still do the super cropping and still put the trellis in after I bend the tops over?

However is there a term for actually cutting the tops thus creating new growth thus creating a more bushier plant? Yes this would take more overall time in the grow but it should give me multiple tops when I do flower and bloom right? Yes...it's called "Topping"...lol. Another lesson...lol.

New understanding of super cropping...lol. A group of technics which include crimping, bending, tying and topping. Topping is the best method for my situation.

The more I read the more conflicted I am but I'm settling on the "Topping" technic. Since this is just practice and since I don't really have enough height, I may just do some sort of super cropping technic instead of training. Because I don't think I'll have enough room to pull her over. And with this rate of growth I don't think I'll waist time sex'ing either. I'll just practice through and find out the sex when I cut back the lights. Was gonna abandon this grow when all my seeds arrived anyway. And I only buy/bought fem's. And I already have my old White Willow seeds in the frig. My plans for the next grow are already in motion (well in my head anyway).

So "Topping"...it is...and always subject to change...lol. I'll put the trellis back in at mid to 3/4 height so as to leave enough room for the flowering and blooming stage.

Already tonight I've edited this post 4 times. I've gone from training to super cropping to topping...lol.

Gonna go back to cruzin the boards for more info and suggestions.

Have a good evening.

Renegade69

I think I shoulda used caps its not 1st its LST or low stress training
you should be able to find lots of info on that here lots of people do it :thumb:

The General Hydroponic Flora series nutrients are meant to be used with tap water that already contains calcium and magnesium. If you do not have a hydroponic store near you, you can order a supplement or nutrients over the internet.

Here are 2 forum sponsors

www.perfectgardens.com

Understood on the nutrients. I always understood that tap water was bad. Is it too late to start using the tap water? My PPM for tap water is usually around 110-120. Are we assuming that's the minerals that's in it? ? And easy assumption that those minerals are Cal and Mag?

Going to look at the sponsors till you advise. Thanks King....

Your tap water is perfectly fine to use. I am pleased to announce that I will soon be featuring Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x in a grow journal. Kushington Farms grows with the Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x and has excellent harvests.

Lush LED Lighting grows amazing plants! Pics and videos!

@Kushington Farms

16 Feb 14, Sunday

Week 3, Day 5

This is a cut from my journal but wanted to first give prop's to Chronic for his suggestion of LST. Without that suggestion I would not have come across Light Addicts grow and LST technique.

Temp at 0800 was 84, humidity was 24%.

Highs and lows for the day were 79-88 and 20-31%

Plant height is 4", wingspan is 13". Lateral branches have developed from 1st, 2nd and 3rd node. 4th node lateral's are popping out.
IMG_0722_598x800_.jpg
IMG_0723_800x598_.jpg

Settling in on a super crop technique for my situation. LST!!!

The LST method I will use will be the one suggested by Light Addict. I've already started bending back the fan leaves where the full lateral branches have developed. 3 sets of fan leaves so far (the bottom first 3, single, triple and first 5 leaf fan). Except for the first single that broke when I bent it back the rest bent over with minimal effort and the plant seems to have endured the stress.

We'll know for sure in the morning. I hope those fan leaves make it since I want to clip them when the time is right and frame them...LOL...yea, yea sentimental...LOL.
IMG_0724_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0725_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0726_800x598_.jpg

Was going to wait till I have at least 7-8 true nodes but 5 is a good place to start. And will bend the others back as soon as the lateral's get long enough.

Still having issues with the humidity but mister will be here on Tuesday and I will put it in action on Wednesday when I change out the nutrients.

Still not concerned about sex'ing since this go around is practice for when I start my 3rd grow using all fem's.

Also having problems with res temp so I'm putting a baggie of ice in it when I can.

Other than that my temp ranges between 79-84 and humidity (correction soon to come) ranges in the low to mid 30's.

Here my friend. Firstly lovely little set up! Not seen one before like this so its pretty cool to me :)
Ok now I might add firstly that alot of my techniques are extreme and will scare the crap out of most people. Secondly you dont seem to have much to strap down to! With any of my training styles you need plenty of anchor points.
Now the Tutt style of mine is very time consuming and you need complete easy access to the plant. The Fluxing is easier and less work, yet your to far along for that now anyway.
So firstly if you want my tips! And I aint saying you should lol.:) I top just once, then train the branches and tuck leaves away.
I wont go Into too much until you let us know for sure your plans.
I am sure you can get a nice big low bush going though, so happy days!!!

Here my friend. Firstly lovely little set up! Not seen one before like this so its pretty cool to me :)
Ok now I might add firstly that alot of my techniques are extreme and will scare the crap out of most people. Secondly you dont seem to have much to strap down to! With any of my training styles you need plenty of anchor points.
Now the Tutt style of mine is very time consuming and you need complete easy access to the plant. The Fluxing is easier and less work, yet your to far along for that now anyway.
So firstly if you want my tips! And I aint saying you should lol.:) I top just once, then train the branches and tuck leaves away.
I wont go Into too much until you let us know for sure your plans.
I am sure you can get a nice big low bush going though, so happy days!!!

Light....welcome aboard. And hell yea I'll listen to your tips. At this point, now that I understand LST, I'll go down that path. I was already thinking of topping till I found your post. I think at this time it would be a good idea to do both. And I think I have a plan going forward..."Star" configuration from the center out. Cut the fan leaves in about a week and pull the laterals out in a star configuration. Adjusting as they grow. I'm figuring on keeping at lest 6-8 laterals for this. Whatcha think? I'm just cautious about Topping and LST at the same time.

And I have answer to the anchor points. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

Thanks again for your interest in helping.

I would use a cool mist humidifier to raise the humidity for your plant. You want 70°-90° Fahrenheit and 50%-70% humidity for vegetative growth and 30%-50% humidity for flowering.

King, I was going forward with the mister based on your earlier suggestion. It is ordered and should be here tomorrow.

Thanks,

17 Feb 14, Monday

Week 3, Day 6, Day 1 of LST....

Temp at 0600 was 82, humidity 29%. Night time ranges were 79-82. 26-35%

Plant looked healthy this morning after the first go round of bending.

Great news....humidifier and digital PH meter arrived. So this is going to be an experiment for the night trying to get an optimum range. Put humidifier right below fans as suggested. Both fans on. Filled tank and turned on to lowest setting. Soon as I turned it on it went from 31 to 44 then settled back down to 42. Will play with power setting to find the best setting. Both fans are on, on the right side of cabinet, one below the other. Turned lower fan off and humidity went up to 45. Turned mister up to high and humidity went up to 52 and rising. Topped out at 59, settled down to 57. Turned bottom fan on (both running) and humidity dropped to 57 and holding between 57-59.
IMG_0729_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0730_800x598_.jpg

Raised lights up since top of plant was within 3" of hood.

Plant overall height is 5". Each set of laterals is catching up with the node above. 5 nodes and counting. Hoping to get at least 7-8 nodes before topping.

I see your concerns about anchor points Light and raise you my response...Tie wrap squares. They are little squares with sticky tape on the bottom of them.
IMG_0727_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0731_800x598_.jpg

Whatcha think??? They are not permanent right now. I'm waiting for Light's response. And I believe you said it was a go to clip those fan leaves???

Hey buddy, ok start gently training the branches out now! You can remove the big top fans if you want. Or you kink the leaf stem and fold behind head of the branch, I sometimes have to get the head of branch slotted up between the blades of tye fan. Tying of gently if needed.
If that dont make much sense, its documented in my quick tutt guide.
Hope tuat helps. Either way is fine. :)

As for any other Qs just shout at me on my thread and then ill pop over here asap. Its just Ive got way to many subs to keep on top of at all times lol.
Best of buds!!

I wouldn't top yet Id get a few more nodes going. Also the single blade leaf node, the first one I normally scrap but that's just me :) its a judgment call for you!

18 Feb 14, Tuesday

Week 3, Day 7

Temp at 0600 was 82, humidity was 27. Night time ranges were 77-82 and 26-58%. Plant is looking good.

Power outage when I got home. Power was out for 6 hours but I checked the plant when power came back on and she looks good. Clipped the lower set of fan leaves and pulled back the laterals to a 45 degree angle. Only 3 started at this time. More ice in res. Mister turned on as soon as power came on but range was still good during outage.
IMG_0733_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0734_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0735_800x598_.jpg

Temp at 2200 was 79, humidity was 56. Night time ranges were ? and ?

19 Feb 14, Wednesday

Week 4, Day 1, Second day of LST

Temp at 0600 was 85, humidity was 42. Night time ranges were 73-86 and 30-55%

New look for her. Last night I began my first true round of training. Laterals were pulled to a 45 degree angle. So top of laterals were pretty much looking 45 degree from the main stem. This morning the top of laterals were already completely pointing up. Gently re-adjusted laterals to maintain the 45 degree but left the lateral top pointing up. As soon as they grow out I'll attach another string for training.
IMG_0736_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0737_800x598_.jpg

Whata rush...LOL.

Turned mister on during morning wake up and put more ice in res. Temp and humidity when I left was 72 and 63%. Reset thermostat.

Bath day....

Back
Top Bottom